Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Useless words that people say

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

"smorgasbord"

f**k off gob****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

There are downsides to living down the country and there are advantages. One of these advantages is that the use of 'Loike' 'Dude' 'Totes' 'Amazeballs' and other annoyingbastardwords is not as widespread. Thank god I'm a bogger. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I find that whole business buzz words/language quite psychotic. There was a thread on it here recently and I could not believe people spoke like that. I know each disciipline has its on lexicon but that is taking the p!ss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Some one the words/phrases people dislike are no worse than the ones they use.
    'Obviously' - bugs the hell outta me.
    CJC999 wrote: »
    People who start sentences with "But no, blah blah..." when they werent asked something that required a yes/no answer and in many cases werent asked anything at all, it just seems to be some peoples way of starting a sentence and drives me nuts!
    jmc1243 wrote: »
    Can't stand people saying LOL and awks and totes, oh and mort, really can't stand that.
    plys wrote: »
    ^^^

This...

"...revert back.." ...Why Back?? you idiot! :mad:

And you can highlight the error all you want, they just won't use the verb correctly because it doesn't 'sound right'..

Another similar term is myriad.
    People seem to always want to use the word 'of' after the word 'myriad'... It's just wrong. Stop it.

Another one the missus is ALWAYS at, does my nut in...
    "..used of.."... ie trying to say "...used to.." but getting it completely wrong.
    It's fine when she speaks quickly, it is not very obvious. But when she speaks slowly, it is torture.
    ooo ooo I've got one.

joined up thinking........

ARGHGHGHG ****ing muppets - the word you are looking for is integrated....and pretty much by definition if you use the phrase 'joined up thinking'....well there isn't going to be alot of integrated thinking going on

seriously does my head in that one
    Eramen wrote: »
    "I don't mean to offend you but.."

It drives me up the wall (no matter what comes after it) !

• Site Banned Posts: 41 rain10

what is with cavan people saying hi/haigh in every sentence ????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Why do alot of country folk just say "well" to you as a greeting???

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

paddy147 wrote: »

It's how we greet each other, like hello :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

plys wrote: »
    Another similar term is myriad.
    People seem to always want to use the word 'of' after the word 'myriad'... It's just wrong. Stop it.

Actually it's not — myriad is a noun and an adjective.
    Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.

myriad

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    It's how we greet each other, like hello :)

Fair enough,I suppose its all part of the culture of the areas and the locals too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dixiedan

Not really about what people say .....more about what they write.

Using "should of" instead of "should have".

"I should of bought a new phone" instead of "I should have bought a new phone".

While I'm at it, I really wish some people would use even a bit of punctuation, perhaps use a capital letter for I , a few paragraphs etc. when posting on forums. It makes it easier to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 LiamSevenfold

' Cool beans '

Anyone heard that?, Its annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

When people say "Buzzing" really drives me up the wall:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

When people say "first world problems" when you complain about something. Fcuk off. Just because I'm not a starving, Aids inflicted orphan from Ethiopia doesnt mean I'm not allowed complain about something trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

People who say things like 'totes' 'amazeballs', etc., but only in an ironic way.

Being a 'meta' dickhead still makes you a regular one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

"phenomanal" now used by sports journos ie Spain were phenonamal

I hate that word

Ultimatley an another word used in business as a buzz word cant stand it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its even more daft when you see people starting their speil on donedeal with "well, i have me xxx for sale...." :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Not something people say, but something I've noticed many times online: 'A lot' expressed as 'Alot'

Alot is not a word. Its 'a lot' not 'alot'.

When I see 'alot' in a post, I die a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Diaspora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Giselle wrote: »
    Not something people say, but something I've noticed many times online: 'A lot' expressed as 'Alot'

Alot is not a word. Its 'a lot' not 'alot'.

When I see 'alot' in a post, I die a little.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ie/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

:pac:

• Advertisement

"Its not your fault.."you are not to blame"

But then a little while later while licking some ex-french presidential ar5e..."it is our fault"

Which one is it Enda??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

"No offence but...". Usually doesn't end well.

Also, I know emoticons aren't expressions but if I see someone posting:

:') , XD, >< , -___- , o.O , D; , (",)

Or any of those other similar ones, I automatically lose respect for them. They do my head in.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Revelation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Physicalilty ~ the new sports pundit word that ALL love.

Guys ~ they are men/ lads/ boys. We are not in America, thank God, so why copy them?

Kids ~ this one really really pisses on my cornflakes. A kid is a young goat, you have not a young goat, you have a CHILD.

Rant over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have a friend who recently discovered memes and now uses them in conversation. She says things like 'noms' (meaning food) and 'buy ALL the clothes'. It makes me want to strangle her then destroy her computer. Memes are for the internet damn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The expression "Get in!".

You are not from London. You are from Balbriggan. Dick.

Found in plentiful supply over on the soccer forum.

It reads and sounds ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"an' all an' anyways"

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"happy out"

or "hippy oot like" as they say

Unless you're a 19 year old student from limerick, f**k off with the happy outs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Diaspora.

Great for a sore throat tho :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

seamus wrote: »
    "an' all an' anyways"

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

The only time is heard that was when Barry Murphy used to do impersonations of Frank Stapleton on Aprés Match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

People saying "I was in a dark place". Jesus! I feel like saying "Why didint you turn on the light"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

poppyvally wrote: »
    People saying "I was in a dark place". Jesus! I feel like saying "Why didint you turn on the light"

Woah! There's no beating around the bush with you anyway :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

poppyvally wrote: »

Maybe they were in a cave ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Disingenuous

When you don't have the balls to call someone a bull****ter or a liar.

I can see why you might have no choice to use this sometimes, say in your professional life. But in an anonymous online forum? Really? Seriously?

Two more words that annoy me, really and seriously. When used as a question. I can't believe you don't like the Beatles. Really? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Welcome.

Can't stand this when its used by politicians, eg, "we welcome this report", "we welcome this proposed legislatation".

God, it just sounds so meaningless. It does my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Hit the ground running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

"lessons learned"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I do this, it's both a greeting and an answer

Well?
    Well
    Are ya keepin well?
    Yes, well

:)

We teach it to the gardaí in Templemore!

They learn well and vaaaaaaaay hick el

• Registered Users Posts: 23 The Dummy Runner

In any ways - drives be nuts. Seems very localised.

So - at the end of every sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

When a$$holes say amazeballs.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

We're seeing "the green shoots of recovery".

Die, you pox. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Basically - completely useless word.

Also when anyone uses "small minority" or "vast majority". Completely incorrect. It's either a minority or a majority - nothing else !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

"So" and "so now" and "now" at the start of every sentence.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

tiny timy wrote: »
    When a$$holes say amazeballs.com

anyone who hads .com to the end of a word when they arent talking about a real website should be severely punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Tax-payer. Especially when used to give out about money spent that was far removed from the tax-payer, e.g. the expenses of the nationalised banks. In that case it's the bank's money, the government just happens to have a controlling interest. It's not like money was handed straight from citizens to the hands of employees (although undoubtedly some will argue that, also ignoring banking functions :p). Of course it's important that governments get value for money, but at the end of the day the money is no longer in the tax-payer's hands. There were many steps inbetween. If you ignore the steps in-between you could stretch the usage a little further and complain that private companies are wasting tax-payers money, since they make money from people who are tax-payers.

Whatever about those reasons, it is definitely overused. Impact gone. After the word tax-payer all I hear is whine-whine-whine, which is unfortunate because they are normally important issues! I've started replacing the word with the word government in my head and it seems to be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

delricyo wrote: »
    Basically - completely useless word.

Also when anyone uses "small minority" or "vast majority". Completely incorrect. It's either a minority or a majority - nothing else !

It's not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

I instantly think someone is a gob****e when they put/say "boom!" at the end of a sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I always hate people that throw in a "mate" or "my friend" when talking to someone. Its always usually when you're talking to someone that isn't your friend or your mate in any way.

That would be one of mine, even worse when someone says 'in anyways'

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

"I'm not going to lie" ...well I hope not.

"Be realistic" which can be translated as "See reality my way"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

"Much", used as a question. It's a method of avoiding indulging people frequently used on boards, or sometimes used to avoid explicitly attacking a poster...
    e.g

"Trolling much?"
    "Condescending much?"
    "Patronising much?"
    "Judgmental much?" (I used that one yesterday)
    "****-stirring much?"
    "Grasping at straws much?"

Somewhat useful on internet forums but when it encroaches on speech... People sound like American cheer-leaders from Nickleodeon shows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement