Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Useless words that people say

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

"Ja get me"? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

No.

Especially in answer to my request for anal sex

I dislike it immensely when someone begins a sentence with that noise that sounds like they are biting their tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

"meet with".
    The Taoiseach will meet with representatives from the Unite Trade Union.

Is the preposition with really required?
    Is there any other way to meet, apart from "with" someone?

No, Brian Dobson. There is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No.

Especially in answer to my request for anal sex

No is one of the most useful words ever

I'm sure people declining your advances find it useful too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No is one of the most useful words ever

I'm sure people declining your advances find it useful too.

It is. But only in the correct context. Like every other word.

later12 wrote: »
    "meet with".
    The Taoiseach will meet with representatives from the Unite Trade Union.

Is the preposition with really required?
    Is there any other way to meet, apart from "with" someone?

No, Brian Dobson. There is not.

But putting in the "with" doesnt affect the meaning. It may be unnecessary but it doesnt affect the meaning of the phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But putting in the "with" doesnt affect the meaning. It may be unnecessary but it doesnt affect the meaning of the phrase.

The whole point of the thread is about unnecessary words

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

As the above user said, this thread is about useless words.

"With" in "meet with" is a redundant, i.e. useless word; that's all.

• Advertisement

The whole point of the thread is about unnecessary words

I think you missed the point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

You have to hate the faux American accent adopted by a lot of young people these days. Words like OMG, LOL, dude, epic, totes, random and awkard are so ****ing annoying. And when did Irish people start calling their mother's "mom"? It grates on me when I hear them saying that.

Also those people who use a load flowery language in a sentence (where it's not needed) just to make themselves seem important. Oh and anything that comes out of a hipsters mouth is utter ****e.

I would rather listen to a pack of travellers for the day than those gob****es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

alleystar wrote: »
    And when did Irish people start calling their mother's "mom"? It grates on me when I hear them saying that.
    There is nothing new about this. Ive been calling my mother 'mom' since I could speak, and I'm 33.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

'Ah sure you're only blowing smoke up me hole'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

"Let's mole and roll".

I'm the only person I know who says this. It really pisses me off! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Abi wrote: »
    There is nothing new about this. Ive been calling my mother 'mom' since I could speak, and I'm 33.

Damn right, I've referred to herself as mom since the early eighties.

Drives me nuts when twats act like this is a new phenomenon, have you been living under a rock?

Also, who cares if lots of Irish people use Americanisms?
    I was raised pretty much on American movies, tv shows and music. I like America and American culture and identify with it probably more than Irish culture in a lot of ways, I make no apologies for that. Ireland (Dublin anyway) has been a mini America for decades. Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Lookit what I'm about to say carries great significance and wisdom and you should listen to it carefully as it will enrich your life.

Often used by RTE hurling analysts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Amazerbeams - new one on me but I know it's going to be annoying if people start to use it.

Also add bants, awkward, whatevs, cray cray, roflcopter, awkie momo :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

miamee wrote: »
    Amazerbeams - new one on me but I know it's going to be annoying if people start to use it.

Instead of awkward sometimes an extra r is included... Awrkward....Warterford....Chicargo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

"At The end of the day", "ya know what I mean" are probs the ones that get at me the most!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Well, I was on the commute to town, trying to think, when these girls were spouting the most incoherent nonsense, yada yada yada, I had to listen to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Well, I was on the commute to town, trying to think, when these girls were spouting the most incoherent nonsense, yada yada yada, I had to listen to music.

Oh my god like totally

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LaminatorSGL

'defin-i-tely'
    'eXcape'

And the usual totes awks momo like. Also stating the letters omg, 'oh my god' all the time is bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

miamee wrote: »

What's wrong with "awkward" ?

I've never heard it used before but "awkie momo" is now my favourite phrase in the whole world! (I guess "whole" in that context is a little unnecessary, as is "little" in the context of unnecessary - oops stuck in a loop: awkie momo, woohoo! :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    "no reccession in your house"
    Can't book a holiday without someone saying that
    Was pissing rain one day, Dublin Bus nowhere to be seen so I flagged a taxi, the three old biddies said that about me
    First world problem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

RainMaker wrote: »
    What's wrong with "awkward" ?

I've never heard it used before but "awkie momo" is now my favourite phrase in the whole world! (I guess "whole" in that context is a little unnecessary, as is "little" in the context of unnecessary - oops stuck in a loop: awkie momo, woohoo! :D )

Lol, I suppose it;s not the actual word but the use of it sometimes after something is said or done "AWkward"...sure I do it myself and I hate hearing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

a hundred and ten percent :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Verbage; mostly used by wankologists while debating the precise wording in a document, mail, or presentation.
    I looked it up out of curiosity the other day. Not even a real word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

GAA interview

"i spuz, d'ye know, at the end of the day, we were put to the pin of our collar, d'ye know like"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Verbage; mostly used by wankologists while debating the precise wording in a document, mail, or presentation.
    I looked it up out of curiosity the other day. Not even a real word!

They're probably trying to say verbiage and failing miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I will "ping" you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

'Obviously' - bugs the hell outta me.

1000+

It obviously does my head in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They're probably trying to say verbiage and failing miserably.

Oh, they're really not. I do mostly encounter it with people who use a whole lot of buzzwords and management speak (or wankologists as i called them)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=verbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Chillax

Staycation

The two most irritating words in the history of language.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13 damiendublin

Crimbo holliers (i fcuking hate this. Use English for fcuk sake!)

Without further adieu...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Without further adieu...

Yes? Out with it!

Yes? Out with it!

He just said goodbye- pretty sure he is gone :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Segway - just keeping thinking of a dopey two-wheeled yoke in Mallcop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Without further adieu...

Not to be a precious prick or anything, but the word is "ado", not adieu! :D

And if you think english is bad, the french are just as bad with their greetings meaning both hello AND goodbye, or "how are you?", which can depending on intonation mean both an answer AND a question!

Conversation with a french person-

"Salut"

"Salut! Comment vas tu?"

"Ca va, ca va?"

"Tres bien!"

"Adieu!"

"Salut!"

Drive, you, barmy! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Not to be a precious prick or anything, but the word is "ado", not adieu! :D

I think that was his point :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I think that was his point :).

D'oh! :(

morto! :o

Yet two more useless words people say! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

People who shorten the words and all down to ANAL! It drives me crazy and has caught me a few times when I see Facebook status like "had a gr8 n8 wit d gang anal" I recently saw a status like this and had to re read the whole thing as to me it reads anal not and all.

Another is "Scarla for yer ma for having ya" or even worse there is "scarla for your granny having yer ma who had ya"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

MJ23 wrote: »
    GAA interview

"i spuz, d'ye know, at the end of the day, we were put to the pin of our collar, d'ye know like"

I think there's a rule where GAA players/managers have to start each reply to a question with "Look, ...."

One that annoys me, or at least I don't really understand, is when folk say something like "He's only young".

What is the point of only in that sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

lisaj wrote: »
    Oh my god like totally

totes mc goats actuuuuallllllyy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

lisaj wrote: »
    First time starting a topic so I hope I have it in the right forum.

This is something that I’m starting to find a little grating, the use of buzz words all the time, be it in everyday conversation or on radio/TV.

The buzz word of the Brian Cowen era was “Going forward”.
    The words of choice on shows such as Jeremy Kyle are “at the end of the day” and “basically”.
    Some Irish favourites are, “you know what I mean like?”

I heard some debaters on radio the other evening starting a sentence with “we categorically and emphatically…”

What I find annoying now, is the use of “Absolutely” all the time, and the fact that it is now used as a replacement for the answer to any question in the affirmative.

What other words or phrases do you find annoying? (Apart from the obvious “like” of course)

Irregardless of what you may think, flammable and inflammable are the same thing. Any road, that's a whole nother situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

delricyo wrote: »
    ...Also when anyone uses "small minority" or "vast majority". Completely incorrect. It's either a minority or a majority - nothing else !

Sorry, but you're wrong.

51% is a small majority, 99% is a large - or one might even say "vast" - majority.

49% is a large minority, 1% is a small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

awesome

the most overused, unimaginative, banal word used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Proactive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

ANY politician using the Blairism 'Let me be perfectly clear about this.' That's real politic speak for I'm lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

'No offence but...'

Then they go right ahead and offend you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement