Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

80:1

the odds will be 100000:1 by the time we play italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Oh of course, this was the game we needed to win though. But we could surprise ourselves! It's always the hardest games we do well in.

Tell you what though, anyone who had Italy written off (and there were many who had) should be hanging their heads in shame tonight.
    Yeah you can never tell. I remember Holland taking France and Italy apart in the euros by three or four goals each, in their first two games, then getting demolished by Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Rougies

Tell you what though, anyone who had Italy written off (and there were many who had) should be hanging their heads in shame tonight.

Yeah but they're only four times world cup winners and nearly beat them in Bari not so long ago, so they're obviously a bit crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

When do Ireland ever play "fancy football" to be fair?

Exactly, but thats what some here think the solution is. :rolleyes:

Opticom wrote: »
    The winning mindset is to win and get the result, not to play fancy football.

No, that's the winners' mindset, which comes after the winning mindset.

Someone should explain that to Arsne Wenger. :D
    The problem with Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

I think we need to adopt the 6:2:2 formation and bring back Brady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpRn2Nl_zs

Bollocks. But getting them to pass the ball around a bit shouldn't be too much too ask, and if that's beyond their capabilities they should get the hell out of the competion tbh. Nobody said they should turn into stars overnight. But hoofing the ball up the pitch in hope is not football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I still think we've a fair chance of qualifying. Croatia will beat Spain and we'll beat Italy =)

• Advertisement

Johro wrote: »
    Bollocks. But getting them to pass the ball around a bit shouldn't be too much too ask, and if that's beyond their capabilities they should get the hell out of the competion tbh. Nobody said they should turn into stars overnight. But hoofing the ball up the pitch in hope is not football.

Ireland tried that for about 60 years and never qualified for a major tournament. Then the 'hoof it up the field' got us into Euro '88 to the quater finals of the world cup in '90, the world cup in 2002 and to Euro 2012. The talent is not there, face facts.

I still think we've a fair chance of qualifying. Croatia will beat Spain and we'll beat Italy =)
    If Carlsberg did Euro 2012..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Hopefully we get racially abused in the next match and the match gets abandoned:D

I don't think that's what people are saying at all :confused:

I don't think that's what people are saying at all :confused:

Some are, if you read back though the posts, that's what we're talking about.

Ireland tried that for about 60 years and never qualified for a major tournament. The hoof it up the field got us to the quater finals of the world cup. The talent is not there, face facts.
    Surely there's got to be a little more to their repertoire than that. Look, all I'm saying is that big ballooning punts upfield is just handing it straight back to the opposition. Given was guilty of it all night. Keep the ball down and pass it to create openings. If ya can't do that, you don't deserve to be there.

• Advertisement

Ireland tried that for about 60 years and never qualified for a major tournament. The hoof it up the field got us to the quater finals of the world cup. The talent is not there, face facts.

It will never be there with that attitude. It may be a good thing Ireland lost tonight because it might show young players in this country the way NOT to play. I'm sure they were watching the Italy/Spain game and hopefully took a lot more guidance from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I wouldn't judge Spain or Italy just yet, I'd like to see how they cope with us playing in their faces, and hassling them in good old what we do best style. 'Go and compete' neither of those teams will respond well to it imo. Spain find it hard to score...draw there and Italy could be rattled if it's all to play for in the last game. Lot of football left in this group yet and stranger things have happened. Not a lot but..............:D

Surely there's got to be a little more to their repertoire than that. Look, all I'm saying is that big ballooning punts upfield is just handing it straight back to the opposition. Given was guilty of it all night. Keep the ball down and pass it to create openings. If ya can't do that, you don't deserve to be there.

Hey, careful now, we qualified so we deserve to be there! But I agree the manner we qualified is not exactly inspirational.

Rougies wrote: »
    Hey, careful now, we qualified so we deserve to be there! But I agree the manner we qualified is not exactly inspirational.
    Well I keep being told in this thread that all yiz are capable of is the big hoof up the pitch, to be fair. ;)
    I didn't see that much of the qualification and maybe I expected more exactly because you qualified. I think the 'it's all we're capable of' attitude is self defeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was just looking at a report of the game on one of the red tops website. Some really vile, nasty and racial comments were left by our friends across the water.
    Hope France silence them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    It will never be there with that attitude.

You don't create talent with attitude or hype, did the celtic tiger teach you nothing ?

You don't create talent with attitude or hype, did the celtic tiger teach you nothing ?
    Telling them to knock it long doesn't exactly create talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

That just makes every game a lottery. I've seen Irish teams knock the ball around with confidence in games under previous managers. Maybe it's him then.

Name those managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

i see shay given is being brought in for a random drugs test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Hopefully we get racially abused in the next match and the match gets abandoned:D

What if we racially abuse ourselves, get the match abandoned and then afterwards claim we were just havin the craic ?

mackg wrote: »
    Name those managers
    Any one of 'em. I've seen Ireland passing the ball and generally playing much better, it's not an unknown quantity. It's not something that's never happened before. You all remember games where Ireland played well. If this long ball strategy persists maybe a manager with a little more ambition is what's needed. You can't win if you keep giving the ball away.

Telling them to knock it long doesn't exactly create talent.

You don't 'create' talent at professional level, either they have it at that stage or they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think we need to adopt the 6:2:2 formation and bring back Brady
    Funny enough I'm old enough to remember the Eoin Hand era and when Jack Charlton took over from Hand (who was unlucky not to be the first manager to get Ireland to two football finals ) he left Charlton the nucleus of that team he took to Euro 88 ,including Liam Brady who was not in Jacks 'long ball ' game .

We don't have a Liam Brady /Roy Keane type player in the Ireland squad , players not afraid to take on , beat players in the box and score ...basically make defenders aware of and to give a hard time of it . Ireland to fans and neutrals alike ,are not sweet on the eye to watch and most teams have Ireland sussed so until we find or produce these type players who have the skill and the confidence to pass the ball around ,Ireland will always just be at these tournaments to make up the numbers .
    He was unlucky with the 3rd goal but still , a sharper Shay Given on his day would have saved those headers .

I was just looking at a report of the game on one of the red tops website. Some really vile, nasty and racial comments were left by our friends across the water.
    Hope France silence them tomorrow.
    You really shouldn't pay to much attention to those red tops ,it's just a couple of tools on the overtime night shift who are paid to stir up the **** regardless of the nationality .

I hope England destroy France tomorrow . ( they probably won't )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »

Nice, she's polish btw.

Well I keep being told in this thread that all yiz are capable of is the big hoof up the pitch, to be fair. ;)
    I didn't see that much of the qualification and maybe I expected more exactly because you qualified. I think the 'it's all we're capable of' attitude is self defeating.

Exactly. It's more depressing than the loss today itself. Everybody making excuses and saying we were unlucky and the "ah sure aren't we great to there in the first place" attitude. It's really annoying. We played terrible football today and deserved to lose.
    You didn't miss anything from the qualifying campaign really. The highlight was Russia completely dominating us in Moscow but yet we held them to an "heroic" 0-0 draw. The media loved it of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

"De Gaffah" - aka Steve Staunton - was one of the pundits on MOTD tonight.

Watched the Spain v Italy highlights. Seemed like a decent game - odd set-ups from both teams though. No strikers for Spain & a back three for Italy made up of two centre backs and a midfielder.

You don't 'create' talent at professional level, either they have it at that stage or they don't.
    Answered your own post there too. ;)
    I can't see Ireland doing much, playing the way they are, okay? I think the long ball strategy's at fault, I realise players have their limitations but simple passing of the ball and keeping possession should not be beyond them. And it's not. There's no lack of drive, but a lack of confidence, and maybe ambition. Just repeating 'we just don't have the players' doesn't change the fact they can do more than 'the big hoof up the pitch', which is hopeful at best and usually results in the opposition picking it up end starting their next attack. Every time Given got the ball you knew exactly what he was going to do with it, and the same goes for the player in green who did happen to get on the end of it, another big ballooning cross for a Croat to head away.

http://h13.abload.de/img/wut_2cjd3a.gif
    Nice, she's polish btw.
    Really ? ...ahhh .

Having seen her on the tv screen tonight I was thinking '' this knocks on the head once and for all that Ireland doesn't have beautiful good looking women '' :pac: ;)

Answered your own post there too. ;)

Nope, just restated the facts you've been trying to ignore ;)
    I can't see Ireland doing much, playing the way they are, okay? I think the long ball strategy's at fault, I realise players have their limitations but simple passing of the ball and keeping possession should not be beyond them. And it's not. There's no lack of drive, but a lack of confidence, and maybe ambition. Just repeating 'we just don't have the players' doesn't change the fact they can do more than 'the big hoof up the pitch', which is hopeful at best and usually results in the opposition picking it up end starting their next attack. Every time Given got the ball you knew exactly what he was going to do with it, and the same goes for the player in green who did happen to get on the end of it, another big ballooning cross for a Croat to head away.

Grand, but if they played your brand of football, it would have been nice to watch for 5 mins, and then it would have been a 6 - 1 defeat. You're not facing facts.

Latchy wrote: »

Really ? ...ahhh .

Having seen her on the tv screen tonight I was thinking '' this knocks on the head once and for all that Ireland doesn't have beautiful good looking women '' :pac: ;)

I have to hand it to the TV producers in EURO 2012, the hot chick in the crowd shots are a very welcome development.

Really ? ...ahhh .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

I actually think *some* players are on the take, involved in match fixing, whatever you want to call it.
    Whether it's "silly accidents", "losing concentration" (in the first half ffs), defenders ball watching in their own box while their own striker is the only one to take it upon himself and get the ball to clear it or the "wow really, you pass the ball slowly across your own fking goal wtf" moments. Sorry but, stinks of match fixing. Same with Cech the other night, professional "oh I forgot to fully extend my arms" moment for the third goal. Fk off !

How you can get to such a high level of professional football and have the above and other such obvious crap happen as if they were just "honest mistakes guv" is beyond me. It stinks.

So with that in mind, I felt the game was intentionally thrown against Croatia as betting wise, they were the one team of the three we have to play that were considered the weakest, and by all accounts the vast majority of punters in Ireland laid down bets for an Irish win.
    Smart money will be put now on Ireland beating both Spain and Italy and qualifying out of the group along with Croatia.

• Advertisement

Shay wasn't high, the balls out to the players were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Ireland tried that for about 60 years and never qualified for a major tournament. Then the 'hoof it up the field' got us into Euro '88 to the quater finals of the world cup in '90, the world cup in 2002 and to Euro 2012. The talent is not there, face facts.
    The team of 2002 was one of the most creative teams we've ever had. Mick McCarthy had us playing great stuff.

As for the previous 60 years a combination of gross FAI mismanagement and very dodgy referreeing robbed us in the 70s and early 80s.

QUOTE BY Johro

I got ''Emmbedding Disabled By Request ''

But anyhows , my post was more a pun on all those AH threads on the merits of good/bad looking Irish women v '' dem forren wans ''

Grand, but if they played your brand of football, it would have been nice to watch for 5 mins, and then it would have been a 6 - 1 defeat. You're not facing facts.
    They can't hold on to the ball and put together some low passes for more than five minutes? Don't tell me I'm not facing facts. Endlessly. I'm relaying what happened on the pitch today.
    I've faced the fact it doesn't work.

I have to hand it to the TV producers in EURO 2012, the hot chick in the crowd shots are a very welcome development.
    Yep ,very pleasant distraction and much more to come .

I got ''Embedding Disabled By Request ''

But anyhows , my post was more a pun on all those AH threads on the merits of good/bad looking Irish women v '' dem forren wans ''
    You'll have to click on 'watch on youtube' then. :p It's worth it. Yeah I never got the 'Irish Wimminz Are Ugly' thing. It's just crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

oxo_ wrote: »
    I actually think *some* players are on the take, involved in match fixing, whatever you want to call it.
    Whether it's "silly accidents", "losing concentration" (in the first half ffs), defenders ball watching in their own box while their own striker is the only one to take it upon himself and get the ball to clear it or the "wow really, you pass the ball slowly across your own fking goal wtf" moments. Sorry but, stinks of match fixing. Same with Cech the other night, professional "oh I forgot to fully extend my arms" moment for the third goal. Fk off !

I see.
    How you can get to such a high level of professional football and have the above and other such obvious crap happen as if they were just "honest mistakes guv" is beyond me. It stinks.

Ooookay...
    So with that in mind, I felt the game was intentionally thrown against Croatia as betting wise, they were the one team of the three we have to play that were considered the weakest, and by all accounts the vast majority of punters in Ireland laid down bets for an Irish win.
    Smart money will be put now on Ireland beating both Spain and Italy and qualifying out of the group along with Croatia.

Right.

You'll have to click on 'watch on youtube' then. :p It's worth it. Yeah I never got the 'Irish Wimminz Are Ugly' thing. It's just crap.
    Strangly enough ,my sister is married to a Dutchman to :p

Strangly enough ,my sister is married to a Dutchman to :p
    Yeah we only come here for the women :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Don't know if this was already here but....
    Any have a link to a clip of the start? When the teams were coming out of the tunnel, there were lads carrying a huge Irish flag over the crowd in the stand. The flag said "Sharon Curleys' pregnant". It was funny as fcuk!

Yeah we only come here for the women :pac:
    Actually ,my sister lives in Hollond which is were she met her husband :pac:( she's still lives there now to )
    neaideabh wrote: »
    Don't know if this was already here but....
    Any have a link to a clip of the start? When the teams were coming out of the tunnel, there were lads carrying a huge Irish flag over the crowd in the stand. The flag said "Sharon Curleys' pregnant". It was funny as fcuk!
    Again ? :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement