Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

^^ Wha ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

/puts on tinfoil hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Holland lost their opening game in Euro 88 and went on to win it.
    Spain lost their opening game in World Cup '10 and went on to win it.
    Ireland lost their opening game.......... oh forget it !

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Walters or Long need to start, or even both. I really hope Keane doesn't start this time. He might be more lively off the bench.

As for trolling about the game being fixed. LOL

I watch alot of teams and despite being biased, they ARE very committed. Plenty of heart and work rate. Club football is far worse for uncommitted players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ares wrote: »
    Wow Shaqiri is now with Belguim? When did this happen?

I mean to say the likes of Belgium and Switzerland.

That's bollocks. Absolute spoof bollocks. 17 of the 23 man squad played in the Premiership this year. 18 if Kevin Foley wasn't withdrawn for McShane.

10 of the current squad aren't Premier League players.
    Passion and spirit are the kind of cliches that continue to hold back Irish football. Until technical ability becomes more valued than commitment and passion then Irish football will stay in a technical black hole. It should be a bonus not a key requirement.

But what we're lacking is technical ability, but that's nothing to do with being held back by cliches & has everything to do with us producing players over the last decade that are only really fit for mid to lower-end table Premiership teams, at best. And at worst, Championship level players or the likes of Robbie Keane - who, let's face it - is well past his best before date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

oxo_ wrote: »
    Ball watching (first half ffs), feigning signs of losing concentration (again, first half lol), passing the ball stupidly around and across your own goal, slow pass backs from MIDFIELD to your defenders when there's plenty of options going to the wings or just straight up the middle going forward.
    Bollox, I do NOT believe for a second that players at that level in the game can make such consistently stupid "mistakes" after getting this far, and in the first half too, never mind the second where it wouldn't be as obvious.
    Some players on the field were intentionally feigning mistakes and intentionally trying to lose the ball or give it away. Funnily enough the same players who always refuse to sing the national anthem.

Even Barton tweeted about Cech's "failing to extend his arms fully" to save the third Goal against them the other night, the sport is going to be destroyed by scum throwing games with their professional "mistakes".

Watch Spain throw the game against Ireland in the second half.
    Italy won't be allowed to progress due to too many of them involved and being caught already for match fixing, their whole league is destroyed because of it so they'll also throw their game against Ireland.

I like your style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Another 3 points:

1. Ireland aren't rubbish. They're not the most talented bunch of players, but they're still decent enough to get themselves into the Euros - a feat that even the likes of Belgium couldn't achieve with their stars like Shaqiri, Vermaelen, Vertonghen etc.

Belgium were alot more unlucky with their group draw than us, Turkey, Germany and Austria and they don't really have a striker just midfielders and Central defenders.
    2. Most of the Irish squad aren't Premiership players.

Agree, and some of the Premiership players within the squad are bit part players at their clubs.
    3. The one thing the players don't lack - above anything else - is passion and spirit when they play for their country. It may not have seen like that in how they played last night, but in many ways, last night's game was a very a-typical Ireland performance.

Because we lack quality, the players have to play to a set system with little margin for error unfortunately they totally failed to do that last night. Sometimes the first group games throw up a team that looks better than it is, unfortunately me thinks that its going to be Croatia rather than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

If Denmark could win this competition (as they did in 1992) then it is surely not too much to hope that it wouldn't be beyond ROI to do the same sometime? All this "small population" stuff doesn't butter any parsnips with me.
    We don't have a great squad now but we should never go into these competitions just to make up the numbers.
    Going to watch England and France now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Jesus i hate Adrian Chiles.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yes, we need to beat Spain so we should definitely leave our all time top scorer on the bench.

Damn straight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Never liked him myself ,as bland as they come and he seemed to think it funny seeing Givens chalk coverd nose after the 3rd goal .

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

I mean to say the likes of Belgium and Switzerland.

Oh, that makes it alright so.

10 of the current squad aren't Premier League players.

Name them please. And that doesn't contradict my statement that this season, 2011/12, 17 of the Irish squad played in the Premier League with McGeady playing at a good level.
    But what we're lacking is technical ability, but that's nothing to do with being held back by cliches & has everything to do with us producing players over the last decade that are only really fit for mid to lower-end table Premiership teams, at best. And at worst, Championship level players or the likes of Robbie Keane - who, let's face it - is well past his best before date.

Because passion, committment, fire and brimstone are the attributes most desirable in players that has resulted in the players that have been produced. Until a radical overhaul of the Irish youth system happens where technical ability is put before all else we will produce mid level premier league players like Stephen Hunt and Richard Dunne.

And to the people suggesting dropping Robbie Keane. Jesus fúcking wept. Absolute madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

England are playing well. yes well done. First international goal for him.

Some of the England play around the box has been good and they deserve to be 1-0 up .

good save.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A weight has been lifted off Englands shoulders in this tournament by the press not heaping too much expectation on them.

good goal from France.

Beaten at the near post.

Very poor from Joe Hart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I have my money on the bels for the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Beaten at the near post.

Very poor from Joe Hart.

Wtf are u talking about theirs 4 players in the box he saw it late

• Advertisement

Keeper should never be beaten at his near post.

He wasn't completely unsighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

+100.

Name them please.

McGeady, Keane, St Ledger, Green, O'Dea, Mc Shane, Forde, Ward, Doyle. I might have mistakenly counted Westwood in the ten.

Jesus the ref isn't giving England a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Ger Canning is a terrible commentator

England kept their shape well and 1-1 was fair result for both teams .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

England looked very impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

You'll never beat the English! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Go on Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Kamjana wrote: »
    Forget about last night and watch this video,if it doesnt put a smile on your face then you are dead inside :)

You're right, that brought a smile to my face. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Kamjana wrote: »
    Forget about last night and watch this video,if it doesnt put a smile on your face then you are dead inside :)

Why are they wearing a Scottish team's jersey and not an Irish one? Would've thought a plain green one like the Irish jersey would've made more sense, if not the Irish shirt itself.

Catchy song, though - there should be more Irish songs/chants based on trad songs.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Why are they wearing a Scottish team's jersey and not an Irish one?

Because they're WA heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

Why are they wearing a Scottish team's jersey and not an Irish one?.

background on the thai tims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

SHEVSHENKO!!!!

Delighted for Ukraine, dunno why but I found myself saying YES when they equalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

AC is half-Croatian (his mum's Croatian).

Brilliant.

This is why I love football.

You just never know whats gonna happen.

2-1. First group in my Dual Forecast accum thats going my way.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Cork24 wrote: »
    I have my money on the bels for the world cup

Worth a punt if they can make it out of a group with Serbia, Croatia, Wales and Scotland in it. I think Switzerland might be worth a punt for a quarter final WC spot, weak enough group headed by Norway and Slovenia. 2009 Under 17 World Cup Winners, Runner up of the last under 21 European Championship so they have plenty of young talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Why are they wearing a Scottish team's jersey and not an Irish one? Would've thought a plain green one like the Irish jersey would've made more sense, if not the Irish shirt itself.

Catchy song, though - there should be more Irish songs/chants based on trad songs.
    Because you didn't send them money to buy Irish t-shirts, and they simply can't afford them.
    Better find this place, and send them THANK YOU letter.
    It would make smile on these kids faces.

McGeady, Keane, St Ledger, Green, O'Dea, Mc Shane, Forde, Ward, Doyle. I might have mistakenly counted Westwood in the ten.

Doyle, Keane, and Ward are all premiership players. They played in it this season. Even though Wolves have been relegated we are still in the 2011-12 season.

McGeady is Premiership quality, he's playing in the upper echelons of the Russian league, a quality league.

St Ledger, Green, O'Dea, McShane and Forde fair enough are clearly not premier league players but the truth is far from the 10 you misleadingly put forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Would you like a Jonnie Onion Ring, Bill?

Maybe they didn't want to wear a jersey with 3 plastered across the front either.

Doyle, Keane, and Ward are all premiership players. They played in it this season. Even though Wolves have been relegated we are still in the 2011-12 season.

McGeady is Premiership quality, he's playing in the upper echelons of the Russian league, a quality league.

St Ledger, Green, O'Dea, McShane and Forde fair enough are clearly not premier league players but the truth is far from the 10 you misleadingly put forward.

Doyle barely played this season for a team that got relegated. I still think he is a half decent player but he's not world class.

Ward played for the same team and is nowhere near good enough.

Keane played six games for Villa and is way too old to be playing the lone strikers rloe.

McGeady is absolute sh1te. He's not even League 1 quality, let alone Premiership quality. Playing in the Russian premier league means nothing tbh. Its a small step up from the SPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Doyle barely played this season for a team that got relegated. I still think he is a half decent player but he's not world class.

Keane played six games for Villa and is way too old to be playing the lone strikers rloe.

McGeady is absolute sh1te. He's not even League 1 quality, let alone Premiership quality. Playing in the Russian premier league means nothing tbh. Its a small step up from the SPL.

Kevin Doyle made 31 League Appearances for Wolves this season.

Your opinion of the Russian League is well off the mark as well.

Barely played! :rolleyes: Started 26 and appeared as a sub in another 7. So he didn't play in 5 games this season.

The point being made was that Ireland had few premier league players. Doyle and Ward were given as examples. Those examples were wrong.

Keane shone in his 6 games with Villa and was outstanding. He still very much has it. I'm not sure what the lone strikers role has anything to with it. He's not being asked to play that position.

Drogba played the 'lone striker role' pretty well in May at 34. Surely he was too old for this?

Again this is bollocks. League 1 quality. He was voted 2nd best right winger in the Russian league this season. Any team outside of the top 8 in England would be delighted to welcome a supposed 'League 1' player into their team.

Also the Russian league is the 7th best in Europe, the SPL is 18th. Far more than a small step. You're ignorance of the continually improving Russian League and the money being pumped into it is amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Cheer up Ireland, there's two games at hand AND ... at least you won't have any water borne diseases like these gentlemen once it's all over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=nc-kgXz_OzU#

I wouldn't even want to see what would happen if we won it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hope the water gets purified after having them wading in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hope the water gets purified after having them wading in it.

Not to mention yer man puking 8 minutes in :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement