Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

We're going to have to play like Chelsea did v Barcelona in the CL semis when we play Spain.

If we come out with a result, can't wait to hear all the tools and Barcelona fanboys who were posting shyte on Facebook like how "football was the loser" it was "a bad night for football", justify Ireland playing with 11 men behind the ball :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

This is how Irish team was welcomed on their training session in Gdynia.

text is in polish, scroll for two videos.
    http://www.tvn24.pl/tlumy-oklaski-i-welcome-to-gdynia,255987,s.html

about 15k Polish attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Don't care about this. Pissed off that Blue Bloods won't be on for the next 3 weeks because of the Euros. More annoyed that my aunt entered me into a pool (I got Sweden) without asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Hopefully, especially for the ones who don't like football, everyone will get behind the team. Go down the pubs, buy the jerseys, buy the BBQ's and have a great 10 days and maybe more.

There's something about Ireland in a major tournament that we seem to pull a performance outta nowhere. It's a great tournament, even better when your own team is there. So we can get out and enjoy despite all the doom and gloom thats in the news every day!

COYBIG!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    This is how Irish team was welcomed on their training session in Gdynia.

text is in polish, scroll for two videos.
    http://www.tvn24.pl/tlumy-oklaski-i-welcome-to-gdynia,255987,s.html

about 15k Polish attended.

Have the people of Gdansk adopted Ireland as their second team, Marcin?

IrishAm wrote: »
    Have the people of Gdansk adopted Ireland as their second team, Marcin?

No
    People of Gdynia did

Gdynia is larger than Cork with more than 250.000 people living there
    ( it is my family home city as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Firstly nah I dont really care, I only care for the World Cup to be honest. Europe is yawn.

Secondly, have we never gotten into this before? This is the first time ever I recall such hubub about the European cup or whatever it is. How often is it held?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Firstly nah I dont really care, I only care for the World Cup to be honest. Europe is yawn.

Secondly, have we never gotten into this before? This is the first time ever I recall such hubub about the European cup or whatever it is. How often is it held?

Every 4 years. Our last appearance was 1988.

There's only 16 teams in it so qualification can be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Football? Kicking a pigs bladder around a field? Sorry, not interested.

I prefer open-air combat with swords, riffles and cannons. I say we start with Belgium, nobody likes Belgium. Europe wouldn't be at a loss without it.

• Advertisement

google it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Every 4 years. Our last appearance was 1988.

There's only 16 teams in it so qualification can be difficult.

It will be a lot easier when UEFA expand it to 24 teams. We should be looking to qualify every four years now. The World Cup will be a lot tougher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Much higher standard than the WC.

Outside of Europe not much to shout about usually apart from Argentina and Brazil.

Group stages far more interesting in the Euros than in the WC. WC usually only gets going at the knockout stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

If you like the World Cup then you should like the Euros. The four groups could go anyway.

With the World cup the group stages aren't as exciting because there's a good few weak teams. This is shaping up to be a very exciting tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Been given the task of doing up a competition for our workplace for Euro 2012, one suggestion is that as there are sixteen departments within the building, let every dept select a team and if their team wins, that dept win a prize/

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What kind of "prize"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you cant let people choose a team ...or no-one will choose the crap teams.

A draw where a selected/nominated member of each team chooses a piece of paper from a hat each with a number (1-16) - this is their position for the team draw (so it is completely fair).... then that person picks another piece of paper to select their chosen team.

you could also do bonus prizes for each group winners and a wooden spoon (team with lowest points and lowest goals scored)

just gives a bit more of a spread of prizes and more happy people.

theres always the option of letting them choose their top scorer ? (golden boot) ...this way you may have tiebreaker situation where a number of people choose the same person.

you should have a score prediction game also - predict 1 teams group results correctly - win a prize !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

So, whats the prize? Whoever doesn't win gets fired? That'd be a motivator. Or amusing in a horrible way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Spot prize for whoever has theteam that knocks out England.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

no one would be choosing their own team - be randomly drawn.

Some very good ideas there, keep them coming! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Been given the task of doing up a competition for our workplace for Euro 2012, one suggestion is that as there are sixteen departments within the building, let every dept select a team and if their team wins, that dept win a prize/

Any suggestions?

Let everyone pick their own selections, €10 to enter, share out the money 1st 2nd 3rd and something to a local charity, this is what we have done at work.

Pick the qualifiers from the groups and then the quarter finalists etc, points for each correct team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Simple really.

Print this and cut out the teams

Every dept picks one at random and you can do whatever you like with the winnings. Generally 1st and 2nd get paid in the euro's as there will be 2 in the final.

The cost of an entry is up to you. If they are large depts you might want more than €10 as €100 winnings between say 6 people is very little.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Spot prize for whoever has theteam that knocks out England.

I have money on England, hope they do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

hondasam wrote: »
    I have money on England, hope they do well.

Ferdinand left out, Lampard injured and Rooney suspended for the group games.

I wouldn't be too confident if I were you.

That said, I threw down a score on Ireland at 80/1. :pac:

IrishAm wrote: »
    Ferdinand left out, Lampard injured and Rooney suspended for the group games.

I wouldn't be too confident if I were you.

That said, I threw down a score on Ireland at 80/1. :pac:

I'm not confident now. I have money on Spain as well and I had to put something on Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm not confident now. I have money on Spain as well and I had to put something on Ireland.

Only 13 more teams to bet on and you have all bases covered :rolleyes:

:pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    Only 13 more teams to bet on and you have all bases covered :rolleyes:

:pac:

I picked England ages ago but it's looking unlikely now. I put money on spain yesterday and I would always put something on Ireland.
    How many goal do you think will be scored? I picked 48 but that's not including penalties, forgot about that.

I picked England ages ago but it's looking unlikely now. I put money on spain yesterday and I would always put something on Ireland.
    How many goal do you think will be scored? I picked 48 but that's not including penalties, forgot about that.

I would say games will average somewhere between 2 - 2.5 goals per game (not including penalty shoot outs).

Ireland's 10-0 victory against Spain will prob skew the average a small bit :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ladjacket wrote: »

Any suggestions?

You could add a top scorer market into the mix too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't think the Spanish are gonna win this one.

I predict ze Jermans.

Dark horses; Russia

Top Scorer; Ibrahimovic/Pololski

As for Ireland, it all depends on what happens Sunday - not only us against Croatia but I think the Spain v Italy result will be huge for us in the long run too. I really don't want Croatia going into their 3rd game against a Spanish team that have already secured a place in the quarter final - that would be a massive advantage to Croatia even if it's only 2nd place that the Spanish are guaranteed at that point. If however we could play our 3rd match against an Italian team already qualified for the quarter finals, that massive advantage could be ours! So I'd love to see Italy beat Spain!

• Advertisement

Lovely little double of France to beat England at 6/4 and Spain to beat Italy (3/4) courtesy of Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

Must say some nice Tweets from Gary of Snow Patrol.

gary lightbody ‏@garysnowpatrol
    Euro 2012 a few days away. Too excited! Come on Rep of Ireland! Get behind the lads good people. We're all brothers and sisters. One love!

gary lightbody ‏@garysnowpatrol
    I am a proud Northern Ireland fan but I love the Rep of Ireland too. I have no politics nor religion. Just love. #irelandnorthsoutheastwest

They play in Gdansk in Poland the night before Spanish match for Debra Ireland if anybody is going to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Central midfield is where we'll come undone. A serious lack of quality in this area stifles any creative attacking play and heaps even more pressure on the back four. Hence while on the ball our defense consistently bypass midfield by launching high balls up to our diminutive strike pair of Doyle and Keane, the lads would be better served by having balls threaded into their feet. I think if we can utilise our wings where we do have better talent we'll stand a better chance of getting the results we need.

Central midfield is where we'll come undone. A serious lack of quality in this area stifles any creative attacking play and heaps even more pressure on the back four. Hence while on the ball our defense consistently bypass midfield by launching high balls up to our diminutive strike pair of Doyle and Keane, the lads would be better served by having balls threaded into their feet. I think if we can utilise our wings where we do have better talent we'll stand a better chance of getting the results we need.

You do know this is AH and not the Soccer forum? :confused:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

You do know this is AH and not the Soccer forum? :confused:

:p
    Talking about football in a football related thread, Bannable offence tbf

gustavo wrote: »
    Talking about football in a football related thread, Bannable offence tbf

Talking in depth tactics tho, these are the only tactics we need (I hope this is the right clip cos I can't access YouTube at work :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Lovely little double of France to beat England at 6/4 and Spain to beat Italy (3/4) courtesy of Paddy Power.

Yeah have to say both those odds stood out for me as well.

Also the Germans to beat Portugal at 4/5 i thinkis great value as well.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Yeah have to say both those odds stood out for me as well.

Also the Germans to beat Portugal at 4/5 i thinkis great value as well.

Treble it is so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Of course you have the begrudging, holier than thou, drainer brigade sitting on youtube spouting "it's disgraceful" blah blah .. but sure no one cares.

We may be ****e ... but make no doubt about it, we have the best fans in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qykUdp4qRXE

Love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think this comment on youtube sums it up perfectly.....
    When will the world realise that we're actually a nation of twats?

Although I wouldn't expect anything less than this sort of behaviour from football fans.....vile beasts.....<adjusts monocle>.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Is it not the job of other countries to patronise us??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If it were the Irish team being greeted like that by English fans there would be murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

F*ck sakes, just after watching the full video. Absolute stupid behaviour.

When I go on holiday I try to be as nice as I can as I like other nationalities to go "Oh! The Irish must be a nice bunch of people and not at all as the media portrays them..."

Well done lads, making an absolute show of the nation yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is it not the job of other countries to patronise us??

It seems there's enough social hermits in this country to do the job instead. Thankfully, that doesn't dampen irish spirits abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

We're goooooin to da bleedin eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Imagine if it had been a group of English fans booing the Irish team arriving.

I think it looks very very bad. I'm embarrassed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

woodoo wrote: »
    Imagine if it had been a group of English fans booing the Irish team arriving.

I think it looks very very bad. I'm embarrassed by it.

It certainly would be seen as "banter" anyway thats for sure. I think its rather pathetic myself.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Oh my God! They actually have a button on Youtube videos to remix them?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Is this not standard football fan behaviour?
    Irish football fans are always going to maintain a rivalry with the English even if the English don't care much about our football team.

Don't see what is to get fussed about.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement