Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Quay jumping happened in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

The Quay jumping happened in Dublin.

Oh was it ? my mistake. I thought it was somewhere in poznan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Oh was it ? my mistake. I thought it was somewhere in poznan.

Yeah 3 the sponsers were running a big screen down there. I think its happening again on Thursday, they'd want to have a couple of lifeguards on duty this time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Check this video below - It was recorded during POLAND - GREECE, it shows Polish Fans in Warsaw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Ares wrote: »
    Doyle, Keane, and Ward are all premiership players. They played in it this season. Even though Wolves have been relegated we are still in the 2011-12 season.

McGeady is Premiership quality, he's playing in the upper echelons of the Russian league, a quality league.

St Ledger, Green, O'Dea, McShane and Forde fair enough are clearly not premier league players but the truth is far from the 10 you misleadingly put forward.

Certainly an improvement on the Scottish League(18th) but still only ranked by UEFA as the 7th best League in Europe. The Premiership is ranked 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I found tonight's game very confusing with the Ukraine wearing yellow.

Every time they went forward, I couldn't understand why Schevchenko seemed to be playing for Sweden.

And the stadium was full of Swedes. Not a Ukranian in sight.

:confused:

McGeady is Premiership quality

Funniest post I've read on Boards in ages. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lumbo wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle made 31 League Appearances for Wolves this season.

Your opinion of the Russian League is well off the mark as well.
    Barely played! :rolleyes: Started 26 and appeared as a sub in another 7. So he didn't play in 5 games this season.

The point being made was that Ireland had few premier league players. Doyle and Ward were given as examples. Those examples were wrong.

Keane shone in his 6 games with Villa and was outstanding. He still very much has it. I'm not sure what the lone strikers role has anything to with it. He's not being asked to play that position.

Drogba played the 'lone striker role' pretty well in May at 34. Surely he was too old for this?

Again this is bollocks. League 1 quality. He was voted 2nd best right winger in the Russian league this season. Any team outside of the top 8 in England would be delighted to welcome a supposed 'League 1' player into their team.

Also the Russian league is the 7th best in Europe, the SPL is 18th. Far more than a small step. You're ignorance of the continually improving Russian League and the money being pumped into it is amusing.

I stand corrected regards to Doyles appearances for Wolves last season. It just seemed to me that he was sitting on the bench everytime he played. His 4 goals last season didn't really light the world up did it.

As for McGeady, he was voted second best right winger in 2010, not 2011.
    Still doesn't mean anything. He's a clueless player when he plays for Ireland. Head down and runs to the byline and then hasn't the intelligence to do much else.

The Russian league with its zero champions league wins and two europa league wins, a national team with one european championships win in 1960 and zero world cup wins really makes them heavyweights in world football alright. It was ranked 7th best league in Europe in 2010, closely followed by the Ukranian league. Great achievement.

Wheres the money being pumped? Into one club. Its so good its attracted Christopher Samba, Nico Kranjkar and Samuel Eto'o. The rest of Europe must be quivering. I can't see Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, Rooney, Suarez, Van Persie, Silva et al making the trip behind the Iron Curtain anytime soon.

Comparing Robbie Keane to Didier Drogba is laughable tbh. Drogba is a far superior player to our captain.

Keane was asked to play the lone striker last night as Doyle spent most of his time closer to the midfield than the six yard box. Jon Walters is the man to play that position or even Kevin Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

I found tonight's game very confusing with the Ukraine wearing yellow.

Every time they went forward, I couldn't understand why Schevchenko seemed to be playing for Sweden.

And the stadium was full of Swedes. Not a Ukranian in sight.

:confused:
    are you for real?

never heard of ukraine national colours?

• Advertisement

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    are you for real?

never heard of ukraine national colours?

Ukraine aren't the most successful footballing nation around. I think I saw play once against Italy in the World Cup in Germany.

On the other hand, I've watched Sweden play in nearly every major tournament over the past 25 years. They always wear yellow.

So it's natural for me to presume that the team wearing yellow in a Sweden match, are Sweden. Admittedly, I wan't paying all that much attention to the game, but when I did, I found it hard to mentally adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

irish-stew wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't want to wear a jersey with 3 plastered across the front either.

No such problems displaying Nike (not that kids would actually care...in fact, they'd probably want to wear exactly what their heroes wear, sponsors included). And if they were so worried about ugly sponsors, plain t-shirts would've done the trick.

Fionnsda answered my question, anyway - they're former teacher being a Scotsman, them singing at Celtic Park (where they probably got the jersies) and the Glasgow Celtic were probably the only half green "uniform" they had.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The Russian league

Wheres the money being pumped? Into one club. .

Yep. And that club is called Chelski. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    No such problems displaying Nike (not that kids would actually care...in fact, they'd probably want to wear exactly what their heroes wear, sponsors included). And if they were so worried about ugly sponsors, plain t-shirts would've done the trick.

Fionnsda answered my question, anyway - they're former teacher being a Scotsman, them singing at Celtic Park (where they probably got the jersies) and the Glasgow Celtic were probably the only half green "uniform" they had.

It was meant as sarcasim, in the same way that a lot of fans here would want to wear the exact same strip that the irish team them selves wear, one without 3 plastered across it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Does anyone saying McGeady isn't good enough for the premiership follow football outside of the premiership?

He might not be the best player in the world but comparing him to league one players is absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Doyle barely played this season for a team that got relegated. I still think he is a half decent player but he's not world class.

Ward played for the same team and is nowhere near good enough.

Keane played six games for Villa and is way too old to be playing the lone strikers rloe.

McGeady is absolute sh1te. He's not even League 1 quality, let alone Premiership quality. Playing in the Russian premier league means nothing tbh. Its a small step up from the SPL.

Here's the quote I was looking for, not sure how I missed it.

People have already covered how you're wrong about Doyle so I'll leave that.

Keane is still a fantastic player. No doubt. Not quite what he was in his prime but to say he's not good enough is way over the top.

McGeady performed well on more than one occasion against top european opposition when he was with Celtic, which makes your point about SPL>Russian being a 'small step' fairly redundant. He's shown he can play against the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

McGeady is a very good player, he just has his good days and bad days.

I expect him to be fired up and some good play down the wings against Spain where they are vulnerable.

I think we are set up under Trap perfectly to play Spain.

We will need a lot of luck but i reckon we can nick a 1-0 or 0-0, 1-1 draw.

But we need our wingers to give us some breathing space and provide a decent attack aswell.

I think Walters will be needed to provide some physicality and presence up front to hold the ball and allow our defence push out.

BELIEVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Xavi and Iniesta........... :eek: ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

To not get annihilated by Spain we need to not give away the ball constantly, which Ireland do a lot. Spain are going to punish us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Xavi and Iniesta........... :eek: ouch!
    But we've got long cox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

To not get annihilated by Spain we need to not give away the ball constantly, which Ireland do a lot. Spain are going to punish us.

We also need to condense the middle of the field in our own half, I'd have no problem leaving a bit more space out wide because Spain aren't the biggest and with no Llorente or Torres in the team there's not much to aim at with crosses into the box. I think Dunne and St Ledger would be happy enough heading balls away all night. It's when you allow Spain to find positions in between our 2 banks of four, that's when we are gonna get truly punished. Silva, Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas are all fantastic at picking out little threaded through balls so we need to limit the space in the central area. I think Chelsea did this brilliantly in the second half of the game at the Nou Camp, they were happy for Barca to get the ball out wide knowing that there was a limited threat from crosses and the confined space in the middle are of the field was so limited that Xavi was constantly having to go from one side of the pitch to the other as there was no space to knock passes into Messi!

Having said all that we are gonna need a huge amount of luck if we are to get anything out of the game, can't see it happening myself but you just never know! Highly unlikely we get a point but I suppose we have to hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I think Walters will be needed to provide some physicality and presence up front to hold the ball and allow our defence push out.

BELIEVE

This!

Even when he came on against Croatia you could see he was causing them some problems, himself and Long seem to work well together but it's a shame they probably won't get much time together!

He is an absolute beast of a lad, and with Puyol gone I see him being able to bully the Spanish defence a small bit if we can get half decent ball to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Got back from Poznan last night. shame about the result but I have never ever in my life experienced the noise and atmosphere in the stadium, outside it and in the old town square before it. Lump in the throat stuff for the anthem and the fields of athenry at the end. everyone on top form having the time of their lives.

We can be very proud. greatest fans in the world-the polish and croats were loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Shur why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

John Doe1 wrote: »

Ha ha....he's up sh!t creek when his misses sees that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So she IS mom enough... don't know what would possess you tbh. Still he could have been filmed beating the lard out of match steward instead so in grand scheme not too bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shur why not?

Many needed a reassuring bosom after that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

When do Ireland play again?

Thursday against Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They play the Harlem Globetrotters on Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Thursday against Spain

I don't know if I can watch this one, you think we can manage to score?

hondasam wrote: »
    I don't know if I can watch this one, you think we can manage to score?

In my head I know that this is just a nice day out for us, but my heart is telling me that we always beat the harder teams :D

I wonder will Torres start tonight? He is hungry for goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

In my head I know that this is just a nice day out for us, but my heart is telling me that we always beat the harder teams :D

I wonder will Torres start tonight? He is hungry for goals.

I hope it's not too bad for us.

I think Torres will start and he will definitely score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I mentioned in a previous pre match post how if Ireland found themselfs a goal or two down in the match hopefully Trapp had a plan B and after Ireland equalised ,you thought there might be one but they reverted to the hit-hope- and - get lucky mentality .

Off all the quotes I've seen in the media to describe Ireland performance on sunday this one sums it better than any '' some Irish players were terrified at having to physically touch a football '' ...and that was the obious and scary bit to see

Hopefully the players have got their confidence back for thursdays game because anythings better than that performance last sunday .

Driving home in car, pull into cul de sac, sports report at 5.05pm, 'Czech Rep 1 nil up'

Get into the house, turn on telly, 9 minutes gone, 2 nill up.

:eek:

My accum is back on track.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

I think Ireland need to just kick more goals ?

Better being filmed on someone elses tits, rather than off his own tits in a Poznan town square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

irish-stew wrote: »
    Better being filmed on someone elses tits, rather than off his own tits in a Poznan town square.

And they were croatian fans. It was a very sporting gesture. More of it, I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Latchy wrote: »
    Off all the quotes I've seen in the media to describe Ireland performance on sunday this one sums it better than any '' some Irish players were terrified at having to physically touch a football '' ...and that was the obious and scary bit to see

Not a good mindset playing Spain! They'll probably have about 90% possession so then again.............

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You have to watch those Croation women ...they'll suck you in if you let them :p

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    I think Ireland need to just kick more goals ?
    I think Ireland need to lick ...kick ass tbh .

K-9 wrote: »
    Not a good mindset playing Spain! They'll probably have about 90% possession so then again.............
    Exactly

Watching England defend against France yesterday wasn't pretty at times but they kept their shape and Ireland might have to adopt similar .

Mon now greece. Get stuck in and make the second half exciting.

Taxi for cech!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cech shat the pants there,its the scrum caps fault

• Advertisement

It's all kicking of in Warsaw. Water cannon and tear gas used against brawling fans already.. I hope they have the scrotum biting attack dogs ready for when the match is over.

It's all kicking of in Warsaw. Water cannon and tear gas used against brawling fans already.. I hope they have the scrotum biting attack dogs ready for when the match is over.

There was sirens and sounds of bangs in the background of the ITV half time commentary. Maybe related? Its a shame all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Cech, you made Bruce Grob proud with that "mistake"...

SeaFields wrote: »
    There was sirens and sounds of bangs in the background of the ITV half time commentary. Maybe related? Its a shame all the same.

Yeah, hopefully the police will be on top of things though. They've been billing it as the 'biggest security operation' in the city's history.

On the flip side, I'm sure the match itself will be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Theres gonna be war after the match tonight. Wouldn't like to be there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement