Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That'd send chills down your spine. Amazing support. Feck the naysayers that say it's just bandwagon jumping.. that's real support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Best fans in the ****ing world.

I disagree - the people singing haven't a clue.

What is there to sign about. The players should know we are pissed and a performance like this is not acceptable. The way the majority of those played tonight, they don't deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Jesus I would feel like crap playing that badly to this crowd. Haha still going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Low lie the fields. Beaten on the pitch but never losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

we are the first team to go out

hondasam wrote: »
    Me too, I am a little emotional I must say.

I feel so sorry for them.

We've got a lot to be proud of. 4million population and probably more supporters at that competition that anyone else. Fcuking sick I'm not there. Beer and football (losing) makes doodles sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We have one thing left to play for now, Knock that dumbo Balotelli out on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

You'll never beat the Irish they said
    Few naggins, be grand, they said.

We've got a lot to be proud of. 4million population and probably more supporters at that competition that anyone else. Fcuking sick I'm not there. Beer and football (losing) makes doodles sad :(

lets have a wee cuddle, don't let the boys see us crying :p

• Advertisement

Devastated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I'm sorry, but the state of Paul McShane! He's such a mess of a man

I laugh at the morons taking a second mortgage out on their homes to travel to these places and then expect society to give handouts when they get back.

To the gallows I say.

well done lads, ye tried and that's what matters. We enjoyed it while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The Dutch were knocked out yesterday.

At least that's something, I suppose.

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    I laugh at the morons taking a second mortgage out on their homes to travel to these places and then expect society to give handouts when they get back.

To the gallows I say.

If you actually know anyone physically able to take a second mortgage out fair play. Otherwise I call bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

If you actually l know anyone physically able to take a second mortgage out fair play. Otherwise I call bullsh*t.

I don't think we're supposed to respond to trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The singing in the last few minutes there has to be the amongst the most touching things I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What is there to sign about. The players should know we are pissed and a performance like this is not acceptable. The way the majority of those played tonight, they don't deserve it.

To the gallows I say.

Stop right there.

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IrishAm wrote: »

Holland can still qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is this the first time we have gone out in the first round of a major championship?

Stutgard 88
    Italia 90
    USA 94
    S Korea/Japan 02

• Advertisement

Nope, we're the first out.

Dutch can still qualify.

Ah shutup

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Fair play to the lads, they did their best, we're only a small nation of 4 million people, how could we stand a chance against the likes of Spain and Germany!

And fair play to the fans for singing loud and proud and supporting their team regardless of the result. I hate people who only support winning teams, totally not the point of sport!

irish-stew wrote: »
    Is this the first time we have gone out in the first round of a major championship?

Stutgard 88
    Italia 90
    USA 94
    S Korea/Japan 02

Germany in 88 would've been the first time.

I think Holland still have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

To the gallows I say.

Isn't that one of them Swingers place's

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

My team v Italy

Westwood

Kelly Dunne O'Shea Duff

McLean Andrews Hunt

Cox Keane Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I hate slating players in general. I have no doubt that the lads who pulled on the jersey tonight were committed fully to the cause - even if it didn't appear so. What they are not, is talented. Uncomfortable, slow and clumsy in possession and unfortunately no amount of heart can change this.

The difference in qualifying and championship performance I think can be explained. When Ireland play countries in qualifying it's middle of domestic seasons. Players (from other nations) aren't as focused given club commitments, Ireland however, with players struggling at club level / free agents can concentrate more on these games. When it comes to tournaments however, all teams have had a few weeks preparations and it's a level playing field.

Hard luck.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Stop right there.

What? Can I not give my opinion? I haven't offended anyone on a personal level....

What ever is the problem? You might not like my opinion but it's a part of growing up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ah well thats it. They did there best the supporters there where great,Maybe we can take lessons from this and move on forward to the WC.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't we be better off with a younger and more attacking minded manager? I have great respect for Trap but his style just doesn't suit the mentality or physicality of our players. He's too conservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Dunne and Andrews would have been of more benefit to the team if they had of sat in the corner out of the way.

I know Ireland were never going to match Spain but to just give it away from really lazy stupid play bugs me. Same old story again, standing there looking at the ball, not arsed clearing it, couldnt hold onto it to save their lives, resorting to long balls again.

I dont care what anyone says Trappatoni hasnt improved this team one iota. Perhaps the players aint good enough and this is as far as we could ever get. But its a shame they couldnt give a good account of themselves seeing as though they went through all the bother of getting into the damn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Well done the fans, despite the result they were brilliant.

Wouldn't we be better off with a younger and more attacking minded manager? I have great respect for Trap but his style just doesn't suit the mentality or physicality of our players. He's too conservative.

We haven't got the talent for that style of football.

I admit Trap's tactics have a lot to do with things, but you have to understand he is only working with what he is given. I'm not defending him on any level at all. But let's look at the players - they're rubbish. We're diving into the Championship for players ffs....

We need a complete make-over of the FAI, the Irish leagues, investment etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

They all play much better with there regular teams,Something has to change in the way our national team is picked and motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Gettin beat 4-0 and you could hear us singing in Germany, the best support in the world and only for them I'd be depressed off me head. Shivers down the spine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

We simply don't have the players. Doesn't matter who the manager is.

I don't blame the lads for tonight. They did their best, but Spain are just so superior to Ireland. It's hard for a small country like ours to compete. But we certainly do try and that is commendable.

We haven't got the talent for that style of football.

I admit Trap's tactics have a lot to do with things, but you have to understand he is only working with what he is given. I'm not defending him on any level at all. But let's look at the players - they're rubbish. We're diving into the Championship for players ffs....

We need a complete make-over of the FAI, the Irish leagues, investment etc.

Yeah, he has to work with what he is given. But what he is given could be put to better use. If a baker knows how to make good bread with minimal ingredients he'll do it to the best of his ability. Trap is like a fella in his kitchen with a bag of flour and a glass of water.

It's better to find someone that can make use of the ingredients they have before thinking about buying a new kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

3rdDegree wrote: »

I don't blame the lads for tonight. They did their best, but Spain are just so superior to Ireland. It's hard for a small country like ours to compete. But we certainly do try and that is commendable.

With this kind of attitude we'd get nowhere.

Why can't we be as technically good as Spain? We're all human.

The real problem lies in grass roots football. It's too late for this generation of Irish players, but if things change at junior level, in 10 - 15 years, we'd have a team and fans that wouldn't accept a 4-0 defeat so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What? Can I not give my opinion? I haven't offended anyone on a personal level....

What ever is the problem? You might not like my opinion but it's a part of growing up...

You're not giving an opinion, you're trolling.

If you want to slate the players then go right ahead, but don't give out about the supporters who travel all over the world to support the team and have proved to be the best supporters in the world bar none.

To call them morons is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

We were absolutely terrible, worst Irish display I have seen. Fair enough we don't have the players but Ireland were always renowned for spirit and giving it a go, the players just seemed beaten from the first minute. I also think Trap did'nt play/left out some very good talented young players that would have made tonights game some bit exciting. I also don't like this defeatist attitude we have like oh its ok we lost we only have a population of 4 million, just look at croatia!fantastic players that give it a lash! Also I don't see the point of singing for a bunch of players that didnt' give anywhere near 10 percent.

Yeah, he has to work with what he is given. But what he is given could be put to better use. If a baker knows how to make good bread with minimal ingredients he'll do it to the best of his ability. Trap is like a fella in his kitchen with a bag of flour and a glass of water.

It's better to find someone that can make use of the ingredients they have before thinking about buying a new kitchen.

We need to go back to the drawing board and take a line out of Charltons book ie. - Look throughout the world for anyone with even a hint of an Irish link.
    There has to be great talent here with all the emigration there was into this country - get some of the Brazilians or Africans down to Malahide and to hell with these players way past their sell-by-date. Don't call them up again. Because a performance or talent level like that just will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

sorry I meant 100 percent:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Bad Panda wrote: »

With this kind of attitude we'd get nowhere.

Why can't we be as technically good as Spain? We're all human.

The real problem lies in grass roots football. It's too late for this generation of Irish players, but if things change at junior level, in 10 - 15 years, we'd have a team and fans that wouldn't accept a 4-0 defeat so easily.

I don't disagree with you. But for right now and the near future, we simply don't have the talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nice to hear the singing. Most nations fans would have booed their team off the pitch after such an embarrassing drubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well for starters the FAI is still in need of serious reform as it has been for 50 years. The guys running the show care about nothing but creaming their big salaries while Irish football suffers a very poor domestic following and clubs go into receivership.

Poor International results only compounds this problem because Irish people stop taking domestic players seriously.

Get the local support for the domestic leagues and you'll see the quality of players shoot through the roof.

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't disagree with you. But for right now and the near future, we simply don't have the talent.
    He's partly right though. Part of the problem is that Irish players are taught to play football the same way as young English players, as if the football is a hot potato that you aren't allowed to dwell on.

Spain may do slick passing, but they are not afraid to hold the ball and play with it themselves. Their "fun" style is encouraged from a young age. Slick passing is a by-product of this, where everyone is fluid and everyone wants the ball and is able to negotiate themselves out of even the tightest situation.

None of this "get it out wide and cross it in" or "hoof it up to the tallest guy to knock down" nonsense.

I imagine the youth teams at the likes of Barcelona are a completely different kettle of fish to the likes of the youth teams in England (where the best Irish players end up learning the game anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A fully fit Shay Given would have stopped some of those shots but the first goal ,when you saw 3 irish players look at a loose ball (when they they should have hoofed it away) was a sign of things to come and it was for the whole game , after 12 minutes the Irish team looked like they had already played 80 .

I was nice to see Duff run with the ball again and McGeady got a few shots in but overall the team never showed up tonight .

The ease at which the Irish gave the ball back to the Spanish was shocking and the Spanish strung something like 859 passes together in the game (the official record for a tournament ) tells it's own story

Result! :D

Irish fans.. top scorers of Euro 2012

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement