Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The D4 Muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A country that has no football culture or infrastructure and ignores its own league deserves nothing.

As for the fans being the best in the world dont make me laugh. Its very easy to go over to a major championship on the piss but why not support your own league?

A reality check tonight. Football in Ireland needs a complete makeover from top to bottom.

Trap did well to get us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    A country that has no football culture or infrastructure and ignores its own league deserves nothing.

As for the fans being the best in the world dont make me laugh. Its very easy to go over to a major championship on the piss but why not support your own league?

A reality check tonight. Football in Ireland needs a complete makeover from top to bottom.

Dude I completely agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well said, some very valid points there.

I'm sick to the stomach :(
    Can't believe we're going into Monday's match with nothing to play for :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm sick to the stomach :(
    Can't believe we're going into Monday's match with nothing to play for :(

we will probably play well on Monday and possibly win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

:mad: when it went 2-0 just after half time I took down my Euro '12 wall chart and tore it up into little pieces. I knew it was going to be 4, 5 or 6.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Did anyone really think for one second that the Irish team as it stands would beat the WORLD Champions.The loss has nothing to do with Trapparoni as he can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.The team was an embarrassment to watch. It was like a secondary school soccer team taking on Premier League team.
    Boot out Delaney. Get in new blood with vision who can push for more funding for local clubs.Tap the Lotto for more money to equip the clubs and start again.There are very talented youngsters out there.Don't doubt that for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yes it does need a complete make-over. but the last thing that needs a make-over is the fan or supporter.
    The bull**** arrogance that allows you to sneer at a supporter is the problem with 'football in Ireland'
    If the LOI had the brains to call in somebody from the GAA or the IRFU and studied their structure they might have a chance at building a decent infrastructure themselves. I live in a town of 4 or 5 thousand people and the soccer club is still playing on an unlevel cow pasture and togging out in a lorry trailer. What kid wants to get involved in that tacky set up?
    But of course they won't actually do anything to change things themselves, they just wait in the long grass to whinge at others when they get the chance. Usually when people praise the supporters they vainly crave.
    Time for them to get off their arses and bring the game into the modern era.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hondasam wrote: »
    we will probably play well on Monday and possibly win.
    Italy need to win.

This will give them 5 points.

But if Spain and Croatia also draw then they too will be on 5 pints. And Croatia have already drawn with Italy and are on +2 goal difference.

So it looks like Italy will need to win by at least three goals to be sure of booking their place.

Ranking rules
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Group_stage

• Advertisement

Embarrassment me arse. Yes, world champions, and we played as well as we could have expected against such a fantastic side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Really good losers tbf, but like they say, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Might have performed better if they were sh1te losers who would rather die than lose, a bit more like Roy and less like Robbie.. If the fans booed them off as loud as they sang them off there might be a real call for change. BIL is a very well respected scout for a premiership team here in Ireland and has nothing but criticism for the FAI and Delaney. Time for a change but it won't come when Delaney can say "ah sure we did our best and the fans left happy.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

me bolly wrote: »
    There are very talented youngsters out there.Don't doubt that for a minute.

That there is, but its pure raw talent. We do not have the training facilities in this country to further develop that talent and the top schoolboy teams main aim is to get their talented players with a club in the UK, not to turn them into top players.

The training facilities and standard of coaching in this country are still in the stone age compared to on the continent. I played with some of Dublins top schoolboy teams up until the early 00s and we were told that when we tip off, to launch the ball towards to oppositions corner flag and put pressure on them, instead of trying to keep possession. Pure hoof ball stuff.

Where as in Spain, Germany, Czech Rep, Holland etc. they focus on control, how to keep possession of the ball and mastering the basic skills.

As we saw tonight, raw skill and heart can only get you so far.

Heres a clip of the Irish fans from German TV- Quality stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yeah, he has to work with what he is given. But what he is given could be put to better use. If a baker knows how to make good bread with minimal ingredients he'll do it to the best of his ability. Trap is like a fella in his kitchen with a bag of flour and a glass of water.

It's better to find someone that can make use of the ingredients they have before thinking about buying a new kitchen.

Trappatoni is one of the most respected managers in the world... and for good reason. His list of honours is incredible... including being the only manager in the world who has won every single international UEFA club competition and he's one of the few list of managers who has won league titles in four different countries.

The fact that he is Trapattoni is a manager of impeccable calibre is indisputable.

The fact that we were beaten in two games by two better teams - one of them the best international team in the world - is hardly a surprise. In club terms, it was Sunderland vs Barcelona.

Not even Trap could change that fact. You can talk about kitchens and bakers all night long, but when it comes down to it, you can't polish a turd.

Not even Trap could change that fact. You can talk about kitchens and bakers all night long, but when it comes down to it, you can't polish a turd.

Even with Ireland's top eleven players of all time and in their prime at his disposal, the Spaniards would still have dominated. They were that good.

Some people need a dose of reality.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Even with Ireland's top eleven players of all time and in their prime at his disposal, the Spaniards would still have dominated. They were that good.

So you're saying that any decent team would find it hard to beat Spain... possibly one of the best teams to ever play international football?

Well, fuck me. Thanks for clearing that up. That was a well needed dose of reality.

Well, fuck me. Thanks for clearing that up. That was a well needed dose of reality.

That wasn't aimed at you. Just a general remark in relation to people freaking out over the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Trappatoni is one of the most respected managers in the world... and for good reason. His list of honours is incredible... including being the only manager in the world who has won every single international UEFA club competition and he's one of the few list of managers who has won league titles in four different countries.

The fact that he is Trapattoni is a manager of impeccable calibre is indisputable.

The fact that we were beaten in two games by two better teams - one of them the best international team in the world - is hardly a surprise. In club terms, it was Sunderland vs Barcelona.

As Chelsea and Inter showed, the only way you can beat this style is blanket defence, riding your luck, hoping they have an off day and taking the couple of chances you get. We don't have the talent like those, even with arguments about Trap. Barcelona made fools of Man United last year FFS!

I've seen plenty of teams who are good at passing, maybe not as good at Spain, but damn good at it, but they didn't have the same attitude off the ball, look at the second Torres goal as a perfect example. They lost the ball, immediately go on he offensive, get it back and on top of that Torres anticipates it.

This is the best international team I've seen since I started watching football in 1984 and they'll prove it by winning 3 international tournaments in a row, the first team to do it. Torres is back on form and that was my only doubt about them.

THey've married total Dutch football with put em under pressure!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yes they were that good ,of that there is no disputing but when you play against a team as bad as Ireland were tonight ...your only gonna be made look that much better .

• Advertisement

That wasn't aimed at you. Just a general remark in relation to people freaking out over the result.

I don't know if people are freaking out about the result of tonight's game (maybe I'm wrong?). I think people are just surprised that we may well leave with zero points.

Apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lets not get carried away with the grass roots rebuilding here, I don't want to see our young sporting talent being diverted away from the GAA and squandered by the FAI.

Bambi wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away with the grass roots rebuilding here, I don't want to see our young sporting talent being diverted away from the GAA and squandered by the FAI.

Yeah. The FAI really fucked up Kevin Moran's career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so hard to find the apre match on the rte youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

I honestly don't know what some people expect. Do you really think the LOI can become something like the premiership?? Look at the size of our country, and we are (these days) quite consistently making it to these tournaments in a manor that Scotland and Wales aren't.

And to people who are giving out to the fans, I'm glad you're in the minority. If I ever seen our fans boo the team off the pitch I would be mortified. It's not what we should aspire to.

IMO, one of the things that actually stops us from reaching our full potential as far as soccer goes is that soccer is competing with one of the nations most nurtured sports (for good reason) GAA football for the same pool of potential players. But this is something you can't change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't know if people are freaking out about the result of tonight's game (maybe I'm wrong?). I think people are just surprised that we may well leave with zero points.

The team will do everything to get a result against Italy, whatever about their talent, they are all good, honest pros. Put it this way, if we go a goal down to Italy, the lads will still play as a team. If Holland go a goal down to Portugal they'll whinge and moan at each other, even with a chance of getting through, and look at the talent they have!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You seem to have done just that =p

I stand by my bakery/baker/some-dope-in-an-apron-with-a-few-eggs analogy.

Trap is a legend and deserves respect, but his fingers just don't knead our dough in the right way.

You seem to have done just that =p

I stand by my bakery/baker/some-dope-in-an-apron-with-a-few-eggs analogy.

Trap is a legend and deserves respect, but his fingers just don't knead our dough in the right way.

Ah shurrup & make me a croissant. :D

Yeah. The FAI really fucked up Kevin Moran's career.

He was a middling GAA player, they were welcome to him. But just imagine if the likes of Pat Spillanes' talents had been squandered on the soccer :( . Or Nicky English had been made to head a soccer ball.

We can't risk this this happening, our kids deserve better :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No worrys there ,I can't see the young hordes from Kerry all deserting GAA for Soccer .

K-9 wrote: »
    The team will do everything to get a result against Italy, whatever about their talent, they are all good, honest pros. Put it this way, if we go a goal down to Italy, the lads will still play as a team. If Holland go a goal down to Portugal they'll whinge and moan at each other, even with a chance of getting through, and look at the talent they have!

I reckon if they leak an early goal, they'll collapse again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

god i hate the Fields of Athenry its a dreary song about dreary times..can we not adopt another song something more upbeat?

agga doo, nelly the elephant, living next door to alice ..anything other than that prozac inducing drivel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Wow...the last 7 minutes of the game were amazing....I'have never seen supporters of the loosing team being louder than the winning team. Simply amazing...

Should they not be working together, instead of fighting one another until the player decides on which particular sport to focus on?

EDudder wrote: »

IMO, one of the things that actually stops us from reaching our full potential as far as soccer goes is that soccer is competing with one of the nations most nurtured sports (for good reason) GAA football for the same pool of potential players. But this is something you can't change.

A start would be accepting that the GAA do it better and try to work in tandem with them, especially at juvinile level, instead of competing for the same pool.
    This year we have the insanity of GAA and Soccer looking for considerable bucks for summer camps within a week of each other. The Soccer one is marketed on the back of something the LOI isn't, it uses all the glamour of the premiership to attract star struck kids. It can't live up to that, at least the Cuil Camps market something achievable, eg: the inter county scene.
    Domestic soccer needs to face up to what it actually provides and change that.

He was a middling GAA player, they were welcome to him. But just imagine if the likes of Pat Spillanes' talents had been squandered on the soccer :( . Or Nicky English had been made to head a soccer ball.

We can't risk this this happening, our kids deserve better :(

You can't teach GAA players to play soccer. It's too complex. They usually end up eating the ball or riding the corner flags.

Latchy wrote: »
    No worrys there ,I can't see the young hordes from Kerry all deserting GAA for Soccer .

We must remain vigilant, a sporting body is at its most dangerous when it's been wounded and cornered.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

god i now wish ireland had a large army and launch pre-emtive strikes on croatia and spain (italy we'll see),

the fcuking cheeck of them beating us like that,bastards!!!!

we need VENGANCE.

god i now wish ireland had a large army and launch pre-emtive strikes on croatia and spain

If McGeady was at the launch controls, he'd probably take out Australia by mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Greetings from Poznan. Great city. Anytone heading over here on Monday be warned: the only beer you can buy in the stadium is alcohol-free! Put a bit of a bummer on the afternoon...

If you don't get a ticket, head for the fanzone. Reasonable priced, b ut you have to buy a weird debit card thingy instead of using cash...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

If McGeady was at the launch controls, he'd probably take out Australia by mistake.

McGeady is meant to be doing quite well at Spartak. But when he puts on the green jersey he turns into a headless chicken and looks clueless most of the time.

The lad has talent, just has yet to show it whilst playing with Ireland for some reason. Its very frustrating to watch. Nine times out of ten his cross won't clear the first defender.

He couldn't kick ****e off a rope that fella,the pain of tonight has turned to blind rage now,ireland needs revenge either through military action or just send agents over to piss in their water supply :),

anything will do at this stage.

He couldn't kick ****e off a rope that fella,the pain of tonight has turned to blind rage now,ireland needs revenge either through military action or just send agents over to piss in their water supply :),

anything will do at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Had we played Italy first then we might have got a point, as they can be slow starters. Had the team we played in the third match already qualified and loosing against us might give them a better draw in the next round then we might have a chance. But we had to beat the team ranked 7th in the UEFA ratings AND draw with the 1st or 4th, AND hope the other results worked out. Italy are in this position now.

A draw against us is no use for Italy unless Spain flatten Croatia at least 3-0, and that isn't that likely.

Worst nightmare for Italy is if they are 1-0 or 2-1 up against us and during injury time Spain kinda let Croatia get a last minute draw so they won't have to face Italy later on. Given the current Italian football scandals the last thing those players would want to do is return home without even making it out of the group stages.

sorry for double post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^ edit and delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

The players that took the field tonight deserve no criticism: they gave everything they had.
    The same can't be said for Trapattoni as, despite the fact he came nowhere near managing to field/develop the best team he could've in the last few years, he left his team high and dry tonight: at the very least he could've made some changes and brought players off the bench at certain times, many whom are agruably better than those who started, for players who were clearly physically spent.
    There's no denying Trapattoni's record or his greatness as a manager in the past: but that does not render him immune from criticism or mean that he should continue in this job.
    But, oh yeah, i think John Delaney has already signed him up for the next few years.
    Right now, or even after a period of cool reflection, i don't think that prospect will fill many hearts with joy.

Given signalling his retirement on BBC there now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Given signalling his retirement on BBC there now?

Wow that won't good, I'm hoping he at least stays around for the next qualifying campaign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement