Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Bambi wrote: »
    We must remain vigilant, a sporting body is at its most dangerous when it's been wounded and cornered.
    Indeed .

I was thinking that the Irish football team (before the Roy Keane /Stephen Ireland era ) was dominated in the main by players from Dublin and the ( 2nd /3rd generation Anglos Saxons ...my granny was born in Athlone )

Like I can't recall a player from Kerry ever playing soccer for Ireland ( yes, I know in the main it's a foreign sport to people from that region ) which tells you how diverse our small country is in terms of sport of course but I've often imagined that talent been harnessed for the greater good of 'Ireland ' as a whole ,across all the sporting divide to include soccer to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Wow that won't good, I'm hoping he at least stays around for the next qualifying campaign.

Reporter asked him directly, 'Are you considering quitting'
    Answer: Well it's too early to make a decision, but maybe it's time to let younger players have a chance.

Or words to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

Latchy wrote: »
    Indeed .

I was thinking that the Irish football team (before the Roy Keane /Stephen Ireland era ) was dominated in the main by players from Dublin and the ( 2nd /3rd generation Anglos Saxons ...my granny was born in Athlone )

Like I can't recall a player from Kerry ever playing soccer for Ireland ( yes, I know in the main it's a foreign sport to people from that region ) which tells you how diverse our country is in sport of course but I've often imagined that talent been harnessed for the greater good of 'Ireland ' as a whole ,across all the sporting divide to include soccer to .

As I've said before, it's because GAA and soccer are competing for the same pool of potential players. The 5-10 year olds that have the skills and potential to be great soccer players, have the same skills and potential to become great GAA players.

This is why IMO, traditionally in more urban areas like Dublin and Derry City, where GAA isn't traditionally as popular the soccer talent is a lot more obvious. Whereas in Kerry, where GAA is huge they appear to be weak on the soccer side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

god i now wish ireland had a large army and launch pre-emtive strikes on croatia and spain (italy we'll see),

the fcuking cheeck of them beating us like that,bastards!!!!

we need VENGANCE.
    You know that Specsavers add where the old couple in the car end up on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier ?
    It's one of the Spanish aircraft carriers.

As for Croatia are you suggesting we invade the Balkans ?
    Here's a clue, if you think the lads up North going on about 1590 are crazy, the Roman empire split into East and West in AD 284 and they are still squabbling about the same border out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ascanbe wrote: »
    The players that took the field tonight deserve no criticism: they gave everything they had.

They did in their holes.. the only player who made any decent effort to get stuck in in the first half was Keith Andrews. The likes of McGeady spent the first 30 minutes ball watching. By the time the team got going, it was far too late.

The Croatia game wasn't much better - Robbie Keane didn't touch the ball once in the first 20 minutes. Not once.

Hardly what you'd call 'giving it everything you've got'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I've often imagined that talent been harnessed for the greater good of 'Ireland ' as a whole ,across all the sporting divide to include soccer to .

Up until very recently(early 00s in my case), once a player reached his mid teens, he was forced to choose between GAA and soccer.

It still goes on with some GAA clubs and its bollix of the highest order. A young lad should be encouraged to play the sports he enjoys, not forced to pick and choose.

The GAA and the FAI have will gain an awful lot more by working with each other, instead of the current scenario of trying to one up and score petty victories against one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Didnt realise we are the first team out of the tournament. Kinda sad :(

EDudder;
    As I've said before, it's because GAA and soccer are competing for the same pool of potential players. The 5-10 year olds that have the skills and potential to be great soccer players, have the same skills and potential to become great GAA players.

This is why IMO, traditionally in more urban areas like Dublin and Derry City, where GAA isn't traditionally as popular the soccer talent is a lot more obvious. Whereas in Kerry, where GAA is huge they appear to be weak on the soccer side.[/

Yes , that was my point to

When you see how fit some of those GAA players are (like their soccer counterparts in citys like Dublin ) ...it can compensate for any technical shortcomings they may have in the soccer game but would allow them to compete and go the whole 9 yards against the worlds best . Kevin Moran as mentioned in previous post was somebody who adapted and adjusted to soccer from GAA very well and had what was required to play at top level .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

hondasam wrote: »
    I think Holland still have a chance.
    A slim one. They'll have to play a whole lot better, I'm not sure they're good enough. We have players with great individual skills but no team spirit and no heart.
    Btw, Fields of Athenry was the best I've experienced so far in this tournament. Moving stuff even to a 'forner'.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Didnt realise we are the first team out of the tournament. Kinda sad :(

Aye, but we still can have a huge impact on the outcome of the group. I wonder how motivated Trap is to take his home country out.
    I am disappointed with how we preformed so far, I think players played well below their capabilities overall. Be good to see them get something out of the tournament.....we need something going into the WC qualifiers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

When you see how fit some of those GAA players are (like their soccer counterparts in citys like Dublin ).

Dublin are current All Ireland SF champions. One of the main reasons for that, is the superior fitness of the Dublin team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

They did in their holes.. the only player who made any decent effort to get stuck in in the first half was Keith Andrews. The likes of McGeady spent the first 30 minutes ball watching. By the time the team got going, it was far too late.

The Croatia game wasn't much better - Robbie Keane didn't touch the ball once in the first 20 minutes. Not once.

Hardly what you'd call 'giving it everything you've got'.

McGeady ball watches as a rule: that's just what he does and is a clear flaw in his game.
    Even when he gets on the ball he ball-watches; he doesn't play with his head up, unlike the great players on the Spanish team.
    That's just how he is at this stage of career; maybe he'll learn/improve, maybe he won't.
    That was especially evident and costly, tonight when he was tasked with helping to cover for a left-back like Stephen Ward, who isn't a natural left-back anyway, and, frankly, had no idea what he was doing.
    Ireland were so clearly exposed down that flank from the start that it was comical.
    But it's the job of the manager to not give players jobs that they're incapable of doing.
    The players, in that situation, can't be faulted, because, as far as i could see, they gave full effort.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Dublin are current All Ireland SF champions. One of the main reasons for that, is the superior fitness of the Dublin team.
    As fit if not fitter than some of the English premiership players .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well done to the Irish fans in the stadium... the way they sung fields of athenry made the hairs on my neck stand on end

ascanbe wrote: »
    But it's the job of the manager to not give players jobs that they're incapable of doing.

The players, in that situation, can't be faulted, because, as far as i could see, they gave full effort.
    That's what has stuck out in the two games as much as anything ,how obious it was to see players play out of position and unsure or undecided as to how to deal with it ,which led to most of the goals and you had Duff playing in defence to because the back four were so out of sorts , from the first goal onwards and most of the game .

So while Trapp can only deal with what players he's got ,he also has to have installed some confidence in his team to carry out their roles and ' that ' more than anything was what's been so lacking in this Irish team in the tournament .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Where does the open top bus parade start from on Tuesday lads? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Wow...the last 7 minutes of the game were amazing....I'have never seen supporters of the loosing team being louder than the winning team. Simply amazing...

Feel sorry for you :-(
    I'm following games of Poland and Ireland. We Polish need your support now on Sat against Czech.
    I hope we get your singers:-)

The last 7 minutes were amazing, awesome, brilliant. How can loosing team sing so loud, that winners cannot be heard at all. Thats only Irish people with huge hearts who can do this.

You are first out, but looking at Polish media and ordinary Poles opinions your fans are the winner. I live here in Dublin 8 years already, so I know you a little bit, but people of Poland are shocked, that you are so easy going, friendly and nice people. Every day in news I could watch and hear Irish wearing Polish symbols, singing Polska - bialooo czeerwoni , All media are showing your green soldiers, you are on first pages of national and local newspapers, people are talking about your green clothes, songs you sing, your great support and the only few complains that were made were about few completely drunk boys in green pissing in public places, so looking at Irish crowd in Poland and compared to behaviour of some polish, russian, croatian fans its very minor thing, that is already forgotten.
    Support winners of euro 2012 =Ireland.

thanks,
    Marcin "Dubliner" from Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

My team v Italy

Westwood

Kelly Dunne O'Shea Duff

McLean Andrews Hunt

Cox Keane Long

So you propose playing with a winger at left back, one centre mid, 2 wingers and 3 strikers? I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oh please god no :(

Well I don't know about anybody else but I've got my sleeping bag and primus stove ready for the long haul .:cool:

fryup wrote: »
    oh please god no :(
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carvaggio

The idea that we have the greatest football fans is a bit much even though it may appear so in the large tournaments with the world watching. During qualifying games the support is rarely if ever like this, the fact is that these tournaments are treated as a big party (and why not) a lot of the fans are as interested in drinking and singing as the football, the idea that our fans are somehow superior to others is a bit false me.

Some of the individuals I know who have traveled to Poland I would very dubiously describe as fans of the Irish football team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    We haven't got the talent for that style of football.

I admit Trap's tactics have a lot to do with things, but you have to understand he is only working with what he is given. I'm not defending him on any level at all. But let's look at the players - they're rubbish. We're diving into the Championship for players ffs.....

It's not encouraged either. Winning football is all that is wanted at FAI level and Irish fan level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You can't teach GAA players to play soccer. It's too complex. They usually end up eating the ball or riding the corner flags.

Wouldn't mind putting Busquets on a Junior Hurling team, for once he'd have a legitimate reason to hold his leg.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    Feel sorry for you :-(
    I'm following games of Poland and Ireland. We Polish need your support now on Sat against Czech.
    I hope we get your singers:-)

The last 7 minutes were amazing, awesome, brilliant. How can loosing team sing so loud, that winners cannot be heard at all. Thats only Irish people with huge hearts who can do this.

You are first out, but looking at Polish media and ordinary Poles opinions your fans are the winner. I live here in Dublin 8 years already, so I know you a little bit, but people of Poland are shocked, that you are so easy going, friendly and nice people. Every day in news I could watch and hear Irish wearing Polish symbols, singing Polska - bialooo czeerwoni , All media are showing your green soldiers, you are on first pages of national and local newspapers, people are talking about your green clothes, songs you sing, your great support and the only few complains that were made were about few completely drunk boys in green pissing in public places, so looking at Irish crowd in Poland and compared to behaviour of some polish, russian, croatian fans its very minor thing, that is already forgotten.
    Support winners of euro 2012 =Ireland.

thanks,
    Marcin "Dubliner" from Poland
    Great post mate fantastic stuff.

Really hope Poland get through the group, have to say for all the talk about Poland in the media etc, I think Poland is a very similar country to Ireland and I wish them the best of luck in getting through. There has been alot of crap spoken about Poland as a host country so far, I for one think they have done a magnificent job.

On another note **** Roy Keane, and I also find it weird how the Euros are constantly better than the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

DB10 wrote: »
    Great post mate fantastic stuff.

Really hope Poland get through the group, have to say for all the talk about Poland in the media etc, I think Poland is a very similar country to Ireland and I wish them the best of luck in getting through. There has been alot of crap spoken about Poland as a host country so far, I for one think they have done a magnificent job.

On another note **** Roy Keane, and I also find it weird how the Euros are constantly better than the World Cup.

There are more crap teams in the WC. Only the top teams get through to the 16 of the Euro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Right so Italy now then I suppose.....

Also Paul Green, what the holy mother****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

can robby keen now please go **** off for himself and look for the tap-ins with galaxy, **** off and retire pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee take a few more with you

as an Irishman, I dont know who let me down more this useless team, or the useless tea, led by Enda the teacher from Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Many German fans loved how the Irish fans sang their way out of the competition. You couldn't hear the winners at all and the commentaries on fan websites (e.g. Borussia Dortmund site etc) speaks volumes about their admiration for the attitude of the Irish fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

We are by far the worst performing team at this championships.Our defensive displays have been appalling.Its a real kick in the teeth to be the first team knocked out at this early stage.I know we are limited but I honestly did not expect us to embarrass ourselves like this.We have saved our worst performances for the biggest stage.Trappatoni was a great manager in the past but the performance of his team in this competition reminds me of Stauntons reign.The fans singing is admirable but scant consolation for me after such an abject display on the pitch where it matters.I fancy Spain to win as they are probably the best team at retaining posession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what are the irish fans chanting in this news report 25sec in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

O'Connell Street at 11am. Only €15 for the full tour of the city.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Preusse wrote: »
    Many German fans loved how the Irish fans sang their way out of the competition. You couldn't hear the winners at all and the commentaries on fan websites (e.g. Borussia Dortmund site etc) speaks volumes about their admiration for the attitude of the Irish fans.
    +1. I've heard similar from non Irish football fans on my travels. I'm not into the footie or rugby for that matter, but regularly feel pride for the quality of our fans overseas whichever sport is involved. Hell when we won that Cricket match a while back the few Irish fans there were cheering up the whole place and you could see the locals getting into it with them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What we should have got in Russia last year we got in Poland last night, it has been coming! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

IrishAm wrote: »
    Up until very recently(early 00s in my case), once a player reached his mid teens, he was forced to choose between GAA and soccer.

It still goes on with some GAA clubs and its bollix of the highest order. A young lad should be encouraged to play the sports he enjoys, not forced to pick and choose.

The GAA and the FAI have will gain an awful lot more by working with each other, instead of the current scenario of trying to one up and score petty victories against one another.

Look at it this way, you have a stinky pants tramp who blew all his vast fortune on coke and hookers and now wants the more sensible guy to "share" with him for their "mutual benefit". F**k that.

Soccer was ENORMOUS in this country for most of the 90's due to the international team and the birth of the English premiership, there should have been a massive stream of soccer talent coming online in the last 5-10 years but there wasn't and you can blame the spivs and cornerboys in the FAI for that. Now the GAA and IRFU have completely stolen their thunder by investing in their respective sports. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

ok, question for AH !

I am English married to Irish living in Ireland . My daughters are Irish.

We have English flag and Irish flag flying outside our house.

When should I take the Irish flag down ?

I think we should keep it up until after the Italian game

Thoughts ????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

fullstop wrote: »
    So you propose playing with a winger at left back, one centre mid, 2 wingers and 3 strikers? I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

Must be a tried and tested tactic in Football Manager. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ahead of the game with England, the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet has mocked up tomorrow's Daily Mirror headline, with taglines such as "don't blame (the manager), we were all sh*tty" and "Black Friday as Sweden Destroys Us".

So the Mirror did their own version, with even more shocking allegations, such as "IKEA is nearly bankrupt" and "ABBA are actually Norwegian". Now, that's not very sporting ... :o

Report with pictures at The Media Blog.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

It was hard to take watching the game last night, but credit to the fans, they gave it everything, and hopefully the Italian game will be as equally lung bursting.

Keep reading posts about how it was embarrassing and sad, that the players were terrible, and how the fair weather fans went over just for the party. If we were embarrassed and sad, could you imagine how the players felt. To be so completely outclassed throughout the game, I'd say all they wanted was for the game to end and get to the solace of the dressing room.

For the fans to boo or jeer them would only have made it worse, and to hear them singing the way they did I'd say gave them some comfort at least. I've heard the Fields sings on many terraces, ,but that sent a chill down my spine last night. My wife is Slovak and even she said she had never heard anything like it.

I hope the fans enjoy the last few days, and go out and give the lads the vocal support they did last night when they take the field against Italy, because its support that they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

I'm as disappointed as many Irish fans are

....... but shame on those so called 'irish fans' who are slating Roy Keane, he served his country for many years and dragged us kicking and screaming into manys a tournament.

Short memories and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Every single one of the Spanish subs would start for Ireland.

I don't think there is a single Irish player who would get on the bench for Spain.

Herein lies the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

carvaggio wrote: »
    The idea that we have the greatest football fans is a bit much even though it may appear so in the large tournaments with the world watching. During qualifying games the support is rarely if ever like this, the fact is that these tournaments are treated as a big party (and why not) a lot of the fans are as interested in drinking and singing as the football, the idea that our fans are somehow superior to others is a bit false me.

Some of the individuals I know who have traveled to Poland I would very dubiously describe as fans of the Irish football team.
    Excellent post in my opinion.
    I saw Roy Keane make those comments on ITV last night and he said it in a matter of fact way, he wasn't in any way nasty or malicious towards the Irish fans, he just said it's about time the Irish raised their standards.
    What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

We need Pacino for the Italy game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

Any takers?:pac:

"18.06 Italy-Ireland Cat. 3 restricted view - 2 tickets - 110 euro (or 450 pln) / each

Secure, hand-to-hand transaction. Collection of tickets possible in Poznan or Wroclaw.

LOLzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Yes it does need a complete make-over. but the last thing that needs a make-over is the fan or supporter.
    The bull**** arrogance that allows you to sneer at a supporter is the problem with 'football in Ireland'
    If the LOI had the brains to call in somebody from the GAA or the IRFU and studied their structure they might have a chance at building a decent infrastructure themselves. I live in a town of 4 or 5 thousand people and the soccer club is still playing on an unlevel cow pasture and togging out in a lorry trailer. What kid wants to get involved in that tacky set up?
    But of course they won't actually do anything to change things themselves, they just wait in the long grass to whinge at others when they get the chance. Usually when people praise the supporters they vainly crave.
    Time for them to get off their arses and bring the game into the modern era.

The first thing that needs a makeover is the mindset of the Irish football fan. Going to the pub on a sundayto shout at one english club playing another is not supporting Irish football. We are the only nation that refuses to support our own league. Yet James McClean is now a hero to the masses.

Bar a couple of examples the LOI clubs are an embarrassment but they are run overall by the FAI. But sure isnt John Delaney great craic altogether cos he goes on the piss with fans?
    EDudder wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what some people expect. Do you really think the LOI can become something like the premiership?? Look at the size of our country, and we are (these days) quite consistently making it to these tournaments in a manor that Scotland and Wales aren't.

And to people who are giving out to the fans, I'm glad you're in the minority. If I ever seen our fans boo the team off the pitch I would be mortified. It's not what we should aspire to.

IMO, one of the things that actually stops us from reaching our full potential as far as soccer goes is that soccer is competing with one of the nations most nurtured sports (for good reason) GAA football for the same pool of potential players. But this is something you can't change.

Comparing with the premiership is pointless. Look at the size of other mid level countries whose clubs are participants in the Champions League e.g. Denmark with FC Copenhagen. They are there because of proper structures and fans that support the club.

Saying players are being lost to the GAA is a smokescreen.
    Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Wow...the last 7 minutes of the game were amazing....I'have never seen supporters of the loosing team being louder than the winning team. Simply amazing...

Common on the continent.
    carvaggio wrote: »

The same fans that packed Lansdowne to cheer an english club beat a LOI selection 2 years ago. Where's my inflatable hammer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Preusse wrote: »

+1, got a lot of messages from Germany last night/the morning about the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

fryup wrote: »
    what are the irish fans chanting in this news report 25sec in??

Uachtarán Uachtarán Uachtarán

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

awec wrote: »
    Every single one of the Spanish subs would start for Ireland.

I don't think there is a single Irish player who would get on the bench for Spain.

Herein lies the difference.

Lets say you lined up this whole groups starting eleven players for a schoolboy tournament, croat, spanish, italian, irish. You have four captains taking turns picking players. The first eleven players to be picked would probably all be spanish. The last 10 players to be picked would all be irish, shay given being the sole exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Davidth88 wrote: »
    ok, question for AH !

I am English married to Irish living in Ireland . My daughters are Irish.

We have English flag and Irish flag flying outside our house.

When should I take the Irish flag down ?

I think we should keep it up until after the Italian game

Thoughts ????

When you have to hang up the Xmas decorations ;)

:p

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    The first thing that needs a makeover is the mindset of the Irish football fan. Going to the pub on a sundayto shout at one english club playing another is not supporting Irish football. We are the only nation that refuses to support our own league. Yet James McClean is now a hero to the masses.

No it doesn't, the mindset of the 'supporter' is just fine. 'Give us the product and we will follow you to the death'.
    We don't 'refuse to support', cop yourself on. Look at the passion a GAA game can arouse, where is that in the LOI.
    The FAI and LOI have to take a long hard look at what they offer to aspiring talent.
    The 'supporters' are the least of their problems.
    The generation who watched as children from '88 on have been totally let down by the organisation. Poor investment, divisive policy and no vision, the age old problems of the organisation. I have never ever witnessed a marketing campaign run by the LOI in the way that Rugby and GAA will market their games. The FAI and LOI never entered the modern age when they should have, they are paying the price and will continue to pay it for the forseeable future.

And btw, John Delaney is the cheif executive of FAI, it's up to those inside the FAI and LOI to change that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement