Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Well done England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Fair play to them. well done England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sweden has a Hail Mary play here ... nope - wild header. England didn't clamp down on defence like they could have, so both sides were going for it up to the last seconds. But England really dominated the 2nd half in midfield in particular. 3-2.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done england. there I said it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Apres Match. LOL.

:D

On another note, the RTE panel really dont like England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Happyman42 wrote: »
    We don't 'refuse to support', cop yourself on. Look at the passion a GAA game can arouse, where is that in the LOI.

Right here:

There may be many things that the League of Ireland lacks, but passion isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Gutted. Hope Ukraine and France go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Right here:

There may be many things that the League of Ireland lacks, but passion isn't one of them.

Spot on.

Your signature needs a wee bit of tweaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

But did anyone see what ibrahimovic said to joe hart? lol
    Considering Hart was nowhere near Ibrahimovic when the goal went in ,perhaps the England manager taught Hart how to say '' fcuk you'' in Swedish .

Great result for England but bad defending for the two goals .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Delighted for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/15/3175112/inferior-tactics-inferior-technique-inferior-attitude-euro

Inferior tactics, inferior technique, inferior attitude - Euro 2012 embarrassment must bring forth a new Ireland

No team has performed as badly as Ireland at the 2012 European Championship but it is only the tipping point after years of doing things the wrong way

Ireland are out of Euro 2012, the first team to have their exit confirmed. They have conceded seven goals in two matches, scoring only once, predictably, off a set-piece. Qualification to the tournament brought with it unbridled joy and optimism beyond any realistic scale, betraying the technique, skill levels and capabilities contained within the squad.

And the opening two Group C matches exposed Ireland on multiple levels. This team are not quick or strong enough, they did not compete as manfully as they have done in recent years under Giovanni Trapattoni and, most tellingly, their rudimentary play was blighted with embarrassing errors and mishaps. Individual mistakes, against the likes of Andorra and Macedonia, with all due respect, will only cost you so much. But against teams of esteem, in major tournaments, errors are punished and punished hard.

Croatia and Spain can scarcely believe their luck. To be given goals at the start of each half in both games is absolutely inexcusable. It is embarrassing. To concede goals from short corners, a farce. Failing to clear the ball, failing to pass the ball and facilitating, time and again, Spanish raids on goal show an incompetence unmatched by any team at Euro 2012.

Russia battered Ireland, twice, in the qualification campaign but took four points, not six. The draw in Moscow was the luckiest escape you are ever likely to see. It wasn't a success, it was a freak result. Not a victory for tactics, it was, instead, a defeat for football.

And at Euro 2012, Croatia and Spain showed what happened when that luck runs out. Ireland were hopeless and hopelessly equipped to compete. They ceded 75 per cent of the ball to Spain, who went on to complete 91% of their passes. That 75% equated to 890 passes. No team in a European Championship has ever gorged themselves on possession as Spain did in Gdansk.

Xavi, alone, found a colleague 127 times from 136 attempts. Again, a tournament record. By the end of play, the only statistic Ireland were winning was 'Long Passes Attempted'. Telling. Chelsea versus Barcelona was the blueprint for the game against Spain but that lazy summation gives lie to the fact that Ireland's players are good enough to stifle Spain's. They are not.

Raymond Domenech, before the 2010 World Cup play-off, described Ireland as 'England B' and had opprobrium heaped upon him. But the truth hurts. Domenech is right. Ireland do play like an England B team ... an England team picked from the lesser Premier League clubs and also-rans in the Championship. Some don't even have clubs at all.

What is required now is a thorough post-mortem of, not only Euro 2012, but the slow disintegration of Irish football. We cannot be expected to hone a football identity while the collapse and neglect of clubs in the Airtricity League continues. Dundalk can barely submit a week-on-week budget and the list of defunct clubs stretches uncomfortably long in the recent past.

Ireland's fans have been praised for following their national team through the thick and thin of Euro 2012 but it is a conservative estimation that less than 5% of those present in Poland will be present at a League of Ireland ground next weekend when domestic action recommences. Instead, the Manchester United jerseys and the Liverpool colours will be back on and plans will be made for a trip to Old Trafford or Anfield.

Try explaining that to a Dinamo Zagreb fan or a Celta Vigo fan. I'm sure the reverence towards Ireland's fabled support would become dubious. The supporters were lauded for singing until the final whistle. Four-nil down and singing. Asking for more. Like the nation itself voting yes in the Fiscal Pact Referendum, asking for more punishment. Enough is enough. There should have been rebellion, distaste, disgust. People have spent money they simply don't have to go to Poland and watch that rubbish. It is an insult. But it won't change so long as the supporters are identified as the perfect football fan.

And while the shunning of domestic football continues, Ireland will lose its best talents, early, to England. Promising young players will have the football coached out of them, as has been the case for generations. The Irish national team was the only squad at Euro 2012 not to have a player supplied to it by its own domestic league. That must change.
    Boys will be boys | Euro 2012 exit gives Ireland a chance to pick themselves up

In the long term Ireland needs to develop a formation, for the senior team down to the Under-15s and stick with it, become comfortable in it and express it. In the meantime, Trapattoni simply must play three men in centre midfield and use the pace and guile of Shane Long up front as a reference point for attack. Roots must be put down and an Irish style of play developed through the teams in the league and through academies. Until then, we will continue to hoof the ball up field and hope Kevin Doyle can battle for a free kick. The ball retention issue will not go away.

Aside from Keith Andrews, at the tournament, there is not one single player capable, or willing, to put his foot on the ball and pick out a pass. While a change in the composition of the squad may rectify this problem in the short term, long term remains both the problem and the goal.

Croatia, with a population comparable to Ireland's, have produced, in the last 20 years or so Zvonimir Boban, Robert Prosinecki, Aljosa Asanovic, Niko Kovac, Darijo Srna, Luka Modric and more. Players adept at keeping the ball, players with technique, assuredness and technical ability. That should be our aim now. And that can only come through investment and support in Ireland's clubs.

The Trapattoni reign will continue. That's fine. The Italian can only be held accountable for so much at this tournament. He put his team out to defend stoutly and take chances on the break. They didn't do that. Individuals made unforgivable errors at vital times. Trapattoni is an astute manager and a loyal one. He remained faithful to the players who qualified Ireland for the championship and gave them one last day in the sun. But the curtain now needs to be drawn on this generation.

Shay Given, who has played as badly as he has ever done for Ireland at these finals, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea, Damien Duff, Robbie Keane and insufficient fringe men like Stephen Hunt and Paul Green need to take their cues and leave. There may not be a generation of world beaters challenging them for a place in the team but the time has come for fresh impetus. Aiden McGeady, Long, Darron Gibson, James McClean, James McCarthy, Greg Cunningham and Rob Kiernan now need to be given the chance to play and write their own legacies.

Euro 2012 is the end of the line for Ireland's old stagers. It should be the end of the line for the cursed Irish 4-4-2. That formation has been shown up as inept, archaic and damaging. It is tough enough competing against Spain three on three in midfield. Two on three is stupid.

Irish football fell far at Euro 2012 but it need not be the end. This should be time for renewal, cleansing. It should be a scrubbing of inferior attitude, inferior technique and an acceptance that we are doing things the wrong way. Lessons must be learned from this Euro 2012 debacle. New players, new tactics, a new mindset, new men in charge of the incompetent kleptocracy that is the FAI. This opportunity must not be wasted.

We need a new Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Enjoyed both games, wish Liverpool got that amount of effort when Hodgson was in charge. I do hope we give Italy a game that gives us a good exit.

DoneDL wrote: »
    . I do hope we give Italy a game that gives us a good exit.
    The least a deserving public could ask for in a tournament that I'm sure from an Irish perspective , most will want to forget .

Stovlid .Amen to that .

At last , an article that doesn't use the loyalty of the Irish fans and their singing to gloss over the truth about Irish international football ...but it was coming .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a good article indeed stovelid.......... there may be trouble ahead for Irish football but while there's moonlight and music and love and romance let's face the music and Gdansk !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would the disciples of the eircom fried chicken league prefer that young irish talent didnt go to the UK but rather stayed here to be nutured at the various academies of excellence that our indigenous clubs offer :confused:. That they'll create a generation of world beaters by having them play for finn harps :eek:

That article is the kind of righteous daftness that LOI head's come up with from time to time I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Bambi wrote: »
    Would the disciples of the eircom fried chicken league prefer that young irish talent didnt go to the UK but rather stayed here to be nutured at the various academies of excellence that our indigenous clubs offer :confused:.
    You know that's what happens with every other nation in the tournament, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think we need to invoke the Granny Rule more stringently.

DoneDL wrote: »
    That article is the kind of righteous daftness that LOI head's come up with from time to time I guess.

But if an outsider with an objective opinion and no personall axe to grind about Ireland wrote that article it would be different .?

It doesn't really matter how the truth comes out but millions in Ireland and around Europe saw it with their own eyes .

Latchy wrote: »
    But if an outsider with an objective opinion and no personall axe to grind about Ireland wrote that article it would be different .?

It doesn't really matter how the truth comes out but millions in Ireland and around Europe saw it with their own eyes .

An outsider would say "what we need to do is build our local league up from the non entity it is so that we don't have send our kids across the water to learn that poxy english style of playing."

I don't think an outsider would say that?:confused:

Would the disciples of the eircom fried chicken league prefer that young irish talent didnt go to the UK but rather stayed here to be nutured at the various academies of excellence that our indigenous clubs offer :confused:. That they'll create a generation of world beaters by having them play for finn harps :eek:

The FAI think just like you.

The junior football structures in this country think just like you.

That's why we are fucked.

That's why we are a laughing stock despite - and because of - our ludicrously high notions about our importance in football and kid ourselves thay we are respected in world football for singing mongo songs on TV wearing leprechaun hats.

That's why we get raped by a country like Croatia that is the sane size as us; a country with a strong domestic football culture that are a respected international side.

Anyway back to hating "The Brits" while simultaneously **** money, support and talent into their leagues.

• Advertisement

An outsider would say "what we need to do is build our local league up from the non entity it is so that we don't have send our kids across the water to learn that poxy english style of playing."

I don't think an outsider would say that?:confused:
    Well there's always the Swedish ,Danish ,Norwegian ,Swiss etc style of Playing football who despite their limitations , give a fair account of themselfs in tournaments .

The point is , it doesn't matter if that article is writtten by a jurno for Footbal international , Joe Soap who volunteers to write for the local league or Joe Public in Ireland because it's only saying what is .How to deal with the matter is another thing altogether but their are some subtle hints in it there that would do to take on board for all concerned .

When we drew against Hungary in the pre friendly ,It was obious that we would be punished by those wasted Hungarian chances and after the Croatia game we thought ( hoped ) it couldn't get any worse only for to see in the first minutes , 3 '' professioanal '' Irish footballers stare at a loose ball (which any school boys instinct would be to just hoof away ) allowing the first Spanish goal .

It's all Bambi's fault. The Euro debacle. The state of the LOI. The fact that Trap looks like Leslie Nielsen.

All of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just noticed driving home this evening a family who were taking down flags and bunting from their house, not even waiting for the final game. It made me feel sad to think that our whole Euro adventure lasted the grand total of 4 days. :(

Latchy wrote: »

The point is , it doesn't matter if that article is writtten by a jurno for Footbal international , Joe Soap who volunteers to write for the local league or Joe Public in Ireland because it's only saying what is .How to deal with the matter is another thing altogether but their are some subtle hints in it there that would do to take on board for all concerned .

I don't think that guy is a LOI head.

The simple - perhaps unpalatable - fact is that a lot of foreign football supporters watching the Euros find it pretty weird that such rabid support for the national team at a tournament translates to such crap support for their domestic league.

Fair enough if people want to counter that with snide vacuous remarks about fried chicken leagues and whatnot but that is the truth. Most LOI supporters know that already from meeting supporters of foreign clubs through friendlies, European ties and internationals anyway.

It's all Bambi's fault. The Euro debacle. The state of the LOI. The fact that Trap looks like Leslie Nielsen.

All of it.

Leslie Nielsen me arse, He be the dead spit of Lloyd Bridges.

Other than that it was all me, I also gave Steven Staunton elocution lessons and framed Tom Humphries.

Other than that it was all me, I also gave Steven Staunton elocution lessons and framed Tom Humphries.

We have something in common then - I gave Roy Hodgson elocution lessons and framed Woger Wabbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ì always found it strange that the domestic league was shunned so much by the majority of Irish people.

I remember as a kid, wanting to go and see St Pats play Kilkenny City and my dad wouldn't take me to see it because it was only mickey mouse football. He was the one who got me into supporting Liverpool in the first place and loved watching the international team, but when it came to the LOI, it just didn't exist as far as he was concerned. When i was old enough i was able to get to the games myself and try to get to matches when i can, but not nearly as much as i should.

People seem to forget that some of our greatest players started out in the LOI.

Paul Mcgrath - St Pats
    Liam Brady - Home Farm
    John Giles - Stella Maris
    Roy Keane - Cobh Ramblers
    Ronnie Whelan - Home Farm
    Kevin Moran - Bohemians
    Robbie Keane - Crumlin United
    Packie Bonner - Keadue Rovers

We seem to be the only country in the world that thinks that searching for a player who is not good enough to play for England, Scotland, Wales etc is acceptable.

The two biggest mistakes made were the FAI only concentrating on the national team and giving two fingers to the LOI and getting rid of Brian Kerr as our manager. He had earned his stripes from managing in the LOI but i suppose he wasn't the sexy choice for the FAI.

The problem is that the FAI hirearchy is full of ould codgers who like to line their own pockets and slap each other on the backs at the AGM. Nothing is going to change until these people are retired and the people of Ireland start to show the same support to the national league as they show to the EPL and the SPL. This doesn't mean that they have to stop supporting the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd and Celtic, theres no rule saying that they can't support two clubs, but if you want to have a half decent national team, you have to start helping Irish clubs find and develop these players.

You can say what you like about the GAA, but the success of the likes of Kilkenny in hurling and and Kerry in football is down to the fact that the grass roots end of things is done properly. The FAI needs to start investing in proper underage programmes and getting kids attached to clubs so they can develop as footballers. Then when they are ready to move on, sell them on for good money that can be reinvested back into the club. Its the way it works in every other country.

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't think that guy is a LOI head.

The simple - perhaps unpalatable - fact is that a lot of foreign football supporters watching the Euros find it pretty weird that such rabid support for the national team at a tournament translates to such crap support for their domestic league.

Fair enough if people want to counter that with snide vacuous remarks about fried chicken leagues and whatnot but that is the truth. Most LOI supporters know that already from meeting supporters of foreign clubs through friendlies, European ties and internationals anyway.

Just coming at it from my own perspective and expierences with Irish domestic /International football , I am originally from the soutside of Dublin but would as a teen reguarly go to see Bohs play at Dalymount park on sundays ,sometimes go to the mid week FAI cup games and occasionaly would go over to Milltown to watch them play rovers ( I saw Rovers play Birmingham city in a friendly there when Bob Latchford and the guy who's a top knob in the English FA ( can't think of his name now ) played for Brum ...2-0 to the Brum ) .

I also went to see my first Irish international game at Dalymount as a kid when a Dundalk man 'Mick Megan was the Irish manager ( younger viewers ask your father )

This was before the Eoin Hand era and the only anglo player in the side that time was ' cockney ' John Dempsey from Chelsea and in those days ( early 70s ) if Ireland scored a goal againt foreign opposition back then it was a big occasion ...never mind win a game, which they sometimes did to ( Steve Highway been mobbed on the pitch by a 100's of Irish kids after he scored against England in a B international at Lansdowne road springs to mind )

I have been lucky to see the Man Utd Team ( which strangly enough only had George Best and Lou Macari as the only surviving members left from that great side ) beat Bohs 2-0 ,saw Everton draw 2-2 with Rovers in front of 55,000 people , with Alan Ball and Joe Royle in the side that night ( Everton were lucky to get the draw ) and the Leeds Utd side (with Giles,Bremmer ,Clarke ,Charlton,Lorimer etc ) beat UCD 2-0 as well as Brazil with Pele with Santos beat an IrelandX with similar score ...all at Dalymount park in the 70s

I have attended many Irish internationals at home over the years and with living in England now ,my last time to see the Irish internatioanl side was at Charlton Athletic Valley ground to see them get beat 3-0 by Nigeria in that four country tournament .

I'm only saying as such so as to not come across as another bar stool expert who never attended a league of Ireland game in his life ...so kudos to all those who have supported the LOI still .

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The two biggest mistakes made were the FAI only concentrating on the national team and giving two fingers to the LOI and getting rid of Brian Kerr as our manager. He had earned his stripes from managing in the LOI but i suppose he wasn't the sexy choice for the FAI.
    I always admired Brian Kerr , how he motivated the Irish team and he was always only 2 or 3 players short of a great side and yes , he had some bad results but it was shocking how quick the FAI kicked him out .
    The problem is that the FAI hirearchy is full of ould codgers who like to line their own pockets and slap each other on the backs at the AGM. Nothing is going to change until these people are retired and the people of Ireland start to show the same support to the national league as they show to the EPL and the SPL
    . It's just part and parcel of the old Irish brigade ,people who only want to hold onto what best for them ,not what's best for the intersts of Irish football or anything that takes away from their stance in 'The Board ' ...which is really just an extension of everthing else that's wrong in Irish life over the decades .

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Just noticed driving home this evening a family who were taking down flags and bunting from their house, not even waiting for the final game. It made me feel sad to think that our whole Euro adventure lasted the grand total of 4 days. :(

It's probably my imagination but even the flags on cars seem to be fluttering in a very half-hearted way now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

carvaggio wrote: »
    The idea that we have the greatest football fans is a bit much even though it may appear so in the large tournaments with the world watching. During qualifying games the support is rarely if ever like this, the fact is that these tournaments are treated as a big party (and why not) a lot of the fans are as interested in drinking and singing as the football, the idea that our fans are somehow superior to others is a bit false me.

Some of the individuals I know who have traveled to Poland I would very dubiously describe as fans of the Irish football team.

In six months time they will either be on the Neil Prenderville or Joe Duffy show crying their eyes out and blaming Europe that they have no money for Christmas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In fairness our euro adventure ended when we didn't win against Croatia. Beating Croatia, and getting one point from either of the other games and hoping the other results went our way was our only realistic hope of getting ourselves of the group other than a complete and utter fluke or relying on a bye in the final match by a team already qualified and wanting to choose an different match in the next round.

Still not 100% sure of the maths but if it's a 2:2 draw between Spain and Croatia then Italy may need to beat us 4:0 to progress ?? (can anyone confirm this ?) so we aren't going to get a bye in the last game.

We have the potential, rugby and GAA shows that. George Best showed that this island can on occasion produce great players. When our cricket team beat Pakistan they revamped their whole youth training.

Hopefully the €3Bn deal between SKY / BT will mean that UK soccer will be too expensive for us to watch - but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It's probably my imagination but even the flags on cars seem to be fluttering in a very half-hearted way now.
    Trap and the players are dressed appropriately anyway. Those black ties they're wearing makes them look like they in mourning and going to a funeral.

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In fairness our euro adventure ended when we didn't win against Croatia. Beating Croatia, and getting one point from either of the other games and hoping the other results went our way was our only realistic hope of getting ourselves of the group other than a complete and utter fluke or relying on a bye in the final match by a team already qualified and wanting to choose an different match in the next round.

Still not 100% sure of the maths but if it's a 2:2 draw between Spain and Croatia then Italy may need to beat us 4:0 to progress ?? (can anyone confirm this ?) so we aren't going to get a bye in the last game.

We have the potential, rugby and GAA shows that. George Best showed that this island can on occasion produce great players. When our cricket team beat Pakistan they revamped their whole youth training.

Hopefully the €3Bn deal between SKY / BT will mean that UK soccer will be too expensive for us to watch - but I doubt it.

If it's a 2-2 draw Italy are out. It's head to head record that counts. Spain and Croatia scored more goals in games involving Italy, Spain and Croatia so they'd go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I think we need to invoke the Granny Rule more stringently.

But some Grannies are young-ish and quite fit. It should be on a case by case basis. Grannies need lovin' too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ah both games are on at 19:45 tonight. What's that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Last games of every group ar played simultaenouly to stop one team having an unfair advantage of knowing that they need. Read this. Get used to it 0 it'll be the same for all four groups.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.. seems logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

awec wrote: »
    If it's a 2-2 draw Italy are out. It's head to head record that counts. Spain and Croatia scored more goals in games involving Italy, Spain and Croatia so they'd go through.

Croatia are +2 in goal difference, and Spain are +4, so Italy needs a +3 result against Ireland to progress in the event of a draw between Spain and Croatia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Trap and the players are dressed appropriately anyway. Those black ties they're wearing makes them look like they in mourning and going to a funeral.
    It is Bloomsday. Maybe they were going to Paddy Dignam's funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    The mindset is just fine? I explained clearly in my last post why it is not. Do you think its normal to go to an Irish international matches wearing english club gear and incredibly having english club names embarrassingly emblazoned on tricolours?

Passion? Have you ever been to a domestic game? I could give you a hundred examples when the passion and atmosphere is better than at Lansdowne.

Oh yeah and the product is there.

Blaming the FAI is too easy.

Have a read of this:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/15/3175112/inferior-tactics-inferior-technique-inferior-attitude-euro

Manuela is smokin:D

The same jealousy the average soccer head has for the success of GAA and Rugby.
    It's staring you guys in the face, but you'll just continue to jeer honest support for the national side and play the blame game.
    If you are a member of a LOI club then the state of the game is your fault, not the fault of those who want to support the National Team.
    Getting over the fact that the marketing of the Premiership is always going to attract support from here might be a start. I can guarantee you that these same supporters have their GAA county teams, and clubs and shout loud when the Rugby team play on the international stage and would have no problem supporting a soccer club of it was of a sufficient standard.
    What you need to do is get your share by offering equal product, marketing that product and stopping the jealous blame game. In other words....getting off your arse and doing something positive! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The same jealousy the average soccer head has for the success of GAA and Rugby.
    It's staring you guys in the face, but you'll just continue to jeer honest support for the national side and play the blame game.
    If you are a member of a LOI club then the state of the game is your fault, not the fault of those who want to support the National Team.
    Getting over the fact that the marketing of the Premiership is always going to attract support from here might be a start. I can guarantee you that these same supporters have their GAA county teams, and clubs and shout loud when the Rugby team play on the international stage and would have no problem supporting a soccer club of it was of a sufficient standard.
    What you need to do is get your share by offering equal product, marketing that product and stopping the jealous blame game. In other words....getting off your arse and doing something positive! ;)

It's got absolutely nothign to do with GAA, Rugby, Beach Volleyball or any other sport. Now get down and take the horse back to the stable.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It's got absolutely nothign to do with GAA, Rugby, Beach Volleyball or any other sport. Now get down and take the horse back to the stable.

Exactly, who said it had? It has, though, everything to do with what the LOI is offering.

Exactly, who said it had? It has, though, everything to do with what the LOI is offering.

"The same jealousy the average soccer head has for the success of GAA and Rugby. "

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    "The same jealousy the average soccer head has for the success of GAA and Rugby. "

:rolleyes:

Their jealousy(because that's all it is) of the National SOCCER team support is the same as the jealousy they have for the GAA and Rugby structures. It's all 'if only the people who support the National team supported blah blah whinge whinge', without ACTUALLY looking at what it is the above offer the supporter.
    The only things they need from how GAA and Rugby and the Premiership do it are the positives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Croatia are +2 in goal difference, and Spain are +4, so Italy needs a +3 result against Ireland to progress in the event of a draw between Spain and Croatia.

Unless Croatia and Spain draw 2-2, in which case it doesn't matter what Italy get against Ireland.

Come on the Poland Land!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Great seeing we're not the only one's with crappy weather this time of year.

Some lightening atm. Match will have to be suspended if that keeps up.

Unless Croatia and Spain draw 2-2, in which case it doesn't matter what Italy get against Ireland.

So... another Sweden/Denmarkl scenario?

EDIT - Most likley result, apparently... According to the bookines, anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement