Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Greece 1-0 up getting interesting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Good luck to the Greek's they need a bit of cheering up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Almost 20/1 now on Paddy Power for both Russia and Czech Republic to win. Worth a punt?

Almost 20/1 now on Paddy Power for both Russia and Czech Republic to win. Worth a punt?

Worth a fiver anyway plenty of time left.

Czech polish match quite good. Would like to see Poland get through.

Lack of earlier football meant a chance to watch some rugby and a touch of women's beach volleyball. Good day of sport :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Come On Ye Greeks..

Is the Greek match any use?? Not really loving this one match jazz!!

Is the Greek match any use?? Not really loving this one match jazz!!

Its not bad its on bbc3 if you have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Where is the Russian Empire now?

Great defending at the end there

• Advertisement

Bye bye Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I can't help but think we'd have had a better chance of getting out of a group like this one. That's not to say we aren't shíte.

Delighted for the Greeks though.

Has Didi Hamaan got tourette's syndrome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

That, as they say, is football for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not the greatest games but nice bit of drama there. Fair play to the Czechs and the Greeks! All things going well tomorrow The Germans will be taking on Greece who will be without their captain and best player, it's all falling into place :D

Kurz wrote: »
    I can't help but think we'd have had a better chance of getting out of a group like this one. That's not to say we aren't shíte.

I haven't seen him cursing much.

Didi is a legend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

After the first game I was saying, "Russia are a good outside bet to win the whole thing."

Lesson is: Don't listen to AnonoBoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

In Soviet Russia, bet wins you.

Its not bad its on bbc3 if you have it

Fraid I'm at the mercy of the bar I'm in :)

• Advertisement

Tomorrow's elections in Greece probably won't have a great turnout

Fraid I'm at the mercy of the bar I'm in :)

Oh rub it in anyway for those of us at home :(:p

kfallon wrote: »
    Oh rub it in anyway for those of us at home :(:p

Sorry :o

If it makes you feel better ill be back in crappy Dublin tomorrow!

Sorry :o

If it makes you feel better ill be back in crappy Dublin tomorrow!

It makes me sad cos I know you'll be sad to be coming home :(

However you can wash those post holiday blues away by enjoying The Germans giving Denmark a footballing lesson tomorrow night :D

I'd say Denmark will give them a good game though :)

I'd say Denmark will give them a good game though :)

I think you are right but I expect Germany will be too strong for them in the end. Hopefully Gomez will score again and edge closer to me collecting my top scorer bet!

I wonder if there will be many out on Monday for our final game?

• Advertisement

Yeh Gomez is doing pretty well isn't he! Would love to see Torres pick up that title though after all the stick he got from Liverpool fans (I'm not a Chelsea supporter!).

People should still go out for Monday's game but it's tough knowing there's nothing to play for. Though 3 points would let us walk away a bit prouder, Italy are too strong though I think :(

Yeh Gomez is doing pretty well isn't he! Would love to see Torres pick up that title though after all the stick he got from Liverpool fans (I'm not a Chelsea supporter!).

People should still go out for Monday's game but it's tough knowing there's nothing to play for. Though 3 points would let us walk away a bit prouder, Italy are too strong though I think :(

I am a Liverpool fan :o All my eggs are in the Germany/Gomez basket!!

I don't expect us to get anything from Italy tbh, not sure yet if I will go out or not, the whole thing about it is it worth a hangover in work on Tuesday??

I am a Liverpool fan

oh :(

oh :(

Somebody has to be :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

**blink blink**

• Advertisement

Didi's had the facial tick for as long as I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

even when he was playing??

wouldn't do when taking a peno

Somebody has to be :rolleyes: :p

Spose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

group A was an unbelievable heap of s***e. The Czech Rep have topped the group with a negative goal difference and Greece went into tonight's match with one point and still qualified. I have my doubts about the Russians though - they didn't seem to be trying that hard against the Greeks, it would be interesting to see if there were any "irregular bets" made on the outcome of the match.

fryup wrote: »
    even when he was playing??

wouldn't do when taking a peno

Yip he even had it then!
    Spose

Don't hold it against me :(:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Bambi wrote: »
    Would the disciples of the eircom fried chicken league prefer that young irish talent didnt go to the UK but rather stayed here to be nutured at the various academies of excellence that our indigenous clubs offer :confused:. That they'll create a generation of world beaters by having them play for finn harps :eek:

That article is the kind of righteous daftness that LOI head's come up with from time to time I guess.

Thank you for your marvellous insights. Judging by your posts you know nothing about the game.

I know nothing about cricket and so would never dream of spouting about it.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    The same jealousy the average soccer head has for the success of GAA and Rugby.
    It's staring you guys in the face, but you'll just continue to jeer honest support for the national side and play the blame game.
    If you are a member of a LOI club then the state of the game is your fault, not the fault of those who want to support the National Team.
    Getting over the fact that the marketing of the Premiership is always going to attract support from here might be a start. I can guarantee you that these same supporters have their GAA county teams, and clubs and shout loud when the Rugby team play on the international stage and would have no problem supporting a soccer club of it was of a sufficient standard.
    What you need to do is get your share by offering equal product, marketing that product and stopping the jealous blame game. In other words....getting off your arse and doing something positive! ;)

Who is jealous? I have huge admiration for the marketing the premiership, rugby and GAA does. But that is not the point here. I am a member of a LOI club and the state of the game is my fault? WOW I have read some whoppers on the internet but that is the all time best.

Yet again you show your ignorance of the game by saying it is not of a sufficient standard. In the last few years Irish clubs have knocked out clubs from Serbia and Russia. Last year an Irish club played in the Europa League.

I do something positive here every weekend by going to games like proper football fans do all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    I do something positive here every weekend by going to games like proper football fans do all over the world.

Above anything else, that attitude is the kind of attitude that pisses people off most about some of the more vocal LOI faithful - the belief that because they attend local matches weekly, that somehow makes them "proper" football fans and better than everyone else.

It's a weird form of reverse snobbery that I believe stems from a huge sense of insecurity which manifests itself in the need to strike out at others at the first sign of feeling threatened.

Kinda sad in it's own little way that you can't just live & let live without taking sideswipes at other people.

group A was an unbelievable heap of s***e. The Czech Rep have topped the group with a negative goal difference and Greece went into tonight's match with one point and still qualified. I have my doubts about the Russians though - they didn't seem to be trying that hard against the Greeks, it would be interesting to see if there were any "irregular bets" made on the outcome of the match.

Interesting theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I do something pjhositive here every weekend by going to games like proper football fans do all over the world.

Above anything else, that attitude is the kind of attitude that pisses people off most about some of the more vocal LOI faithful - the belief that because they attend local matches weekly, that somehow makes them "proper" football fans and better than everyone else.

It's a weird form of reverse snobbery that I believe stems from a huge sense of insecurity which manifests itself in the need to strike out at others at the first sign of feeling threatened.

Kinda sad in it's own little way that you can't just live & let live without taking sideswipes at other people.

People who go to support their club at matches every weekend are proper fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Above anything else, that attitude is the kind of attitude that pisses people off most about some of the more vocal LOI faithful - the belief that because they attend local matches weekly, that somehow makes them "proper" football fans and better than everyone
    it doesn't make them better than EVERYONE else, it makes them the same as other real football fans. Do you think the Croatian, Spanish and Italian fans all support a team in some other country via the television?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

People who go to support their club at matches every weekend are proper fans.

Even the ones that make their way across to England every weekend to support their Premiership club?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

From when I was a lad (and that's not yesterday) there has always been support for English teams among people in both parts of Ireland. For example, I started my allegiance to Villa back in the late 1950s whilst still supporting Glentoran in the Irish League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

We are proper football fans. We attend games. When you shout at a tv screen, and this might surprise you, that is not supporting a team.

We are no better than any other real fans around the world. No sense of insecurity or snobbery here. Just pointing out the truth which a lot of barstoolers do not like.

The issue at hand is how we were humiliated by Spain. One of the ways we can get better is by supporting our clubs here which in turn would mean more money, better facilities and better players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

CiaranC wrote: »
    it doesn't make them better than EVERYONE else, it makes them the same as other real football fans. Do you think the Croatian, Spanish and Italian fans all support a team in some other country via the television?

Yes they do.
    The point you people are missing is that you have not found a way to get your share of the support. The passion is out there, that is a proven fact. But because of mismanagement and frankly, laziness the LOI have failed abysmally to garner the support their sport warrants. That is nobody's fault but their own.
    Getting huffy because of support others get is a sign of the juvenile mindset. Time for the organisation to grow up or die even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I dont get LOI fans giving out about the whole best fans in the world stuff. None of us in Poland claimed to be the best fans. Thats foreign pundits.

How often do LOI fans cheer for their team when the opposition scores? Thats supporting your team, trying to lift their spirits. Singing the fields of athenry towards the end of the game was the same thing.
    I support Cork City and Ireland and dont get why so many people who are big into a club have no feeling for the national team - that goes for all over the world.

So far we probably would be the most popular fans with the locals over there which is great.

My brother lives in Brazil and everyone was talking about how crap the Irish team was but how good natured and loyal our fans were. The consensus was wouldnt it be great if Brazilian fans were the same.

Supporting your team on a horrible night doesnt mean your happy with the outcome, management, players, tactics etc.

Small bet on Gomez to score first against Denmark, surely Ronaldo will get his goal tonight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Small bet on Gomez to score first against Denmark, surely Ronaldo will get his goal tonight??

He hasn't looked sharp at all so far in front of goal.

mackg wrote: »
    He hasn't looked sharp at all so far in front of goal.

You're right but he's due and you can't keep class down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carvaggio

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I dont get LOI fans giving out about the whole best fans in the world stuff. None of us in Poland claimed to be the best fans. Thats foreign pundits.

How often do LOI fans cheer for their team when the opposition scores? Thats supporting your team, trying to lift their spirits. Singing the fields of athenry towards the end of the game was the same thing.
    I support Cork City and Ireland and dont get why so many people who are big into a club have no feeling for the national team - that goes for all over the world.

So far we probably would be the most popular fans with the locals over there which is great.

My brother lives in Brazil and everyone was talking about how crap the Irish team was but how good natured and loyal our fans were. The consensus was wouldnt it be great if Brazilian fans were the same.

Supporting your team on a horrible night doesnt mean your happy with the outcome, management, players, tactics etc.

I don't think people are having a go at the fans, more so the continuation of this idea that we have the greatest fans in the world.

It is easy for foreign media to believe this is the case as they only really see Irish fans in these tournaments, but even if we forget about the lack of support for the Airtricity League and focus on these people as Irish national team fans how often are we singing and showing the same support during qualifying campaigns? There have been occasions of Irish fans booing the team in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Interesting theory.
    This isn't the first time I had my doubts about the Russians. Little Slovenia beat them in a play off for the last World Cup when the Russians went down to nine men. There was even some story afterwards about Russian players "partying" til all hours before the match. It's very unlikely that a manager of Dick Advocaat's experience would tolerate players out all night on the pi55.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement