Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

This isn't the first time I had my doubts about the Russians. Little Slovenia beat them in a play off for the last World Cup when the Russians went down to nine men. There was even some story afterwards about Russian players "partying" til all hours before the match. It's very unlikely that a manager of Louis Van Gaal's experience would tolerate players out all night on the pi55.

Think you are getting your Dutchmen mixed up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

which match is on tv? hope its holland portugal

spirit_77 wrote: »

Yeah it is, think the other game is on rte.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

spirit_77 wrote: »

It is Netherlands Portugal as far as I know on RTE Two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

ITV1 and ITV4 showing both matches.

Duff named Captain for match against Italy.

Bad Omen \o/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

I wonder if Ozil has a crafty smoke before each game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Portugal need to cop on in front of goal.

There's Ronaldo's goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Two managers are going to have heart attacks tonight! The effing defences have taken the night off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

As he slid to the camera after the goal, did Ronaldo shout 'Eu sou Portugal' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Giles : "I think Holland had a bad tournament" :confused:
    really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lol at Ger Canning forgetting where he was at the end of the game.

Surprised at Didi getting the format of the knock out stages wrong, Germany won't actually meet Portugal again until the final provided they both keep winning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    We are proper football fans. We attend games. When you shout at a tv screen, and this might surprise you, that is not supporting a team.

And you believe that you don't suffer from a sense of snobbery?

LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

And you believe that you don't suffer from a sense of snobbery?

LOL.

No snobbery involved, the lad is just pointing out the differences between say, a Dinamo Zagreb season ticket holding, match going football fan, a Celta Vigo season ticket holding, match going football fan, a Genoa season ticket holding, match going football fan, or a Cork City season ticket holding, match going football fan and an Irish Man Utd, non season ticket holding, non match going television viewer.

The first four contribute to football in their own country and the last does not.

Theres no need to get so defensive about it.

CiaranC wrote: »
    No snobbery involved, the lad is just pointing out the differences between say, a Dinamo Zagreb season ticket holding, match going football fan, a Celta Vigo season ticket holding, match going football fan, a Genoa season ticket holding, match going football fan, or a Cork City season ticket holding, match going football fan and an Irish Man Utd, non season ticket holding, non match going television viewer.

The first four contribute to football in their own country and the last does not.

Theres no need to get so defensive about it.

I understand the argument. I just find it utterly pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I understand the argument. I just find it utterly pointless.

Supporting football in your own country is not "pointless", the "point" is to contribute to its development on and off the pitch, the same as happens in the other countries in the competition. Irish EPL fans are so out of touch they cannot even grasp this simple concept.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Supporting football in your own country is not "pointless", the "point" is to contribute to its development on and off the pitch, the same as happens in the other countries in the competition. Irish EPL fans are so out of touch they cannot even grasp this simple concept.

I never said that supporting football in your own country is pointless. In fact, I would have thought that it was fairly obvious.

The problem with the lack of support for the LOI is not the "barstoolers". That's just a symptom of it.

However, in order to try & win support, the last thing that needs to be done is to use terms like "barstoolers" (as a derogatory term), to tell people that they are not "real" fans or to suggest that they cannot understand simple concepts.

You don't win hearts or minds in that way. Which is why I say that the argument is pointless.

In fact, when you think about it, it is counter-productive. Which is even worse than a pointless argument.

Anyone going out to watch the match tonight? Having watched the first two games in the boozer I think I will stay at home tonight in the hope that it will change our luck (even tho I know it won't!)

I'd laugh me hole off if Croatia beat Spain tonight tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    I am a member of a LOI club and the state of the game is my fault? WOW I have read some whoppers on the internet but that is the all time best.

You mean the state of the league of Ireland? Apparently thats the fault of everyone except the people involved in it. Funny dat :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Wayne Rooneys commets on the England set up are interesting

'' There's a good mood in the camp and with an English manager ,there's no communication lost in translation '' which is obiously a hint at the former Italian manager Fabio Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'll be happy with 0-0 and that's after only three minutes!

I'll be happy with 0-0 and that's after only three minutes!

If we can hold them to 0-0 til after the Anthems I'll be happy :pac:

Btw love The Italian National Anthem, classic!

Latchy wrote: »
    Wayne Rooneys commets on the England set up are interesting

'' There's a good mood in the camp and with an English manager ,there's no communication lost in translation '' which is obiously a hint at the former Italian manager Fabio Capello.

Apparently they have a translator in for Woy Hodgson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Apparently they have a translator in for Woy Hodgson.
    Whatever he's saying it's working .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Latchy wrote: »
    Whatever he's saying it's working .

I think they'll fail the big test again. Very suspect in defence. Maybe after a year with Hodgson they'll be a team but if they fail to get out of the group it might make his job a lot harder. I fancy the Ukranians to cause an upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I think they'll fail the big test again. Very suspect in defence. Maybe after a year with Hodgson they'll be a team but if they fail to get out of the group it might make his job a lot harder. I fancy the Ukranians to cause an upset.

Not a hope imo. Don't rate Ukraine at all and think England will have far too much for them. Not that England are entirely convincing but they were far better than a one-man Swedish side than the scoreline suggests. WIth Rooney to come back think they'll win at least 2-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

kfallon wrote: »
    Anyone going out to watch the match tonight? Having watched the first two games in the boozer I think I will stay at home tonight in the hope that it will change our luck (even tho I know it won't!)

I'd laugh me hole off if Croatia beat Spain tonight tho :D

Can't see many will, the pubs won't be happy that there is nothing to play for, they'd have raked it in if Ireland still had a chance!

The Croatia game was mighty craic in the pub despite the result, while the Spain one was ok there was a much worse atmosphere- probably as we were knocked out and the manner of our defeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ukraine will give it their all tomorrow night and be hard to beat but I still fancy England to edge it. I've been impressed with them so far, I hope Hodgson goes with Big Andy and Rooney up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

POZNAN, Poland (AP)—Ireland will wear black armbands in Monday’s match against Italy at the European Championship to commemorate the 18th anniversary of shootings in Northern Ireland that killed six people.

The match falls on the exact date of the attack and is especially poignant as it happened while the victims were watching Ireland play Italy in the 1994 World Cup on television in the rural village of Loughinisland.

European football’s governing body UEFA has granted permission for the armbands to be worn.

“What happened in Loughinisland in 1994 was an awful tragedy and deeply moving for all football fans,” said Irish football’s chief executive officer John Delaney, in a statement released before the tournament. “I would like to thank UEFA for assisting us in commemorating this atrocity and take the opportunity to remember all those who lost their lives in the troubles.”
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ireland%20to%20wear%20black%20armbands&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CHoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fsoccer%2Fnews%3Fslug%3Dap-euro2012-ireland-blackarmbands&ei=TGHfT8LcAYuBhQev3dGFCg&usg=AFQjCNFrW1BUy6w7lUplwoB-dnOsplqN7Q

Where I do support them I do wonder about all the other victims of the troubles and if this is bringing politics into sport ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It did strike me as a bit dubious. Given so many killings, you'd nearly need the armband made part of the jersey.

Nodin wrote: »
    It did strike me as a bit dubious. Given so many killings, you'd nearly need the armband made part of the jersey.

:o Maybe a black jersy witha bit of green :o

realies wrote: »
    :o Maybe a black jersy witha bit of green :o

Like this?

http://greenscene.me/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/irelandchangekit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Giles is rehasing the same set of clips and analysis he used before the Spain game.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Italy have the best anthem ever. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

For the love of God, dont sing robbie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hope Robbie plays better tonight than he sang.

C'mon lads

All that's asked for is a performance!

• Advertisement

Pity they dident play like this in there other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Same team, same tactics. We honestly need a more progressive manager, not this stupid stubborn ****e.

Varied wrote: »
    Same team, same tactics. We honestly need a more progressive manager, not this stupid stubborn ****e.

:D There is 17 mins gone and its still 0/0. Thats an improvement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

realies wrote: »
    :D There is 17 mins gone and its still 0/0. Thats an improvement ;)

Sorry my mistake, trap is clearly the next Alex ferguson. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The reason they're playing better tonight is probably because they have nothing to lose by ignoring Trapp!

Much better tonight anyway

Are Spain wearing the Dublin jersey as a thanks for us giving them 4 goals? :confused:

:pac:

McGeady is actually ****.

Is the Italians in white ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

The italian keeper took a sip of his water bootle then gave it to an irish player who drank out of it, who then gave it to an italian defender who took a sip out of it. WTF?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement