Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why do we need a world class manager like Trap? He’s the second highest paid in Europe ffs.

I’d like to see him replaced by a younger manager, one who isn’t as conservative and stuck in his ways. One that can actually converse personably with his players without the need to do it through an interpreter. I highly respect Trap as a manager, the man’s a legend in his own right.. but he just doesn’t suit our setup or level of resources, or what we have right now in terms of talent.

It’s like Steve Ballmer serving drinks at a lemonade stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I’d like to see him replaced by a younger manager, one who isn’t as conservative and stuck in his ways. One that can actually converse personably with his players without the need to do it through an interpreter. I highly respect Trap as a manager, the man’s a legend in his own right.. but he just doesn’t suit our setup or level of resources, or what we have right now in terms of talent.

Only one man for the job so......

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Why do we need a world class manager like Trap? He’s the second highest paid in Europe ffs.

Do the FAI not get ****loads of money if they qualify for the Euros or the World Cup, regardless of how we actually perform in them?

If we had qualified for the last world cup (which we nearly did) and taking in to account the money the FAI got for this one, would we come out making money on the whole Trap deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Who realistically will they go for when Traps contract runs out or if he ends up leaving beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

DB10 wrote: »
    I'd like to see you learn a new language at 73!
    It's not a new language, been around for centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Fans interviewed in Poznan on the Craig Doyle show. And one mensa candidate was wearing a manyoo jersey.

There is no hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Fans interviewed in Poznan on the Craig Doyle show. And one mensa candidate was wearing a manyoo jersey.

There is no hope.

Another LOI club goes down and you are worrying about what somebody is wearing?????:eek:

There is no hope...............(for the LOI)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Well, that's the end of that! Decent enough performance in the second half from Ireland... just a pity we couldn't get a result at this competition - 3 games lost, 9 goals conceded, 1 goal scored.

It was never going to be easy for us - not in a group with Spain and Italy, and the Croats were never gonna be a walk over either. I suppose the biggest disappointment is that we didn't perform up the level we can - admitedly that level was never gonna be good enough to get us out of the group, realistically speaking, but we didn't do the basic things that we normally for the most part, get right.

As for the knee-jerk reactions...:

1. Shay Given. He had a howler of a tournament, but he definitely wasn't match fit & with the season he had at Villa, when he saw 50 goals fly past him, it was always going to be a big ask to get him to perform to the levels we know him for. He's been an exceptional goalkeeper for Ireland and an inspiration to many young goalies. It's sad to think that he may well retire on such a low note... but I for one, don't hold anything against him - I have nothing but admiration for the player - a true Irish footballing legend.

2. Trap. He was hired to get us to a major tournament. He got us there. Job done. When we got there, we underperformed and maybe he could have done more tactically, but I really don't think he could have done all that much more. With the imminent announcement of the retirement of several of the squad, it's time to re-build and I see no good reason why the manager who took us to our first Euros in decades shouldn't be at the helm for the World Cup qualifiers.

3. Robbie Keane. Anyone who questions how good Keane has been for Ireland is an idiot.

4. Retiral time. I think it's safe to say that a good part of this squad will be gone soon. And like Given, it'll be sad to see them leave on a low note... but they have all been great players for us - let's not forget that.

5. I think it's high time we retired "The Fields of Athenry". Jeezuz H Christ, that song does my fucking head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jeff Hendrick is another of the young players I forgot about, won young player of the year for Derby, this was defo the highlight of his season

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Another LOI club goes down and you are worrying about what somebody is wearing?????:eek:

There is no hope...............(for the LOI)

Bigger picture there lad. Do I have to connect the dots for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

And the sense of moral superiority continues....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Did anyone see that ludicrous display last night?

It can only be sorted from within. Time for the LOI to roll it's sleeves up and get off it's arse before it's too late.
    Would you stop a person wearing a Premiership jersey going to a LOI game?:eek:
    Your argument is ridiculous.

On the same point....I live in the Monaghan United catchment area (slap bang in the middle of it actually), not once have I seen a recuitment or support drive....not once!
    Plenty of tickets for raffles and plenty of sponsorship requests, but never anything about getting involved for the love of the game. Their demise is of their own making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There is no hope.
    I saw that, car crash telly!
    It's like the Euros were a substitute for cancelled Oxegen this year, the main objective is "craic" which means you have to get as ossified as possible and remember very little of the event that you paid to see :confused:
    What percentage of punters go to Oxegen to see bands? What percentage of punters in Poland were genuine football fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"you'll never beat the irish" in a friendly are the words they'll have to add from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thank christ that is over:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Thank christ that is over:(

Real soccer fans are rejoicing that another **** team has been eliminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Real soccer fans are rejoicing that another **** team has been eliminated.

Hey now, Croatia aren't that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I saw that, car crash telly!
    It's like the Euros were a substitute for cancelled Oxegen this year, the main objective is "craic" which means you have to get as ossified as possible and remember very little of the event that you paid to see :confused:
    What percentage of punters go to Oxegen to see bands? What percentage of punters in Poland were genuine football fans?

It must have been more painful for the genuine fans in Poland /Ukraine to see up close then us sitting watching at home and I think the chanting of 'ole ole ole ole / you'll never beat the Irish ' / Fields of Athenry ' to a world wide audience is very appealing to the 'only here for the craic' element of supporters ,some who wouldn't always be clued in to what's actually happening football wise . Considering events on the pitch in all 3 matches , it was all totaly irrelavant and it's one occasion when you could forgive the country for been anesthetized in drink .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

fryup wrote: »
    "you'll never beat the irish" in a friendly are the words they'll have to add from now on

In my pub after the Spain match we were singing " you'll never beat us five nil"

In my pub after the Spain match we were singing " you'll never beat us five nil"

Jesus, don't provoke them. :eek:

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It can only be sorted from within. Time for the LOI to roll it's sleeves up and get off it's arse before it's too late.
    Would you stop a person wearing a Premiership jersey going to a LOI game?:eek:
    Your argument is ridiculous.

On the same point....I live in the Monaghan United catchment area (slap bang in the middle of it actually), not once have I seen a recuitment or support drive....not once!
    Plenty of tickets for raffles and plenty of sponsorship requests, but never anything about getting involved for the love of the game. Their demise is of their own making.

That is a stupid point. They can wear rangers tops for all I care as long as they go to a LOI game. If you saw Dutch fans in Poland none of them were wearing Bayern Munich jersies.

Why didnt you just go to Gortakeegan of your own making?

Jesus get over the LOI / international fans stuff already.. Isn't there a soccer forum for that sort of relentless self-involved diatribe? This thread is supposed to be for chit-chat about the Euro's.

So.. any predictions for tonight's games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Win for England, Rooney to score 2 goals.

Rooney looks sharp, the English defence doesn't.

I've a euro on Milevskiy to score first and Ukraine to win 2-1.. 100/1

Ukraine certainly having a go.

Their goalie almost made a disastrous error there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

England get your act together for **** sake. You're going to concede a goal very shortly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Rooney looks sharp, the English defence doesn't.

So sharp he missed a sitter.

Rooney shouldn't have started tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

11/4 for a Ukraine win...hmm

That is a stupid point. They can wear rangers tops for all I care as long as they go to a LOI game. If you saw Dutch fans in Poland none of them were wearing Bayern Munich jersies.

How do you know that? All the Premiership have high sales of merchandise overseas. Mechandise supports the team as do all those subs from pubs that show games for those awful barstoolers.

Your entire argument is a nonsense. The destruciton of LOI football is from within. People will pay to be entertained if the entertainment is of a high enough standard. If you have been keeping your world class entertainment secret, prehaps you need to hire a PR company! :rolleyes:
    It's the classic result of a vivious circle of no investment and a rampant blame culture with nobody taking responsibility.

Go on Rooney.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So sharp he missed a sitter.

Rooney shouldn't have started tonight.

What about that really difficult finish? :pac:

The Rooney gamble paid off ...

• Advertisement

Clear goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

England are getting a massive rub of the green so far tonight.

Clear goal.
    It makes up for that disallowed Lampard goal in the world cup ;)

Latchy wrote: »
    It makes up for that disallowed Lampard goal in the world cup ;)

WTF has that to do with this game?

A clear goal. Ukraine were robbed.

We can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I thought a small bit of the ball wasn't over the line, to be honest.

What's the point in having a camera capable of seeing those things if it's not put to use. FIFA need a kick up the bollix
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I thought a small bit of the ball wasn't over the line, to be honest.

It was 100% over the line.. and then some.

WTF has that to do with this game?

How many teams get robbed in international games? What about the greek player who who had a clear penalty disallowed the other evening ? .That's how how things even out over a period , some you win some you loose . If it was Irish goal line that ball went over and it was disallowed we would all be cheering to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

ohh its getting heated on the sideline. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

What's the point in having a camera capable of seeing those things if it's not put to use. FIFA need a kick up the bollix

I wasn't able to make it out - Terry's white socks didn't exactly help distinguish where the line was, either.

Couldn't have been easy for the assistant, watching it happen in the space of a second.

Edit: Over, alright. Still couldn't have been easy for the assistant to spot, though.

I dunno if it was.

I think it was over the line to but until they bring in goal line technology to decide these things ,it's always going to happen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It looked over the line but the player might have been off=side when he received it.

Latchy wrote: »
    How many teams get robbed in international games?

This is the backwards ****e that FIFA spout. "Some teams get robbed, so why not others?"
    What about the greek player who who had a clear penalty disallowed the other evening ?

Again, what has what happened to Greece or any other country got to do with this game?
    If it was Irish goal line that ball went over and it was disallowed we would all be cheering to .

Well, you might, but I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement