Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    This is the backwards ****e that FIFA spout. "Some teams get robbed, so why not others?"
    Well blame all the bakward people in FIFA so

Again, what has what happened to Greece or any other country got to do with this game?
    Your FIFA quote above also has nothing to do with this game either but we are allowed to quote similar scenarios if we wish ..there's no law against it

Well, you might, but I wouldn't
    Very presumtious of you to think as such but I couldn't give a monkeys what you would or wouldn't feel in same circumstances .

I know of no team or countrys supporters who would want the wrong decision against their team reversed ....why would they :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

well done England.

The luck went against Ukraine tonight and it would have made it an iteresting last quarter if the goal had been allowed ( assuming the player who recieved the ball wasn't offside before it went over the line ).

As Gerrard just said on itv '' we all need luck and you don't get far in these competitions without it ''

(PS - the player was offside )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

hondasam wrote: »
    I dunno if it was.

This is the Ukraine, Smokey...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Clearly shows ball NOT over the line

http://lockerz.com/s/218455038

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

Rooneys goal was jammy,it deflected off the ukranians nut sack and brought it nicely to Rooney for an easy goal.credit has to be given to the Brits though they were playing in front of a hostile crowd and got a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I never thought England would've topped that group but they did.

Can see them doing the Italians in the quarters.

I had England in a bet to win their group along with Russia ,Germany ,Spain but the Soviets screwed that one up .

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

pavb2 wrote: »
    Clearly shows ball NOT over the line

http://lockerz.com/s/218455038

What comes around goes around - makes up for the disallowed goal against Germany in the 2010 World Cup although the Germans would have us believe that it was recompense for the 66 World Cup...it's a never ending cycle and someone keeps moving the goalposts.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carvaggio

Pherekydes wrote: »
    WTF has that to do with this game?

A clear goal. Ukraine were robbed.

There was a much clearer offside in the run up to the goal ironically not spotted by RTE analysts after several replays given what they said about the goal-line official.

The incident showed why we need technology, but Ukraine certainly not robbed.

And in fairness to the official in real time it looked very difficult to be 100% certain that the whole ball had crossed all of the line. It took the extremely slowed down over head angle until it was absolutely clear.

What comes around goes around - makes up for the disallowed goal against Germany in the 2010 World Cup although the Germans would have us believe that it was recompense for the 66 World Cup...it's a never ending cycle and someone keeps moving the goalposts.:D
    Spot on ... although some would have you believe it's all irelavant .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Agree but isn't it so pathetic to keep coming back to the debate of goaline technology, every season and every tournament seems to throw up some sort of error. The debate's been done to death and everyone seems to agree on this and there aren't too many good arguments against having it.

I'd prefer to accept the facts rather than the hope and belief that things even out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Can see them doing the Italians in the quarters.

No can do. The Italians despite their faults have in depth quality players who can retain the ball and penetrate defences and Englands defence is atrocious(like against Sweden). Ukraine tonight mostly outplayed England but didn't have the final killer touch, Italy in the likes of a player like De Natale do.

Most of the England players are overhyped on inflated wages, the Italians ain't. They are the real test for England to show how they play football, roll on Sunday!

England have scored four goals in the tounament by four different players and Hodgeson got it right by putting Carroll on against Sweden and playing Rooney tonight .I think they will be more than up for the game against Italy and capable of beating them but it wont be easy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How do you know that? All the Premiership have high sales of merchandise overseas. Mechandise supports the team as do all those subs from pubs that show games for those awful barstoolers.

Your entire argument is a nonsense. The destruciton of LOI football is from within. People will pay to be entertained if the entertainment is of a high enough standard. If you have been keeping your world class entertainment secret, prehaps you need to hire a PR company! :rolleyes:
    It's the classic result of a vivious circle of no investment and a rampant blame culture with nobody taking responsibility.

Thank you for not answering my question. Never mind. People of your ilk will never understand the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

can i just ask what was with RTE switching games 30 secs before the end of the england game to france v sweden. seriously pist me off at the time.

can i just ask what was with RTE switching games 30 secs before the end of the england game to france v sweden. seriously pist me off at the time.
    Perhaps to aviod the England celebrations at the end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Thank you for not answering my question. Never mind. People of your ilk will never understand the game.

My ilk??????:D:rolleyes:

I answered your question over and over again. Like the rest of the LOI ...you aren't comprehending.:rolleyes:

btw. Sport and football is a simple game an idiot savant can understand. Sports administration and administrators are another matter.

They have done it for all of the last group games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Latchy wrote: »
    Perhaps to aviod the England celebrations at the end ?

well that was my thought at the time but being english i didnt want to suggest they were doing that.

have to say their half time schpiel was pretty much 'hahaha england were slaughtered'. they seemed to be revelling in that. hence i thought the ending was not what they expected.

personally as an england fan, apart from being quite drunk, we got out of jail again....somehow, god knows how. we've somehow avoided Spain so maybe now we're all equal. 90 mins of problematic teams.

my personal happiness is avoiding Donbass again. I think in Minsk we can cope with the heat better and play more. oh and Spain.. think they'dve slaughtered us proper.

• Advertisement

well that was my thought at the time but being english i didnt want to suggest they were doing that.

have to say their half time schpiel was pretty much 'hahaha england were slaughtered'. they seemed to be revelling in that. hence i thought the ending was not what they expected.

personally as an england fan, apart from being quite drunk, we got out of jail again....somehow, god knows how. we've somehow avoided Spain so maybe now we're all equal. 90 mins of problematic teams.

my personal happiness is avoiding Donbass again. I think in Minsk we can cope with the heat better and play more. oh and Spain.. think they'dve slaughtered us proper.
    I was been a bit tongue in cheek but as other poster said ,it might be the norm for RTE to switch over to the other games at end and most of the panel (if not all ) played in England at some stage so they can't be to ungracious if at all ,to an England win ( although they are entitled to do so if they wish )

Spain and Germany may be the favs but I don't think we can rule out any of the last 8 who are capable of an upset and latin temprament may also come into play as well on the night .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Can't really see past Germany to be honest. Apart from their over reliance on schweinsteiger at times, they just seem too solid overall to be beaten by anybody. Even Spain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

gurramok wrote: »
    No can do. The Italians despite their faults have in depth quality players who can retain the ball and penetrate defences and Englands defence is atrocious(like against Sweden). Ukraine tonight mostly outplayed England but didn't have the final killer touch, Italy in the likes of a player like De Natale do.

Most of the England players are overhyped on inflated wages, the Italians ain't. They are the real test for England to show how they play football, roll on Sunday!
    And Italy are just full of world class fantastic players. NOT. England will beat them.

England, (much improved and showing signs that they might actually drop the egos and play like a team sometime in the future), will bleed goals against better opposition. We saw the state of French football last night and can see how easy this group was to get out of. Rooney fluked a goal last night and England had all the luck. They actually looked awful for long periods of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

England, (much improved and showing signs that they might actually drop the egos and play like a team sometime in the future), will bleed goals against better opposition. We saw the state of French football last night and can see how easy this group was to get out of. Rooney fluked a goal last night and England had all the luck. They actually looked awful for long periods of the match.

And yet despite looking awful, England scored as well as missing a sitter and restricted Ukraine to half chances (Ukraine's only two clear chances being the 'goal' and the missed header from right in front of goal, both of which were clearly offside).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Ukraine and Poland looked like sides that haven't played competitive football for over two years since the WC qualifiers - technically good but lacking sharpness. England are having unbelievable luck and with the way things are going they could do a Denmark or Greece. I don't think the Italians are that good, they even let us back into the match for a period in the second half.
    I think they will put two or three players on Gerrard and Balotelli will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

England were far the better team in attack than Ukraine. Ukraine were ok and put a few passes together and whatever but lacked in the middle third. They'd no clear cut chance when you consider (and as Beefy pointed out) Ukraine's header and "goal" from point blank range were both offside.

It was a case of job done for England. Never easy playing the hosts and they came out with the win. Think Ukraine are a very poor side and had they not been hosts would've been well beaten in the group (probably point-less).

Think England will take beating from here if I'm honest.

Ukraine and Poland looked like sides that haven't played competitive football for over two years since the WC qualifiers - technically good but lacking sharpness. England are having unbelievable luck and with the way things are going they could do a Denmark or Greece. I don't think the Italians are that good, they even let us back into the match for a period in the second half.
    I think they will put two or three players on Gerrard and Balotelli will start.
    Agree with everything bar this point. They had two clear cut chances yesterday and scored one of them. That's clinical. Ukraine had zero clear cut chances if I remember apart from two offsides which were criminally not given. They amount that hit row Z from speculative and frankly stupid effortswas insane. The Ukranians are very limited.

Also England were definitely deserving of their win v Sweden, Sweden were poor and relied on one man throughout. Lucky to get two goals when they did, I felt England were always going to come back.

Overall v France too a draw was a fair result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rooney should have had a peno last night as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

ei.sderob wrote: »
    Can't really see past Germany to be honest. Apart from their over reliance on schweinsteiger at times, they just seem too solid overall to be beaten by anybody. Even Spain.

I watched the Germany vs Portugal on a Tv in a square in Poland and had a terrible view but would I not be right in thinking they were very lucky. Portugal seemed to have most of the chances.

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I watched the Germany vs Portugal on a Tv in a square in Poland and had a terrible view but would I not be right in thinking they were very lucky. Portugal seemed to have most of the chances.

Germany weren't great that game, and Portugal had a couple of clear chances which they missed, but overall I thought Germany were worthy winners. They never looked particularly rattled and just had this air of composure about their play.

I think they can be got at, but they're the best team in this thing, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Germany looked totally in control up until the goal and then Portugal went at them! It was the first game anyway so I wouldn't take it as a 'form guide' were they to meet again in the final. Thought Germany's first half display against Holland was the best 45 minutes I've seen from any team in the tournament. I just get the feeling the Germans have been doing enough in the Group stages and keeping a little bit back for later in the tournament.

You guys must have been looking at a different game to me and most of the professional pundits, who all thought England where riding their luck bigtime last night.
    They where dominated for long periods last night, a better team will make them pay for that.
    They are better, but not the real deal by any stretch.

You guys must have been looking at a different game to me and most of the professional pundits, who all thought England where riding their luck bigtime last night.
    They where dominated for long periods last night, a better team will make them pay for that.
    They are better, but not the real deal by any stretch.

That's because too many pundits and amateur pundits confuse a team having lots more possession than the other team with a team dominating the other team.

In 90 minutes, Ukraine carved out zero onside clear goalscoring opportunities. England were happy to let Ukraine have the ball, as they were with France in the first game and at the same time England scored one, missed a sitter (Rooney) and should have got another on the break at the end.

England will give teams chances to shoot from distance as the idea is to let teams have half-chances but keep your shape so that they can't get a clear chance. They ride their luck in the sense that they allow themselves to be under a lot of pressure and are only ever one worldy 30 yarder or deflection or mix-up in the box away from letting a goal in but they were far from dominated.

Apparently Barcelona dominated Chelsea in the Champions League semi final and apparently Bayern Munich dominated Chelsea in the final and yet in both ties Chelsea restricted the opposition to half chances and created the better chances in open play (and of course got massively lucky with Messi and Robben missing penalties).

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That's because too many pundits and amateur pundits confuse a team having lots more possession than the other team with a team dominating the other team.

In 90 minutes, Ukraine carved out zero onside clear goalscoring opportunities. England were happy to let Ukraine have the ball, as they were with France in the first game and at the same time England scored one, missed a sitter (Rooney) and should have got another on the break at the end.

England will give teams chances to shoot from distance as the idea is to let teams have half-chances but keep your shape so that they can't get a clear chance. They ride their luck in the sense that they allow themselves to be under a lot of pressure and are only ever one worldy 30 yarder or deflection or mix-up in the box away from letting a goal in but they were far from dominated.

Apparently Barcelona dominated Chelsea in the Champions League semi final and apparently Bayern Munich dominated Chelsea in the final and yet in both ties Chelsea restricted the opposition to half chances and created the better chances in open play (and of course got massively lucky with Messi and Robben missing penalties).

That ^^ has all the delusion and making the best of a bad performance that the worst of the British redtops engage in. It's called 'riding for a fall':rolleyes:
    Whatever. Time will tell.

That ^^ has all the delusion and making the best of a bad performance that the worst of the British redtops engage in. It's called 'riding for a fall':rolleyes:
    Not at all tbh. Honestly did Ukraine look like scoring apart from the aforementioned two chances which were blatantly offside? England could've got 2. Had Ukraine equalised I felt England would've pushed on and would have found a winner. But alas we'll never know. Either way just because a team passed the ball around in their own half and took a few shots that nearly went out out of the stadium doesn't mean they dominated their opposition

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Not at all tbh. Honestly did Ukraine look like scoring apart from the aforementioned two chances which were blatantly offside? England could've got 2. Had Ukraine equalised I felt England would've pushed on and would have found a winner. But alas we'll never know. Either way just because a team passed the ball around in their own half and took a few shots that nearly went out out of the stadium doesn't mean they dominated their opposition

Did you miss the bit where I said 'a better team will make their dominance pay'????:rolleyes:

Not at all. I wasn't holding out much hope last night and expect us to lose to Italy.

It just baffles me that people can seemingly only judge a match by who has more of the ball. Defending is half of the game.

Did you miss the bit where I said 'a better team will make their dominance pay'????:rolleyes:
    We shall wait and see but I think England's mindset and how they approach the game will be quite different v Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And yet despite looking awful, England scored as well as missing a sitter and restricted Ukraine to half chances (Ukraine's only two clear chances being the 'goal' and the missed header from right in front of goal, both of which were clearly offside).

Ukraine had plenty of possession though and Italy will be a step up. They've a right chance against them though, the Italians haven't been that impressive considering the talent they have.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

K-9 wrote: »
    Ukraine had plenty of possession though and France will be a step up. They've a right chance against them though, the French haven't been that impressive considering the talent they have.

England playing Italy next

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

England playing Italy next

Yeah, some reason I'd France in my head. The Italians can be very quick on the counter attack, they might catch England in the rare event they put plenty of players forward, the goal against Spain a good example.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Its a long thread so perhaps this has been posted but has anyone noticed that its the PIGS vs the rest? Except of course for one little piggy that went "Wee wee wee" all the way home..

us

The penny drops! :D

There is defending and then there is 'backs to the wall'. England had their backs to the wall for long periods last night. Had Ukraine been more clinical in the last third of the pitch England would have bled at least two or three goals.
    That they didn't, was luck, not good design. Regardless of the offside issues, there were last gasp interceptions, saves and bungled Ukranian passes a plenty.
    Italy, given the same chances won't squander them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

us

There is defending and then there is 'backs to the wall'. England had their backs to the wall for long periods last night. Had Ukraine been more clinical in the last third of the pitch England would have bled at least two or three goals.
    That they didn't, was luck, not good design. Regardless of the offside issues, there were last gasp interceptions, saves and bungled Ukranian passes a plenty.

Ah well at least England are still there giving us something to watch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I miss the football.

But how could England (us) have bled two or three goals if Ukraine didn't have two or three goalscoring opportunities? It's not a case of being clinical as Ukraine simple didn't have any chances to put away clinically. Ukraine had plenty of the ball but England let them create nothing.

England's issue won't be coming up against clinical sides, it'll be how they deal with players like Di Natale who are happy to play between the two lines of four (if England play 4-4-2 which I suspect that they won't). Will Terry and Lescott be disciplined enough to hold their line or will they close down and leave space behind them? I hate to keep coming back to Chelsea (I don't support them by the way.... :D ) but that's what they did so well against Messi and Iniesta. They held their shape, refused to leave space for Barcelona to play in and watched as they blasted another 25 yarder into the second tier.

I'd disagree. Being clinical wouldn't have been much use to Ukraine as they created almost nothing and were ultimately reduced to strikes for distance.

England just needed a point, Ukraine needed a win and were at home. Of course England would be cautious.

A draw would have been a fair result, England didn't get hold of the ball in Ukraines have much but I though looked slightly more dangerous when they eventually did. Ukraine were slow in attack didn't have any ideas to get through Englands defence.

Maybe Englands goal could be considered lucky, but had they conceded it everyone would call it a howler, so maybe Ukraine could be said to have paid the price for lacking concentration defensively. A lot of people seem to believe that only possession football teams deserve to go through, I think that is pretty naive.

As a general note having watched yesterdays coverage on RTE Eamonn Dunphy was disgraceful, it's funny him complaining about how he perceives the gutter English media will react, when you consider he was talking up Irelands chances (of getting out of the group) prior to the tournament and if those stupid social media polls were carried out on the BBC he would be taking the piss out the average English fan who apparently 'subliminally believes his team is the greatest in the world'. Maybe someday he will realise that he is a gutter journalist himself.

But how could England (us) have bled two or three goals if Ukraine didn't have two or three goalscoring opportunities? It's not a case of being clinical as Ukraine simple didn't have any chances to put away clinically. Ukraine had plenty of the ball but England let them create nothing.
    Really, you are living in cuckoo land if you believe that. Maybe watch the game again from as dispassionate a viewpoint as possible.
    England's issue won't be coming up against clinical sides, it'll be how they deal with players like Di Natale who are happy to play between the two lines of four (if England play 4-4-2 which I suspect that they won't). Will Terry and Lescott be disciplined enough to hold their line or will they close down and leave space behind them? I hate to keep coming back to Chelsea (I don't support them by the way.... :D ) but that's what they did so well against Messi and Iniesta. They held their shape, refused to leave space for Barcelona to play in and watched as they blasted another 25 yarder into the second tier.

England have qualified for the real tournament now (and fair play) because as it turned out their group was easier than it looked pre tournament. 4 flawed teams. Pound for pound I think they will be beaten by Italy. Gerrard, Terry will be shown up for the flagging stars that they have become. A mediocre team (Ukraine) didn't have to try too hard to put them right off their games and the game plan.
    carvaggio wrote: »

As a general note having watched yesterdays coverage on RTE Eamonn Dunphy was disgraceful, it's funny him complaining about how he perceives the gutter English media will react, when you consider he was talking up Irelands chances prior to the tournament and if those stupid social media polls were carried out on the BBC he would be taking the piss out the average English fan who apparently 'subliminally believes his team is the greatest in the world'. Maybe someday he will realise that he is a gutter journalist himself.

Dunphy (and I'm not a particular fan) laughed audibly at the results of those ridiculous polls several times during the tournament as did all the panel.
    Dunphy like me, probably loves to see the arrogant British sporting and general media take one in the eye. It's why most of the world likes to see them rudely awakened from their constant fantasy of world dominance!;)
    I thought this time there was a more realistic appraisal of their ability and potential but we they are off and running with the media and their overblown delusions again. :rolleyes:

Dunphy (and I'm not a particular fan) laughed audibly at the results of those ridiculous polls several times during the tournament as did all the panel.
    Dunphy like me, probably loves to see the arrogant British sporting and general media take one in the eye. It's why most of the world likes to see them rudely awakened from their constant fantasy of world dominance!;)
    I thought this time there was a more realistic appraisal of their ability and potential but we they are off and running with the media and their overblown delusions again. :rolleyes:

Maybe you are referring to the daily mail or the sun or something, I wouldn't read them as they are from the gutter much like Eamonn Dunphy is.

Looking back the BBC's live text reporting on the game was anything but delusional. The fact is these delusional English fan types that a lot of us in Ireland like talking about are an extreme minority. The average english fan and sports journalist I have come across know well where team is at.

A headline on the BBC states 'Honest England Enter Bonus Territory'.

Heres a quote from an English journalist on the BBC "It would be delusion on the grandest scale to suggest England illuminated the Donbass Arena, daubed in the yellow and blue of the expectant co-host nation. Indeed, for most parts this was a poor performance where they came in second behind a Ukraine side fuelled by the hopes of a nation but unable to turn territorial domination into tangible reward." Sounds fairly realistic to me, I haven't cherry picked it either, just the first article I clicked on.

This 'fantasy world of dominance' you talk about is a fantasy of your own.

I actually cheer for England when they are playing, not because I have any actual links to the country but because I have heard the nonsense you are coming out with from numerous sources. If you choose to believe tabloid journalists are representative of a nation then you would be a fool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement