Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Really, you are living in cuckoo land if you believe that. Maybe watch the game again from as dispassionate a viewpoint as possible.

England have qualified for the real tournament now (and fair play) because as it turned out their group was easier than it looked pre tournament. 4 flawed teams. Pound for pound I think they will be beaten by Italy. Gerrard, Terry will be shown up for the flagging stars that they have become. A mediocre team (Ukraine) didn't have to try too hard to put them right off their games and the game plan.

How many chances did Ukraine make? I don't understand why you're ignoring this.

England can't play possession football. We're just no good at it. So Hodgson's team is set up to play a very deep defensive line, to keep its shape perfectly and to hit teams on the break. It looks **** and it does involve having luck (or rather not having any bad luck) but it seems fairly obviously a tactic.

If Ukraine had had three or four clear chances, maybe hit the woodwork, had a decent penalty shout or two then I'd agree that we got lucky. They didn't. They had a lot of the ball, couldn't work a way round or through England's defence so kept shooting from range.

I've already agreed that England will likely lose against Italy. Most England fans I've spoken to since the game finished last night feel the same way. No one is saying that England have played well, we're saying that England have played pragmatically and with a disciplined system which is giving us the best chance to progress as far as possible.

I've re-read my posts and perhaps I'm making it sound like I think England played better than they did. I don't. We were pretty poor. But we defended well, were disciplined and stuck to the tactics that Hodgson has set out. I'm sure Ukraine feel harshly treated today but it doesn't matter what percentage possession your team has if you don't create any clear chances.

The players worked hard and showed they cared. Contrary to the popular opinion of the attitude and belief of England fans that I hear a lot over here, that's all that most of us care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only thing the Irish have left to cheer is an England defeat, best not take anything they say seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

carvaggio wrote: »
    Maybe you are referring to the daily mail or the sun or something, I wouldn't read them as they are from the gutter much like Eamonn Dunphy is.

Looking back the BBC's live text reporting on the game was anything but delusional. The fact is these delusional English fan types that a lot of us in Ireland like talking about are an extreme minority. The average english fan and sports journalist I have come across know well where team is at.

A headline on the BBC states 'Honest England Enter Bonus Territory'.

Heres a quote from an English journalist on the BBC "It would be delusion on the grandest scale to suggest England illuminated the Donbass Arena, daubed in the yellow and blue of the expectant co-host nation. Indeed, for most parts this was a poor performance where they came in second behind a Ukraine side fuelled by the hopes of a nation but unable to turn territorial domination into tangible reward." Sounds fairly realistic to me, I haven't cherry picked it either, just the first article I clicked on.

This 'fantasy world of dominance' you talk about is a fantasy of your own.

I actually cheer for England when they are playing, not because I have any actual links to the country but because I have heard the nonsense you are coming out with from numerous sources. If you choose to believe tabloid journalists are representative of a nation then you would be a fool.

You are either very young or are being willingly obtuse for your own ends. That 'fantasy' has pervailed in the British media and the general public for yonks...from Tennis to Rugby to Soccer. How long until we are being treated to the 'they think it's all over' memories AGAIN? :rolleyes:

Beefy78 wrote: »

The players worked hard and showed they cared.

And that is what the significant change has been, shame they don't have the players they had a few years back to make it count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carvaggio

You are either very young or are being willingly obtuse for your own ends. That 'fantasy' has pervailed in the British media and the general public for yonks...from Tennis to Rugby to Soccer. How long until we are being treated to the 'they think it's all over' memories AGAIN? :rolleyes:

Do you know many people from England or are you basing your opinions from an episode of Alan Partridge?

All I can say is I have rarely encountered what you are talking about, and believing that the English general public are idiots incapable of judging where their football team is at speaks volumes to me.

I think every country's media and fans go over the top at times. I remember the Irish media a few months ago after you beat Australia in the Rugby World Cup. 'The Road To The Final' was all mapped out in one of the broadsheets and the rest were making the case that Ireland could go all the way.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Sport is all about getting swept up in the moment and dreaming of glory. I'd never want England to go to a tournament and not do everything possible to try to win it. Going for the craic and making up the numbers is pointless, IMO.

The fact that Bobby Robson and Terry Venables were so lauded for securing fourth place in tournaments speaks volumes for where most English people think we actually are in the World.

If we one day win something again it'll probably be the best moment in my sporting life.

Do you know many people from England or are you basing your opinions from an episode of Alan Partridge?

All I can say is I have rarely encountered what you are talking about, and believing that the English general public are idiots incapable of judging where their football team is at speaks volumes to me.

Did I use the word 'idiot'?
    Yes there are those with a sense of the reality. But I pointed to a widespread national sense of superiority (a by-product of the colonist and empire building mentality) which is frequently punctured by reality, to the great mirth of people, not just here, but worldwide. It's why everybody loves to beat the British.
    Beefy is right, all countries indulge in this to an extent, but would you or could you see an Apres Match leveller happening on the BBC during a match broadcast?
    We aren't as suprised by failure here, of course, we hope like everybody else, that's who we are, like it or not. It's what allows us to sing a failing team off. It's not that important at the end of the day.
    The British frequently are suprised, however many warning signs they are given. Some of the postings on this thread being a case in point! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Did I use the word 'idiot'?
    Yes there are those with a sense of the reality. But I pointed to a widespread national sense of superiority (a by-product of the colonist and empire building mentality) which is frequently punctured by reality, to the great mirth of people, not just here, but worldwide. It's why everybody loves to beat the British.
    Beefy is right, all countries indulge in this to an extent, but would you or could you see an Apres Match leveller happening on the BBC during a match broadcast?
    We aren't as suprised by failure here, of course, we hope like everybody else, that's who we are, like it or not. It's what allows us to sing a failing team off. It's not that important at the end of the day.
    The British frequently are suprised, however many warning signs they are given. Some of the postings on this thread being a case in point! :rolleyes:

You sing a crap team off because you are losers and always have been and are happy as such. May as well go for the craic as you've no chance of anything else.

We English don't expect to win, far from it. But just once we'd love to, just to shut up the likes of you, who whine and moan about the English "sense of superiority" while acting superior yourself. For the last few weeks I've been listening to people telling me how Ireland would "beat Croatia and maybe get a point each from Spain and Italy". You have Paul Green in your squad. No professional team in England even wants him in their team, even as a sub. Yet it's the English that talk bollocks about winning???

Little man syndrome is all you have, keep clinging to it, son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

summerskin wrote: »
    You sing a crap team off because you are losers and always have been and are happy as such. May as well go for the craic as you've no chance of anything else.

We English don't expect to win, far from it. But just once we'd love to, just to shut up the likes of you, who whine and moan about the English "sense of superiority" while acting superior yourself. For the last few weeks I've been listening to people telling me how Ireland would "beat Croatia and maybe get a point each from Spain and Italy". You have Paul Green in your squad. No professional team in England even wants him in their team, even as a sub. Yet it's the English that talk bollocks about winning???

Ah p1ss off will ya like a good lad

• Advertisement

No, it's because we're realists and in the bigger scheme of things, it's not that important. We are able to get over it and on with it.
    We English don't expect to win, far from it.
    As a collective....yes you do, frequently. Your comedians and satirists have used the fact for decades.
    But just once we'd love to, just to shut up the likes of you,
    But that is the point, you won't. ;)
    Trying to track down an essay written a number of years ago where an academic was making that point, that there is a physcological bar, preventing achievement on the soccer field. I will post it, if I find it.
    who whine and moan about the English "sense of superiority" while acting superior yourself.
    Nobody's moaning, it's funny, if a little sad and pathetic. Actually winning something would make little difference..........remember 1966 :rolleyes::D
    For the last few weeks I've been listening to people telling me how Ireland would "beat Croatia and maybe get a point each from Spain and Italy".
    Fairly normal aspirations going into a tournament.
    You have Paul Green in your squad. No professional team in England even wants him in their team, even as a sub.
    Trapatoni had him in the squad, to the exclusion of talented and employed others, you'll need to take that up with him.
    Yet it's the English that talk bollocks about winning???
    How is that related to Trap's selection?? :eek:

A little sociology never hurt anyone or self awareness. The study of the English can be fascinating.

Union Jack underpants anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

Joint worst performance by a nation in the euros and now the sad news today of the death of a young fan-this has definately been a miserable tournament from an Irish pov.
    Our performance against Italy was the best we produced in the competition imo but despite putting them under pressure we created no clear goalscoring chances.Credit to Trap for all hes done for us but I think hes taken us as far as he can.When he brought on Paul Green against Spain all my faith in his judgement evaporated.
    I am looking forward to the rest of the competition.Now our chances are gone I would like to see England win it but I don't think they will.A lot of people have been impressed with Germany but should they come up against Spain I think they will lose,because I think the Spanish still have a psychological advantage over them.Despite a lot of people writing them off Spain would still be my tip if I was betting money on it.Portugal are playing well and are a dark horse for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

No, it's because we're realists and in the bigger scheme of things, it's not that important. We are able to get over it and on with it.
    We English don't expect to win, far from it.
    As a collective....yes you do, frequently. Your comedians and satirists have used the fact for decades.
    But just once we'd love to, just to shut up the likes of you,
    But that is the point, you won't. ;)
    Trying to track down a essay written a number of years ago where an academic was making that point, that there is a physcological bar, preventing achievement on the soccer field. I will post it, if I find it.
    who whine and moan about the English "sense of superiority" while acting superior yourself.
    Nobody's moaning, it's funny, if a little sad and pathetic. Actually winning something would make little difference..........remember 1966 :rolleyes::D
    For the last few weeks I've been listening to people telling me how Ireland would "beat Croatia and maybe get a point each from Spain and Italy".
    Fairly normal aspirations going into a tournament.
    You have Paul Green in your squad. No professional team in England even wants him in their team, even as a sub.
    Trapatoni had him in the squad, you'll need to take that up with him.
    Yet it's the English that talk bollocks about winning???
    How is that related to Trap's selection?? :eek:

A little sociology never hurt anyone or self awareness. The study of the English can be fascinating.

Union Jack underpants anyone? :D

If you knew anything about being English it would be obvious that we don't wear the union flag. We leave that to the northern Irish.

I went into this tournament thinking we'd ft three draws, knocked out and go home. We have exceeded expectations getting this far.

No englishman expects to win a major tournament but for some reason the rest of you think we do.

Get over it.

If you knew anything about being English it would be obvious that we don't wear the union flag. We leave that to the northern Irish.

Are you trying to fool me or yourself? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

My ilk??????:D:rolleyes:

I answered your question over and over again. Like the rest of the LOI ...you aren't comprehending.:rolleyes:

btw. Sport and football is a simple game an idiot savant can understand. Sports administration and administrators are another matter.

Alas you dont as has been proven over and over again here. Stick to the barstool.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

One of the sad things about our campaign is the performance of Given. He's been picking up injuries too much in the last couple of years and is long past his best. 5Years back I thought only Buffon and Casillas were better. He is nowhere near the world class goalie he was. I hope he carries on, he's still a very good keeper, just way past his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Whats your opinions about tonight's match between Portugal & czech republic, I myself shall be hoping for a Portugal win :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I think Portugal, Spain, Germany and Italy will advance.

Anyone backing a semi between England and Greece? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Portuguese the better side and I hope they win (my tournament fiver went on them) but the czechs wont be easy to break down and can score a goal too. Hopefully the Portuguese defence wont do a repeat performance of their match against the Danes.

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Alas you dont as has been proven over and over again here. Stick to the barstool.

Withering riposte! :rolleyes:

Come up with a plan to stop the LOI fading away to a non entity yet?
    You could always round up the returning supporters at the airport, stick them in the brig for having the temerity to support the national team and sentence them to 40 years of watching Bray v Derry City?
    At least it's a plan!:D

realies wrote: »
    Whats your opinions about tonight's match between Portugal & czech republic, I myself shall be hoping for a Portugal win :-)

Could well prove to be the most enjoyable of the quarters from a neutral perspective. Think Port will win 3-2, they'll go 3 up at half time and then the CZech's will launch a comeback but won't be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any predictions on results after 90minutes. Want a good accum.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Any predictions on results after 90minutes. Want a good accum.

Could be way off of course (Euros generally tough to predict, there is quite often a shock or two in latter stages) but I'd go along the lines of:

Portugal 3-2 Czech
    Germany 4-0 Greece
    Spain 1-1 France
    England 1-0 Italy

Portugal 2 - 2 Czech Rep
    Germany 1 - 1 Greece
    Spain 2 - 0 France
    England 0 - 0 Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Portugal 2 - 2 Czech Rep
    Germany 1 - 1 Greece
    Spain 2 - 0 France
    England 0 - 0 Italy

Who wins the penos?

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Who wins the penos?

I was just doing my 90 minutes betting. I'd say Germany and Portugal win in extra time and one of Italy and England win 1-0 on penalties... ;)

I know Germany are heavy favourites but the Greeks have something aboiut them and would love to give the Germans a bloody nose. I expect Germany to go through but don't think it'll be easy.

I know Germany are heavy favourites but the Greeks have something aboiut them and would love to give the Germans a bloody nose. I expect Germany to go through but don't think it'll be easy.

Would love to see it. I expect the Germans to fillet them though. Loads of goals here.

Would love to see it. I expect the Germans to fillet them though. Loads of goals here.

Agree. Don't think the Germans have really had to get out of second gear thus far as such and you get the impression they've a lot more to give. Think this'll be the most one-sided quarter. Can't see Greece even coming close. Shame that this game could've been Rus v Ger which would've been a cracker imo or even neighbours Poland v Ger

Also Karagounis is a huge loss.

I'm glad it's not Ger v Pol, that's the one tie I didn't want for The Gerries in the quarters. No doubt Germany are the better team but the whole country of Poland would have been whipped up into a frenzy for this one and no doubt the Polish players would have walked out onto the pitch ready to run through walls for the cause. It could have been a potential banana skin.

I don't expect Greece to give much away easily either.

Think Portugal will win 2-0 tonight, Nani to score in 90 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Anyone fancy the Czechs? can't see them doing anything tbh. Saying that I've been wrong about virtually everything so far :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I need your support here I have Portugal to win the Euro at 20/1, put 40 euro on them,So come on support realies :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Worst game so far.

Where is everyone ?????????????????????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I need your support here I have Portugal to win the Euro at 20/1, put 40 euro on them,So come on support realies :-)

I'm hoping for a draw after 90'. Have a tenner on that and for Germany to beat Greece =p

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Worst game so far.

Just came to post that. Seriously boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Where is everyone ?????????????????????????????????

Sorry. Fell asleep.

Goooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Ronaldo is such a knob...

Not a great game but Portugal deserved to win.

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Could well prove to be the most enjoyable of the quarters from a neutral perspective. Think Port will win 3-2, they'll go 3 up at half time and then the CZech's will launch a comeback but won't be enough

I severely hope not!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I missed the second half cos i fell asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Good game tonight

Cork24 wrote: »
    Good game tonight

Mini world cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dunphy really has to start doing some research, he tried to claim tonight that the Portuguese national team haven't had much to shout about in recent times. Thankfully Darragh Moloney corrected him and pointed out that in 04 they were Euro finalists, in 06 they were WC semi finalists, in 08 Euro QF and finally were beaten by eventual winners Spain in the last 16 of the 2010 WC.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

It's a shame for the tournament Russia didn't get to the quarter finals. The Czechs lacked balls tonight and were playing for extra time/penos. The Russians would have gone for it. Dzagoev, Arshavin, Shirokov, Zhirkov. They have fantastic ability, they obviously lacked the mentality.

All in all, great tournament. USA 94 was my first and this one is the best i've seen. Great standard of football.

I stand to win more on Germany, let me feel the love :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

kfallon wrote: »
    I stand to win more on Germany, let me feel the love :pac:

I'll get behind whoever cuts me in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Let's hope there's no problem with the German team's bus tomorrow - wouldn't want Greece to win by default.

• Advertisement

Ok who is it Germany or Greece.Is Germany's decision to rest some key players very disrespectful to Greece and will they regret it ?..................I know ..........................I dont care either :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement