Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

stovelid wrote: »
    Don't worry, come August most of them will be plastic Scousers and Mancs once again. :)

I drive a German car, earn my living with German tools (I wouldn't buy anything else) but I still love to see Germany beaten in soccer. Man U have as much to do with the English national team as Galway United have to do with the Irish team. It's a very silly juvenile tuant in fairness. Try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Good for you.

Which country won the "World series" this year?

Unless he's really interested in poker or baseball I doubt he knows the answer. Do those sports even have international teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I drive a German car, earn my living with German tools (I wouldn't buy anything else) but I still love to see Germany beaten in soccer. Man U have as much to do with the English national team as Galway United have to do with the Irish team. It's a very silly juvenile tuant in fairness. Try harder.

Keep telling yourself that with the other imbecile flag wavers.

I like to think I am gracious when it comes to football........

...after you have a few snide digs first of course. :D But don't worry to much Fred, it's only a bit of craic at the end of the day.

Keep telling yourself that with the other imbecile flag wavers.

You don't really understand football and supporters do you? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

hondasam wrote: »
    They did better than Ireland.
    Yes they did better than Ireland but if England with a population of 50m approx cannot produce players with technical ability what chance do we have?
    Were England much different to Ireland tonight? They couldn't keep the ball, couldn't pass it and gave it away as much as we did.

You don't really understand football and supporters do you? :rolleyes:

Haven't a clue really. I watch a bit of Barca on the telly but that's it. I think they're cool. They make a lot of passes. Messi is my favourite.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Italy were way better tonight than against Ireland tbh.

I actually dont mind the current England NT. Its hard not to like Hodgson, and the media have been decent this time. They're just not at the top level sadly for them, to win these tournaments or get to finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Makes me incredibly happy. I like to see arrogance take one in the eye across a whole range of sports.

I'm actually the other way around - I cheer for England because I like to see ignorance take one in the eye.

The English media are nowhere near as arrogant as they used to be, every half-decent pundit said England would be gone before the semi-finals, and none -f them thought for a second that they'd win.

I always suspect peopel who automatically cheer against England to be still smarting from 800 years of ****e, but don't have the balls to come out ad say it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Good for you.

Which country won the "World series" this year?

Well it is international :)

Canada have a team in Toronto

Kurz wrote: »
    Do those sports even have international teams?

Yes, Ireland has a team too

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'm actually the other way around - I cheer for England because I like to see ignorance take one in the eye.

The English media are nowhere near as arrogant as they used to be, every half-decent pundit said England would be gone before the semi-finals, and none -f them thought for a second that they'd win.

I always suspect peopel who automatically cheer against England to be still smarting from 800 years of ****e, but don't have the balls to come out ad say it.

Yes, they've toned down the arrogance...on the BBC. But I listen to and read a wide range of stuff coming out of England. And the same old arrogance and sense of entitlement is there. Had they won tonight the BBC wouldn't have been able to resist.

Did you hear the 'beaten by a West Ham reject' comment by the BBC commentator? :D:D Brilliant! At times he and Mark Lawenson sounded like a sketch from Apres Match.
    It has nothing to do with 800 years of anything, just my lifetime listening to their illfounded yearning. I'm the same with Germany, America or anyone else displaying unwarranted arrogance. Like Europe winning Ryder Cups when golfers arrive on tee in army fatigues. That kinda '****e', you should try it.....very satisfying.;)

But I listen to and read a wide range of stuff coming out of England. )

Don't read it then?

No reason to read it unless you support an English team.

Don't read it then?

No reason to read it unless you support an English team.

But I enjoy it, have you not been reading a word I've written? :rolleyes:
    It's fun, it's like somebody who reads romantic novels, you know the outcome and that heart break is inevitable,
    Maybe you should follow a sport where everybody draws? ;)

It's fun, it's like somebody who reads romantic novels, you know the outcome and that heart break is inevitable,

Or maybe you're a mongo that devours the English sports media, inhabits a fantasy world where you think you are a 'manc' or 'scouser' but still gloat endlessly about England losing.

Or maybe you're a mongo that devours the English sports media, inhabits a fantasy world where you think you are a 'manc' or 'scouser' but still gloat endlessly about England losing.

Are you allowed to want a team be beaten over there? I might give that a go! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

why are you so happy they lost? do you feel the same about any other country?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Just seen Pirlo's Peno there. Mother of god, Pirlo must have balls the size of Lescotts's head!

I'm tired explaining it, read my posts.
    Yes, I feel almost exactly the same about the Germans, the French when they are good, America in almost any sport etc.I rarely watch any sport without taking a side. It's a game, you are supposed to take sides, that's the fun of it ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Disappointed for England. I don't find the media there arrogant at all, quite self deprecating actually. And do they genuinely go on about 1966 constantly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well, if the fans didn't think appropriate to bring blow-up WWII fighters to matches
    http://gu.com/p/38h59

or turn up dressed as fighter or bomber pilots at a german game...
    http://news.ghananation.com/templates/?a=28777
    maybe they wouldn't engender that level of hostility.

• Advertisement

Onixx wrote: »
    Disappointed for England. I don't find the media there arrogant at all, quite self deprecating actually. And do they genuinely go on about 1966 constantly?

Did you listen to the half time punditry on BBC....the consensus was that England were playing well??????????? :eek: Delusions.
    The commentators changed tack in the second half because it was evident that they where a beaten docket.

Yes they used the clip when they where going on about Fate and Destiny before the match. At quarter final stage ffs, it's laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Nodin wrote: »
    Well, if the fans didn't think appropriate to bring blow-up WWII fighters to matches
    http://gu.com/p/38h59

or turn up dressed as fighter or bomber pilots at a german game...
    http://news.ghananation.com/templates/?a=28777
    maybe they wouldn't engender that level of hostility.
    I assume that's only a handful of muppets though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Kurz wrote: »
    Unless he's really interested in poker or baseball I doubt he knows the answer. Do those sports even have international teams?

Baseball does. Interestingly enough, the US is by no means the best country at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yes, they've toned down the arrogance...on the BBC. But I listen to and read a wide range of stuff coming out of England. And the same old arrogance and sense of entitlement is there. Had they won tonight the BBC wouldn't have been able to resist.
    I live here, and tbh there hasn't been any great level of hype/expectation. Sure enough you'll get the odd jingoistic headline in the tabloids but overall people have been realistic. The better team went through at the end, didn't stop me cheering for the underdog :pac:

I imagine if Ireland had made the quarters our media would be declaring an end to austerity and the dawn of a new Celtic Tiger era.

They'd have been even less fancied to overcome Germany and everybody, including the media would have acknowledged this. Everyone I spoke to predicted exit in the quarters - anything further a bonus. So it has transpired, I also think most here will be disappointed, but not gutted in the manner of previous penalty defeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I was born and bred in England till the age of 14, speak with an English accent and I'm glad England are out.

I couldn't watch the build up on the bbc. So sycophantic, if they are so called "experts" saying the quarter finals were Englands level why the hell were they all predicting them to win before hand then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

In the relay race that is disappointment England hand over to Andy Murray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

2 days without any football on TV, what are we gonna do? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Did you hear the 'beaten by a West Ham reject' comment by the BBC commentator? :D:D Brilliant! At times he and Mark Lawenson sounded like a sketch from Apres Match.
    It has nothing to do with 800 years of anything, just my lifetime listening to their illfounded yearning. I'm the same with Germany, America or anyone else displaying unwarranted arrogance. Like Europe winning Ryder Cups when golfers arrive on tee in army fatigues. That kinda '****e', you should try it.....very satisfying.;)

Not havgin British TV, no - sorry. But I can andd do read online stuff and the consensus was that England were never goign to win.

I never accused YOU specifically of the 800 years thing, but there is something deeper in this anti-ENglish thing that is beign covered up. No one complains when Ryle Nudgent goes overboard abotu "the greatest sporting acheienvement since Delany in 56" (Leinser winning the Heineken Cup, apparently).

Hate golf, can't comment, but if this is your attitude, who the hell is left to support...??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sonic.boom

kfallon wrote: »
    2 days without any football on TV, what are we gonna do? :(

Play football ;-)

• Advertisement

sonic.boom wrote: »
    Play football ;-)

That's what I'm doing tonight and tomorrow :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lawro was in great form last night.

About 75 minutes in and he's utterly miserable at how England are playing and they have a break in the game and they're explaining you can catch the action live on bbc's site and you can even communicate with BBC pundits on twitter and Lawro just says "Yeah. If you're sad enough."

Not havgin British TV, no - sorry. But I can andd do read online stuff and the consensus was that England were never goign to win.

I never accused YOU specifically of the 800 years thing, but there is something deeper in this anti-ENglish thing that is beign covered up. No one complains when Ryle Nudgent goes overboard abotu "the greatest sporting acheienvement since Delany in 56" (Leinser winning the Heineken Cup, apparently).

Hate golf, can't comment, but if this is your attitude, who the hell is left to support...??

There are those in Ireland so politically correctly up themselves they can't enjoy anything competitive between the two islands lest they be called rabid IRA dogs. :D It's a game of footie, ffs
    I reckon if you took a vox pop of sentiment in England before Germany played somebody like Sweden then you would find some fairly deep grained predjiduces?
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's all just good old fashioned tribal rivally. Our oh so PC brigade don't do tribal stuff...so gauche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There are those in Ireland so politically correctly up themselves they can't enjoy anything competitive between the two islands lest they be called rabid IRA dogs. :D It's a game of footie, ffs
    I reckon if you took a vox pop of sentiment in England before Germany played somebody like Sweden then you would find some fairly deep grained predjiduces?
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's all just good old fashioned tribal rivally. Our oh so PC brigade don't do tribal stuff...so gauche!

The tribal rivalry only goes one way though.

I watched the Ireland v Spain game in a pub in London and no one was cheering when Spain scored, in fact quite the opposite.

I watched the game last night in a Dublin pub and half the pub were going mental when Italy scored their penalties.

It's not tribal rivalry, its small man syndrome.

It's not tribal rivalry,
    Yes it is.
    its small man syndrome.

So what, would you rather it expressed itself in some other way? Like crowd violence, bottle throwing thugs, did you not get your fill of that in the English game? Get over yourself. :rolleyes:

No - to be honest, the English fans I've watched games with (and there have been quiet a few) have been pretty neutral to be honest. And, as Fratton Fred said above, very supportive of Ireland.

The Gremans are, in the eyes of the majority of English fans over here, a quality team and would be worthy winners of the tournament.

• Advertisement

So what, would you rather it expressed itself in some other way? Like crowd violence, bottle throwing thugs, did you not get your fill of that in the English game? Get over yourself. :rolleyes:

I'd reather we got the **** over it and didn't feel the petty need to express it in the first place. I'd also we didn't resort to 20 year old arguments and dead stereotypes in order to defend ourselves.

I'd reather we got the **** over it and didn't feel the petty need to express it in the first place. I'd also we didn't resort to 20 year old arguments and dead stereotypes in order to defend ourselves.

As I said, you can live in a politically correct cloud cuckoo land with the others. The real world doesn't work that way.
    It's no different to the tribalism between the two Manchester teams.
    It's harmless tribal rivallry, the lifeblood of competition, sport would become sterile without it. The past-time of purists and afficiandos of the perfect game. Yuck! What would the history of soccer be like without the great rivallry's? England-Germany, Brazil-Argentina, Spain-Portugal, Ireland-England?

As I said, you can live in a politically correct cloud cuckoo land with the others. The real world doesn't work that way.
    I think you posted this in the wrong thread...? Absolutely nothign to do with the argument presented.
    It's no different to the tribalism between the two Manchester teams.
    It's harmless tribal rivallry, the lifeblood of competition, sport would become sterile without it.
    No, because rivalry is two teams going against each other. This is one team going against a team that at worst doesn't care, at best, is actively supportive.

To put it another way: when do you ever see masses of Man Cty fans cheering Man United from a neutral perspective...???
    The past-time of purists and afficiandos of the perfect game. Yuck! What would the history of soccer be like without the great rivallry's? England-Germany, Brazil-Argentina, Spain-Portugal, Ireland-England?

That last one is not one of the "great" rivalries. They don't hate us.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread...? Absolutely nothign to do with the argument presented.

Yes it has, you try to ignore the reason international sport exists in the first place. If it weren't so, why don't we select two teams of the most talented footballers in the world and let them play each other, Team X versus Team Y.
    Once you name them after a tribe....things have a tendency to get tribal. Things tend to get heated if their is a history between the tribes outside of football. That's the real world, the cloud cuckoo land is expecting it to be like Team X versus Team Y. :rolleyes:

No, because rivalry is two teams going against each other. This is one team going against a team that at worst doesn't care, at best, is actively supportive.

And wither the fan in this world of yours? Quietly watching the beautiful game in the stand? :rolleyes:
    They don't hate us.

Hand me down the violin! It's just a game ffs. You'll be taking the ball home next! :rolleyes:

The sooner the semi finals are here and we can move on from last night's game, the better imo!

• Advertisement

we can move on

Oh Gawd, not that again! Group hug? :D

Group hug? :D

Only if you are rooting for The Germans....otherwise get away from me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I watched the Ireland v Spain game in a pub in London and no one was cheering when Spain scored, in fact quite the opposite.

I watched the game last night in a Dublin pub and half the pub were going mental when Italy scored their penalties.

Some of your lads still sing No Surrender to the IRA, when on tour. A sentiment I happen to agree with, and nor to the UVF either, but it seems dated.

I believe the percentage of Irish people who say they support England if not playing Ireland, is about the same, or higher than the percentage of English people who support Ireland if not playing England - or other "home" nations. If you take away people of Irish descent it evens out. However, the anti-English mob are vocal in pubs, and the No Surrender lads are vocal on tour.

I happened to be on a tube when an English game finished. lots of people came out from a pub above Baker Loo with the English jerseys singing No Surrender. The Tube got packed, and seemed hostile - and I don't feel that with GAA or Irish soccer or Rugger fans.

I kept quiet, I have to tell ya.

That said I support England, not with my gut though. When they lose I am not devastated.

And these lads. Who now remembers these lads?

Some of your lads still sing No Surrender to the IRA, when on tour. A sentiment I happen to agree with, and nor to the UVF either, but it seems dated.

I believe the percentage of Irish people who say they support England if not playing Ireland, is about the same, or higher than the percentage of English people who support Ireland if not playing England - or other "home" nations. If you take away people of Irish descent it evens out. However, the anti-English mob are vocal in pubs, and the No Surrender lads are vocal on tour.

I happened to be on a tube when an English game finished. lots of people came out from a pub above Baker Loo with the English jerseys singing No Surrender. The Tube got packed, and seemed hostile - and I don't feel that with GAA or Irish soccer or Rugger fans.

I kept quiet, I have to tell ya.

That said I support England, not with my gut though. When they lose I am not devastated.

sorry, what point are you trying to make?

I used to enjoy this thread once upon a time :(

sorry, what point are you trying to make?

See the quote above you. Your quote.That was the point I was rebutting. The rivalry hardly goes one way if your fans are singing No Surrender to the IRA.

See the quote above you. Your quote.That was the point I was rebutting. The rivalry hardly goes one way if your fans are singing No Surrender to the IRA.

Hardly, unless the IRA is considered representative of Irish football fans.

Besides, the amount of people who sing that is probably on par with the amount of Irish fans who chant IRA, IRA, during fields of athenry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I used to enjoy this thread once upon a time :(

Yeah me too.

Lads quit the 1916, us against them bullsh1t.

Seriously.

Ok, but its a whole two days til the next match. So ill pop over to the Wimbeldon forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement