Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Was speaking to friend this morning who big Hull and England fan.

He got the video in work. They all found it funny and sensed nothing more then Banter.

Its just some bitter Irish people that seem to have problem.

Yeah from the few words on SSN last night and the English journalists tweets it came across as just some banter. I mean a lot worse is said and sung when the big derby games happen like Liverpool v Utd, Celtic v Rangers, Chelsea v Spurs, Newcastle v Sunderland etc etc and the opposition team bus pulls up.

It reminds me of an incident with Neil Warnock (of whom I am not a fan). Sky did a documentary following him around one season when he was manager of Sheff Utd. Anyway it's an away day, the bus pulls up at the opposition ground. Fans are waiting to boo him and when the doors open it starts, everyone booing. Warnock gets off the team bus, looks at the crowd and says, "Thanks very much" as if he's been complimented. The boos soon turn to laughter and the situation was difused. Classic stuff from a guy I don't like. If I can find the clip on YouTube later I'll post it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Quick question, are the English based close to where Ireland fans are. I would be more worried about the sad hits travelling 100s of miles just to boo another team.

Call me an oul one all you want but I am embarrassed to be called an Irish fan over that behaviour. If it was the other way around you would be spitting blood over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Call me an oul one all you want but I am embarrassed to be called an Irish fan over that behaviour. If it was the other way around you would be spitting blood over it.

I certainly wouldn't be spitting blood over it. It's friendly banter and should be treated as such. Nobody hurt so no harm done in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Quick question, are the English based close to where Ireland fans are. I would be more worried about the sad hits travelling 100s of miles just to boo another team.

I was a little bit embarrassed myself when saw video, but at end of day I be far more embarrassed if we

Made Racist remarks
    were beating up incident fans
    making Nazi salutes
    singing songs about dead people

When The Croatia Anthem is finished playing on Sunday night Irish fans will applaud that anthem. We have great fans. End of

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

It is all bread and circuses bull**** and the Government loves it as it jeeps the heat off them. I hope Ireland lose all their matches and people are crying and kids are miserable.

We might get a normal society then.

I wouldn't be spitting blood over it all. There is a rivalry in all things between Ireland and England. Football has the culture of booing the opposition which I'm not in love with. Tbh I'd much rather it was a few songs (which were returned with interest by the English) and a few boos than bottles, stones etc thrown at the England team bus or people spitting on it. That sort of carry on happens with teams of fierce rivalry.

I put it down to banter, I wouldn't have sang or booed myself but there was no violent behaviour so if both sets want to sing against each other let them carry on as long as it doesn't turn sinister or nasty!

It is all bread and circuses bull**** and the Government loves it as it jeeps the heat off them. I hope Ireland lose all their matches and people are crying and kids are miserable.

Ya go back to old old days where Catholic Church were great bunch to this Island.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

mike65 wrote: »
    That is pathetic.

That's the spirit :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Eh.... what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I was a little bit embarrassed myself when saw video, but at end of day I be far more embarrassed if we

Made Racist remarks
    were beating up incident fans
    making Nazi salutes
    singing songs about dead people

When The Croatia Anthem is finished playing on Sunday night Irish fans will applaud that anthem. We have great fans. End of

What's this we business.

Other Irish people and how they behave do not represent me. Certainly not beered up supporters anyway.

What's this we business.

Other Irish people and how they behave do not represent me. Certainly not beered up supporters anyway.

Why then did you pick my post? cause it seems to me that people do think this way on here.

I agree though with what you say, but its not me who actually annoyed with this.

I think you got confused.

What's this we business.

The 'We' refers to 'The Irish', "We have great fans" i.e. The Irish have great fans.....are you not Irish now?

What's this we business.

Nit picking at it's finest. You know what they meant.

kfallon wrote: »
    The 'We' refers to 'The Irish', "We have great fans" i.e. The Irish have great fans.....are you not Irish now?

Spot on and if your not then fair enough.

I think my point was pretty clear.

but if people want to argue...this is boards afterall;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Thats his issue. Those are a small selection of Irish soccer fans not a representation of Irish people. If they were being racially abusive would you be saying "We are racists" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ireland fans being true to themselves in the face of the old enemy

Reminds me of an old post of mine

Euro 2012 Cup Diary

Wake up.

Read The Sun.

Read The Star.

Watch Soccer AM.

Flick on Sky Sports news.

Get pissed off with the Brit triumphalism being constantly stuffed down my throat by the English media.

Finish watching Soccer AM.

Flick on Sky Sports again.

Read The Mirror.

Watch Football Factory again. Tell the cat to 'jog on'. The cahnt.

Put on Liverpool away shirt and head to the pub.

Complain at length to lad in Chelsea shirt about jingoistic British sports commentary.

Watch the England match on BBC.

Get annoyed at those **** going on about 1966. Do they ever stop?

Discuss our epic draw with the Brits 22 years ago with the lads for an hour or two.

Discuss our epic win over the Brits 24 years ago with the lads for an hour or two.

English pundits still droning on about 1966. Do they ever stop? ****.

Discuss how those cheating frog bastards stopped us getting to the finals of this world cup for an hour or two.

Gerard scores.

Slag some English bastard in the pub who cheers Gerard's goal, the dirty scouse bastard.

France score! Somebody spills beer on my Liverpool shirt. My Stevie G on the back now has a big stain on it. Fuck.

Go home.

Why then did you pick my post? cause it seems to me that people do think this way on here.

I agree though with what you say, but its not me who actually annoyed with this.

I think you got confused.

You said you got embarrassed. I don't get that.

The Irish football teams travelling supporters to be more precise. No, I'm not one of those.

If the English fans go mental and wreak the gaff, I wouldn't think bad of the English.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Thats his issue. Those are Irish soccer fans not a representation of Irish people. If they were being racially abusive would you be saying "We are racists" ?

No... You would say "a small section" of Irish fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Super-Rush wrote: »

The women won't like the soaps being all over the place for two weeks.

don't worry... most people have 2 or more tvs or dvrs

• Advertisement

You said you got embarrassed. I don't get that.

The Irish football teams travelling supporters to be more precise. No, I'm not one of those.

If the English fans go mental and wreak the gaff, I wouldn't think bad of the English.

Well its like when IRA were killing innocent people. Most Irish people would feel embarrassed by it.(just making example dont want discussion on scum)

Did it represent me or you or 99.99% of Irish people? No, but there still was that shame.

I think we have far greater things to worry about at end of day, then few lads rising a bit of banter, even if it were bit cringe.

That_Guy wrote: »
    No... You would say "a small section" of Irish fans.

You making my point for me or correcting my grammar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It reminds me of an incident with Neil Warnock (of whom I am not a fan). Sky did a documentary following him around one season when he was manager of Sheff Utd. Anyway it's an away day, the bus pulls up at the opposition ground. Fans are waiting to boo him and when the doors open it starts, everyone booing. Warnock gets off the team bus, looks at the crowd and says, "Thanks very much" as if he's been complimented. The boos soon turn to laughter and the situation was difused. Classic stuff from a guy I don't like. If I can find the clip on YouTube later I'll post it up!

Ah yeah, a bit of craic and witty banter at a game is great. AT THE GAME – not travelling hundreds of miles or to boo a team we’re not even playing at this stage. Besides, there was nothing witty or funny about singing Anhran naBhFiann or The Fields of Athenry. Now a witty song about JT shagging all the wives might be a different story...

Look, I’m not disgusted, I don’t think “it’s disgraceful Joe”, I just think it’s a bit sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

stovelid wrote: »
    Ireland fans being true to themselves in the face of the old enemy

Reminds me of an old post of mine

Euro 2012 Cup Diary

Wake up.

Read The Sun.

Read The Star.

Watch Soccer AM.

Flick on Sky Sports news.

Get pissed off with the Brit triumphalism being constantly stuffed down my throat by the English media.

Finish watching Soccer AM.

Flick on Sky Sports again.

Read The Mirror.

Watch Football Factory again. Tell the cat to 'jog on'. The cahnt.

Put on Liverpool away shirt and head to the pub.

Complain at length to lad in Chelsea shirt about jingoistic British sports commentary.

Watch the England match on BBC.

Get annoyed at those **** going on about 1966. Do they ever stop?

Discuss our epic draw with the Brits 20 years ago with the lads for an hour or two.

Discuss our epic win over the Brits 22 years ago with the lads for an hour or two.

English pundits still droning on about 1966. Do they ever stop? ****.

Discuss how those cheating frog bastards stopped us getting to the semi-finals of this world cup for an hour or two.

Gerard scores.

Slag some English bastard in the pub who cheers Gerard's goal, the dirty scouse bastard.

France score! Somebody spills beer on my Liverpool shirt. My Stevie G on the back now has a big stain on it. Fuck.

Go home.
    Thought Liverpool fans did not read the Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wonder how mouthy they would be if there was 20 England fans across the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Thought Liverpool fans did not read the Sun.

They just use other Muurdoch media like Sky instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jesus, are the actions of 20 or so fans really worth arguing over so much? For all the talk of pettiness and bitterness, there's a hell of a lot of it being shown in this thread. I've yet to see any evidence that the English fans present were offended by it.. but sure don't let that stop you all from taking offense on their behalf.

Besides, even the Telegraph didn't see any harm in it, and they usually froth at the mouth at anything which is seen to be anti-British.
    The mood was good-natured, a game of verbal ping-pong breaking out to wile the time away. The English began teasing the Irish with chants of “Thierry Henry”, a reminder of the Frenchman’s handling offence in Paris, which prompted a riposte of “One Maradona”. The English, showing rare awareness of life beyond the sports pages, responded by serenading the Irish with “You’re going down with the Euro”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/european-championships-2012/9315503/Euro-2012-England-hierarchy-attempt-to-douse-flames-of-Rio-Ferdinand-selection-furore-as-team-get-warm-welcome.html

Anyways... the football side of things.

My bets.. Only two.

Germany outright: 3/1 (Paddy Power)

Lewandowski top goalscorer: 20/1 (Paddy Power though might have shortened since then)

Was tempted to go for Huntelaar as top goalscorer but I'm not sure if he'll start or not for Holland. In the warm up games Van Persie has been the lone striker. They could easily change formation and go with two strikers but it's hard to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

stovelid wrote: »
    They just use other Muurdoch media like Sky instead.
    I am in Liverpool several times per month, never had a problem sourcing a copy of the Sun.

God love Paddy.

What are the odds on Ireland winning it?

Read an interesting stat the other day. That 2 teams won it after a 24 absence from the comp. Greece being one of them. They both won it. Ireland havent been there in 24 years If Greece can go all the way surely Ireland can give it a good go?

• Advertisement

What are the odds on Ireland winning it?

Read an interesting stat the other day. That 2 teams won it after a 24 absence from the comp. Greece being one of them. They both won it. Ireland havent been there in 24 years If Greece can go all the way surely Ireland can give it a good go?

I've seen us as long as 100/1 in some places.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/euro-2012/winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Ah, shure jaysus, dat's just cozza de English tinkin' every year dere gonna win it, loike, y'know. We're not hatin' de English at all, at all.

yep, ah sure its just a bit of craic:rolleyes:

if english fans did the same to the irish team there would be uproar in this country.. Liveline would go into meltdown

its crass and its embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

fryup wrote: »
    yep, ah sure its just a bit of craic:rolleyes:

if english fans did the same to the irish team there would be uproar in this country.. Liveline would go into meltdown

its crass and its embarrassing

No there wouldn't.

The fans wouldn't give two ****es if the same happened to the Irish team. Its what happens at football. Its time the Joe duffy brigade got over it. Not all of us whinge about every little thing that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Getting exciting now. Done my two bets, Group Dual Forecast Accum, basically predicting the 8 quarter finalists (got 7 out of the 8 four years ago), and Holland to win the whole thing.

No there wouldn't.

The fans wouldn't give two ****es if the same happened to the Irish team. Its what happens at football. Its time the Joe duffy brigade got over it. Not all of us whinge about every little thing that happens.

Time to give this "Its a disgrace Joe" "Joe Duffy Brigade" "I hate whinging" whinging crap a rest too.

Didnt dr.bollocko warn of personalised crap earlier in the thread ? Perhaps we could deal with the points rather than whining about those posting it too. Too easy to write stuff off as whinging and throw out the pathetic old joe duffy crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Even the Telegraph didn't see any harm in it, and they usually froth at the mouth at anything which is seen to be anti-British.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/european-championships-2012/9315503/Euro-2012-England-hierarchy-attempt-to-douse-flames-of-Rio-Ferdinand-selection-furore-as-team-get-warm-welcome.html[/QUOTE]

Its called having a sense of humour.

Some people just don't seem to have one though and will just look for any excuse to try and have a moan about an absolute nothing event that passed off in good nature.

I would guess many of these are anti - football people just looking to take any attempt to have a pop at the sport and those who follow it.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Getting exciting now. Done my two bets, Group Dual Forecast Accum, basically predicting the 8 quarter finalists (got 7 out of the 8 four years ago), and Holland to win the whole thing.

Might back the winners of each group.

Thinking of Germany, Spain, France and Russia.

18/1 on Paddypower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I canne find that bet on PP

Here is hoping that Irish Rugby team can win in New Zeland tomorrow morning and 3 points for Boys in Green on Sunday night.

Come on Ireland!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I canne find that bet on PP

Its an accumulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

CucaFace wrote: »

18/1 on Paddypower.

might put some money on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Aidan_a

CucaFace wrote: »

18/1 on Paddypower.

I've put €2 on accumulator on straight forecast for each group.(boylesports)

Group a Russia/Poland 5/1
    Group b Germany/Netherlands 5/2
    Group c Spain/Ireland 8/1
    Group d France/England 4/1
    €2 bet is €1890.00 return. It's a long shot but who knows. Also placed same bet except with , spain/croatia 7/2 and with spain/italy 7/4.

Aidan_a wrote: »
    I've put €2 on accumulator on straight forecast for each group.(boylesports)

Group a Russia/Poland 5/1
    Group b Germany/Netherlands 5/2
    Group c Spain/Ireland 8/1
    Group d France/England 4/1
    €2 bet is €1890.00 return. It's a long shot but who knows. Also placed same bet except with , spain/croatia 7/2 and with spain/italy 7/4.

I hope you are right with that forcast.

I would opt for the all the same except if i back ireland I would jinx them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

http://www.joe.ie/euro-2012/euro-2012-news/irish-father-of-three-goes-awol-for-four-days-ends-up-at-the-euros-0025572-1
    “I’m afraid to ring her. She still doesn’t know I went to Budapest, but she’ll find out (today) in the Star. I might switch my phone off. She knew I had to go to the Euros.”

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its an accumulator.

Okay, I thought it was a enhanced special.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

By next friday this thread will be renamed "LETS ALL LAUGH ABOUT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!!!! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    By next friday this thread will be renamed "LETS ALL LAUGH ABOUT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!!!! :D

What are the odds on the ultimate pessimist bet? Lose three times and go home.

What are the odds on the ultimate pessimist bet? Lose three times and go home.

Basically a treble of Spain to beat Ireland, Croatia to beat Ireland and Italy to beat Ireland....I can only see the odds of Croatia winning on Aertel (can't access betting sites in here) and they are 6/5 to beat us. Spain will probably be about 1/4 and Italy probably 2/5 at a guess. At those odds it'd be just over 11/4 to lose all three.

Powers have Ireland at 1/5 to be eliminated in the Group Stage.

It was 15/2 with PP last week for us not to score a goal (not sure if own goals scored on our behalf count or not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Basically a treble of Spain to beat Ireland, Croatia to beat Ireland and Italy to beat Ireland....I can only see the odds of Croatia winning on Aertel (can't access betting sites in here) and they are 6/5 to beat us. Spain will probably be about 1/4 and Italy probably 2/5 at a guess. At those odds it'd be just over 11/4 to lose all three.

Oddly though, PP are not giving the option of a treble on it. Not that I'd ever dream of making such a bet.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Oddly though, PP are not giving the option of a treble on it. Not that I'd ever dream of making such a bet.

Surely they have a coupon with odds for all the group games and just select the treble yourself? :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement