Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

irish-stew wrote: »
    Oddly though, PP are not giving the option of a treble on it. Not that I'd ever dream of making such a bet.

I was thinking about it. But you can't in good conscience.

Unless maybe you do the miserable armchair pessimist + ridiculous optimist approach. That way you'd be happy no matter how crap or well we do.

You'd also be bipolar. But whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Croatia 6/5
    Spain 1/3
    Italy 4/5

But more interestingly

Draw 21/10
    Draw 10/3
    Draw 9/4

Still leaving us with a (slim) chance too go through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I was thinking about it. But you can't in good conscience.

Unless maybe you do the miserable armchair pessimist + ridiculous optimist approach. That way you'd be happy no matter how crap or well we do.

You'd also be bipolar. But whatever.

Do the pessimist bet, if it comes in you make money from your sadness. If it doesn't you'll be as happy as Larry if we qualify.

You won't be overjoyed tho if we drew 2 or 3 games and still went out :pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    Surely they have a coupon with odds for all the group games and just select the treble yourself? :confused:

Just go into a PP office, I doubt they will refuse your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

Ireland will go home with 0 goals and 0 points. Its going to be as depressing as todays weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Surely they have a coupon with odds for all the group games and just select the treble yourself? :confused:

You normally cannot select 3 games like that and put them all in one accum (it normally doesn't allow you to bet) as the odds of say Spain or Italy to beat ireland would chage depending on the results of the first games.

Same as trying to pick Barcalona to win a sat leage game and putting it into an accum with a wed CL game. It is not allowed on betting sites as far as i know.

Same rational is used in that you cannot pick a first goal scorer and combine it with a result of a game in an accum either.

Amigomenor wrote: »
    Ireland will go home with 0 goals and 0 points. Its going to be as depressing as todays weather!

We will sneak a win againest Crotia (over rated team IMO who finished behind Greece in their group and failed to qualify for last WC) and then who knows againest an Italian team deviod of any trust worthy strikers.

Two 1 nils victorys to put us through. ;)

CucaFace wrote: »
    You normally cannot select 3 games like that and put them all in one accum (it normally doesn't allow you to bet) as the odds of say Spain or Italy to beat ireland would chage depending on the results of the first games.

Same as trying to pick Barcalona to win a sat leage game and putting it into an accum with a wed CL game. It is not allowed on betting sites as far as i know.

Same rational is used in that you cannot pick a first goal scorer and combine it with a result of a game in an accum either.

Ah the whole mutually exclusive thing. One outcome could be dependant on the other so you won't get a true double in the case of first goalscorer and correct score. I see what you mean alright.

mackg wrote: »
    Just go into a PP office, I doubt they will refuse your money.

Plenty of bookies have refused plenty of people a bet before ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its not on line anyway. Oddly didn;t look for it when in the store earlier.

:D

• Advertisement

Ah the whole mutually exclusive thing. One outcome could be dependant on the other so you won't get a true double in the case of first goalscorer and correct score. I see what you mean alright.

Mutually exclusive. I couldn't think of that word in my original post. Ha ha.

But yes that's the thing.

I'm sure you could get some odds off the bookies for Ireland losing all 3 games, but it will be less than the odds you would get in an accum of the 3 individual games as they stand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Any odds on three nil all draws? :D

irish-stew wrote: »
    Its not on line anyway. Oddly didn;t look for it when in the store earlier.

You were too busy trying to have your €50 on Trap 3 in the 12.57 at Hove....completely understandable my good man :p

You could just back Ireland not to score a goal at 15/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Anyone know or understand why "ole ole ole ole Ireland Ireland" changed to "ole ole ole ole ole ole"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No, but it would be enough to put us through. Another 3 nil all draws after that would be enough to win the whole thing, as long as the team have studied the Italia 90 shot out against Romaina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anyone know or understand why "ole ole ole ole Ireland Ireland" changed to "ole ole ole ole ole ole"
    I don't know but it should just change to silence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Extracts from an article in today's Indo show there are an awful lot of f*ckwits making a show of themselves over there...

"The lads reckon they were the first fans in Poznan, having arrived on Sunday after using that well-known slush fund to bankroll the trip: the student loan, which of course is supposed to cover books and such, not flights to Poland and beer.
    Four of them get grants of €1,100 throughout the college year, and some diverted the last tranche to the Euros fund.
    "I'm going to Australia so I'm not paying it back!" said Aidan. "They can chase it but they'll never get it."
    Slowly but surely, the Irish are becoming more visible in Poznan. Buses carrying fans from Warsaw arrived last night, although the campsites have yet to open and the camper vans are still to arrive.
    Local businesses are capitalising on the influx of Paddies, with Irish bars getting suspiciously "repainted" when it actually looks like they're springing up with the speed of a tent in one of the camps.
    Barman Piotr Skorubski (25) insisted Tanner's bar was established seven months ago when the owner, who was a partner in another Irish bar, Brogan's, fell out with his co-owner and decided to set up his own shop.
    You can't get more Irish than good old-fashioned row over a pub, so we'll give him a free pass on that one.
    Although the fella painting "Irish pub" over the door and the fresh signs imploring customers to "get wasted" and advising "we do not serve women -- bring your own", as well as the roadsign to glamorous Tallanstown Mount (it's in Louth), might perhaps make you change your mind on that one.
    Not that Ruaidhri Cullen (26) and John Doocey (26), from Sligo and Mayo originally but living in Leeds, and their drinking partner John Brennan (65) from Dublin, cared too much.
    Impressed by the friendliness of locals, they've figured out the key to the heart of Poznan's populace. "Just tell them you hate the English, the Germans and the Russians, and you'll be grand," said John Doocey."

As much as i try not to get affected by cultural cringe... it's hard not to in this case!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

When was it ever '....Ireland, Ireland'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Meh ... who cares really?

When we joined the old EEC :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Easier lyrics for the mongs to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Remixes are so last tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

• Advertisement

Meh ... who cares really?

C'mon no other single song in the history of the world has made a show of us as much as the 'Ole' song, it's part of our folklore :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I knew a Father Ollie Chant once,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Why the Irish chant in Spanish is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I always knew it as follows:

first line: Ole, ole, ole, ole, oooo-le, oooo-le
    second line: Ole, ole, ole, ole, Ire-land, Ire-land

I'm sure this is a fair compromise on this no doubt highly divisive issue.

We will sneak a win againest Crotia (over rated team IMO who finished behind Greece in their group and failed to qualify for last WC) and then who knows againest an Italian team deviod of any trust worthy strikers.

Two 1 nils victorys to put us through. ;)

I had a quick glance through their qualifying stats and it looked like Kranjcar was their top scorer, am I mistaken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think we'll sneak out of the group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Glad to see ye are talking about the team here guys,the lads on the thread in the soccer forum are too busy talking about John Terry

I reckon we could nick a win on Sunday,as we have seen with Trap it wont be pretty so I expect a few bandwagon lads in the pub on Sunday giving out stink about how we play and be asking how come Ray Houghton isnt playing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Italian team deviod of any trust worthy strikers.

Careful now, or Toto Di Natale will hear you and score 4 against us. ;) Seriously underrated player, just unsure how capable of playing multiple games he is.

Super-Rush wrote: »

Yeah me too, a lot of people I've been talking to fancy our chances of making it out. Our group is tough but we could have ended up where Denmark are!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It won't be pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What an absolute tool. His wife and kids don't know where he is for 4 days and admits his Visa card is paying for the whole trip, so he clearly hasn't the cash to pay for it himself.

It won't be pretty.

It will make Jack Charlton look like Guardiola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

dmcronin wrote: »
    Why the Irish chant in Spanish is beyond me.
    It's not, it's in Irish. Ól being the Irish word for drink.*

*I may have made that up.

Ole ole ole ole threads merged, threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Crotia (over rated team IMO who finished behind Greece in their group and failed to qualify for last WC)

Could you not say the same about us? And we had to play Estonia in the play-offs while they had to play Turkey?

I'm speaking as someone who knows nearly zero about football, so I fully expect to be missing something huge in my analysis here. I do feel more comfortable talking about football in this thread as briefly skimming through the soccer forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Aidan_a

Could you not say the same about us? And we had to play Estonia in the play-offs while they had to play Turkey?

I'm speaking as someone who knows nearly zero about football, so I fully expect to be missing something huge in my analysis here. I do feel more comfortable talking about football in this thread as briefly skimming through the soccer forum.

Well you couldn't say Ireland are overrated, Ireland are in my opinion the most underrated team in the tournament, that suits us though- no pressure or expectation. Anyone who isn't Irish expects us to get knocked out at the group stage, getting to the quarters will be a huge success if we manage it though. imo Croatia are a better team than us but they know it and think they have a win guranteed vs us. Not the case we drawed with them last year. We can definitely grab a draw if we play well. And sure no reason why we can't beat italy they're not amazing at the moment either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

To catch the plane home? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

I reckon a draw with Croatia and we'll beat italy. Hopefully would be enough to see us out of the group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I reckon a draw with Croatia and we'll beat italy. Hopefully would be enough to see us out of the group
    Long ball hoofed into their box and off the bounce ,booted over keepers head and into the net .... away we go .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ireland are favorites.. to end up with the lowest number of goals :o

I'd love to be optimistic about our chances of getting out of the group but I just can't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ireland are favorites.. to end up with the lowest number of goals :o

I'd love to be optimistic about our chances of getting out of the group but I just can't be.

Tough group, to be honest, but hey - if we can get a result against Italy, you never know...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

the soon to be divorced 49-year old –

I was only saying as such last week ...him and a few hundred others to and perhaps not just from Ireland either...selfish man .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Tough group, to be honest, but hey - if we can get a result against Italy, you never know...

The Italian game could be immaterial though if we don't get anything out of Croatia and Spain beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Italian game could be immaterial though if we don't get anything out of Croatia and Spain beforehand.

...about the only thing we'll get from the Spanish game is an arse like a Japanese flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Oh dear! there's an awful lot of optimism around. I'm terrified a technically gifted side like Croatia will do what Russia did to us in the two games in the qualifying group - tear us to shreds. Our midfield is very mediocre :(
    A long night for Given and Dunney on Sunday I fear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement