Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Croats ,Italians and Spanish will have watched the Hungary V Ireland game last week and if they get some of those squandered chances then it's game over so a lot is going to rest on the first game and with everybody giving 100% ,I think we can pull off a draw at least .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Oh dear! there's an awful lot of optimism around. I'm terrified a technically gifted side like Croatia will do what Russia did to us in the two games in the qualifying group - tear us to shreds. Our midfield is very mediocre :(
    A long night for Given and Dunney on Sunday I fear.

Croatia are nowhere near as good as Russia. An ageing side much like our own, but with perhaps a slight edge in quality. I think we can beat them , they are favourites, marginally, but we have got into a pretty good habit of not being beaten which will stand to us.

The difficulty with the croatians will be that they will not underestimate us as the spanish and italians will. Both teams know this game will be the key to progression.

2-1 Ireland, Robbie Keane and Johnathon Walters with a late winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Italian game could be immaterial though if we don't get anything out of Croatia and Spain beforehand.

Nah, we'll have two draws by then!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Nah, we'll have two draws by then!

Fingers crossed anyway. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

My prediction - If Ireland win Euro 2012, the world will indeed end this December.
    If Ireland lose, meh, we'll be grand.

Netherlands for me anyway, if they can bond together without any bickering, they'll win.

• Advertisement

oxo_ wrote: »
    Netherlands for me anyway, if they can bond together without any bickering, they'll win.
    Lost any respect I had for them when they kicked their way through the match with Spain in the WC finals ....bad losers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Latchy wrote: »
    Lost any respect I had for them when they kicked their way through the match with Spain in the WC finals ....bad losers

If Ireland do well, we won't even think about Mick Wallace.
    Unless we meet him at the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Latchy wrote: »

They weren't bad losers. They were just the tactics they used all the way through the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Put a score on the Dutch @ 13/2 today.

Bloody soccer betting sheets in Paddy Powers must be keeping Specsavers in customers!

Pal wrote: »
    If Ireland do well, we won't even think about Mick Wallace.
    Unless we meet him at the next round.
    I heard he's off over to the finals ...just to take the stress worry off his shoulders for a bit ( not sure if he has property in Hollond ?)
    Lumbo wrote: »
    They weren't bad losers. They were just the tactics they used all the way through the tournament.
    For sure ...they didn't go out in blaze of glory with the football they played either .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Ffs, if you don't like football why do you feel the need to give your opinion about it in a football thread.

Not to anyone in particular, just for all the whingers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Anybody know why we are known as Ireland in the competition but it says Eire on the official match pennants?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I know we are massive underdogs but its a tough group for all four teams,It could turn out that the group could be like the Italia 90 group we were in,all draws and one win which England got over Egypt,id love to see our lads put in one performance like they did in Paris or the away game to Italy in the last World Cup qualifiers,but I dont think it will happen though unless we really need to chase the game.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Anybody know why we are known as Ireland in the competition but it says Eire on the official match pennants?

RTE explained it well in their documentary 'Green is the Colour'.

We are 'Republic of Ireland'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

RTE explained it well in their documentary 'Green is the Colour'.

We are 'Republic of Ireland'
    Then why do the offical match pennants to be handed to the opposing captain at the start of each group game say Eire?

sorry. No idea.
    The name of this country (in our constitution) is "Eire or in the English language,Ireland."
    The name of our national football team is Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Joxer goes to Stutgard Poznan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The name of our national football team is Republic of Ireland.
    actually it's REPUBELLICK of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Turn on SSN lads,Hayley McQueen doing the Euro report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

SocSocPol wrote: »

Are we not known as Republic of Ireland in the competition? I would guess the 'Eire' thing is something the FAI have done themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

headin to poznan in the morning.

everyone stop bickering and moaning about stupid ****e and get behind YOUR COUNTRY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

df1985 wrote: »
    headin to poznan in the morning.

everyone stop bickering and moaning about stupid ****e and get behind YOUR COUNTRY.
    ill be behind them all right behind the bar that is milling pints in to me:D:):)
    cant wait for this.going to buy a big f1uck off ire flag tomorrow to hang out the window to show my polish and god knows where the other side of me are from neighbours how we support or team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If people feel embarrassed about our fans singing few songs then maybe spare second for Polish people who might feel the same about their own fans.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0608/324048-racism-rears-its-ugly-head-at-euros/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How much is a pint of that fine Polish beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What about tonight's opening games, the first one doesn't really get the pulse going tbh but I reckon a Poland win and a draw between the Russians and the Czechs!

And looking forward to Apres Match after it :D

Turn on SSN lads,Hayley McQueen doing the Euro report

She is the finest molly that ever appeared on TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

Ireland 2-1 Croatia

Ireland 1-1 Spain

Ireland 3-2 Italy

Ireland 2-1 England

as far as we go

up the alamo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kfallon wrote: »
    What about tonight's opening games, the first one doesn't really get the pulse going tbh but I reckon a Poland win and a draw between the Russians and the Czechs!

And looking forward to Apres Match after it :D

Fancy Poland too, but I think Russia will win the second game. Cant wait.

beco2010 wrote: »
    Ireland 2-1 Croatia

Ireland 1-1 Spain

Ireland 3-2 Italy

Ireland 2-1 England

as far as we go

up the alamo

I like your optimisim but a free scoring Ireland :eek: You must know something we don't!
    Fancy Poland too, but I think Russia will win the second game. Cant wait.

If Poland can't win tonight they may as well go home.....oh, wait, they are home already :o :pac:

I think a Cech inspired Czechs might get a point off the Russians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ireland 2-1 Croatia

Ireland 1-1 Spain

Ireland 3-2 Italy

Ireland 2-1 England

as far as we go

up the alamo

Would we get knocked out after beating the English?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Would we get knocked out after beating the English?

No we just go home happy :D Nothing more we need to achieve so we forfeit and pack our bags :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ireland 2-1 Croatia

Ireland 1-1 Spain

Ireland 3-2 Italy

Ireland 2-1 England

as far as we go

up the alamo

I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anyways... the football side of things.

My bets.. Only two.

Germany outright: 3/1 (Paddy Power)

Lewandowski top goalscorer: 20/1 (Paddy Power though might have shortened since then)

Was tempted to go for Huntelaar as top goalscorer but I'm not sure if he'll start or not for Holland. In the warm up games Van Persie has been the lone striker. They could easily change formation and go with two strikers but it's hard to know.

Spain to win, Gomez top scorer double, it's foolproof!!:D

Just seen on PP's Aertel page that if your 4 Fold on all group winners is let down by one leg/team then Power's will refund your bet....think it's only to phone customers tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Ireland 2-1 Croatia

Ireland 1-1 Spain

Ireland 3-2 Italy

Ireland 2-1 England

as far as we go

up the alamo

That's a lot of goals...!!:pac: Might be a bit optimistic!

I'd say we'll be lucky to get a draw out of Croatia, think they're better than people give them credit for, although missing Olic will be a help for us! Let's just hope Jelavic doesn't bring his Everton form and Modric does bring his Spurs form of late!!:D

Loss against Spain, depending on the mood they're in it could be anywhere between 1 and 3-0. If they get an early goal it's curtains. If still level at half time, could be a chance of a draw but still would back Spain to not be held for 90 mins!

If we head into the Italy game with still a chance of qualifying I'd be happy and think we could take them, 2-1, Balotelli sent off!! :rolleyes:

Sorry if this is too much analysis for After Hours!!:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sooo excited now. I think we will be doing amazingly well to get out of the group but if we were to be Croatia its looking good. Then you never know.

Can you imagine playing England.for the first time since 95!!

Mc Eddy will be the star for Ireland I reckon.

Ill go for draw, draw, win :)

Shame so.my.people have become anti football though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sooo excited now. I think we will be doing amazingly well to get out of the group but if we were to be Croatia its looking good. Then you never know.

Ireland will be underdogs in every game so we shouldn't be expecting too much. Just hope they play well as they always have in big competitions.

We won't be playing them, at best we can both hope to come second in our respective groups imo!

Anyone know if Apres Match is on after both games today or just the one tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Looking forward to it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Getting very excited now.

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!!

• Advertisement

As well as our own, I'm looking forward to these during the Championships:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

55 hours to go and I'm already getting nervous. I wish we were playing Italy or Spain in the opener. We're crap against east Europeans, we even made a s*** team like Slovakia look good when we were lucky to get a 0-0 in Dublin.
    Funny ol' game innit? ( 'arry Rednapp accent) when I am more afraid of Croatia then the current World and Euro champions.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Whats with the Celtic jerseys? We are Ireland, not Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The following results would see Ireland qualify without scoring any goals:

Spain 2-0 Italy
    Ireland 0-0 Croatia
    Croatia 1-1 Italy
    Ireland 0-0 Spain
    Spain 2-0 Croatia
    Ireland 0-0 Italy

Ireland 0-0 France (Ireland win 4-3 on pens)
    Ireland 0-0 Netherlands (Ireland win 4-1 on pens)

Ireland 0-5 Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

55 hours to go and I'm already getting nervous. I wish we were playing Italy or Spain in the opener. We're crap against east Europeans, we even made a s*** team like Slovakia look good when we were lucky to get a 0-0 in Dublin.
    Funny ol' game innit? ( 'arry Rednapp accent) when I am more afraid of Croatia then the current World and Euro champions.

I always fancy our chances of getting a result against a power house, we raise our game and revel in our underdog status. Its when we play a team in or around our own level that we tend to struggle at times.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I always fancy our chances of getting a result against a power house, we raise our game and revel in our underdog status. Its when we play a team in or around our own level that we tend to struggle at times.
    Very true. It's the likes of the Swiss and Denmark that we'd struggle against the most IMO.

Will be on my way to Poland this time tomorrow, can't wait! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

kfallon wrote: »
    I like your optimisim but a free scoring Ireland :eek: You must know something we don't!

If Poland can't win tonight they may as well go home.....oh, wait, they are home already :o :pac:

I think a Cech inspired Czechs might get a point off the Russians

Russians have so many players of capable of scoring it will be hard for the Czechs to keep them out.
    I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking :P

Me too, England to make it out of the group lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

My euro excitement is building. Finished work early for the first game which should be pretty awful stuff then flying to Poznan on Sunday. 55 flights leaving Dublin Sunday morning for Poland! That's a lot of Irish fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

My euro excitement is building. Finished work early for the first game which should be pretty awful stuff then flying to Poznan on Sunday. 55 flights leaving Dublin Sunday morning for Poland! That's a lot of Irish fans.
    20,000 Irish heading over in the next few day apparently :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement