Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The *ONLY* After Hours thread about the European Championships.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

adamski8 wrote: »
    nice one, ill be in the crowd there next week ir a few nights. i cant iagine 100,000 there though! i kniw th say that it can hold that but it seems like too many

Will you be wearing I survived the portal t-shirt in case I run into you?

Can't wait for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Starting to get the jitters now. I had a nightmare last night that Croatia beat us 5 nil and at the end of the game Robbie Keane physically attacked Trap in the dressing room and was sent home. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Damn! Germany-Portugal, Brazil-Argentina and the Diamond League from NY are all on at the same time tonight!

Which to watch?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Damn! Germany-Portugal, Brazil-Argentina and the Diamond League from NY are all on at the same time tonight!

Which to watch?

Whats the Diamond League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pherekydes wrote: »

Which to watch?

Well, the importnat bit of the Dimaond League is essentially only 10 seconds, so that should make it easier!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Well, the importnat bit of the Dimaond League is essentially only 10 seconds, so that should make it easier!

There's more than the 100m. The important bits of Cristiano Ronaldo will probably earn a 9.85, with a 3.4 degree of difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Whats the Diamond League?
    Athletics, that's where they earn money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Russian fans attacking Polish Stewards.

Hope they stamp down hard on this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Russian fans attacking Polish Stewards.

Hope they stamp down hard on this crap.
    Holy **** why did they attack the stewards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Starting to get the jitters now. I had a nightmare last night that Croatia beat us 5 nil and at the end of the game Robbie Keane physically attacked Trap in the dressing room and was sent home. :eek:

just might happen

5-0 that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Ah don't worry, I dreamt last night Ireland were 3-0 up against England with 10 mins to go in the quarter final. I woke up so didnt see the end of the match. Robbie Keane scored two of the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

I see our plucky Viking Chums in Denmark have overcome the descendants of King Billy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tonight's game will be a good one I'd say. I've a tenner on Portugal to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I see our plucky Viking Chums in Denmark have overcome the descendants of King Billy.

Going to be tough for the Dutch to get out of their group now. Really need a win against Germany in their next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

The England team visited an orphanage in Poland today. "It's heart breaking to see their sad little faces with no hope.....said Igor,aged 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Going to be tough for the Dutch to get out of their group now. Really need a win against Germany in their next game.

If Germany and Portugal draw the group will really be up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

The England team visited an orphanage in Poland today. "It's heart breaking to see their sad little faces with no hope.....said Igor,aged 6
    Stop slagging england:-):-):-):-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah don't worry, I dreamt last night Ireland were 3-0 up against England with 10 mins to go in the quarter final. I woke up so didnt see the end of the match. Robbie Keane scored two of the goals.

I had the same dream. England eventually won 5--3.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

mackg wrote: »
    If Germany and Portugal draw the group will really be up in the air.

The Danes will be up for their game against Germany - to them, it's comparable to Ireland v England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

if it stays as is Denmark top the group - wonder what odds you would have gotten for that before kick off today ?

also , why were the fans at the germany/portugal game getting warnings about their behavior ? have i missed something ?

dj jarvis wrote: »
    also , why were the fans at the germany/portugal game getting warnings about their behavior ? have i missed something ?

Some spectators were throwing missiles in Nani's direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Some spectators were throwing missiles in Nani's direction.

Not condoning it but it seemed to be just small paper balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Second half here looks like it could be lively enough. First half, apart from that shot that hit the post, was dire.

Yeah that's what it looked like to me too. UEFA are cacking themselves about anything that could be deemed as racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Panel suggested in could be rasism as they were thrown at Nani. UEFA did warn before the tournament that rasism or any abuse would not be tolerated.

• Advertisement

Feckin Germans.. 1-0 :mad:

Feckin Germans.. 1-0 :mad:

Actually quite happy to see Ze Germans winning on this occasion, shame Holland couldn't have done the same earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Not a great match, for all the chances Germany had they should have won by three or four, and then in the last few minutes Portugal made a few great chances to draw level, pity they didn't I thought.

The Danes will be up for their game against Germany - to them, it's comparable to Ireland v England.

Same goes for Holland! Just not so much a perceived gulf in class.

Denmark to repeat the heroics of 1992, put your house on it!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I had the same dream. England eventually won 5--3.
    S***e, I recorded your dream to watch later and was trying to avoid hearing the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yeah that's what it looked like to me too. UEFA are cacking themselves about anything that could be deemed as racism.

The paper was white too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

What is up with our media and their obsession with trying to relive Euro88 and Italia90? There seems to be a search on to find the maddest fans going to this one as if it is gold at the end of a rainbow: first one to interview a group of 17 lads from Finglas who are all travelling across Europe in a converted icecream van, living on Taytos, have no tickets for the games but are going anyway 'for the crack' and 'to support the lads', have only money left to last them about another 10 minutes, and who took a wrong turn yesterday and ended up in Bulgaria.

And please, no more tales from former players, media folk, or the plain people of Ireland on the 'hilarious' escapades they got up to twenty something years ago.

Can we not just focus on the football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Why people are so crazy about football that it deserves its own sticky is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Almaviva wrote: »
    What is up with our media and their obsession with trying to relive Euro88 and Italia90? There seems to be a search on to find the maddest fans going to this one as if it is gold at the end of a rainbow: first one to interview a group of 17 lads from Finglas who are all travelling across Europe in a converted icecream van, living on Taytos, have no tickets for the games but are going anyway 'for the crack' and 'to support the lads', have only money left to last them about another 10 minutes, and who took a wrong turn yesterday and ended up in Bulgaria.

And please, no more tales from former players, media folk, or the plain people of Ireland on the 'hilarious' escapades they got up to twenty something years ago.

Can we not just focus on the football?

your post just proves your just not getting the " other " side to support of the irish team
    on one side , and the vast minority, you have people who actually understand the game , team selection and position ect
    and on the other side, is the vast majority who know when the ball goes in the net , the party gets started

what the hell is wrong with the latter ? not your cup of tea granted but , as the FAI have admitted the support from 88 and 90 saved the game in Ireland , and the majority of support was the party side , so ergo, that side of the Irish support actually saved the game

this is the AH euro thread , dont like the riff raff ? i suggest you hot tail it to a association football thread

leave the rest of the people who just want to have a bit of craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Almaviva wrote: »
    What is up with our media and their obsession with trying to relive Euro88 and Italia90?

Two words.. Ole, Ole.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

Anyone else crapping it for tomorrows croatia game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No - low expectations.

Now Cork v Kerry is another matter though!!!!

EDIT - Technically it's today...NOT Tomorrow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No, sure we're going to get hammered anyway. We won't score a single goal in this tournament and will be home as quick as possible.

No, but I am slightly anxious about tomorrows England v France match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

No, sure we're going to get hammered anyway. We won't score a single goal in this tournament and will be home as quick as possible.

I'm sure you were quick to write of Chelsea in such a way in the champions league

http://www.football365.com/news/25563/7799177/Preview365

I suppose for every article like this there are ten explaining how they are going to do us but I'm still very optimistic about today's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Croatia are a decent team, but there's no reason why Ireland can't get a result.

As Trap says, it's all about "De Believe".

I love Trap - Ireland's football since he took over has been hard to watch for the best part, but in fairness, we don't have anything near the quality of players that Jack Charlton had.

So to get us to a major tournament is testament to the fact that he is a superb manager. And an optimist & a gentleman.

We really couldn't ask for more.... Come on you boys in green!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Was watching the Portugal v Germany game this evening and seeing how content the Portugese were to sit back ,close the Germans out and settle for the draw while trying to hit them on the attack ......until Germany got that fab goal and then we saw a different Portugal in attack mode ,looking to get the goal back and nearly did with several attempts ,which makes one wonder what they didn't play like that before Germany scored .

Now Ireland may play similar style tomorrow against Croatia because lets face it ,going all out in attack mode doesn't always bode well for our defense so lets hope Trappatoni has a plan B for the 1 or 2 goal down scenario .

I predict a 0-0 or 1-1 result with possiblity of either side getting a penalty .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm sure you were quick to write of Chelsea in such a way in the champions league

TBH, I don't give two hoots about any sport at all. I could not name any player on the Irish team bar Robbie Keane.

Latchy wrote: »
    Was watching the Portugal v Germany game this evening and seeing how content the Portugese were to sit back ,close the Germans out and settle for the draw while trying to hit them on the attack ......until Germany got that fab goal and then we saw a different Portugal in attack mode ,looking to get the goal back and nearly did with several attempts ,which makes one wonder what they didn't play like that before Germany scored .

Now Ireland may play similar style tomorrow against Croatia because lets face it ,going all out in attack mode doesn't always bode well for our defense so lets hope Trappatoni has a plan B for the 1 or 2 goal down scenario .

I predict a 0-0 or 1-1 result with possiblity of either side getting a penalty .

I reckon with their front 3 being what it is Portugal reckoned that playing on the break was their best bet to win from the start. In a more open game I wouldn't have fancied Veloso, Moutinho and Meireles against Schweinsteiger, Ozil and Khedeira. Saying that we'll never know though.

Holland v Portugal should be a cracker now though provided there is still something to play for. Hopefully it won't be a repeat of the hackfest we saw in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

mackg wrote: »
    I reckon with their front 3 being what it is Portugal reckoned that playing on the break was their best bet to win from the start. In a more open game I wouldn't have fancied Veloso, Moutinho and Meireles against Schweinsteiger, Ozil and Khedeira. Saying that we'll never know though.

Holland v Portugal should be a cracker now though provided there is still something to play for. Hopefully it won't be a repeat of the hackfest we saw in 2006.
    Yes and it worked for Portugal for most of the game with Ronaldo and his mate playing well up front and as the game went on ,you also felt that one of those German cross's would fall just right which it did .
    pavb2 wrote: »
    Perfect

(adopts Peter Lorre accent) '' you're hurting my arm eyes '' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

TBH, I don't give two hoots about any sport at all. I could not name any player on the Irish team bar Robbie Keane.

If you have no clue about football and have no interest why comment on this thread?

Could you just not resist posting some negativity :rolleyes:

Come on the boys in green. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I was supposed to be going to Poznan from Vienna last night, been floored with a virus though :-(
    Absolutely gutted, was 50 of us going combining a stag into the mix.

I fancy us to get a draw against the Croats, especially if the supporters get really behind the team.

Go on ye good tings ye ! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement