Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Touch bugs

Options
  • 30-05-2012 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know what can be done about them and I obviously can't take screen grabs because you need to be looking at it but anyway.

1: when a page starts to load and you start scrolling it'a ll ok but when it finishes loading it jumps back to the top again, meaning you have to scroll again and the odd time you go to click into a thread and it will jump so you hit the wrong thread.

2: If you go to reply to a thread and the page isn't fully loaded when you start typing your reply, once loaded it will close the keyboard and then when you click into it again it just closes automatically constantly. So you have to click out, reload the page again and hit reply again, then wait for it to all load again.

I don't think it could be just me who's encountered this as it happens a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

smash wrote: »
    I don't know what can be done about them and I obviously can't take screen grabs because you need to be looking at it but anyway.

1: when a page starts to load and you start scrolling it'a ll ok but when it finishes loading it jumps back to the top again, meaning you have to scroll again and the odd time you go to click into a thread and it will jump so you hit the wrong thread.

This may be a bug with touch
    2: If you go to reply to a thread and the page isn't fully loaded when you start typing your reply, once loaded it will close the keyboard and then when you click into it again it just closes automatically constantly. So you have to click out, reload the page again and hit reply again, then wait for it to all load again.

This is a problem with your browser/phone. We don't control the keyboard on your phone's OS, the touch site isn't a phone application :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's the only site I have the issue with a textarea and the keyboard hiding once you click to type without the page being fully loaded. Any chance it's to do with the $('#message').focus(); on the $(document).ready function? Maybe it's getting confused because you're already in there?

1 more, when a thread is closed there's still a reply button at the bottom of the screen which allows you to type a full reply and press submit. After submit you're told the thread is closed but I guess the button shouldn't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

this used annoy the hell out of me before, but i guess im just used to it now. it's more noticeable over 3G as it's slower to load pages than wi-fi, but nowadays i just wait until the progress level in the address bar (opera mobile) turns from blue back to white before i try and press anything on-screen again. tbh im probably more tolerant of it as i remember what even simple HTML sites were like back in the 56k days, and then PHP came along- go make a cup of tea while the page loads! :D

sounds like you're trying to input too fast before the browser has time to "catch up", so therefore it closes the keyboard each time it does a refresh on the page, my native nokia browser makes four passes (yup, i counted!) in the progress bar before it's finished loading the page so maybe it's a thing where the phone you have, in order for it to run smoothly, prevents any further input until the page is finished loading, kind of like the way my nokia X6 gives me an "out of memory" error when it has to load any media heavy threads such as YLYL or any thread with youtube videos embedded.

i always know there's a youtube video in a thread further down when the page takes an absolute AGE to load. i dont even bother attempting to play them any more either tbh.

xsiborg wrote: »
    sounds like you're trying to input too fast before the browser has time to "catch up", so therefore it closes the keyboard each time it does a refresh on the page, my native nokia browser makes four passes (yup, i counted!) in the progress bar before it's finished loading the page so maybe it's a thing where the phone you have, in order for it to run smoothly, prevents any further input until the page is finished loading

The problem is that even when it is finished loading, it wont let me type because the bug has already set in like a loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

When an input is focused on a phone the browser should show the keyboard, not hide it. Again, this is browser controlled. What's your phone & OS?

The first issue is something we can fix in the general "show me a thread" send. If you wish to view the last post in the thread by clicking on the time (e.g. "just now" or "< 1 min ago") then scrolling before the page loads will jump the page. It is how fragments work I'm afraid.

Touch is by no means a finished product, there will be optimisations made in the future.

• Advertisement

When an input is focused on a phone the browser should show the keyboard, not hide it. Again, this is browser controlled. What's your phone & OS?

iPhone 4. latest iOS. And the focus doesn't work on load anyway, this is why I thought it might be part of the problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement