Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need anti static wrist strap ??

Options
  • 30-05-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    All the parts for
    My build have arrived and Id like to get started but I don't have an anti static wrist strap , should I wait and get one or is it really that important ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

No you don't need one so long as you're careful. Don't put components down in stupid places or do anything that would create static. Handle components carefully - don't go touching CPU or card contacts. Touch the metal on your PSU or case every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Touch something metal that is earthed like a radiator and you'll be fine. if you walk away or leave for a few minutes repeat procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It's up to you they don't cost much but, for me the wrist strap just gets in the way and is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Build it in a room with a tiled or wooden floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Sholden

Just touch the case or a metal object to remove any static before handeling any parts and you'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hi guys
    All the parts for
    My build have arrived and Id like to get started but I don't have an anti static wrist strap , should I wait and get one or is it really that important ??

Well I just completed my first ever build, and did not use a wrist strap. I was very careful while handling everything, and made sure to discharge myself on the case often. As long as you do something similar, you should be fine.

Hope your build goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

If you wear a pair Croc's around the house, don't!

They build up fierce static.

Jerseys and Polyester t-shirts should be avoided also,
    and taking off socks and shoes is a good idea too.

If you want to be hardcore get naked, but I wouldn't advise that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Personally i just use anti static gloves that i paid a few quid for in pc world . You can get them on memoryc for €2.50 .

http://www.memoryc.com/pccomponents/accessories/antistaticprotectiveglovespair.html

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

waveform wrote: »
    If you wear a pair Croc's around the house, don't!

They build up fierce static.

Jerseys and Polyester t-shirts should be avoided also,
    and taking off socks and shoes is a good idea too.

If you want to be hardcore get naked, but I wouldn't advise that! ;)

Ha! Now that you mention it. I also removed my socks during installation... lol

Advertisement