Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc in Computer Science

• 30-05-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im just finished a Single Honours Arts Course in which I did 50 Credits on Economics and 10 of Computer Science.
    I dont wish to have anything to do with economics unfortunately and IT is where I want to go. Ill end up getting a 3h overall with a 2.2 in the computer science respectively. I wish to pursue the computer science route in the form of a masters, course Msc in Computer Science. it states that applicants require at least a second class honours in a computer related undergrad course but that others with computing skills and backgrounds will be considered. what are the chances of me getting this course would you think? if my overall degree is a 3h but my computer science is a 2h2 would I be considered? i dont wish to do the hdip in applied computing technology but I will if needs be.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

You need a 2.1 in the hdip to get into the Masters. I don't know if that applies to your course as well.

I might as well warn you, if your programming ain't up to much, you should forget applying for it. My buddy dropped out of this course before with a computing degree behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

is there any hope to get straight into it do you think? i would have a pretty strong standard across the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think you could get in with a 2:2 with a different degree but to be honest you need to have got a 2:1 in your latter course or more in a Computing course as well as getting more than 50% or 60%+ grade in Object Orientated Programming (Java). As others have said you need to have your programming up to scratch or in my opinion do the HDip in order to get into the Masters.

Though don't know if you get into the Masters with a 3H, chances are you won't get in, you be more likely to get into the HDip and then progress into the Masters, I think it makes more sense and it help you brush up on your computing and get a better idea of what to expect in the Masters.

I think you might struggle with the Masters without having done the Hdip and having only got a 2:2 in your Computing part of your Arts Degree. Unless you brush up on the programming side of things in your own time like self learning or an online course then or a internship in programming would I recommend that you go for the Masters without doing the HDip.

I don't know you need to get in touch with the Co-ordinator and they give you an idea as to whether you be eligible to apply before you even apply chances are you apply and you may not get in but they probably interview you if you have a chance of being successful with the course but they may not let you in if your programming isn't up to standard i'm afraid.

Have you looked into Springboard courses or a short term course you could do to help you before considering the Masters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thank you for that reply. What other courses are the short term ones? Are they in Ucc or another institute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

These are in UCC if there are any ones you be interested in:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/ace/what/springboard/

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/ace/what/short/scsample/

Plenty of other IT's and Uni's have courses similar to above and have their own Springboard courses.

Have a look at the springboard website and college sections for the lifelong learning sections on their websites. A lot of colleges are offering them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Any reports on this course ? Is it any good ?

Advertisement