Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

homeless and signing on

• 30-05-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Im homeless at the moment and living in a tourist/ backpackers hostel week to week and have been informed I will be made redundant in 2 weeks.

Will i be able to sign on from this hostel or will I have to go into homeless accomadation with the alcoholics and junkies?

Im pretty nervous of staying in such a place

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

Sorry to hear about your upcoming redundancy.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure that you can sign on from a temporary address, but it stands to reason that if there are loads of homeless people signing on, then it must be possible.

Might I suggest that you get a social housing application form completed and submitted as soon as you can, if you haven't already? Ring your local council's housing department and request that they post one out to you, or download one from their website. You'll need a form in and processed to have a housing needs assessment available when (in due course) you're looking for rent allowance and/or private rented accommodation.

I'd also strongly suggest that you contact your local council's homeless outreach officer as soon as you can. He or she will be very interested in helping you avoid ending up in a worse situation than the one you're in now. He or she will assist you with your options, and could well be able to help speed up your housing needs assessment and things like that, hopefully.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You cannot be made redundant if you are signing on. I presume you are out of your present abode in 2 weeks. You will not be able to sign on if you don't have an address. Call to you local Citizen's Information centre to get some info on your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

i will be signing on after i lose my job obviously, i am not signing now.

It seems dumb I cant sign on from this hostel, as its tempory accomadation as the homeless shelter is "tempory" also. surely i would be taking the place of osmeone more needy, ?

i do be working most of the day so i cant call to citizen advice but i will do over the weekend

what a stupid situation to be in !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can sign on if you have proof of address from the hostel. You must be available for and actively seeking work. If for some reason the hostel won't give you a letter of residence, then you may still be able to get payment if you sign on every day at the local SWO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

when you are homeless and then end up being unemployed you need to go to your local community welfare officer, the usually sit in the morning in your local health centre, google your nearest.

they will then be able to provide a payment to you its a supplementary welfare allowance as you can not get the dole while having no living accommodation, you probably have enough credits for jsb and its stupid that you cant get that just because you are in temp accommodation

you should also go to your local council office they usually have a special request form if you are in need of emergency accommodation and its not a homeless shelter with drunks its usually a b&b until the can get you a social flat or help you with private renting and rent allowance but go down there asap

also your cwo can help you with a deposit for a private flat if you need help in getting a deposit together just make sure it is within the amounts for rent allowance in your area and that the landlord accepts rent allowance

but i do urge you to go to your cwo they are there to help and so are your social welfare office and county council so dont leave it off, get the help you need

peace and love op x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 she s

I have 20 homeless friends who have different spots, all go for help and signatures

Social Welfare Local Office, Kings Inn Street
    or
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Housing/Homeless/Pages/Ifyouarehomeless.aspx

http://www.dublincity.ie/Housing/Homeless/Pages/Whattodoifyouarehomeless.aspx

"If you have a disability or if you are an older person, we can give you a grant to adapt or modify your home. This does not have to be a council home. For example, we can help you install a chair-lift, re-roof your house or modify it to make it easier to move around."
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Housing/GrantstoAdaptYourHome/Pages/AdaptModifyHome.aspx
    for information
    Crosscare Housing and Welfare Information, 1 Cathedral Street, Dublin 1. This service can be contacted on 01 8726775 or by accessing the service directly (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 9.30am – 1.30pm, 2pm – 4.30pm and Wednesday 2pm – 4.30pm)
    I greet you
    :)

Advertisement