Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 this weekend

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Why is none of this being televised? Or is there kind of a "highlights" show on later or something?

mary kennedy on nationwide will have it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Why is none of this being televised? Or is there kind of a "highlights" show on later or something?

The Queen was on the other channels getting rained upon mightily. Far more fun than watching the exhaust pipe of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

dodzy wrote: »
    a Monaco comparison to Dublin.....eh...ok :rolleyes:

Fair enough, Monaco is very overpriced. ;)

An F1 comparison!! These things are great, remember the Tour De France came to Dublin? I strolled in with the dog and ended up chatting to the yellow jersey holder for ages! (I didn't even know he was a competitor).

Hundreds of cities hold similar events all over the world, roads are shut down and people make do.Better off embracing them instead of moaning about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

It was great day :) Crowded but still great,, I certainly enjoyed it.

There's a guy from Limerick on the motoring forum complaining that the F1 cars engines were uncomfortably loud!! :pac::pac::pac: I'm not kidding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There's a guy from Limerick on the motoring forum complaining that the F1 cars engines were uncomfortably loud!! :pac::pac::pac: I'm not kidding.

They are uncomfortably loud, I mean you couldn't sleep in comfort if it was nearby :D But it was great and feeling it gives is great.

arleitiss wrote: »
    feeling it gives is great.

+1... I have been up close and personal with an F1 car, the raw power, engineering and violence is amazing. But to go to an F1 event and complain about the noise is hilarious!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Today I was unfortunate enough to have to find myself trying to cross the city centre and I have to say it looks like the organisers gave no thought to people like me. I simply wanted to get from Grafton st to Henry st but found all the bridges between the Sean O'Casey and Ha'Penny closed, even to pedestrians. To make matters worse, the stewards did not seem to be fully briefed on what bridges were open and the locations of the pedestrian bridges across the track. The bridges that were provided were completely inadequate in size for the volume of people looking to cross them, especially considering there could have been a much larger turnout had it not been so wet.

There should have been a route across O'Connell bridge for those not attending. I can live with bus disruption and road closures for special events, however I don't like being misdirected and walking around in circles trying to cross the Liffey or even the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The bridges that were provided were completely inadequate in size for the volume of people looking to cross them

No way, I could never have predicted that would happen:pac:

Ah sure it was grand though, the corpo probably made a few bob of it anyway. Might pay for a few junkets to cities that are competently managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was in the city (went to Forbidden Fruit the previous day) and this bullsh*t F1 marketing event by a company selling píss under the name Bavaria had me trapped!
    I was trying to find a feckin cross over point and not one steward OR member of our police force were able to tell me what was going on. One female guard had the decency to be honest with me when she told me they don't have a clue what's going on.

I mean what were the foot bridges erected over the roads for if they weren't open to the public?? This was between 12 noon and 1. I finally managed to find a point to cross over and continue my journey but how can companies get permission to lock a city down without providing people with clear and accurate advice on alternate routes etc? More brown envelopes for the civvies in DCC:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Same carry on happened last year when the streets in town were closed for the visits of President Obama & Lizzie. All the taxi ranks and bus stops were moved away from O'Connell St/Parnell Sq & diverted else where. Fair enough, but ask a Guard where they had been moved to, and you all you got was a blank look or a " How should I know? I'm from Thurles " response. It made getting around a total pain in the arse.

I have no problem with closing down the streets for big events like this. I DO have a problem with the authorities making a complete dogs bollox of informing people of others ways of how they can get from A to B. And not giving event stewards and security the answers to questions that people are bound to ask.

I was in central London last year when the Wills & Kate wedding was on. At every tube station exit or major intersection where pedestrians were affected by street closures, there were stewards and cops with loud speakers telling people where to go, or how to get to wherever they were going. Many of them were on horseback so you couldn't miss them. It worked a treat. This stuff isn't rocket science. You'd think we'd be able to figure it out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

and another thing, there was some amount of cops there, I counted 6 all standing around together having a chat while none of them could give me any information and none of them didn't seem bothered by the fact that they didn't have a clue, as long as they were getting their Sunday pay that's all that mattered.
    Our taxes folks, our taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

John_Rambo wrote: »

Just like to stay that it was 60 year old Father who said it!

Just like to stay that it was 60 year old Father who said it!

60!! He's from the golden dynasty of F1!! Loud cars and womanizers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Today I was unfortunate enough to have to find myself trying to cross the city centre and I have to say it looks like the organisers gave no thought to people like me. I simply wanted to get from Grafton st to Henry st but found all the bridges between the Sean O'Casey and Ha'Penny closed, even to pedestrians. To make matters worse, the stewards did not seem to be fully briefed on what bridges were open and the locations of the pedestrian bridges across the track. The bridges that were provided were completely inadequate in size for the volume of people looking to cross them, especially considering there could have been a much larger turnout had it not been so wet.

There should have been a route across O'Connell bridge for those not attending. I can live with bus disruption and road closures for special events, however I don't like being misdirected and walking around in circles trying to cross the Liffey or even the road.

There WAS a route across O'Connell Bridge. I've used it three times meself sunday between 14h30 and 17h30.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Same carry on happened last year when the streets in town were closed for the visits of President Obama & Lizzie. All the taxi ranks and bus stops were moved away from O'Connell St/Parnell Sq & diverted else where. Fair enough, but ask a Guard where they had been moved to, and you all you got was a blank look or a " How should I know? I'm from Thurles " response. It made getting around a total pain in the arse.

I have no problem with closing down the streets for big events like this. I DO have a problem with the authorities making a complete dogs bollox of informing people of others ways of how they can get from A to B. And not giving event stewards and security the answers to questions that people are bound to ask.

I was in central London last year when the Wills & Kate wedding was on. At every tube station exit or major intersection where pedestrians were affected by street closures, there were stewards and cops with loud speakers telling people where to go, or how to get to wherever they were going. Many of them were on horseback so you couldn't miss them. It worked a treat. This stuff isn't rocket science. You'd think we'd be able to figure it out by now.

Thats so true. I remember being stuck at Merchant's Quay for 45 minuties after getting off the bus at Cook Street. The Queen was at Trinity college at that time and she was expected to be passing through 'soon'. The cops didn't seem to know how soon it would be until she passed or until the bridges would reopen. I could either walk to Hueston Station or go down to the Custom House Quay and cross there.
    It was the lack of information that bugged me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Rhand wrote: »
    There WAS a route across O'Connell Bridge. I've used it three times meself sunday between 14h30 and 17h30.

I was told by no less than three stewards that O'Connell bridge was closed to those that weren't attending the event and that the only way a pedestrian could get from the south quays to the north quays was via the Sean O'Casey or Ha'Penny Bridges. If it was open as you say it was, it just highlights the lack of briefing given to the stewards.

Advertisement