Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dry/bare patches on kitty's elbows?

• 30-05-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

[first time kitty mother alert! :o]

just now noticed some bare patches on the back of the cat's front elbows, also on the boniest part of his front shoulder blades. not bare as in bald, but bare as in i can see his skin through the bit of hair that is there. he won't let me hold him long enough to get a good root around, but i can see some tiny light coloured patches, like i would have dry skin or exzema. is that what it is?

he is biting and grooming a lot more than usual today but the only thing different in the last few days has been the presence of a foster dog who's gone back this morning. i kept them well seperated in different areas of the house and doted on him so he'd feel secure but he did feel the presence iykwim. could it just be stress or something else? he's been treated with drontal and advocate recently and not due another round for a good while.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If there are a number of patches, could be ringworm? The vet can diagnose using a woods lamp. Better get it checked, just because you probably shouldn't foster with a ringy animal in the house.

There's lots of ringworm related threads on this forum with info. (just in case, it's a fungus, not a worm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

eek, ok, yeah, there's a few of them, different sizes. will bring him to the vet tomorrow then. the foster dog went home today and to be honest i can't see us being able to do that again - this just isn't a dog-cat.

i've had my hands full with him this evening - he's been hyper. and when i say hyper i don't mean his usual chase-after-the-ball playfullness or the 4am zoomies. i mean HYPER. tromping the whole length of the house and up and down the stairs and jumping off tables and shelves at us and hiding round corners waiting to attack our legs when we pass. really angry hyper. hope he calms down by the morning or getting him into the carrier will be a right laugh. i'm a bit scared of him like this tbh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

vet reckons it's just stress and to monitor it over the next few days. feel like a bit of a worry-wort but at least it's put my mind at rest.

i've eradicated the doggie smell from the house and am going to try and find some feliway spray tomorrow. hopefully that will calm him. this agressiveness is wearing me out :o

Advertisement