Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20 year friendship over and not 1 regret

• 30-05-2012 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

As the title says I was best mates with a lad for close on 20 years, known each other since 1st year In secondary school and a while back I got so pissed off with him, I told him to shove his friendship up his arse. He was always a self centered man, his way or no way type of person regarding drinking sessions, weekends away, that sort of thing. While he was great craic, very witty and loved pulling the birds, he seemed to turn in to a proper arsehole over the past number of years. Now don’t get me wrong, I was no shrinking violet myself but he got engaged to a lass, married her and bedded this cheap oul tart a few months before his wedding, in their own house.
    Like, you’ve got to grow up at some stage in your life ffs, we not kids any more and all have responsibilities (kids, mortgages etc).Now I’ve drank more than my fair share in my time, rode more than my fair share of women, had the craic but to me sexing a tart months before his own wedding in their bed was bang out of order and told him so. We fell out over this but I wasn’t worried as we had many fall out over the years. Which was all well and fine till I got an invite to the evening part of his wedding some time after.
    To say I was astounded would be an understatement. An evening invite to a wedding that I was fully expecting to be best man at was the final insult. His dad died a few years back and I, being the best friend took a month off work at my own expense to prick around the pubs and clubs of Ireland to help him through a very difficult time of his life, his short memory sickened me no end. Needless to say I never did go to the wedding, hear he is knocking off a bird around town so some things never change I guess. 2 years on from when I told him to **** himself and I don’t regret a day of it, only wish I did it earlier, begs the question: have you ever been pissed off that much with your friends that you told them to do 1? Often days go by when I remember the good times but I'll never forgive being insulted, To me, life is too short to be dealing with a prick :D

Just thought I'd offer that bit of useless information on a Wednesday afternoon while waiting till 5 a clock comes ;) Lets hear your stories..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

lyk dis if u cryd.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

I used to be a friend like you, then I took an arrow in the knee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Casillas wrote: »
    I used to be a friend like you, then I took an arrow in the knee...

About as retro as Tebowing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no, my friends are good people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

chin_grin wrote: »
    About as retro as Tebowing! :pac:

Hah! Had to look that one up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Large text and pointless posts aren't normal.

But on AH they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ffs will you go do one with your lack of use of the return key

grrrr my eyes hurt now!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

By any chance did you fall out over the correct use of paragraphs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

have paragraphs gone up in price lately?

anyways this thread belongs in the relationships forum not AH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My head hurts after trying to read that. I gave up after "title". What's it about? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

theteal wrote: »

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Someones still upset he wasnt best man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

have paragraphs gone up in price lately?

SELL! SELL!! SELL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

tipptopper wrote: »
    As the title says I was best mates with a lad for close on 20 years, known each other since 1st year In secondary school and a while back I got so pissed off with him, I told him to shove his friendship up his arse. He was always a self centered man, his way or no way type of person regarding drinking sessions, weekends away, that sort of thing. While he was great craic, very witty and loved pulling the birds, he seemed to turn in to a proper arsehole over the past number of years. Now don’t get me wrong, I was no shrinking violet myself but he got engaged to a lass, married her and bedded this cheap oul tart a few months before his wedding, in their own house. Like, you’ve got to grow up at some stage in your life ffs, we not kids any more and all have responsibilities (kids, mortgages etc).Now I’ve drank more than my fair share in my time, rode more than my fair share of women, had the craic but to me sexing a tart months before his own wedding in their bed was bang out of order and told him so. We fell out over this but I wasn’t worried as we had many fall out over the years. Which was all well and fine till I got an invite to the evening part of his wedding some time after. To say I was astounded would be an understatement. An evening invite to a wedding that I was fully expecting to be best man at was the final insult. His dad died a few years back and I, being the best friend took a month off work at my own expense to prick around the pubs and clubs of Ireland to help him through a very difficult time of his life, his short memory sickened me no end. Needless to say I never did go to the wedding, hear he is knocking off a bird around town so some things never change I guess. 2 years on from when I told him to **** himself and I don’t regret a day of it, only wish I did it earlier, begs the question: have you ever been pissed off that much with your friends that you told them to do 1? Often days go by when I remember the good times but I'll never forgive being insulted, To me, life is too short to be dealing with a prick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The text is readable now so I got as far as "best" before giving up this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

where is that boardsie who does the editing of stupid posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Get over it and shag his wife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

His dad died a few years back and I, being the best friend took a month off work at my own expense to prick around the pubs and clubs of Ireland to help him through a very difficult time of his life, his short memory sickened me no end.

Your MATES father dies and you take a MONTH off work to go drinking??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

any excuse for a piss up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Wanted: 1 x Man Card for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

In other news, there's a bird pecking at a food ball I've hung outside my window. I think it's a Great Tit.:):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What are these friends you speak of?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

"Sexing" is a word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

AnamGlas wrote: »
    "Sexing" is a word?
    kissing
    sexing
    casio
    poke
    you
    me
    i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

My biggest regret in life is reading this thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

A mate of mine threw a wobbler and stopped talking to me and another mate over a facebook joke.

Me and my mate set up a page called "The [insert persons name] effect". Basically the plan was to send this to all of our friends and request them post a congratulatory message on his wall that he has finally come out - at the same time on the same day.

Seemingly harmless joke.

Within about 15 minutes he had nearly 80 posts on his page. People he didn't even know where commenting on other posts just to get a shot in there.

He flipped the lid and said "friends don't do that to each other..... ...I'm sorry but I don't think we can be mates anymore".

Shortly after, he said "sorry for over reacting, let's wipe the slate clean and start fresh"

Shortly after that message he said "Sorry, I've though about what you've done and friends just don't do that to each other, we can no longer be friends".

This was a mate from school for near on 10 years.

Haven't spoken to him since and that was 2 years ago (IIRC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

^

Bit over the top, no?

^

Bit over the top, no?

Just a bit yea.

The thing is, he's still friends with a lot of my friends so he calls ahead to see if me or my other mate are there and if either of us are, he won't come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

he's worse than that Kony fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

^

Bit over the top, no?

Just a bit yea.

The thing is, he's still friends with a lot of my friends so he calls ahead to see if me or my other mate are there and if either of us are, he won't come out.

Gimme his phone number. I'll troll the crap out of him and post it here. Would make it a smeenchy bit more interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

OP, I hope you told his wife about her lovely husband sleeping around behind her back ! What a pig :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

krudler wrote: »
    he's worse than that Kony fella
    Oh, worse than Kony. You wouldn't find Kony playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Meh. By the time you hit 30 all your old friends live miles away and have their own families so eventually you lose contact anyway. That's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

have you ever been pissed off that much with your friends that you told them to do 1? Often days go by when I remember the good times but I'll never forgive being insulted, To me, life is too short to be dealing with a prick :D

you spent TWENTY, YEARS, putting up with him, and then you to on to say life is too short? :confused:

get out! :pac:

• Advertisement

Sauve wrote: »
    Gimme his phone number. I'll troll the crap out of him and post it here. Would make it a smeenchy bit more interesting...

Don't have his phone number anymore... Moved to Malta and lost a heap of numbers. Feel free to troll him on Facebook though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Jaysus! what happened to bros before hoes. Man you must be on the blob, your mate wanted to empty the muck in some ho b4 signing away his sex life for the rest of eternity and you fell out over it?

that's a time for a high 5. no wonder he didn't trust you to be best man at his wedding. Maybe you woulda been better suited to a bridesmaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

As the title says I was best mates with a lad for close on 20 years, known each other since 1st year In secondary school and a while back I got so pissed off with him, I told him to shove his friendship up his arse. He was always a self centered man, his way or no way type of person regarding drinking sessions, weekends away, that sort of thing. While he was great craic, very witty and loved pulling the birds, he seemed to turn in to a proper arsehole over the past number of years. Now don’t get me wrong, I was no shrinking violet myself but he got engaged to a lass, married her and bedded this cheap oul tart a few months before his wedding, in their own house.
    Like, you’ve got to grow up at some stage in your life ffs, we not kids any more and all have responsibilities (kids, mortgages etc).Now I’ve drank more than my fair share in my time, rode more than my fair share of women, had the craic but to me sexing a tart months before his own wedding in their bed was bang out of order and told him so. We fell out over this but I wasn’t worried as we had many fall out over the years. Which was all well and fine till I got an invite to the evening part of his wedding some time after.
    To say I was astounded would be an understatement. An evening invite to a wedding that I was fully expecting to be best man at was the final insult. His dad died a few years back and I, being the best friend took a month off work at my own expense to prick around the pubs and clubs of Ireland to help him through a very difficult time of his life, his short memory sickened me no end. Needless to say I never did go to the wedding, hear he is knocking off a bird around town so some things never change I guess. 2 years on from when I told him to **** himself and I don’t regret a day of it, only wish I did it earlier, begs the question: have you ever been pissed off that much with your friends that you told them to do 1? Often days go by when I remember the good times but I'll never forgive being insulted, To me, life is too short to be dealing with a prick :D
    Just thought I'd offer that bit of useless information on a Wednesday afternoon while waiting till 5 a clock comes ;) Lets hear your stories..

The last time I heard a rant like this it was from a woman, slumped on my couch on her third glass of wine.

If I ever hear someone saying wimmen bitch more then men, im pointing them in this direction !

Do you need a tub of ice cream or anything op ?

Domo230 wrote: »
    Good effort, relevant to the thread and offensive to most, lacks credibility though.

Overall I give this 4/5
    good effort trolling, next time focus on making it more believable though,

snore

tempura wrote: »
    The last time I heard a rant like this it was from a woman, slumped on my couch on her third glass of wine.

If I ever hear someone saying wimmen bitch more then men, im pointing them in this direction !

Do you need a tub of ice cream or anything op ?

A shot of testosterone perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Now I’ve drank more than my fair share in my time, rode more than my fair share of women

Oh you just had to include that bit didn't you.............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Lets hear your stories..
    My best pal called up to the house when we were about 16 and suggested we go for a cycle. Then he said I should go onto the middle of the road but I refused. Then he knocked me off the bike. He tried to kill me. Don't bother with people after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

But you didn't have to cut me off...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Kony 4 president 2k9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

OK OP, let me be the first to try a serious response!

I have done this very thing over something that seemed very important to me when i was 20, but now looking back was stupid and unimportant. The guy was a close friend of mine. He was 3 years older than me and like a big brother really. He took me to pubs when I was under age, organised premiership trips to UK, introduced to me to girls when I was ultra shy and did the donkey work with chatting up, the list goes on. I'd love to be able to go for a pint with him again now but theres too much water under the bridge. We've both moved on and hes emigrated years ago anyway. So in summary my take is, unless you are provoked just let a friendship peter out.

Fair play to you for your moral stance but if it was me I'd live and let live. I wouldnt get mixed up in friends martial issues personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'd do the same if one of my best friends needed it. We all have different ways of dealing with things and if that's how my buddy wanted to deal with it, I'd be along for the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

chin_grin wrote: »
    lyk dis if u cryd.

Could someone explain this to me, i dont get it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Warper wrote: »
    Could someone explain this to me, i dont get it ??

Like this if you cried.
    You'd have to know all the like pages on facebook really to get it.

Advertisement