Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weightlifting - it's actually pretty easy

Options
  • 30-05-2012 4:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by Ste's post in another thread, I wanted to start this one...
    Scuba Ste wrote: »
    The lifts are actually not that difficult to learn (at least not as sometimes claimed)

I'd definitely be of the same opinion as Ste here. I think with good solid one on one coaching, they're very learnable, very quickly. Especially if you've a training background, and no movement issues.

Anyone care to share some thoughts?

(for the sake of this thread lets assume "learning" them is getting to a point where you;re cleaning and snatching and they actually look like proper cleans and snatches - albeit not technically perfect)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Hanley wrote: »
    Especially if you've a training background, and no movement issues.

Yep I think they are relatively easy* assuming those two points are covered. From what I've seen in ECB with anybody new the main problem is acquiring the flexibility for the lifts. The older they are the longer this is likely to take.

*depending on your definition of easy. It'll still take a few months to look reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

what about psychological issues?

I look at clean & jerks/snatches and think I'll never understand the mechanics of it even if shown. Then there is always the fear of the weight... maybe that one is just me :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I look at clean & jerks/snatches and think I'll never understand the mechanics of it even if shown. Then there is always the fear of the weight... maybe that one is just me :pac:

If gymfreak can learn to snatch.... :D

Tbh I think a lot of it is to do with segmental stages so that the trainee doesn't even need to think about the full lift.

Eg for snatch (and this is just what I like and have seen work recently, others may disagree)
    **assume adequate mobility, OH squat and drop snatch done by now...
    1) start the bar from mid thigh, stand up tall
    2) from mid thigh, move the bar up to the crease and jump tall
    3) same as step 2, pull the elbows high and back (to keep the bar close)
    4) same as step 3, punch the bar over head and immediately get down to OH squat
    5) then worry about going off the floor

What methods do others use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Well I agree with Hanley's OP.

I think you can realistically coach someone to power clean in 4-6 weeks training twice per week. If they have good mobility and athleticism you can coach the full lifts in a similar time frame (longer to teach the three lifts santch/clean/jerk because it's three lifts instead of one). In my experience, mobility/flexibility are by far the biggest obstacles in teaching someone the lifts. Your usually trying to get their mobility to catch up with their technical ability.

Learning progression wise I use this:

1. OH Squat-as deep as comfortable, keeping the back straight
    2. Snatch balance/drop (bar starts on shoulders not overhead)
    3. Snatch from the hip
    4. Snatch-bar at hip-pause-bar to below knee-pause-back to hip-pause-jump and catch overhead
    5. Snatch from below knee-same as above without pausing
    6. First pull-use lats to push bar back toward the body off the floor to the knee
    7. Full snatch

3, 4 and 5 is basically Glenn Pendlay's progrssion and then the other stuff is added in as needed. The first few session will be almost exclusively from the hang, moving onto the floor when that gets better.

See, simples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

I wanted to learn how to Olympic lift for about 10 years but I was warned off them by coaches in other sports because they "require proper coaching" and are "extremely technical".

Anyway, I started working on them myself earlier this year. I had poor strength but good mobility so I could get into the snatch positions almost straight away.

I went through the Pendlay warmups and after a few weeks got some technical instruction. I can snatch light weights now*

I think they are the type of thing that you could tape a video of yourself and put it on the internet and you'd get loads of people pointing out loads of mistakes. Perhaps the technicality of it becomes more apparent when you actually start lifting heavy weights.

Having said that, I am a complete beginner and I can't even Power clean.

I'd be curious to see how many people can walk through the door and have the mobility for the snatch. I think it's a big "if" in the original question.

I think that if i had to work on mobility for like 6 months before I got do a decent snatch I would have quit and done something else.

*imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

6 months ago I had absolutely no experience in barbell training never mind the olympic lifts. Now after 2 Oly sessions a week I can snatch 50kg and c&j 65kg at 67kg body weight, their not big numbers and my technique isn't great but I am getting the weight overhead and I'm improving by the week. Don't think I could have done it without proper coaching though. I think when I started to understand the mechanics of the lifts it helped allot, like high elbows is about pulling yourself under the bar rather than trying to lift the bar higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I included them in my lifting, mostly power cleans. Starting low and slowly adding to them weekly.

My form got better at moderate weight, look proper compared to muscling it up before. But once I go for a max attempt (appraoching BW) it falls apart a bit and looks crap.

Then i gave up. i'll no doubt go back and struggle some more in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

That's a bit like saying "walking is pretty easy assuming you have both feet". I think the coaching in Ireland is pretty hard to come by, and the movement issues are always a challenge.

From a point of view of someone who works with large groups, if I want to do power work, I could spend a long long time working on how to snatch, or I can have them bounding within 5 minutes. I often only have 15 minutes of actual work time with a group before training.

The issues are not with the lifts themselves, but the practicalities of implementation. We're not in the USA where there are 15 platforms in a high school gym and a team of coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The issues are not with the lifts themselves, but the practicalities of implementation. We're not in the USA where there are 15 platforms in a high school gym and a team of coaches.

This.

I often have 20-25 lads in the gym and teaching the clean to that many doesn't give enough bang for buck when there's only 1 coach.

I agree with the post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

It's this one that gets me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I don't understand the fear thing. I'm ten times as scared of squats than snatches as there's more time to think about the thing that's trying to crush you! Jerks cause some fear but you just have to turn your brain off. No good has ever resulted from thinking about stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

That's a bit like saying "walking is pretty easy assuming you have both feet". I think the coaching in Ireland is pretty hard to come by, and the movement issues are always a challenge.

From a point of view of someone who works with large groups, if I want to do power work, I could spend a long long time working on how to snatch, or I can have them bounding within 5 minutes. I often only have 15 minutes of actual work time with a group before training.

I'd agree with you there but it doesn't answer the original question.

Personally, I don't think they are that easy to teach because when you try to describe it verbally, people often struggle to understand what you mean; "pull yourself under the bar". It sounds right to those who have done a snappy, deep squat clean but for those yet to experience it.......

It does help if you can do the lift proficiently yourself. Even at my stage of development, I reckon if I posted an online video of myself, people would still legitimately find small errors in my technique and I've been at it for more than 10 years.

I start off by teaching constituent lifts like for clean, RDL and Front Squat, and Push Press, and then filling in the gaps by working from the ground up, power shrugs, clean pulls, high pulls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

gymfreak wrote: »

Thats a little odd IMO, squat and bench are far more intimidating. Dumping a clean or snatch is simple compared to being pinned under a bar when benchin.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thats a little odd IMO, squat and bench are far more intimidating. Dumping a clean or snatch is simple compared to being pinned under a bar when benchin.

I meant that more in general terms as in holding yourself back from progressing on a lift due to fear of injury from the weight even you're physical capable of lifting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I meant that more in general terms as in holding yourself back from progressing on a lift due to fear of injury from the weight even you're physical capable of lifting it.
    Getting over this comes with practice, if you're +-5% on something you know you can always lift then commiting should be no problem.

Missing isn't so bad, the bar is going to go where it's going to go, you just have to get out of the way! Even if you drop the thing on yourself, there should be enough clearance between the bar and the floor to prevent squashing.

In terms of injury, your tissues should be almost accustomed to the weight you're attempting so that missing it shouldn't put too much strain on your joints i.e. it's probably not a good idea to go for a 30kg PB on something.

It's hard to tell yourself this though, you probably need a few hundred reps under your belt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Okay I interpreted the original post a little differently. I thought from a coaching point of view and not an individual.

Firstly I'm a level 1 IAWLA coach... I think they call that a junior coach or apprentice coach or something now... but I had lifted a bit before the certification. Ironically, I lifted less once I got qualified due to working in a facility that didn't encourage the lifts, and I haven't coached anyone the snatch in 3 years. I think there are a lot of guys out there like me; technically qualified to teach the lifts from some insurance point of view, but with too little time under the bar and too little face time with trainees. Would you really want to be coached to weighlift by a guy who isn't dedicated to it? I regularly get asked to coach the lifts, and I always pass these people on to ECB, Hercs etc. My thinking is that if people are genuinely interested in seeing a progression technically in Ireland, then they should probably not try to ham it along by themselves, but should be apprenticing in one of the centres of excellence.

So I think they're easy to learn, but it's a sport and a craft and if you want to learn it or coach it then you should be apprenticed to someone to learn the craft of it.

Actually I think that about a lot of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

What's the story with the level one coaching?

Do you have to be able to lift a certain minimum standard with good form to get it?

So I think they're easy to learn, but it's a sport and a craft and if you want to learn it or coach it then you should be apprenticed to someone to learn the craft of it.

I'd agree and I think that's something that is forgotten. Weightlifting is a sport and with that comes the time and commitment required to learn any new sport. It's probably not realistic or useful for most to learn a new sport for something that will only make up a small part of a small part of their overall training.

My throwaway point was just that there seems to be a fear of the lifts as some incredibly technical movements that really isn't true. The point that cambridge made that they are 'extremely technical' is a common misconception imo. I'm not sure now what was in the other thread but I think there were references to the complexity of the lifts too. Without a coach, yes they are difficult but so is any sport and so are a lot of other lifts.

And yeah having the mobility is a huge 'if' but it shouldn't take anything like 6 months to to get there either.

cambridge wrote: »
    What's the story with the level one coaching?

Do you have to be able to lift a certain minimum standard with good form to get it?

To do the course, no you don't need to able to the lifts. There is an assessment at the end but it involves coaching someone else not doing the lifts yourself. Everything you need would be taught during the course. Most people starting out probably haven't done the lifts at all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

viewpost.gif
    Originally Posted by Gummy Panda viewpost.gif

I look at clean & jerks/snatches and think I'll never understand the mechanics of it even if shown. Then there is always the fear of the weight... maybe that one is just me pacman.gif

Originally Posted by gymfreak viewpost.gif
    It's this one that gets me

I purely psyche myself out..that's it! If something feels heavy I tend to panic and kinda shutdown. Happens regularly. First night in ECB hangsnatched 25kg without knowing what I was doing/what I was supposed to do. Took me about 3 weeks to get back to that weight cos I'd kinda panic for now reason and not commit.

Benching and squatting used to bother me but now for benching I've learnt how to fail and roll the bar down my body and then lift it off and squatting I found new friends...safety bars:D:D You should see my failed attempt at squatting, probably the most calmest, quietest fails around.

It irriatates me..but hopefully I'll get more confident over time!

• Advertisement

You know the rubber plates you use? They're so you can dump the bar safely when you miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

viewpost.gif

I purely psyche myself out..that's it! If something feels heavy I tend to panic and kinda shutdown. Happens regularly. First night in ECB hangsnatched 25kg without knowing what I was doing/what I was supposed to do. Took me about 3 weeks to get back to that weight cos I'd kinda panic for now reason and not commit.

Benching and squatting used to bother me but now for benching I've learnt how to fail and roll the bar down my body and then lift it off and squatting I found new friends...safety bars:D:D You should see my failed attempt at squatting, probably the most calmest, quietest fails around.

It irriatates me..but hopefully I'll get more confident over time!

i know what your on about and im a bit the same, i wouldnt call it a fear but defo a a lack of confidenence sometimes. and it can come from nowhere, i find one miss on a lift and it phucks the rest of the session. i used to over think it a lot afterwards which meant the next day you walk up for a lift and your already beat in the head.
    i find dropping down about 10% and get a load of sets in over a few days and then begin to creep up again with a good working base, so sharp warmups and lots of work sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

How heavy does the weight have to be before you can justify ****ing it on the ground after you lift it? Or is it just me who has a problem with this? Saw some guys doing some crossfit style **** in the lifting platform dropping the empty bar on the ground making a lot of noise. Really started bugging me and I had to reach deep down within and use my mantra to prevent myself from clobbering them. Like fair enough if you're snatching like over 100kg and the only way to get it back to the ground is dropping it but what about those guys slamming bars like their trying to bounce them.

Just seems like brutish behaviour to me and these guys be better off in the ruffian sports.

Just seems like brutish behaviour to me and these guys be better off in the ruffian sports.

If you are on a platform, and are using bumpers, even it's only 2 x 5kg plates on the bar and you snatch it, I'd drop it to the floor every time, reset and go again if I was doing a double or triple.

Catching the bar/lowering the bar will just take too much out of you for the next lift.

The bumpers are designed to be dropped.
    When I say dropped, I mean you keep your hands on the bar as it makes it way to the floor, I wouldn't slam the bar into the ground.

If you ever have to do 1 clean & 3 jerks, the hardest part for me is lowering the bar from overhead back to the rack position for the next jerk.

So again, I say, drop the bar, assuming you're on a platform and using bumpers.

Yeah you'd probably **** yourself up lowering it too. When I started dropping my dead lifts from about 4 inches I found it a lot easier to do reps.

I dunno if can do it with a snatch though, i actually don't like loud noises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you are on a platform, and are using bumpers, even it's only 2 x 5kg plates on the bar and you snatch it, I'd drop it to the floor every time, reset and go again if I was doing a double or triple.

Catching the bar/lowering the bar will just take too much out of you for the next lift.

When I say dropped, I mean you keep your hands on the bar as it makes it way to the floor, I wouldn't slam the bar into the ground.

If you ever have to do 1 clean & 3 jerks, the hardest part for me is lowering the bar from overhead back to the rack position for the next jerk.

You'd drop 30kg becaue lowering it would take too much out of you?!

After a warm up with the bar, which I obviously don't drop, I go straight to 40, and yes, I'd drop every rep.

what happened to barry's account?

Does anyone play golf that also does the Olympic lifts? how do they compare 'technically'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

After a warm up with the bar, which I obviously don't drop, I go straight to 40, and yes, I'd drop every rep.

have to agree with coopter, thats what the plates and platforms are for.

Advertisement