Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weightlifting - it's actually pretty easy

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

GASMANN wrote: »
    have to agree with coopter, thats what the plates and platforms are for.

Yes. And 5's and 10's are quite thin, don't resist lateral flexion too well, they're expensive and can quite easily warp/tear. And there's no real need to drop them if you're even moderately strong. It's just a respect thing IMO. Like yeah it's not your equipment, doesn't mean you can't at least be careful about it. You don't need to drop the weight when you're shoulder pressing in a commercial gym, why do it with considerably less, just because you can?

Ever dropped a 40kg from overhead onto a bouncy platform? If you're not careful it can go anywhere.

It's just unnecessary, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Not all 5s and 10s are thin.

Just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Not all 5s and 10s are thin.

Just sayin.

If they're thick they're probably still quite fragile. There's no way they could be strong without density (density == weight) while still being standard oly plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Have to agree with Hanley. I don't drop anything less than 40kg usually. If I don't have to drop it, I won't. It doesn't really take too much effort to catch 40kg and you get used it. If I'm using straps for doubles and triples I'll catch every rep but the last even on work sets. Same for rack jerks because it's just a pain in the hole lifting a bar back up or stripping it to put it back into the rack. It's something you build up to and get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Hanley wrote: »
    Yes. And 5's and 10's are quite thin, don't resist lateral flexion too well, they're expensive and can quite easily warp/tear. And there's no real need to drop them if you're even moderately strong. It's just a respect thing IMO. Like yeah it's not your equipment, doesn't mean you can't at least be careful about it. You don't need to drop the weight when you're shoulder pressing in a commercial gym, why do it with considerably less, just because you can?

Ever dropped a 40kg from overhead onto a bouncy platform? If you're not careful it can go anywhere.

It's just unnecessary, in my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't drop much below 60/70kg, but I'm 110kg bw or there about. A person who weighs 50-60kg is going to need to let the weight drop when it's a lot lighter than me.
    I don't think it's a respect issue in regards to the equipment as I was always taught how to drop a bar. We're not talking about a wwe style power slam into the platform.
    I've dropped a few 40kg's alright but onto proper platforms, so they didn't go that far.
    On the shoulder press comparison, I don't shoulder press from the floor so I just re-rack it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

cheers good advice guys

Advertisement