Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pajero vs Lancruiser (also Grand Vitara)

• 30-05-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Is there any reason the Pajero is so much cheaper s/h than the Landcruiser (apart from reputation)?

Thinking of a SWB Pajero, 05-07ish, under 10 grand.

Have a car as well but needs to be reasonably comfortable to drive and above all reliable. Fuel consumption not a huge priority - I'll only be doing a few thousand miles a year - have a car. I don't pull a trailer at the moment but that may change.

I've always shied away from SWBs before - worries about stability - but Navara yoke I have is a bit cumbersome on off-road tracks I have to use and i just don't find it 'handy' for trips into town etc. End up jumping in car more often than not!

I'd also be possibly interested in a LWB Grand Vitara. Anyone any experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Fermec

The Landcruiser are probably the best jeep on the road,for Towing etc, a good workhorse thats why they hold there value so well, always in big demand. Thirsty tho!!:eek: But the Pajero are a Fine Jeep aswell & would be perfect for what you want it for. Id Keep away from the Vitara tho, Not a Tough a jeep & you will get feck all for it when you go to Trade it!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Also NO road holding on the vitara. Worst yole I ever drove for under steer in corners.

Would you think of a sorento. very good on fuel. Good off road, can tow no probs and not pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭royalmeath

You cannot beat the landcruiser as for the vitara its a grand yoke if your picking the kids up from school, as for the pajero steer clear of the older 2.5 engines the give alot of trouble with the head. So in summary buy a landcruiser and feel like king of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fendt712

I wouldn't buy either to be honest. Most people probably won't agree but I'd buy a discovery. Have had 3 at this stage and wouldn't swap for the world. Tow a 14x6 nugent trailer with it and you hardly know its there. In my opinion land cruisers are over-priced and heavy on diesel, I know A lot of friends of mine complain about diesel consumption.

To be fair discoverys give an occasional bit of trouble but in my case onlysmall bits. Whatever your decision stay far away from grand vitara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Fendt712 wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy either to be honest. Most people probably won't agree but I'd buy a discovery. Have had 3 at this stage and wouldn't swap for the world. Tow a 14x6 nugent trailer with it and you hardly know its there. In my opinion land cruisers are over-priced and heavy on diesel, I know A lot of friends of mine complain about diesel consumption.

To be fair discoverys give an occasional bit of trouble but in my case onlysmall bits. Whatever your decision stay far away from grand vitara.

He said it has to be reliable!!
    Disco and reliability, dont sit in the same sentence:eek: I have the T Shirt to prove it.
    Brother in law has had two from new in England. He could write a book on the number of times has has had them in the garage.
    Mind you, they are nice to drive, when they do drive:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

pburns wrote: »
    I don't pull a trailer at the moment

What do you want the jeep for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Is there any reason the Pajero is so much cheaper s/h than the Landcruiser (apart from reputation)?

Have a car as well but needs to be reasonably comfortable to drive and above all reliable. Fuel consumption not a huge priority - I'll only be doing a few thousand miles a year - have a car. I don't pull a trailer at the moment but that may change.

I've always shied away from SWBs before - worries about stability - but Navara yoke I have is a bit cumbersome on off-road tracks I have to use and i just don't find it 'handy' for trips into town etc. End up jumping in car more often than not!

I'd also be possibly interested in a LWB Grand Vitara. Anyone any experience of them?

The big question you should ask your self do I require a jeep. You said tou will only be doing a few thousand a year. Some of that will be without a trailer behind. Is it a status symbol. Nowa days 5,000 euro will buy you a flaking Diesel car or van that will do 50+mpg. Land Cruisers 25MPG, pajero 28-30mpg nearly got caught up in the fad a couple of years ago.

I find that I can get cattle from the mart, to the factory shifted to an from out farm for a good bit less than 1000 euro/year. With that I have a 8X5 box that I tow behind the van if I want to move a couple animals or I take it to the mart and if I buy up to 4 I can bring home myself other than than I either get a truck if I have enough or get someone to drop off the rest.

The big question you should ask your self do I require a jeep. You said tou will only be doing a few thousand a year. Some of that will be without a trailer behind. Is it a status symbol. Nowa days 5,000 euro will buy you a flaking Diesel car or van that will do 50+mpg. Land Cruisers 25MPG, pajero 28-30mpg nearly got caught up in the fad a couple of years ago.

I find that I can get cattle from the mart, to the factory shifted to an from out farm for a good bit less than 1000 euro/year. With that I have a 8X5 box that I tow behind the van if I want to move a couple animals or I take it to the mart and if I buy up to 4 I can bring home myself other than than I either get a truck if I have enough or get someone to drop off the rest.

Totally agree. Lads need to start doing their sums and tightening their belts. We are in a recession. Sell those 12'+ trailers if your land is all in one block or tow them behind the tractor. Diesel is only getting dearer. Use the push bike for the herding on outfarms. Good for the heart and the wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

As usual Pudsey is making some good points there. Fuel cost with a jeep is a big consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

i all fairness you will get shag all haulage done for a grand especially if you have a god few to shift, convenience is also a factor in making a decision. for me the cattle trailer is towed behind the jeep over 90% of the time so I will have a different view

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I don't pull a trailer at the moment but that may change.

You're in the "want" category, not the "need" category at the moment. Buy something more economical now, trade later if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

i all fairness you will get shag all haulage done for a grand especially if you have a god few to shift, convenience is also a factor in making a decision. for me the cattle trailer is towed behind the jeep over 90% of the time so I will have a different view

You would be surprised at how much stuff you can haul to market on a bike:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Tora Bora wrote: »
    You would be surprised at how much stuff you can haul to market on a bike:D

Not so good for sheep though, might work for a quiet ram mind :D

aussiefarmermotorbikesheep-cbd9b4aa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pajeros seem to be better value alright at the moment, they are a good jeep to tow just be careful of the dual mass flywheel issue, if you buy one around the 07 mark make sure its already been changed, if you go for a automatic you will avoid the issue altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Beginning to question the value of the Landcruiser even for haulage
    The landcruiser/14ft Nugent was holding the tractor/24ft cattle trailer on the way up to an outfarm a few weeks back.
    Think a jeep has become a serious status symbol for farmers. Its their choice and their money but there's lots of lads out there with shag all use for a jeep.

Bob I did not include you with OP. Op said he uses it for a few thousand alot of that may be without a trailer. I did not tell him not to rather I pointed out another option. It would suprise how much you can get transpoted for a thousand euro.
    A van and 5X8trailer ( VW caddy is rated to pull 1.8 tonnes) will do a lot for medium sized farmers. The caddy will do 50 mpg and will take a lot of pressure of the car in the house. I often head top the mart with the van and trailer or with the van alone you will often think you will buy more than you eventually do.
    The agent that buys most of my cattle for the factory is easy enought to pay to carry them if they go further I negoiate the haulage again with the agent pointing out my normal cost. To drop cattle to another bit of land 10 miles away I get someone to drop them off and again at year end or they go to the factory. I put up 400-500 km a week in the van a jeep would break me it would be sitting in front of the house as I be afraid to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bob I did not include you with OP. Op said he uses it for a few thousand alot of that may be without a trailer. I did not tell him not to rather I pointed out another option. It would suprise how much you can get transpoted for a thousand euro.
    A van and 5X8trailer ( VW caddy is rated to pull 1.8 tonnes) will do a lot for medium sized farmers. The caddy will do 50 mpg and will take a lot of pressure of the car in the house. I often head top the mart with the van and trailer or with the van alone you will often think you will buy more than you eventually do.
    The agent that buys most of my cattle for the factory is easy enought to pay to carry them if they go further I negoiate the haulage again with the agent pointing out my normal cost. To drop cattle to another bit of land 10 miles away I get someone to drop them off and again at year end or they go to the factory. I put up 400-500 km a week in the van a jeep would break me it would be sitting in front of the house as I be afraid to use it.

How will the van work on the off road tracks that the OP mentioned?

reilig wrote: »

You be suprised where a van will go and do like I do when it will not WALK include it as part of your excerise regime. I often go accross the fields with a couple buckets of meal. We can all find excuses to own things and then say we are losing money.
    I had not seen the part about tracks but I have yet to find one I cannot access with the van, often a lorry load of stone for 150 euro solves the problem for 2-3 years.

the grand vitara would be a good comprise. they are a seriously reliable jeep. biggest draw back I found with them is you would need the hands of a child to work on them and not the shovels I have. Ran one for a few years and was bullet proof. Thinking of buying one again as back up and could do with one around the farm as my main one is away motoring most of the week. Currently have a car but tax is 460 and insurance is twice as dear as a commercial. Would save around €600 a year before I done a mile. If only doing handy milage on a light jeep say doing 30miles to gallon vs car at 45m/gls up to around 12k miles I would be better off with the jeep. Light jeep should do more than 30m/gls whereas current car is only getting 45m/gls and can never be back up for a heavy jeep if needed. Can see a van being any good off road.

Different horses for different courses, along as you can justify something in your own head then thats all that matters

You be suprised where a van will go and do like I do when it will not WALK include it as part of your excerise regime. I often go accross the fields with a couple buckets of meal. We can all find excuses to own things and then say we are losing money.
    I had not seen the part about tracks but I have yet to find one I cannot access with the van, often a lorry load of stone for 150 euro solves the problem for 2-3 years.

years ago when i was in short pants all the animals were fed with grains out of the boot of a car.

• Advertisement

Leave the van on the road and use a tractor. A jeep with a load of cattle on the back ain't goin' too far down a mucky track

years ago when i was in short pants all the animals were fed with grains out of the boot of a car.

Is your underlying message to move with the times? If it is, I'd agree. People should start to live within the times we live in. Cut their cloth according to their measure

I have a 3km laneway to my land which isn't accessible by car or van. €20,000 of stone would make it accessible for my car.

But the Op never mentioned anything about losing money. For all we kow, he is the most profitable farmer in the country and relys on a 4x4 hansomely to make his profit. Come to mention it, the op never even said that he was a farmer - he could be a multi-millionaire lotto winner who has a secluded weekend chalet on a long dirt road. Sorry for the rant, but the op asked a specific question about 3 different 4x4's. He never mentioned whether he could afford one or what his profit levels are because its probably none of our business. If he/she wants to spend the money to buy and run a 4x4, then let them.

Muckit wrote: »
    Is your underlying message to move with the times? If it is, I'd agree. People should start to live within the times we live in. Cut their cloth according to their measure

What's the OP's measure????????

Leave the van on the road and use a tractor. A jeep with a load of cattle on the back ain't goin' too far down a mucky track

The OP never mentioned anything about a trailer or cattle?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

to be fair muckit the OP says he is driving a navara so I guess he is already aware/happy regarding the fuel consumption etc of a 4x4.

my neighbor has a pretty new range rover for pulling the cattle trailer:D

my neighbor has a pretty new range rover for pulling the cattle trailer:D

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I did a quick calculation there. For an annual 20,000 KM and a diesel cost of 1.55 Euro per Lt, the difference between 45 MPG (Car) and 35 MPG (Jeep) comes to 555 Euro per annum.

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    I did a quick calculation there. For an annual 15,000 KM and a diesel cost of 1.55 Euro per Lt, the difference between 45 MPG (Car) and 35 MPG (Jeep) comes to 415 Euro per annum.

How much cheaper is it to tax and insure a commercial jeep than a private car?

How much cheaper is it to tax and insure a commercial jeep than a private car?

200 tax less for the car i currently have and about 400 in insurance, presume I could bill the farm a higher rate for motoring costs if driving a jeep over a car so could tip it even further. I got 27.5miles/gallon with land cruiser doing a long journey towing nothing but decent payload in the back. i didn't spare it one bit though as circumstances didn't allow, mix of motorway, back roads, everything so would get to 30miles/per gallon if driving economically. a light jeep would do 35mpg, maybe even more

pakalasa wrote: »
    I did a quick calculation there. For an annual 20,000 KM and a diesel cost of 1.55 Euro per Lt, the difference between 45 MPG (Car) and 35 MPG (Jeep) comes to 555 Euro per annum.

However if you compare a van/ diesel car doing 55mpg compared to a jeep doing 28mpg the difference is 1500 euro the tax on the van is the same as the jeep

PS before some complains I did my calculation off 20,000KM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You can't exactly tow cattle to the mart with a small car / van. How many MPG will a tractor do? ;)
    I have a 4x4, but I do very low mileage. I wouldn't like to be doing high mileage but for me, it doesn't cost me any more than a car to run.

Advertisement