Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macbook Pro display difficulties

• 30-05-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I've had an unusual problem with the display on my Macbook Pro, which I bought in June 2008. Maybe someone on here could enlighten me as to what happened!

On Sunday, the screen went dead, but it booted up fine judging by the start up sound. Took it to a repair place and they ran a test for a known issue with the NVIDIA graphics card which can cause that problem, but it didn't turn out to be that. Later, they rang back and said it needed a new display and quoted me €600. I said okay, because it's a good machine and I just wanted it back! They ordered the parts and said they'd get back to me.

This morning they rang and said it was actually an issue with the Logic Board and I would need a new one, which would cost about €700. They said it worked running off an external monitor though, so I figured I'd just buy an external and run off that for the time being. So I picked up the laptop, paid €70 for their diagnosis fee, and went and bought a monitor instead (much cheaper!).

Took it home, hooked it up. Closed the lid just as it was booting up which forced the display to the external, then opened the lid so I could type in the password. This all went fine and I was happy as I could use my laptop again, if only in this slightly restrictive manner! Then I decided to adjust the display settings for the external display in System Preferences, as they seemed a bit 'off' to me.

I hit 'detect displays' in the 'displays' tab, then suddenly the laptop screen came back to life! I then had a dual screen setup, which was cool. I then shut down the laptop and restarted it without the external display and it still runs fine. Which is great.

But my question is, what happened?? Makes no sense to me. The guys in the repair shop were about to replace the whole logic board, and now it's fine. I'm worried it's an intermittent problem which could happen again.

The log on the receipt I have says it was an issue with 'a MLB or LVDS connector' which Google tells me are logic board components but I know little more than that.

So, should I be worried that this will keep happening? Also, should I ask for my €70 back as their diagnosis was incorrect? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

sounds like the Nvidia problem to me... I know this test is not totally conclusive and can pass and fail in the same day. Especially for a machine that has just exhibited the symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Orlock

Apple have an extended warranty program me for any of the models affected by the failing nvidia chpset, You need to call them ASAP to see if you're model is covered as this sounds like the start of the end for the logic board if it has the NVidia chip,

see link below . . .

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Orlock wrote: »
    Apple have an extended warranty program me for any of the models affected by the failing nvidia chpset, You need to call them ASAP to see if you're model is covered as this sounds like the start of the end for the logic board if it has the NVidia chip,

see link below . . .

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Hey, cheers for the reply. Took it back to where I had brought it and seems to be sorted now, they got it to fail the diagnostic test for the nVidia problem. The card and logic board have been replaced at no cost to myself. Well I'm typing on it right now anyway! I'm a bit concerned that it will only happen again as from what I'm reading online all those cards are apparently liable to fail. Crazy that I've had this Mac nearly four years and heard nothing of this issue. Will just take it as it comes I suppose.

Advertisement