Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place for a random belter of a weekend the end of next month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Damascus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

just back from inish bofin off clifden in galway. fab weather, great walks, great music and pubs open til 5am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The marble city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Chişinău is where it's at nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I hear pisa is great for that kind of thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Thanks for the feedback lads, any personal experiences? I was hoping I'd have more info coming back to this but have to say never even thought of Chişinău.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Inis Oirr or Tory Island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

ouncer wrote: »
    just back from inish bofin off clifden in galway. fab weather, great walks, great music and pubs open til 5am.

shhh dont be tellin everyone !!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

whatever you do, don't go to bratislava. it's shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Belgrade has some of the best nightlife anywhere on the planet. Friendly locals, not many tourists, beautiful women etc.

The only drawback is the lack of a direct flight so it means going through Heathrow, but it is a city I would recommend.

Edit

Just found flights from Lufthansa, so nothing to stop you.

http://flights.lufthansa.com/flight-Dublin-Belgrade

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

The husbag went to Tallinn for his stag. Ryanair flight cheap enough, great deals on hotels, cheap drink, cheap food and weather probably decent enough this time of year, he went in February and it was -30 degrees!

Just back from Rome. Great food & drink & sightseeing etc but it is quite expensive especially around the very touristy areas. After reading your article you might be into it anyway. I would recommend Trastavere (an area in the south west of the city) and you will find some amazing places to eat. In one place we had 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts, wine and soft drinks and it cost €40. Amazing stuff.

FatherLen wrote: »
    whatever you do, don't go to bratislava. it's ****.

Was only there last week, thought it was nice actually.

Jay D wrote: »
    Was only there last week, thought it was nice actually.

nope

Shivers26 wrote: »
    The husbag went to Tallinn for his stag. Ryanair flight cheap enough, great deals on hotels, cheap drink, cheap food and weather probably decent enough this time of year, he went in February and it was -30 degrees!

Just back from Rome. Great food & drink & sightseeing etc but it is quite expensive especially around the very touristy areas. After reading your article you might be into it anyway. I would recommend Trastavere (an area in the south west of the city) and you will find some amazing places to eat. In one place we had 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts, wine and soft drinks and it cost €40. Amazing stuff.

Tallin is a place I personally have wanted to go to for some time.

Rome could be good alright. Never been eiether, thanks for that.
    nope

What turned you off it?
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Belgrade has some of the best nightlife anywhere on the planet. Friendly locals, not many tourists, beautiful women etc.

The only drawback is the lack of a direct flight so it means going through Heathrow, but it is a city I would recommend.

Cheers for that man, kinda hoping to have a cheap direct flight. We were looking into Lithuania but the flights are very dear for some reason. I will keep Serbia in mind for a future date though. Myself and the O/H had wanted to go to Croatia but the price involved is not far off what you'd get to Mexico for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭jluv

Barcelona! Sunshine,shopping,sightseeing,excellent restaraunts( off sidestreets Ramblas touristy overpriced) good pubs/clubs. If a few going I would suggest looking at renting apartment(which we have done) rather than hotel.The ones down by the port are fab.We paid €800 from Thurs to Sun but 8 of us there so €100 each not bad and place was like a hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Shivers26 wrote: »

Did he say how expensive the hookers were? :)

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Edit

Just found flights from Lufthansa, so nothing to stop you.

http://flights.lufthansa.com/flight-Dublin-Belgrade

Thanks for the update but they're still not direct and go throught the likes of Frankfurt, Munich etc. All in all not too bad butthe price is through the roof. I've looked at Lufthansa before for different trips and have always found them to be a cut above the rest when it comes to pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Dusseldorf is a great town for a weekend.

Weather would be good, the locals are friendly and good fun and its cheap enough there also and flights are usually cheap enough as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hear pisa is great for that kind of thing..

I'd be leaning towards that one myself.

What turned you off it?

we just found the place completely un-remarkable. the locals were not friendly. the night life was not very good and the city itself is nothing in comparison to most European cities.

my favourite cities are prague, budapest or vienna.

prague has great nightlife with fantastic sights during the day.

budapest offers a similar nightlife and has the bathhouses which are a must see.

vienna is just one the most beautiful cities i have ever seen.

if you're looking for somewhere a bit different you might try zagreb in croatia, nightlife is only ok but the place is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Termonfeckin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Valencia - sizzle on the beaches all day then party all night. Serious night life.

Closer to home Edinburgh is always a good weekend, maybe not very exotic !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Paris in the spring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

we just found the place completely un-remarkable. the locals were not friendly. the night life was not very good and the city itself is nothing in comparison to most European cities.

budapest offers a similar nightlife and has the bathhouses which are a must see.

if you're looking for somewhere a bit different you might try zagreb in croatia, nightlife is only ok but the place is amazing.

+1 for avoiding Bratislava. Nothing much to do...except go on the lash with all the stag do's. Nothing much on offer that you would fly all that way for, was tempted to head up the river to Vienna when we were there out of boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

You'd be hard pushed to a find better place than Bray

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fly into one country IE: Spain. Rent car/use public transport to get to another country IE: Latvia get flight home. That's how I holiday. Haven't covered that kind of distance yet but I tend to fly into one country travel trough another country to get to another country to fly home. It's more of an adventure, you end up in weird towns and there can be mad rushes to get trains when you wake up hungover in some place you've no idea where it is and every things in foreign.

I've been to all 3 a few times and would agree with you although I still think Pragua as a city is nicer than Vienna, although if I thought more I guess I would find arguements either way.

Like I said already would love to go to Croatia but it's very dear to get to.

I just felt B'slava was what you made it. The scenery iis nothing on Prague that's for sure but had a good laugh with the people there and found it to be less touristy than Prague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I am pie wrote: »
    Valencia - sizzle on the beaches all day then party all night. Serious night life.

They must've gotten the Blue Flag since I was there, plenty Seanin Rubbeirs and floaters, er, floating in the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hamburg.

Don't think - book it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I see that you're trying to plan randomness.

Random = turning up at the airport and taking the next flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

in Europe, any ideas?

few lads, been all over looking for something different, something like this:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1552129/They-made-me-a-pasta-I-couldnt-refuse.html#

place that has loads of random but great things to do, where's the best? :D

edit: wrong forum? please move if so.
    athens,
    greece

i hear its a riot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Berlin is a super city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Romantic getaway to Paris??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Leitrim, you'll appreciate your home much more when you return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Was in Krakow a few weeks ago. Great spot, buurds are savage, booze is cheap as is accommodation (we rented an apartment for €200 for 5 days). Stare Miasto is the best area to stay in, it's where most of the nightlife is at. Flights there aren't the cheapest, and the time might not suit, what with the Euros an' all.. but def one to bear in mind for the next time..

IMO Krakow is quite similar to Prague, but much cheaper and locals are less apt to take advantage of tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

plys wrote: »
    Was in Krakow a few weeks ago. Great spot, buurds are savage, booze is cheap as is accommodation (we rented an apartment for €200 for 5 days). Stare Miasto is the best area to stay in, it's where most of the nightlife is at. Flights there aren't the cheapest, and the time might not suit, what with the Euros an' all.. but def one to bear in mind for the next time..

IMO Krakow is quite similar to Prague, but much cheaper and locals are less apt to take advantage of tourists.

Nah Krakow is like Dublin except not as many poles.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

athens,
    greece

i hear its a riot ;)

"Austerity tourism"

Thanks lads, it's lads really and I'm not sure about Paris, never been though. I remember once my flight was cancelled as we were queuing due to bad weather, gutted at the time!

I've done Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Madrid, Vienna, Frankfurt, Budapest, Valencia, suppose I'm looking for new ideas.

plys wrote: »

I'll never forget the first taxi I got in Breclav (south Czech) advantage isn't the word, absolute c*nts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

whatever you do, don't go to bratislava. it's shit.

You foolish man Meester Len, now ve come to keell you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Thanks lads, it's lads really and I'm not sure about Paris, never been though. I remember once my flight was cancelled as we were queuing due to bad weather, gutted at the time!

I've done Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Madrid, Vienna, Frankfurt, Budapest, Valencia, suppose I'm looking for new ideas.

Any chance you could use 'visited' or 'been to' next time. 'Done' really is a ridiculous thing to say. Reminds me of too many tw@ts going on about 'oh yeah, you can 'do' Rome/Madrid/Paris/wherever, in two days etc. Now let me get my list so I can put a check after each thing I've 'experienced'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Paris is great and all, but for a lads weekend you're gonna need serious cash! Loads of good suggestions in this thread - Berlin's great, Glasgow's brilliant (may be biased on this one!), Praque, Amsterdam all great places. Try find somewhere that has more to it than stags going on the piss all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭recyclops

Hamburg is a great spot but I found bouncers can be dicks towards groups of lads and won't allow them in pubs unless there are girls with em, though 99c bar is there and that place is amazing.

recyclops wrote: »
    Hamburg is a great spot but I found bouncers can be dicks towards groups of lads and won't allow them in pubs unless there are girls with em, though 99c bar is there and that place is amazing.

I've found that in Berlin too. Similar to here i suppose.
    Paris is great and all, but for a lads weekend you're gonna need serious cash! Loads of good suggestions in this thread - Berlin's great, Glasgow's brilliant (may be biased on this one!), Praque, Amsterdam all great places. Try find somewhere that has more to it than stags going on the piss all day.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at, trying to steer away from the norm really.
    Any chance you could use 'visited' or 'been to' next time. 'Done' really is a ridiculous thing to say. Reminds me of too many tw@ts going on about 'oh yeah, you can 'do' Rome/Madrid/Paris/wherever, in two days etc. Now let me get my list so I can put a check after each thing I've 'experienced'.

Does it really matter? We're not 12 here.Merely trying to say I've been to a few places mentioned and want to try somewhere different.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Has to be somewhere in Germany, fabulous country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

West Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Leitrim, you'll appreciate your home much more when you return.

nothing wrong with leitrim, carrick is good spot on a weekend night and the ballinamore week long festival is one of the best in the country

on topic just save up and do the oktoberfest in munich and then head south for a few days to fussen and check out the scenery

Advertisement