Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private investor mortgage?

Options
  • 30-05-2012 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard of these? Apparently, they're big in the uk and USA but I can't find anything online about them in Ireland. Basically, a third party with money buys the house and their names go on the deeds til the mortgage is paid off. Although I don't know how many people have enough cash to spare for an extra house these days :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Has anyone heard of these? Apparently, they're big in the uk and USA but I can't find anything online about them in Ireland. Basically, a third party with money buys the house and their names go on the deeds til the mortgage is paid off. Although I don't know how many people have enough cash to spare for an extra house these days :D

You mean the same way that every mortgage is?
    Are you saying that at the end of this period you buy the house from the investor?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

If someone can put up around 25% of the purchase price of a property (plus legal fees, Stamp Duty etc.) and can qualify on income criteria, they can get a mortgage of around 75% of the purchase price of a property to buy it as an investment. Are you talking about something different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

No, basically somebody else buys the house and you make the repayments back to them (I'm presuming at an agreed interest rate) Cutting out the banks altogether. AFAIK it's done all above board through solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

No, basically somebody else buys the house and you make the repayments back to them (I'm presuming at an agreed interest rate) Cutting out the banks altogether. AFAIK it's done all above board through solicitors.

Ah I see. Not something I've heard over here to be honest. If you're both living in and eventually owning the house, presumably the monthly repayment incorporates capital, interest and rent. Which then begs the question - what's the advantage to either side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The nearest model here would be the rent to buy schemes in some developments. However you only rent for a short period, up to 3 years I think, before taking out a conventional mortgage and buying minus the rent already paid.

In your model I can't see the advantage for the mortgagee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement