Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher Festival

Options
  • 30-05-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys I'm heading up to the Rory festival in Ballyshannon with a couple of family members this weekend. I'm just looking for any insights as to how the festival is run from anyone who's attended it before. Things like drinking hours the best pubs for bands etc. I know the main acts are performing at a big top location in the town. We're also staying in Bundoran, will transport to and from Ballyshannon be an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spuddington

well i suggest you dont worry to much about pubs, they are usually crammed.bring your own cans, you can drink them on the street no bother. actually seen a guard pose for a picture holding cans. there will be stages set up in the town. one on the square, and one beside a pub on the back streets. you shouldnt have to much trouble getting up and down. hard to get out of ballyshannon, but once your out its smooth sailing then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I started a thread last year on this in my drunkenness, but in all honesty you have nothing to be worried about with regards the Rory Festival, it's the cleanest and nicest festival in all of Ireland. The best festival in the country if you ask me, hope you enjoy it man, I'll be there anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

One of the finest weekends in the country. You will have a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Been at this for the last four years. Won't make it this year unfortunately.

It's definitely the best festival I've ever been to. It's well run. The streets are clean again the next morning. I can never sleep more than a few hours after drink so I usually wake around six and stroll down to the shop and there are guys out on the street cleaning up. By eight am you wouldn't even know there was a festival on there.
    Most people are there for a good time, have yet to see anyone fighting at it, everyone is in a good mood and really friendly.
    The weather is usually brilliant every year also. Be prepared, I got burnt to a crisp three years ago. Invest in a hat.

Bands: You will see some really talented people at this. There are usually a few stages setup around the town during the day. There are also some acoustic sessions during the day in some pubs. If Barry Barnes is playing an acoustic set make sure you catch it. It's a great sing along and you can bring an instrument and join in too!

At night the action moves indoors to the pubs. Dicey Reilly's is definitely my favourite spot. Make sure to get there early to get a good spot. The band is usually on the left and up the stairs. The best bands also seem to play here.

On the Sunday evening the biggest gig usually takes place in Rory Gallagher Place (alongside Owen Roe's pub). All the big bands typically play this gig. Sinnerboy, Shinkicker etc. They even had some twin guitar stuff going on with Barry Barnes (Sinnerboy) joining Chris Stuckey (Shinkicker) for a few tunes. DAYCENT!

The late night gigs were always in the hotel up to now. They were good but you can usually see the same bands for free either outside or in another pub during the weekend.

Note for old guys (27) like me :D: If you actually want to sleep for a few hours a night then do not stay in the official campsite. It's full of guys screaming out of tune and guys turning bins upside down to use as gigantic bongo drums all night. The last two years we stayed at the Lakeside Campground where it's much more sedate. They have a restaurant there too so you don't have to walk a mile to the town if you're starving. About the same price as the official campsite too.

Lastly bands you have to see if they're there:

Barry Barnes/Sinnerboy (both acoustic and electric sets)

Brian Meakin Band (does a nice mix of blues like SRV, Rory etc, also played a version of Mistreated by Deep Purple which blew most people away last year)

Shinkicker/Chris Stuckey

Remember Rory (German band, really really good, even some cool drum solos and bass solos!)

That post was a little longer than I expected it to be!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Thanks for the replies lads, especially your detailed synopsis of the bands and artists Opinicus. Its good to hear everyone has had positive experiences, I'm really looking forward to this. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm with Opinicua in saying that Barry Barnes/Sinnerboy is definitely one to see, I've seen Sinnerboy play numerous times over the lest few years and 3 times under the new lineup since last year and there hasn't been one show which I haven't been blown away by. And Ballyshannon is definitely the right environment to see them play. Awesome stuff. But also don't forget the Pat McManus Band and Johnny Gallagher & Boxtie, two unmissable gigs at each festival, possibly the two best bands there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Heading to this in the morning, can't wait. I need to get myself a tent though as I left mine pitched in the campsite last year.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Planning on heading to it for the day tomorrow.

Official website is here

Shinkicker and Sinnerboy seem to have played last night, shame.

From tomorrow's lineup, is there any that I should make an effort to see? I'll possibly go to the Mark Black gig in the evening.

SUN 3rd June 2012

12pm - Guitar Session at the Bridgend Pub with Barry Barnes (Sinnerboy)
    12pm - Rock at the Gables LARRY MILLER BAND (UK), SHE’S A BEAUTY (Dublin) & SEAMIE O’DOWD BAND
    1pm - Acoustic Blues Session with Jed Thomas at Owen Roe's Bar
    3pm - GALA OPEN AIR CONCERT Rory Gallagher Place TONY DOWLER BAND (UK), THE SKINS (IRE) & THE LOOP (Germany)
    4pm - Blues ‘n Rock Guitar Session with Dave McHugh at Sean Og’s Bar
    7pm - BIG TOP CONCERT - HORSLIPS / PAT McMANUS BAND / MOONCHILD - Adm €30
    10pm - DAVE McHUGH BAND at Sean Og’s Pub
    10pm - CALLING CARD at the Lantern Bar
    10pm - MARK BLACK BAND at Owen Roe’s Bar
    10pm - LAUNDROMAT at Max Bar
    10pm - ZERO RESISTANCE at Bridgend Bar
    10pm - JED THOMAS BAND at Dicey Reilly’s Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Another enjoyable weekend at the festival. Numbers were down from previous years but again everything ran smoothly and I witnessed no antisocial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We'd a great weekend, I thought the layout of Ballyshannon suited a festival perfectly with everything being very central. We headed in from Bundoran early each afternoon and soaked up the music and pubs before strolling down to the big top in the evening. All the acts I saw delivered, I didn't feel disappointed by anyone. Also there was a lovely crowd at it, I met some wonderful people from all over the world. Apart from one mild scuffle on the streets on Sunday I witnessed no signs of bad behaviour, which was great considering the kind of antics I've seen at other festivals over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Anybody going to this Festival this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

Anybody going to this Festival this year ?

Yes, this will be my 5th year :D

I opened a new thread for the 2013 event

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056948159

thought maybe this one was dead.

I'm hopefully heading up to this in two weeks time. I'm a Rory Gallagher fan (obviously) but have very little exposure to his tribute bands.

http://www.rorygallagherfestival.com/

There's a lot of stuff going on that weekend. Can any festival veterans give advice on who/what to try and see and maybe some dos/don'ts ?

Trying to spare the magic beans (recession don't ya know!!) .. so am hoping to catch some of the free stuff during the day ..and maybe go along to the Marque on one night only...any suggestion which night ?

Any pubs during the day that would be lively ?

Going to be arriving Saturday lunchtime and heading home Monday Lunchtime. I have already ticked off Barry Barnes/SinnerBoy as a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Seamie O Dowd is definately one to see, he usually plays sat nights on the stage beside Owen Roes pub. I heard the Answer are playing this year

zombiepaw wrote: »
    Seamie O Dowd is definately one to see, he usually plays sat nights on the stage beside Owen Roes pub. I heard the Answer are playing this year

Thanks, will watch out for him.

Advertisement