Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power lost from sockets

• 30-05-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi All,

I did some searching on this but can't seem to find a solution. I hope this is the right place for this.

This evening I lost power in all sockets in the apartment. I checked the trip switches and one of MCB switches was about half-way down (kitchen sockets). I tried flicking it back up, but it wouldn't stay, so I flicked it down and then up and it stayed, but there was no change with the sockets.

I then noticed that the RCD was also resting in the middle. I tried pushing it up but it returned to the middle. I tried pushing it down and then up again and still it returned to middle. It won't even stay pushed down. I've unplugged all appliances in the apartment including fridge, dishwasher and washing machine but no luck. I also tried switching all the MCBs off and even setting the master switch off but nothing seems to help.

Can anyone advise what else to try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Sounds like an immersion problem ( water in element ). Do you have one and if so switch it off and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

In the end I got a sparks in and he determined there was a problem with the RCD switch itself. He sorted it out and then I was able to determine that it was the kettle at fault so will replace it and all will be well again.

Thanks for trying to help Nonmonotonic.

Advertisement