Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 VW Passat 130BHP brake issues....

Options
  • 30-05-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm having a braking issue with my 02 Passat and would be very grateful if someone had any advice for me (and other Passat owners as well, this is a common problem I think).

The problem is excessive dip on the brake pedal. With engine off, I pump the pedal a few times to create a hard pedal, with my foot still on the pedal, the engine is turned on and the pedal goes to the floor after about 5 or 6 seconds.

During normal driving the braking is ok but not brilliant, and as this is a safety issue I'd like to fix it properly. I was told by the guy who performed the NCT test that it is probably the result of water damage of the brake servo in the bulkhead.

As I haven't had any of the common water retention issues in the bulkhead, I wanted to know whether there is anything else that would cause this issue. The servo unit in my car is the double chamber unit and thus is very hard to source. I've rang several scrap yards with no success. A brand new unit costs around €220-€250 plus fitting.

Any advice is gratefully acknowledged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AeroEng1

I had the exact same problem with an Audi A4 about a year ago.

Replaced the brake servo and it was fine then.

Its not worth buying second hand anyway as its a fairly common problem and the second hand servo may not last too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rhythmfish

Might be the only solution, although I thought a dodgy servo would result in a harder pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭straight

Rhythmfish wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm having a braking issue with my 02 Passat and would be very grateful if someone had any advice for me (and other Passat owners as well, this is a common problem I think).

The problem is excessive dip on the brake pedal. With engine off, I pump the pedal a few times to create a hard pedal, with my foot still on the pedal, the engine is turned on and the pedal goes to the floor after about 5 or 6 seconds.

During normal driving the braking is ok but not brilliant, and as this is a safety issue I'd like to fix it properly. I was told by the guy who performed the NCT test that it is probably the result of water damage of the brake servo in the bulkhead.

As I haven't had any of the common water retention issues in the bulkhead, I wanted to know whether there is anything else that would cause this issue. The servo unit in my car is the double chamber unit and thus is very hard to source. I've rang several scrap yards with no success. A brand new unit costs around €220-€250 plus fitting.

Any advice is gratefully acknowledged.

@ Rhythmfish - Did you manage to get to the bottom of this issue. I have the same problem i think. My servo was slightly immersed in water alright but i have freed the water now. Maybe it will dry out?

Advertisement