Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1321842429356625922

Lol. Have to say, Schreiers reporting on this has been top notch throughout.

I love how he implies there is something wrong with having a large stock holding in the company you founded.

Gabe Newell got it right. Keep it all to yourself and tell everyone to go do something rude to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well someone won't be getting a review copy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Well someone won't be getting a review copy :pac:

At this stage CD must be trying to set up a sting operation to see who is leaking the emails, ala "it's Rebekah Vardy.." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

cnocbui wrote: »
    I love how he implies there is something wrong with having a large stock holding in the company you founded.

Gabe Newell got it right. Keep it all to yourself and tell everyone to go do something rude to themselves.
    That's not what he's implying in this context. The reasoning is pretty clear, especially when you read through the Investor Call transcript.
    Hi everybody. Still looking forward to visiting Night City. I’ve three questions. One question is to take the opposite tack and ask for assurance from you that you’re confident that this is enough time – because one could worry that – let’s suppose – you needed 7 weeks, which would have implied the game comes out in early January, which, commercially, is not a good time, and it’s the next financial year, so – are you confident this is enough time? Secondly, I’m sure you’ll receive some criticism for the extended crunch – will this relieve any pressure? And does this therefore mean that cash receipts will fall into the next financial year? And finally, have any refunds been requested because of the delay and do you think this could provoke requests for refunds? Thank you.
    The game slipping into the next financial year would have an immediate and detrimental effect on the stock price.

gizmo wrote: »
    That's not what he's implying in this context. The reasoning is pretty clear, especially when you read through the Investor Call transcript.

The game slipping into the next financial year would have an immediate and detrimental effect on the stock price.

You have missed the point of my criticism by a wide margin. I am not referring to the stock price or the date slipping, i was referring to some asshat American journalst called Jason Schreir, who said:
    Imagine working so many hours that in June your studio head sent out an email apologizing to everyone’s spouses/partners because it “often means [the devs] cannot participate on the home front” and then seeing quotes like this from an executive who owns $70 million in stock

It's the same as if he were criticising Steve Jobs for expecting his employees to work overtime and extra-hard to meet some deadline, because he's some rich POS capitalist who own hundreds of millions worth of shares in Apple.

People who found companies often end up with a significant number of shares in said companies, if they take them public - go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You have missed the point of my criticism by a wide margin. I am not referring to the stock price or the date slipping, i was referring to some asshat American journalst called Jason Schreir, who said:

It's the same as if he were criticising Steve Jobs for expecting his employees to work overtime and extra-hard to meet some deadline, because he's some rich POS capitalist who own hundreds of millions worth of shares in Apple.

People who found companies often end up with a significant number of shares in said companies, if they take them public - go figure.

He makes a very valid point though, if the company I worked for made me work 90+ hours, where my life feels like I'm being crushed by the effort, where I haven't seenmy kids in weeks, to the point that the owner sent around an email apologising to everyone, and then that same owner goes out into an interview and tells the world that what I'm going through isn't bad, and it never was?

I'd be fecking fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

You have missed the point of my criticism by a wide margin.
    The problem is that your criticism is off base. I'll try again...

Schreier was not implying there's anything wrong in having stock in the company he founded, he's pointing out how ****ty it is for someone in Kiciński's position to be downplaying the level of crunch which is currently being mandated at the company in order to ship the game before the end of the financial year. The reason this date is so important is because if the game slips into the next financial year, it will have a detrimental effect on the stock price, a fact that was alluded to in the investor call and something which Kiciński has a vested interest in maintaining due to his own holdings.

Not only has his own Studio Head, Adam Badowski, already apologised for this level of crunch but Kiciński himself has now apologised in a mail which has since been passed to Bloomberg.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1321857302115151873

Awww - boo hoo.
    I joined CDP few months before E3 2019, before I worked at a several AAA game development studios in North America and Europe. I was there for a crunch period before the show, getting the demo ready. Anyways, the pros:

-You got to work on the most anticipated game

-There is some really advanced tech under the hood to work on

-People are MUCH more motivated than at my previous jobs

-26 days of paid vacations + paid sick leave

-Paid overtimes: 150% during weekdays, 200% on weekends. I've never seen anything like that in North America - you get 100%, in best case, or it's "but you're getting bonus/some random time-off". Here you get a fair pay AND a bonus.

-Overtimes are optional: we had a meeting with a producer, who reiterated, that though they'd appreciate if we help, they don't want us to get tired and overworked. Few people of the team (including me) did some overtime, few didn't, I felt no peer-pressure. And again - I don't mind at all doing a few hours during a weekend for a DOUBLE money

-Salaries are HUGE in the local purchase power (even without a bonus). If I were to live in UK, I'd need 6 figures yearly salary in pounds, so I could afford the same life quality. I am not sure you can get this at any other gamedev studio working on a AAA single-player title

-The onsite gym and canteen are REALLY good and save a lot of time on commute - I was working out regularly even during crunch periods

-The feedback system is very transparent and you get feedback every month

-Last but not least - I really enjoy working with people which mean what they say, and which really need the work you do

More here: https://www.glassdoor.ie/Reviews/CD-PROJEKT-RED-Reviews-E644250.htm?countryRedirect=true

News Flash: American Journalist criticises evil European capitalists for wanting to get richer at expense of their employees hard work.

The irony is of epic proportions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The irony is of epic proportions.

What’s the irony? Schreier has reported extensively on crunch from American studios too. It just so happens this is a European one making a very big game at the moment, and also one that just happens to be shooting itself in the foot repeatedly by breaking promises about crunch. And then you have executives making communication errors of their own making, and repeatedly having to apologise to staff about decisions they’ve made.

Also, the amount of Glassdoor reviews there that point out issues around mediocre pay and poor work-life balance easily counter those who love working there unreservedly. Different employees have very different tolerances for very valid reasons.

Remember, CDPR are the ones that *actively approached* Schreier to big up their pledge to limit crunch not so long ago.

I like CDPR games. I like GOG. I like their regional pricing models, and their approach to DLC. I’m looking forwarded to seeing what their talented people have managed to pull off with Cyberpunk 2077. I also wish they didn’t force staff to work mandatory overtime for long stretches, and would be great for executives to not have to repeatedly backtrack on comments / promises he’s made publicly or to staff.

The irony lies in an American portraying capitalism negatively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

How many times does Schreier need to lie and sensationalise before people stop listening his pandemonium bait? He was an active GameJournoPros member from 2010 and obvious gatekeeper to date. He's generally despised despite what the usual boards suspects try to suggest.

https://twitter.com/nickjcal/status/1314586663750860801
    Schreier has reported extensively on crunch
    Yeah he has. Badly. The absolute travesty he helped concoct with the Jeremy Stieglitz situation in 2013 would've ruined the career of any journo outside the protection of his clique. Pretty much suspect the opposite of any narrative he attempts to spin. The more he criticises CDPR the more I warm to them. I couldn't believe how dorky he sounded on his pathetic interview with yong.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Remember when we used to just play video games lads? Good times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Real pity we are talking about this instead of what is going to be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I count at least 7 pages of crunch yap and Schreier shlong gobbling. But as soon as it's called out we suddenly need to "just talk about the game". Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for dismissing that shyte forever.

I'm not sure I want to play this with my current PC. I really feel like I'm in need of an upgrade from this 8 year old machine (admittedly with a 2016 GPU) to get the most out the game. I meet more than the minimum specs but it just feels like a waste to have to play 720p / medium settings for something they obviously invested a lot of time, effort and money into the graphics and presentation. And despite it being a single player title I sorta want to be playing it at least close to release to have that online buzz about all the things people haven't yet discovered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm not sure I want to play this with my current PC. I really feel like I'm in need of an upgrade from this 8 year old machine (admittedly with a 2016 GPU) to get the most out the game. I meet more than the minimum specs but it just feels like a waste to have to play 720p / medium settings for something they obviously invested a lot of time, effort and money into the graphics and presentation. And despite it being a single player title I sorta want to be playing it at least close to release to have that online buzz about all the things people haven't yet discovered.

I know the feeling. I'm currently rocking a 4670k and a 1060 3GB and it is really showing it's limits in other games (doesn't help my monitor is 1440p). Ideally I would like to eek out another year from it then upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 build next year on the cheap when the Ryzen 6000 series comes out but I'm not sure I can hold out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I count at least 7 pages of crunch yap and Schreier shlong gobbling. But as soon as it's called out we suddenly need to "just talk about the game". Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for dismissing that shyte forever.

What part of his reporting do you object to? Do you think he's wrong that CDPR are crunching? Or that perhaps it's not as bad as he says, despite the emails from staff saying that it's affecting them negatively?

I'll ask the mods if they want to separate this out into it's own thread, we can get back to talking about the actual game here then. Not that there's much to talk about really, what with the game not being out and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Smyths @ €55 best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

CWF wrote: »
    Smyths @ €55 best bet?

Probably yea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I honestly don’t see this being released in December I just can’t buy into that or any release date for this any more

It must be some seriously ****ed up performace issues to pull it from its planned and even paid advertising date

And even if it does make that planned release I’ve cancelled my preorder I’m gonna wait to see reviews on this one first now

biggebruv wrote: »
    I honestly don’t see this being released in December I just can’t buy into that or any release date for this any more

It must be some seriously ****ed up performace issues to pull it from its planned and even paid advertising date

And even if it does make that planned release I’ve cancelled my preorder I’m gonna wait to see reviews on this one first now

Apparently its running fine on everything other than last gen consoles, you really don't need to be that worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Markitron wrote: »
    Apparently its running fine on everything other than last gen consoles, you really don't need to be that worried.

That’s like the main market dude if it runs like ass on that it’s gonna be a ****storm

Me and the boys are ready for release day

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Take this with a pinch of salt but there are rumblings on twitter that is going to be delayed again. Cyberpunk twitter account hasn't tweeted in 10 days and the release date has been removed from the twitter bio (again, I don't know if the release date had been there previously so take this with another pinch of salt)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Take this with a pinch of salt but there are rumblings on twitter that is going to be delayed again. Cyberpunk twitter account hasn't tweeted in 10 days and the release date has been removed from the twitter bio (again, I don't know if the release date had been there previously so take this with another pinch of salt)

I had not heard this. People are saying they used something called wayback to look at previous versions of the page and the date was not there before.

I don't know and I hope not, but again I wouldn't be surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Good.

Unlikely to have my 3090 by then and Beyond Light, Valhalla out now and soon Godfall.

Damn you Covid and forcing me to stay in and play all of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Would be madness to delay again at this stage. They already had to pay to change marketing materials etc. Also, probably have TV ads etc paid for.

Don't get me wrong, delay the game until its done, but in this case a 2nd delay after a game has apparently gone gold would be unprecedented. Disks are probably being made right now for release, if they were not already underway after the gold announcement.

Some games changed there release date to avoid the new Cyberpunk release date. I forget the name of it, but it was an Xbox Series X game that delayed into Januaray to avoid Cyberpunk. So would be pretty crazy if they changed again.

AFAIK the source on this has been debunked numerous times today, and the date is front and center on the twitter bio.

Even if the game is a broken mess that runs at -7 fps and digitally spreads the coronavirus, they will still probably shove it out the door on the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

AFAIK the source on this has been debunked numerous times today, and the date is front and center on the twitter bio
    Ah good! Phew!
    Sorry for posting posting what now seem to be annoying internet rumours. I'm just bored and thought there might have been something in it! :D

Lockdown.....

Ah good! Phew!
    Sorry for posting posting what now seem to be annoying internet rumours. I'm just bored and thought there might have been something in it! :D

Lockdown.....

Dude fake news went out of fashion last Saturday, get with the times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

...the date is front and center on the twitter bio...

So 2077? :D

Advertisement