Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if this isn’t a disappointment to some degree. The level of hype online is out of control, especially with what we’ve actually seen of the game more recently. Those early demos were extraordinary, but (incredible character models aside) recent clips have been much more down-to-Earth and familiar.

I’ve no doubt it’ll be an extraordinarily technically accomplished game, of course, regardless of the overall gameplay quality - it’ll almost certainly be a few steps above anything else out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if this isn’t a disappointment to some degree. The level of hype online is out of control, especially with what we’ve actually seen of the game more recently. Those early demos were extraordinary, but (incredible character models aside) recent clips have been much more down-to-Earth and familiar.

I’ve no doubt it’ll be an extraordinarily technically accomplished game, of course, regardless of the overall gameplay quality - it’ll almost certainly be a few steps above anything else out there.

If it's 80% of the game Witcher 2 or 3 are, I'll be very happy tbf. Sure probably be some disappointment no matter what considering the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

No matter what state this game is in, it is going to cause uproar. It has been shrouded in hype and controversy for years, it already has armies of fanboy defenders and virtue-signaling haters ready to attack each other online.

If anyone needs any proof just take a quick look on Era, some extreme stuff.
    titan18 wrote: »
    If it's 80% of the game Witcher 2 or 3 are, I'll be very happy tbf. Sure probably be some disappointment no matter what considering the hype.

Pretty much where I am at. I am sure enough that it will be at least this good at launch. Probably not good enough to prevent the massive hype backlash or the polygon articles full of scorching-hot takes, but more than enough to be enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not expecting anything genre shattering either.

However if it's a good RPG with CD Projekts excellent writing and quest design that makes Bethesda and Bioware look like the chumps they are then I'll love it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not expecting anything genre shattering either.

However if it's a good RPG with CD Projekts excellent writing and quest design that makes Bethesda and Bioware look like the chumps they are then I'll love it.

This is exactly what I am expecting: Good RPG, so-so shooter, great writing, interesting world, dodgy technical performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Some of the stuff that's leaked out with the base xbox version looks very rough, it has this thing in it's visuals where it looks very artifacted on certain surfaces. Kind of like what you get with screen space reflections sometimes. Some sort of image reconstruction. That's aside from the fairly bare looking world (lack of NPC/cars, tho this seems to be an issue on lower end hardware. Series X has dense crowds in comparison) and weird bugs.

Of course these are leaked videos probably framed to make the game look at its worst 100% of the time, but it does look like it's coming in hot and yea I'm reckoning there's going to be some disappointment from people who aren't on next gen or PC.

Aside from all that I'm not getting the same sense as before that this really is much of a technical leap forward. My expectation is you have a world as dense and intricate as the Novigrad part of Witcher 3 blown up to GTA scale, could it live up to that promise I wonder. It's a really high target.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    This is exactly what I am expecting: Good RPG, so-so shooter, great writing, interesting world, dodgy technical performance.

And Keanu Reeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Speaking of the Soundtrack, this is such a choon.

The audio equivalent of odiferous garbage. But each to their own.

Some of the stuff that's leaked out with the base xbox version looks very rough, it has this thing in it's visuals where it looks very artifacted on certain surfaces. Kind of like what you get with screen space reflections sometimes. Some sort of image reconstruction. That's aside from the fairly bare looking world (lack of NPC/cars, tho this seems to be an issue on lower end hardware. Series X has dense crowds in comparison) and weird bugs.

Of course these are leaked videos probably framed to make the game look at its worst 100% of the time, but it does look like it's coming in hot and yea I'm reckoning there's going to be some disappointment from people who aren't on next gen or PC.

I'm gonna assume this leaked version is also running without the day 1 patch, which is aimed primarily at fixing performance on the last gen machines.
    Aside from all that I'm not getting the same sense as before that this really is much of a technical leap forward. My expectation is you have a world as dense and intricate as the Novigrad part of Witcher 3 blown up to GTA scale, could it live up to that promise I wonder. It's a really high target.

Judging by the map that leaked a while back, this doesn't look anywhere near as vast as the last few GTA maps.
    And Keanu Reeves.

Imagine if they released this game without Johnny Mnemonic. Would have been dead on arrival.

Probably but I don't have much faith in day 1 patches to completely turn a game around. Especially a complex open world game.

Regardless I'm playing this game anyway, there's such a weird culture war around this game on all sides that you kind of have to filter out a bit when it comes to judging it on its own merits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ye're all negative nancies, it's gonna be ****ing class.

Markitron wrote: »

Judging by the map that leaked a while back, this doesn't look anywhere near as vast as the last few GTA maps.

Well they're supposed to be going for greater density rather than purely having a large map, or at least that's what I took from it.

That's the key thing for me, if a cyberpunk based game took place on a largely flat map I'd be disappointed. It's got to be a dystopia with way too much stuff crammed together imo.

Really I'm mostly curious to see if they execute on that, even if the game space ends up being a bit small compared to other open worlds

Well they're supposed to be going for greater density rather than purely having a large map, or at least that's what I took from it.

That's the key thing for me, if a cyberpunk based game took place on a largely flat map I'd be disappointed. It's got to be a dystopia with way too much stuff crammed together imo.

Really I'm mostly curious to see if they execute on that, even if the game space ends up being a bit small compared to other open worlds

Give me small and dense any day over fun stretched way too thin over a sprawl.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is there any sense of how it will perform on lower-specced PCs? Given there's no such thing as a standard PC.
    FWIW, I've a GTX 970 which has been fine up to this point (matching current gen) but little above the minimum specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah the only place I want a lot of space in is the area outside the city. Size will matter there in being able to properly feel alone with mad-max atmosphere as well as speed for ages. Can't do that if you're always a 2 minute drive from a bustling city or hit invisible wall.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Is there any sense of how it will perform on lower-specced PCs? Given there's no such thing as a standard PC.
    FWIW, I've a GTX 970 which has been fine up to this point (matching current gen) but little above the minimum specs.
    Desperate for the verdict on lower spec'd machines. I've similar specs to you but given how modern games perform I just expect it to perform like ass no matter what, even though it shouldn't since it's on PS4 and my hardware is at least newer than that.

ixoy wrote: »

If they can get it to run on an OG XB1, your 970 should be fine for 1080p and lower settings. Just speculation though, I have no insight whatsoever.
    Give me small and dense any day over fun stretched way too thin over a sprawl.

You wouldn't last 5 minutes at Ubisoft

I have the PS4 Pro so hoping it performs relatively well on that. If it doesn't, CD Projekt Red have a mess on their hands if it only performs on new gen and higher end PCs. You'd imagine they've at least got good performance out of the better specced current generation console.

I have the PS4 Pro so hoping it performs relatively well on that. If it doesn't, CD Projekt Red have a mess on their hands if it only performs on new gen and higher end PCs. You'd imagine they've at least got good performance out of the better specced current generation console.

It looked fine in the footage they released tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I thought it looked surprisingly well in the footage they released a week ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

However the game ends up, it being ‘smaller’ and more dense than other open world game is 100% going to be one of the best things about it. Open world games have gotten out of control size-wise, something with a bit more focus is much-needed as a course correction. CD Projekt seem to understand that, to their credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yikes, looks like preload on PS5 and PS4 is 102GB
    WOhbzTu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

57.33g on pc, download just started there

**** sake, PC has less graphics than PS4, pre-order cancelled :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ha, if you try to open it after preloading from gog.

kVdX5D5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Reviews have just gone live

However the game ends up, it being ‘smaller’ and more dense than other open world game is 100% going to be one of the best things about it. Open world games have gotten out of control size-wise, something with a bit more focus is much-needed as a course correction. CD Projekt seem to understand that, to their credit.

The amount of times I've spent ages driving across an open world for ages with absolutely nothing to do. Beautiful looking environments but often boring.

Some of the reviews seem a bit mixed.

The actual metascore is high, but is about as useful to figuring out if a game is good as reading tea leaves these days (rdrII comes to mind), especially given that many outlets have not got code

Lots of bugs apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The amount of times I've spent ages driving across an open world for ages with absolutely nothing to do. Beautiful looking environments but often boring.

You would love any of the battlefield games. Your boots are welded to rails at all times and there's plenty of excitement incoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    One week to go. Just have to wait for it to start downloading on my Cyberpunk One X.
    Just found out I can play it on my Series X... woohoo!

Initially I thought the game was linked to my Cyberpunk console, but it's linked to my account so... woohoo!

Advertisement