Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

cnocbui wrote: »
    My son is a game developer/C Dev. I asked him how a next gen game would differ from a last gen and he said it basically wouldn't, apart from possibly some GPU API tweaks. He said the days of games being written from scratch for different platforms and intricately optimised are long gone. So if you think CDPR are going to, or have to, write a new version of the game from the ground up for it to properly run on a Series One X vs a One X, you are suffering under a misapprehension.

Not entirely true. It's far easier to compile code between systems as they are so similar but there's still an awful lot of optimisation that has to be carried out. Said API/GPU tweaks can take can take an awful long time when you are pushing a game to the limits of the consoles, if it's an indie that's not too graphically intensive you can effectively ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

dohboy wrote: »
    As someone who didn't buy it, I'm now excited to play it in six months.
    Exactly...
    As someone else said... we will get the super duper directors vision special edition for €40
    Jesus...what a mess this is turning into
    Sony have cut the legs off CDPR will now buy them out for $1 and make a mint on Witcher 4 :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Based on their conference call it sort of feels justified to call this a next gen game which was then sort of squeezed into last gen architecture, with disastrous results

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1338889217183805445

Well, they made a special edition last gen Xbox for this which sort of calls sh1t on that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Microsoft expanded their refund policy now too. Anyone who's bought off Microsoft store is eligible for a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Fúcking hell!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oooofff.
    Another developer asked whether CD Projekt’s directors felt it was hypocritical to make a game about corporate exploitation while expecting that their employees work overtime. The response was vague and noncommital.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1339974516034965504?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'll be surprised if they bounce back from this. A game with this much hype being kicked off the console stores is unprecedented.

I can't see a No Man's Sky fairytale ending either. NMS is a game that designed to keep people coming back with more things to explore and create. Cyberpunk has its world and its story set in stone. 99% of people don't come back to those games when the credits roll.

There was supposed to be multiplayer added to it down the road. Maybe that might be their chance at redemption. Can't see it happening though.

There was supposed to be multiplayer added to it down the road. Maybe that might be their chance at redemption. Can't see it happening though.

I think a third party are handling that.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't think CD Projekt Red will actually suffer that much. I mean they have already made there money back on the game and even if it doesn't reach life time sales expectations they will still likely make a reasonable profit on it. I suspect they will patch the PC and new generation of consoles into shape over the coming months and even the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro will probably be okay, struggle to see with what they can do with base last gen consoles though. The thing is we are at least 4-5 years away from there next big game and people have short memories when it comes to stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I don't know why people are surprised with the lack of customisation in Cyberpunk.

The Witcher didn't set the world on fire with custom stuff. Clothing you wore was stupid looking for the most part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Still bouncing around early act 2, not seeing many glitches, just minor stuff that looks silly but forgettable. I do find myself thinking about getting back to my Fallout 76 playthrough or maybe getting Valhalla as it's getting food reviews on here and i really shouldn't be thinking these things so early in the game. With the talks of the minor patch next week and big patch in January, I'm actually tempted to hold off on this and go back after the January patch to see if it does anything to make me enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Aha I'm reading all these posts and now I feel guilty for absolutely having a blast with this game (on PC).
    Cruising the streets of the megacity on the AKIRA bike in 1st person is better than any racing game I've ever played!
    There's a huge amount of cut content but the story missions are excellent and the side missions are fun as hell especially as you unlock upgrades.
    Surprised no one has mentioned the gun sound effects - they're fantastic - weapons are DOOM quality in feel and animation and most are hugely satisfying to use - yes even the pistols.
    Of course all this is tied to framerate - I wouldn't touch a first person shooter that ran under 60fps and this game is no exception, may have to stump up 900quid for a(nother) new GPU in the new year - will use it to heat the house.

Protip for any console players wanting to have a better experience - install the game on a SSD and this will fix a huge amount of issues. Both MS and SONY are guilty of cheaper out on PS4 and XB1 by shipping them with trash traditional spinning rust hard drives - PC gamers have been using SSD's for 10 years now - its both consoles biggest technical bottleneck by far.

https://i.imgur.com/hQljJ2a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if they bounce back from this. A game with this much hype being kicked off the console stores is unprecedented.

I can't see a No Man's Sky fairytale ending either. NMS is a game that designed to keep people coming back with more things to explore and create. Cyberpunk has its world and its story set in stone. 99% of people don't come back to those games when the credits roll.

I sadly see the same outcome, CDPR over-promised and under-delivered, although I had a fairly OK experience with the game the PS4/XBONE versions are pretty unacceptable. Sony removing the game completely from store fronts has gotta hurt with CDPR investors, PSN has some awful ****e on there.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I don't know why people are surprised with the lack of customisation in Cyberpunk.

The Witcher didn't set the world on fire with custom stuff. Clothing you wore was stupid looking for the most part too.

In fairness, the game allows you to customise the characters genitals but you never see them unless you look in the mirror. There's these bizarre unfinished aspects in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

purifol0 wrote: »
    Aha I'm reading all these posts and now I feel guilty for absolutely having a blast with this game (on PC).
    Cruising the streets of the megacity on the AKIRA bike in 1st person is better than any racing game I've ever played!
    There's a huge amount of cut content but the story missions are excellent and the side missions are fun as hell especially as you unlock upgrades.
    Surprised no one has mentioned the gun sound effects - they're fantastic - weapons are DOOM quality in feel and animation and most are hugely satisfying to use - yes even the pistols.
    Of course all this is tied to framerate - I wouldn't touch a first person shooter that ran under 60fps and this game is no exception, may have to stump up 900quid for a(nother) new GPU in the new year - will use it to heat the house.

Protip for any console players wanting to have a better experience - install the game on a SSD and this will fix a huge amount of issues. Both MS and SONY are guilty of cheaper out on PS4 and XB1 by shipping them with trash traditional spinning rust hard drives - PC gamers have been using SSD's for 10 years now - its both consoles biggest technical bottleneck by far.

https://i.imgur.com/hQljJ2a.jpg

That's truly corporate spin and greed driving this notion in my book. I was worried about that, I only had a 120gig ssd and not a penny to my name. So I had to use an old laptop platter hard drive. I'm getting acceptable load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Cheap SSDs are cheap now, when the base last gen consoles were launched they were still quite expensive, and having one would have added a significant chunk to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

An SSD plus a sata to USB adapter literally costs less than the game! You don't even need the adapter if you clone the super slow internal hard drive to the ssd.

Also the X box One X was launched Christmas 2017 - you actual beleive they shouldn't have put an SSD in it?
    Solid state was very cheap then and MS don't have to pay the 23% VAT and miiiight just get themselves a discount considering they'd be ordering oh about a million of em

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

When I had my One X I had replaced the HDD with a SSD. Very easy to do and just re-installed the HDD when I sold it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s actually not a major benefit to attaching an SSD to last gen consoles from what I understand. The architecture isn’t built around them. You’ll shave some time off loading times and boot up for sure, but you won’t see the transformative effect we’re seeing in the next-gen consoles which are wholly designed around fast drives.

I’d definitely recommend anyone with a PS5 or next-gen Xbox to use the internal SSD in this case, though, as it’s clearly a game that benefits from it.

2013 was a long time ago in terms of SSD tech, incidentally. I bought a 120gb drive for my PC in 2015 and that cost around 70-80 quid. Those sizes wouldn’t have cut it for the PS4 and Xbox One, which remember were cheap, low-cost consoles given the economic environment they emerged in. It’s only recently that SSDs have become viable for mass market general storage - and even then they’re still much more expensive than physical HDDs for larger file sizes (Id imagine most PC users still use a standard HDD for bulk storage). Hell, look at how much the new Xbox extended storage costs just to get the console up to a decent storage capacity.

Everything’s moved along now, thankfully, but definitely wouldn’t say the HDD is the deciding factor in the last gen consoles’ performance here - they’re clearly profoundly limited on a CPU and GPU level too, but mainly because the game just wasn’t optimised properly. Some absolutely staggeringly beautiful and technically advanced games were released on the PS4 this year in a very stable state, so something went uniquely wrong in this case.

• Advertisement

I think about games on PS4 like God of War, RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2... all gorgeous looking games. But according to some folks the PS4 is a piece of garbage that can't run anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Everything’s moved along now, thankfully, but definitely wouldn’t say the HDD is the deciding factor in the last gen consoles’ performance here - they’re clearly profoundly limited on a CPU and GPU level too, but mainly because the game just wasn’t optimised properly. Some absolutely staggeringly beautiful and technically advanced games were released on the PS4 this year in a very stable state, so something went uniquely wrong in this case.

But a lot of those games don't come close to the scope of Night City though, environmentally speaking. There is just such a volume of assets on display, I really think even in the best case scenario the last gen versions would not look anywhere near as good as God of War, RDRII, Ghost etc.

TLOUII is an amazing looking game but it doesn't take place in a multi tiered world full of verticality and highly detailed assets in each and every direction with a day/night cycle. All this stuff adds up

Out of all the issues with Cyberpunk I never really doubted that it would be a game to crush people's systems, even high spec ones. It isn't the new 'Crysis' for nothing. I think the devs deserve at least a little bit of slack on this point anyway

But a lot of those games don't come close to the scope of Night City though, environmentally speaking. There is just such a volume of assets on display, I really think even in the best case scenario the last gen versions would not look anywhere near as good as God of War, RDRII, Ghost etc.

TLOUII is an amazing looking game but it doesn't take place in a multi tiered world full of verticality and highly detailed assets in each and every direction with a day/night cycle. All this stuff adds up

Out of all the issues with Cyberpunk I never really doubted that it would be a game to crush people's systems, even high spec ones. It isn't the new 'Crysis' for nothing. I think the devs deserve at least a little bit of slack on this point anyway

Totally agree it’s a next-gen game, and a technically advanced one that certainly is more demanding than other games (I wish a bit more effort went into something other than raw graphics, but that’s neither here nor there!). I’ll give it slack in the sense I can fully understand why it’s melting the last-gen consoles.

I’d have zero problem if they said ‘this is a next-gen game, it’s not going to work on PS4 and XB1’. It’s actually probably what they should have done, shareholders be damned quite frankly. But ultimately it all boils down to them selling this as a viable product to PS4 and XB1 owners, and it’s cheeky as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

A PSA from reddit, there's reports of people getting corrupted saves once they start to get above 6mb (the linked thread seems more like 7 or 8 mb)

https://old.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kfpwt5/psa_steampc_crossing_about_6_mb_in_your_save/

Seems to be caused by the auto dissamble perk adding lots of crafting data to the save file. My save file is 5mb, had a look and it's all encrypted .DAT so doesn't seem like there's much can be done right now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A PSA from reddit, there's reports of people getting corrupted saves once they start to get above 6mb (the linked thread seems more like 7 or 8 mb)

https://old.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kfpwt5/psa_steampc_crossing_about_6_mb_in_your_save/

Seems to be caused by the auto dissamble perk adding lots of crafting data to the save file. My save file is 5mb, had a look and it's all encrypted .DAT so doesn't seem like there's much can be done right now

Yeah it seems to be a widespread issue. GOG are highlighting it. Whatever about the dissatisfaction at the minute, there are about to be a whole load more people annoyed when their hours of gameplay essentially disappear.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Saved data is damaged and cannot be loaded

Unfortunately the save is damaged and can't be recovered.

Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials.

If you have used the item duplication glitch, please load a save file not affected by it.

The save file size limit might be increased in one of the future patches, but the corrupted files will remain that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I picked this up on PC on release day but with the mess it was in decided to leave it until today to properly try after a few patches. Played through the first mission, watched my partner walkthrough a closed elevator door and thought well that's just funny more than a big deal, got in and was prompted to open the phone, which I have done earlier, and no dice just dip**** in here with me constantly telling me to open it. I remap my keys as I use an Orbweaver, again the remapped key worked everywhere else but I couldn't open it here until I reset the keys to default (I had tried the default T key from my original modified keymap and it didn't work either until the full reset). **** sake, not 10 minutes into this proper and the gob****es can't even handle remapped keys in their tutorial. Turned off again for another few weeks and hopeful patching I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

purifol0 wrote: »
    An SSD plus a sata to USB adapter literally costs less than the game! You don't even need the adapter if you clone the super slow internal hard drive to the ssd.

Also the X box One X was launched Christmas 2017 - you actual beleive they shouldn't have put an SSD in it?
    Solid state was very cheap then and MS don't have to pay the 23% VAT and miiiight just get themselves a discount considering they'd be ordering oh about a million of em

Unless we're heading to something like CP runs perfectly on base consoles, you only need to upgrade tehm with a SSD, it's pointless to debate it. They don't have SSDs, most of the owners didn't upgrade them, so a game launched for them must assume they are just the way they left the factory.
    They don't pay VAT on any component, we pay VAT on the final price. At launch time, if my memory serves me well, a good 500G SSD was about 150-200E retail price, that's a huge chunk of the console retail price, and it's exactly the same for VAT free prices.

There’s actually not a major benefit to attaching an SSD to last gen consoles from what I understand. The architecture isn’t built around them. You’ll shave some time off loading times and boot up for sure, but you won’t see the transformative effect we’re seeing in the next-gen consoles which are wholly designed around fast drives.

I’d definitely recommend anyone with a PS5 or next-gen Xbox to use the internal SSD in this case, though, as it’s clearly a game that benefits from it.

2013 was a long time ago in terms of SSD tech, incidentally. I bought a 120gb drive for my PC in 2015 and that cost around 70-80 quid. Those sizes wouldn’t have cut it for the PS4 and Xbox One, which remember were cheap, low-cost consoles given the economic environment they emerged in. It’s only recently that SSDs have become viable for mass market general storage - and even then they’re still much more expensive than physical HDDs for larger file sizes (Id imagine most PC users still use a standard HDD for bulk storage). Hell, look at how much the new Xbox extended storage costs just to get the console up to a decent storage capacity.

Not sure about PS5 but putting a Series X game (one that is rated as Series X enhanced) on an external drive of any description is effectively like putting it in cold storage. It will not let you play it there. Has to be run from the internal SSD. Handy in that it saves you having to delete stuff to make space but could involve a bit of juggling down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077

And it begins, redengine is one of the easiest engines to mod for.

Give a month and there will be some decent mods.

• Advertisement

Not sure about PS5 but putting a Series X game (one that is rated as Series X enhanced) on an external drive of any description is effectively like putting it in cold storage. It will not let you play it there. Has to be run from the internal SSD. Handy in that it saves you having to delete stuff to make space but could involve a bit of juggling down the line.

I’m talking more in terms of the currently available version! The next gen version is going on the SSD whether you like it or not :) But definitely worth popping the last-gen version on the next-gen SSD for anyone playing that way.

Advertisement