Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've played enough at this stage to say that stealth and hacking basically aren't viable strategies. It is quicker, easier and less frustrating to simply go all guns a blazin' (and katanas - the swords are overpowered to the point of being broken). The hacking options are at best a supporting tool - but there's no room for emergent or surprising consequences from using them. if you've used a daemon once you've seen all it has to offer. There was one encounter yesterday where I saw a character standing in front of a furnace. There was an option to overload it - thought that'd be an immediate wipe out. But no, it lightly singed him and he was back in his idle state almost immediately.

The stealth is severely limited and one-note, and the game spaces are not interesting enough to take advantage of it (in stark contrast to something like Hitman, Dishonored or Deus Ex). The combat is pretty frustrating on its own terms, but frankly it's the least tedious way to get through some of the bigger encounters so kinda wins by default.

The loot system is a cluster**** of head-scratching proportions. There's little joy in finding a new good weapon because the game throws so much crap at you. Crafting is a mess, the buying / selling economy is a mess, and the menus are beyond a mess. The skill trees (so many of the bloody things) are joyless to work through - the rare useful skills are sandwiched between a dozen small, incremental and often borderline useless buffs.

Why do I even persist with the game? Well I think I like the interactions with the characters enough that those occasional high points are just about enough of a driver to push me through the sea of crap that exists in between. The game is at its best when it embraces its inner visual novel over its open world / RPG / emergent sim elements.

Hacking absolutely is a viable strategy. The perks and upgrades can even make it completely over powered to the point that you can wipe everyone in an area out without being anywhere near them. I haven't specced into it myself but look up some videos and you will see just what it can do. If anything I think it's the most overpowered skill because the risk of getting killed is so much lower because you can do it from such a distance. Personally I'm loving the gorilla arms right now. Rush in and smash everyone in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

The stealth is severely limited and one-note, and the game spaces are not interesting enough to take advantage of it (in stark contrast to something like Hitman, Dishonored or Deus Ex). The combat is pretty frustrating on its own terms, but frankly it's the least tedious way to get through some of the bigger encounters so kinda wins by default.

That's a fustating thing. I wish you could sell it a stealth em-up. I found one really great area that I really enjoyed. What am I supposed to do though? Drive for an hour, possibly two and hope to wander into another? They have fixer npc's scatterd around with some dialogue. That hint's at a different more streamlined system for jobs that got delayed. And it has to be delayed, not cut, as they need to streamline the jobs.

mmm I don't know about that... I guess the stealth takes commitment in the right trees. (btw I hated the stealth in Mankind Divided because it required energy/battery for a CQ takedown which was just stupid)

It does. And the only reason I did it was because the Valentinos were so boss. I love it. Where would you find it, a stand out gang that's hard just because they are. Brings me back to my childhood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Just reading there that if you save file goes over 8mb in size it can get corrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A new Deus Ex or Human Revolution getting a next-gen lick of paint would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

J. Marston wrote: »
    A new Deus Ex or Human Revolution getting a next-gen lick of paint would be great.

I'd give anything for the original Dues Ex on a new engine.
    Do not literally touch anything else or change it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Blazer wrote: »

JC Denton...in the fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Blazer wrote: »

It does feel like the big thing people seem to miss on everyone of these post Deux Ex Games is how much of that game worked from it's sheer brilliant level design.

That opening level is genius game design and cyberpunks much more restricted early segments is a poor comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Played the act 2 mission where
    you try to save Alt from Arasaka as Johnny.
    I loved it gameplay wise but hated
    the weird skips they'd do with the static effect. Felt like they didn't have time/couldn't be bothered to finish the cutscenes and made the whole thing feel cheap.

Also the concert they throw to distract the guards at Arasaka tower had like 20 people at it. I wasn't expecting a Lord of the Rings level scene but it really undermined the feeling of going up against a giant corporation.

The trophy for killing 3 enemies quickly with a revolver seems to be completely broken in my game. I'm running a revolver build so was surprised I hadn't gotten it already but I definitely did it five times in the last hour but it still didn't register.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Installed patch, loaded game, went to settings to see they were default. Changed them but couldn't edit the settings, had to close the game and boot again. Got a message saying settings file corrupted. Was able to create new settings, hopefully they stick this time.

Game is actually looking better and playing smoother for me, actually took some pics in photo mode and looks good. HDR looks better but still not as vibrant as HDR disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Installed patch, loaded game, went to settings to see they were default. Changed them but couldn't edit the settings, had to close the game and boot again. Got a message saying settings file corrupted. Was able to create new settings, hopefully they stick this time.

Game is actually looking better and playing smoother for me, actually took some pics in photo mode and looks good. HDR looks better but still not as vibrant as HDR disabled.

what system you on

biggebruv wrote: »
    what system you on

PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

PS5

Same happened me yesterday, seems fine after that

Still getting the odd crash though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Iv seen YouTube vid that actually says hdr is broken in this game that your better off playing it without it

biggebruv wrote: »
    Iv seen YouTube vid that actually says hdr is broken in this game that your better off playing it without it

Yeah but they said they made hdr 'warmer' in the patch so wanted to try it again but still not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

"Charged" weapons not working for anyone else?

Have Comrades Hammer and have tried dropping it and reequipping it and it wont charge :/

Tried other guns and none the charged guns ehh charge, have "the up to 11" perk maxed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Panam is one of my fave characters - and Jackie is hard to top so that's saying something. I thought I had reached the end of her quest line with the couch scene as the goodbyes that followed the morning after was the perfect ending but I found out she apparently has more side quests after that... Whatever comes next better be explosive because to me that was perfect. It was also at this moment, in a rare time the world actually looked pretty on PS4, that I discovered that you can change poses and stances in photo mode... I'm never gonna finish this game lol.

I really like the characters you meet and how you can call them to have a chat. I often find myself riding the city wondering when I'll hear from them again. The radio music is pretty good too.

One thing that I'm not keen on from a gameplay standpoint is that I'm always broke mainly because some the main quests ask for huge sums just to encourage you to do the side quests which I would have done anyway. The expense seems reasonable but I feel like the game is a bit too stingy with financial rewards And why is everybody trying to sell me cars???

I know there are missable trophies that can be obtained through save scumming but I think I'll just platinum the game when I get the PS5.

If you really want to get one back on the economy in this game, look up the Space Oddity side quest glitch. It’s ridiculous for making lots of cash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The way cash is dished out definitely needed several more balance passes. You just don’t make enough money playing the game to experiment with the tools. Shouldn’t take a money-making glitch to even things out. Not the first game to fall into this trap, of course, and it can be patched somewhat I’m sure... but yeah they need to give you a few extra thousand for some side quests and cut 50% off the prices in a fair few of the shopsx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

The AI really is a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

xtal191 wrote: »
    The AI really is a mess

It just looks so half-arsed which is shocking considering the hours that they've put it into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

No excuses for the AI but the fact that people are so heavily comparing this to GTA shows really how messed up people's expectations were. Was there ever a big market demographic crossover between the kind of games CDPR make and Rockstar?

But since everyone seems to be sucking off GTA V so much (a game I personally loathe) let's not forget this

Everyone thinks GTA V's AI is some kind of masterpiece. NPCs can basically do nothing but attack you for performing almost any action.

Looking at the demos I can understand why people would think the NPC AI would work something like GTA (procedurally generated NPC's) versus something like Skyrim (hand tailored NPC's).

How else would they pull off a city full of NPC's without going down the GTA route?

Found this guy and gal in one of the markets. When I went up to the guy he say's to me. ''You must really like whoreing.'' :D

photomode-21122020-182541.png

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

If you really want to get one back on the economy in this game, look up the Space Oddity side quest glitch. It’s ridiculous for making lots of cash

f... me !

I sold the painting straight away and have no clue where/to whom.

Anyhow selling all the weapons and other loot things brought me to 300k anyway.
    Bought some very expensive car which don't corner and have poor max speed :-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also remember gta's quest design is drive somewhere, shoot brain dead enemies, drive to another location, do the same. Every damn time. It's regressed from the massive amount of variety in the ps2 era games into boring. At least the world is fun to mess around in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

No excuses for the AI but the fact that people are so heavily comparing this to GTA shows really how messed up people's expectations were. Was there ever a big market demographic crossover between the kind of games CDPR make and Rockstar?

But since everyone seems to be sucking off GTA V so much (a game I personally loathe) let's not forget this

Everyone thinks GTA V's AI is some kind of masterpiece. NPCs can basically do nothing but attack you for performing almost any action.

GTA 5 pretty much turned me off gaming. I played GTA 4 for a crazy amount of time, and then couldnt understand why I disliked 5 so much.. just wasn't fun. Was only when I saw that crowbcat vid you linked there a few years back that i understood! They took all the fun out of the game and made it a boring chore.

Follow up post patch on the HDR , jesus I wish I had this guys resources, knowledge and time. Again tldr HDR is ****e in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

you'd have thought the devs would have figured out the hdr wasn't working, you know by looking at it

Advertisement