Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last minute aural preparation

• 30-05-2012 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I'm terrible at the German aural. I constantly ignored my teacher's advice to do 10 minutes a night. I got about 42/80 in the aural section in the mocks. I know, it's completely my own fault, but is there any way of improving this late in the day? It's not exactly something you can cram, so would doing a few past years help me out at this stage? Apart from past papers, does anyone know of any good resources where I could listen to some German? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I always found Deustche Welle a great way to listen to German. You can download an app on your iPod/iPhone and it has news broadcasts and the likes. :) For myself I'm mainly focusing on doing Part 4 and Part 2 of Germal aurals. Most people seem to fall down in the Part 2 (at least I think it's part 2..yano the one you have to answer in German anways) and part 4 is predictable enough with the weather and that.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thanks, I'll have a look at that! :) Yeah part 2 and part 4 are definitely the worst. What I usually find in part 2 is I know what's going on but I can't actually phrase it in German the way I want to, it's very annoying. Part 1 is the easiest I think, and part 3 is grand enough once you figure out who the two people are.

Yeah, I love 1 and 3. :D You'll most likely go up in the acc thing though, if you had the same aural as me for the mocks (the one about the green nuns or something) then it was really hard. I only 24/80. Whereas I did two full aurals again in class last week and got nearly full marks in parts 1 and 3, half/slightly more than half in parts 2 and 4. If I have improved that much since the mocks then I reckon everyone has. :pac:

Yep that's the one, what an awful exam :pac: Why does everything in German have to be so fecking weird, none of the listening/reading comprehensions are ever about anything normal :P My personal favourite was part 2 one year where the fella needed 1000 sausages.

I can't remember what year my personal favourite appeared on, but it was about a girl who got a special cake mix packet in the mail because it was sent to the wrong address, she fed some of it to her cat, brought it back to the actual owner who invited her around for the cake, came back home and the cat was dead. Poisonous cake mix. Only in German the German exam paper. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Or the year the guy comes out of his Maths exam and gets a text saying "We're following you"

Or the one where woman tries to sell her daughter on ebay...

Did that comprehension just the other week actually! I've spoken to French students, they don't have anything that weird on their papers. I'm genuinely scared of not understanding what is going on in the comprehension because they're just so ridiculous. Like that one in the mock - all I could gather from that was man gets on train, stares at pretty girl, then coincidentally has a blind date with her.

Or the year the guy comes out of his Maths exam and gets a text saying "We're following you"

Or the one where woman tries to sell her daughter on ebay...

Hahaha no way, what year is that from? :P I've done the one about the text, not that one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Am I the only one that loves the aural? We've done one every week since the start of fifth year, starting with horschatz or whatever that book was, then working through all exam papers, then through all pres from something like the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

finality wrote: »
    Am I the only one that loves the aural? We've done one every week since the start of fifth year, starting with horschatz or whatever that book was, then working through all exam papers, then through all pres from something like the last ten years.

Yup your the only one :p I have a grand total of 4 aural exams to my name including 3 we did in class. My Horthemen is empty. I mean we didn't even get the CD with the book -_-

• Advertisement
Advertisement