Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh look....the Occupy crowd have something to say again.

• 30-05-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Approximately ten people from the Occupy Dame Street crowd have begun a protest in the offices of the Referendum Comission.

They are basically saying that there are anomalies in the referendum literature and that it is full of false statements in order to achieve a 'Yes' vote.

Story here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0530/breaking37.html

Do these people think that by occupying buildings whenever they want to get their point across is an effective way to achieve this.

Once again, very lazy activism.

Blocking entrance to the building. F**k off like. Who do you think you are? Go back to your parents basement.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

They need to get jobs and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Who is this Like that you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

What started as a fairly good demonstration technique devolved when asshats with no clue decided to join in, and of course they were the ones that had their voices heard. Gobsh!tes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

blow69 wrote: »
    Once again, very lazy activism

Its the ones who sit at home moaning but never do anything that are lazy. Fair play to them for doing something they believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Approximately ten people from the Occupy Dame Street crowd have begun a protest in the offices of the Referendum Comission.

They are basically saying that there are anomalies in the referendum literature and that it is full of false statements in order to achieve a 'Yes' vote.

Story here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0530/breaking37.html

Do these people think that by occupying buildings whenever they want to get their point across is an effective way to achieve this.

Blocking entrance to the building. F**k off like. Who do you think you are? Go back to your parents basement.

Bit late in the day, considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Its the ones who sit at home moaning but never do anything that are lazy. Fair play to them for doing something they believe in.

By blocking an entrance to a building? What does this achieve? Nothing.

Go occupy a job or an activity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Damn hippies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

At least they are doing something

As usual, they have a point but they're going about getting it heard the wrong way.

In my mind, the referendum commission have lost all pretence of impartiality from the get go, by consistently referring to the treaty as the "stability treaty", which is not its actual name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

John Doe1 wrote: »
    At least they are doing something

True. Doing it the day before polling is a bit pointless though, I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'm a no voter making my decision for solid economic reasons (tying ourselves constitutionally to what is, in fact, quite a radical policy doesn't seem wise to me). I'm bloody spitting about this.

By doing this, and releasing such a profoundly stupid statement, they've added credence to the 'sure do you want to be seen with that shower in the no camp?' argument. The 'no' side may have a Nobel Prize winning economist in their corner, but now people who can't otherwise justify the treaty can happily point to the nutters campaigning for a no vote.

Muppets, absolute muppets.

If I was as paranoid as the #occupy shower seem to be, I'd suspect an agent provocateur in their midst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, it'd be much better if they were voicing their opposition online rather than actually doing something.

occupy jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I agree that this was ineffective as a single protest but as an ongoing campaign it may drum up support. Yes 10 people outside a building is no big deal but imagine 100,000 people turning up to protest in the same way.

Maybe the first person to be brought to court over the household charge as an example. If 10 people where outside the court then they would be ridiculed by people and the media and people on forums like this. If 100,000 turn up then its a different story.

These type of movements will only grow as democracy is eroded by the markets, banking institutions and unelected bureaucrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Occupying an entrance to a building isn't going to get you anywhere. It's too peaceful for a protest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the people inside can just leave when they sign on surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

As usual, they have a point but they're going about getting it heard the wrong way.

In my mind, the referendum commission have lost all pretence of impartiality from the get go, by consistently referring to the treaty as the "stability treaty", which is not its actual name.
    "The Treaty on Stability, Co-ordination and Governance in the Economic and Monetary Union" is a bit of a mouthful, don't you think? :rolleyes: And it would still have Stability in the name

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Any kind of protest is frowned upon in this country. :(

WTF has happened to all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Oppose the State, fight the power, give me my dole money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Clearly it is when everyone is talking about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Instead of voting no....theyre going to be in some building doing nothing? Twisted way of changing things me thinks

28064212 wrote: »

"The Treaty on Stability, Co-ordination and Governance in the Economic and Monetary Union" is a bit of a mouthful, don't you think? :rolleyes: And it would still have Stability in the name

Why not use the official short form title: fiscal compact?

Instead the yes commission decided to make up their own positive sounding title.

Don't get me wrong I am not hardcore anti treaty, but I have been less than impressed by the referendum commision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Occupy a shower for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Weren't they protesting for the guy who got evicted from his €1.2m house and owned over 30 other properties? But they say "we are the 99%"?

They can fúck right off, their credibility was shakey before that, now is in minus figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Oppose the State, fight the power, give me my dole money

Yea, we should rely on the good people to support us when we protest.

The right to protest is a democratic right, the fact that you single out people struggling on welfare, speaks volumes about the type of person and thinker you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Why not use the official short form title: fiscal
    compact?
    There is no "official short form" title
    Instead the yes commission decided to make up their own positive sounding title.
    Make up? By using three of the first four words in the full title?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Varied wrote: »

The right to protest is a democratic right, the fact that you single out people struggling on welfare, speaks volumes about the type of person and thinker you are.

i think that if they had jobs they would have trouble explaining their stupid waste of time to their employer, its a fairly logical conclusion that these fellas have no jobs and alot of free time to cause mischief for people who have jobs, thats the depressing part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

We get it. You are superior to them.

Good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

So a group of 10 people had an issue and now you know about their protest and what they are protesting about but you think that they achieved nothing by blocking the entrance to a building?

How would you have brought an issue like theirs to the attention of the general public in a better way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Mayo, please take your protestors back.

Domo230 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled pro treaty thread.

Thinly veiled generic Boards statement.
    Doc wrote: »
    So a group of 10 people had an issue and now you know about their protest and what they are protesting about but you think that they achieved nothing by blocking the entrance to a building?

How would you have brought an issue like theirs to the attention of the general public in a better way?

Just because myself and many others now know about this protest doesn't mean they have achieved anything.

Any nationwide sit-in is always reported in the media. Labeling themselves as the Occupy crowd isn't exactly doing them any favors either.

What exactly were these people expecting to happen/achieve the day before the treaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Gotta love these people, protesting against the state by sitting outside buildings moaning, all the while heading off every tuesday morning to sign on and get more free money from the state to enable them to do nothing all week. Right lads sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

bluewolf wrote: »
    occupy jobs

We can't, he's dead. :(

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Varied wrote: »
    Any kind of protest is frowned upon in this country. :(

WTF has happened to all of us.
    You're surprised that people are getting fed up with jobless fcukwits making a nuisance of themselves when the rest of us have to get up every day to go to work so that these arsewipes can get their dole money?

Really?

They scrounge off the state, how dare they try and lump themselves in with the actual taxpayers who are being fcuked over! Chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is there some sort of vote about something on? What's it about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Surprised that they haven't been kicked out of the building yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah seriously people, it's not a protest, it's a publicity stunt. Just like Sinn Fein's high court challenge. If they thought they'd had a point, they'd have brought it up a lot sooner. But by bringing it up just before the vote, it'll be fresher in peoples minds.

That's what these clowns are doing now. They had plenty of time to object properly and instead of doing that, they try for a spectacle. It's aimed at those who aren't sure how to vote, in the hopes that it might make them believe that it's all a conspiracy against them.

The only thing that surprises me is that FG/Lab haven't tried something similar, but being gobsh*tes they'd only muck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

There was a time in this country when we had a labour movement but that was taken over by the same greedy element that took over everything else including our bloody Stability.

Maybe the” Occupy Crowd” are going about it the wrong way but I applaud anyone who is prepared to demonstrate. Writing the same old “Daily Mail” Headlines that they are a bunch of smelly, jobless, hippies who are to bloody lazy to go out and get a job LIKE, is the ultimate lazy argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I remember when they used to just occupy trees in Glen of the Downs. Now they are in proper buildings. How quickly they have evolved.

awec wrote: »
    You're surprised that people are getting fed up with jobless fcukwits making a nuisance of themselves when the rest of us have to get up every day to go to work so that these arsewipes can get their dole money?

Really?

They scrounge off the state, how dare they try and lump themselves in with the actual taxpayers who are being fcuked over! Chancers.

Hmmmm....far more people on the dole were working even a couple of years ago than were not. As such, the economic downturn has cost them far more than it has cost you. I think they have more to protest about with regard to their situation that you do I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hmmmm....far more people on the dole were working even a couple of years ago than were not. As such, the economic downturn has cost them far more than it has cost you. I think they have more to protest about with regard to their situation that you do I have to say.
    Perhaps if they put as much effort in to getting themselves a job and contributing to society as they did to moaning, whinging and camping in the street they'd be better off?

There's a massive irony in these people who live off the taxpayer, protesting about the taxpayer being fcuked over. I feel fcuked over that my taxes are funding their little parties! :mad:

awec wrote: »
    Perhaps if they put as much effort in to getting themselves a job and contributing to society as they did to moaning, whinging and camping in the street they'd be better off?

No doubt.

All we have to do is have a massive upswing in the current rate of job creation and I reckon everyone would be happy.

I have to say, your "try harder" attitude is as wishy-washy and self serving as their protesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

They should just post about this stuff on internet message boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Attention from the media

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Yea get a government initiative job in Tescos, go on learn how to pack shelves for yourselves. What Tescos are a high profit company? The 50euro wont cover my lunch and bus fares? Tescos wants higher profits so shut up and get a job scrubbing their floors.

Attention from the media

...which leads to?

People switching positions on polling day?

The protesters informing people on the Treaty and offering an unbiased opinion?

Nope and nope.

Let's just sit here and assume people know what we are about.

Lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

All of the bleating from both sides is depressingly futile though, isn't it?

No matter what happens, we Irish will always revert back to our tried and tested method of "go to work, keep your head down, don't rock the boat and shut up, know your place paddy, we know what's good for you".

And on and on until the sun eventually kills us all.

Advertisement