Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Entry to Veterinary Medicine Offers

Options
  • 30-05-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi folks

I was wondering if anyone could tell me when UCD send their offers out for their graduate entry programme into veterinary medicine? I've been scouring the internet and my correspondence with UCD for an answer but can't seem to find a mention of it anywhere. I have a vague memory of being told June, but I was hoping someone could confirm or deny this for me.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 angel0

Hi,
    I called them to check last week and they said that they should be sending out offers sometime this week probably. Havent gotten anything yet though, has anyone else heard anything?? The suspense is killing me..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Panda_Spooker

Thanks angel, I resorted to calling them last week and got the same response. I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm going a bit crazy myself. I'll let you know if I get anything.

Angel, I got a telephone call today to let me know. So I'm sure you'll be hearing very soon. Best of luck! :-)

Hey Panda Spooker,

I got a call from them last Thursday too! Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

July 1 for me is when my letter arrived last year, so should be out soon if you haven't gotten a call. Good luck all :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Wisco. Did you start via the graduate entry last year?

Does that mean I'll be meeting you in September Angel? :)

Yeah, I did, although sadly for me and my wallet I'm in the 5 year grad programme. 4 or 5 year though, you'll love it, I know I do. Best decision I ever made! If youre in the 4 year I guess we will be classmates eventually though :)

Yes Panda_Spooker, looks like we will be classmates in September! Cant wait now.. absolutely delighted to have gotten in!
    And we should be classmates the following year Wisco! Glad to hear your happy with your decision to go back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChSH

Hi Wisco. You said you are in the 5 year vet program DN300, and you started last year? I have one question about that. If you are a non-sceince graduate within DN300, what was the first year like in terms of handling the sciences? Could you give any advice on how you would have used July and August to be better prepared for the first year of DN300 as a non-science graduate entry? I was thinking one has to have up to A levels proficiency in Chem, right? Or what was your impression? Thanks for any advice, it's appreciated!

Hey ChSH,
    I actually didn't find the science stuff too hard, despite my non chemistry background. There's not much straight chemistry- mainly biochem, so stuff like glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, Krebs cycle, urea cycle, etc. The last time I took chemistry was in secondary school many many years ago and I don't think that would have been A level standard, so I'd imagine you'll be fine.

I know after sitting the GAMSAT I was afraid there would be lots of organic chemistry, but that wasn't the case either. The textbook Veterinary Physiological Biochemistry (or similar title) by Engelking was helpful for me although I have to admit I didn't find a superb resource for biochem, but this was the best one for me and my knowledge level that I came across.
    Brushing up on some biology stuff might help too- DNA synthesis, etc. There are some great online resources too, like the Medical Biochemistry page- I used that one a lot when prepping for exams.

I found that having a good knowledge of anatomy helped me understand some of the biochem processes- also having vet experience with seeing diseases like diabetes or other metabolic disease helped me as I found some of the concepts of metabolism rather boring (and therefore hard to remember) unless I could link them to disease or disorders that occur when there's a malfunction.

Second semester was tougher for me personally as there's more rote memorization of metabolic processes than first semester although I did better on exams than I'd expected for the biochem stuff.

To be honest, I'd expected a harder course load (more like what the 4yr GE course has) and I didn't find most stuff too difficult although I imagine having been to university a couple times already has helped me in that regard :rolleyes:

Are you starting 5 yr GE this year? Feel free to PM me with any questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ChSH

Hi Wisco,

thanks very much for your answer. This is very helpful! Yes, I am starting the 5year program in September...yikes!!! Have been self-studying for quite some time, but the resources you mentioned look like they will help me to better focus on what is relevant for the first year.
    Thanks again for your help and enjoy the rest of your summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

If you're looking for the 5-year degree is LC Chemsitry a requirment? Please say no have biology and ag. science :/

I don't think so- just need 2.1 minimum previous degree, plus good GAMSAT score. You can look at the vet med page on grad entry on UCD's site for more info.
    There is a place to tick what science subjects you've taken on the application, although I'm not sure how important it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

Thanks Wisco. Going to plunge into the Gamsat. Veterinary will be my number one I think, then medicine (getting ahead of myself here). Very daunting experience though, as I've no science background. However, I got A's in Biology and Ag. Science. Going by some sample papers, section two looks like the most challenging, maybe it's just me. I see from some of your previous posts you came from an arts background. Any advice for me ? How long did you take to study for it ? Toughest exam ever ?

Hate to say it, but yeah, worst exam ever. I had about 6 months to study although I only got intense about it towards the end. Section 3 was worst, but depends what your strong suits are.
    My advice- lots and lots of practice q books, and still study your good subjects as verbal reasoning can improve your overall score by quite a bit. I also found it a bit of relief to study things I was good at so I didn't feel quite so stupid after looking thru all that Organic chem. Get the ACER practice tests, but I'd save those til towards the end so you can get proper mock sessions just before the real deal.
    PM me if you have more specific questions. And good luck! All worth it in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 loulou23

Hey just wondering if there are any other graduates starting the 5 year programme in September 2013?
    I can't wait I'm so excited:)
    I am trying to do a bit of study now since I have been out of the study mode for a while.:eek:

You'll be grand :)
    Course load wasn't as heavy as I'd expected and it's amazing what being really motivated does for studying!
    If you need anything when you get there, give me a shout, I'll (hopefully) be in 3rd year and I'm a 5yr grad entry route too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 loulou23

Cheers Wisco :cool:

Advertisement