Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

£30k salary for Developing in London

Options
  • 30-05-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

How far would this salary get you in London? I'd have to relocate the family and find a 3 bed gaff. Can possibly live outside the city for cheaper rent. Is there anyone on here that can give feedback on the salary rate vs cost of living in London area. Is a C++ primarily role.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Dboy85 wrote: »
    How far would this salary get you in London? I'd have to relocate the family and find a 3 bed gaff. Can possibly live outside the city for cheaper rent. Is there anyone on here that can give feedback on the salary rate vs cost of living in London area. Is a C++ primarily role.

30k for you and kids is not workable in my opinion. 30k is houseshare money for a single person.

The cost of commuting in from beyond the edge of London negates any rent savings.

Go on to the London board and ask there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

30k for you and kids is not workable in my opinion. 30k is houseshare money for a single person.

The cost of commuting in from beyond the edge of London negates any rent savings.

Go on to the London board and ask there.

agreed...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Cheers for the feedback, the 30k is the minimum negotiation price from them, they said up to 45. Just trying to find out the minimum cost of living that wont have me counting pennies at the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Cheers for the feedback, the 30k is the minimum negotiation price from them, they said up to 45. Just trying to find out the minimum cost of living that wont have me counting pennies at the end of the week.

Council tax is £100/mth upwards; travel within zone 2 is £120. Then utilities & daily spend. Find misc stuff like lunch/haircuts, etc to be cheaper than Ireland & obviously free medical, but rent is definitely dearer.

If you go outside London you will pay the difference on additional travel, but might get a nicer house with family etc.

For some main rental sites akin to Daft, check out:
    1. Spare Room (Flatshare site primarily, but advanced options you can search whole houses)
    2. Gumtree (Lots of scams too though)
    3. Foxtons (Estate Agent, lots in south London ish)

PM if you like, happy to discuss my limited knowledge :)
    (Over here two years, but no kids to look after yet ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

£30k isn't much for a developer. Are you experienced? I would imagine you could get more if you are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think that would be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

30k isn't even a decent graduate salary for London. For outside London it would be ok.

As others have said: do not underestimate the cost of renting in London. If you do rent somewhere cheap outside it you will spend half your life on a train commuting, I would not recommend.

John_Mc wrote: »
    £30k isn't much for a developer. Are you experienced? I would imagine you could get more if you are

Well technically I'm a graduate but I didn't sit on my arse through college. I started my own business and worked the contract game while studying for 2+ years also sub contracting at the same time. The job I'm in now had no problem hiring me for an almost lead development role going on my previous experience even though I've just finished college and good graphics programmers are pretty rare. Looking at the other graduates and what they have on their CV I'd be muffed if I was on the same pay grade. HR will probably wave the "just finished college" card in my face and disregard my experience as a negotiating tool. Personally I wouldn't take the job if the offer was less than 40k just because of the location but idk if that's enough even.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    30k isn't even a decent graduate salary for London. For outside London it would be ok.

As others have said: do not underestimate the cost of renting in London. If you do rent somewhere cheap outside it you will spend half your life on a train commuting, I would not recommend.

I seen the average was about 40k stg but hardly that high for a graduate? If thats the norm for a grad, I want 50 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Since you have industry experience, I would aim for something beyond graduate roles even though you are technically a graduate!

No disrespect to grads, but without experience it's always a bit of gamble as to whether they have a clue or not and how quickly they can get up to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

30k is poor. I got 42 when I moved and I'm not that experienced. 30k is graduate level. Keep looking - there's loads of development jobs in London.

• Advertisement

30k is poor. I got 42 when I moved and I'm not that experienced. 30k is graduate level. Keep looking - there's loads of development jobs in London.

Cheers for the feedback, what kind of role was that technology wise? Sounds like I'm tryin to get shafted :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Cheers for the feedback, what kind of role was that technology wise? Sounds like I'm tryin to get shafted :pac:

I've PM'd you with some details.

Advertisement