Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmboard - Skim or plaster?

• 30-05-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I have installed warmboard throughout the downstairs of my house. I used mushroom fixings to fasten the 50mm board to the concrete walls. I have a bag of plaster and it was my intention to just plaster over the joints and the mushrooms myself but now I am second guessing myself and thinking that I should get it skim coated instead for a more smooth finish and better heat retention.

Has anyone done skimmed or plastered here and had any regrets?

I had a pretty tight budget going into this, I dont know if I could handle a plasterers rate - from what I can gather they charge a lot. I have three walls to cover.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

You use skrim tape over joints then use Skim plaster to finish, it normally takes two coats.

If you are just doing the joints,then its Metal-Backed Paper Drywall Tape you use with joint filler.

My advise is, get a pro in......

3 walls shouldnt cost the earth....Couple bags of skim is about 14 euro, roll of tape maybe 7 euro (not sure)...3 walls by a decent plasterer would take him a day depending on size of walls....You can't beat a nice skimmed wall done properly. Get a couple of quotes and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

you should be able to get some one for 100 euro,tell him you`ll help with labor

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Thanks folks, couldn't find anyone reasonable so I'm just plastering the gaps myself. Hopefully it turns out well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

engrish? wrote: »
    Thanks folks, couldn't find anyone reasonable so I'm just plastering the gaps myself. Hopefully it turns out well!

What kind of quotes were you getting just out of interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

dodzy wrote: »
    What kind of quotes were you getting just out of interest ?

€250 - €350 for three walls. Had a tight budget going into it so I had to stick to it.

• Advertisement

engrish? wrote: »
    €250 - €350 for three walls. Had a tight budget going into it so I had to stick to it.
    you were right to stick to your budget. The cheapest of those quotations was high. The upper end was ridiculous, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

dodzy wrote: »
    you were right to stick to your budget. The cheapest of those quotations was high. The upper end was ridiculous, plain and simple.

how do you know its dear, do you know the exact size of the walls,was it labour and materials, did you put a straightedge on the walls to see was there going to be as much work in bonding straightening the walls as there was skiming,if there was windows that needed beading or even outside corners,rooms to be cleared ???

Dupont wrote: »
    how do you know its dear, do you know the exact size of the walls,was it labour and materials, did you put a straightedge on the walls to see was there going to be as much work in bonding straightening the walls as there was skiming,if there was windows that needed beading or even outside corners,rooms to be cleared ???
    You're right... Let's see if the OP can elaborate on what was quoted.

Advertisement