Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Fishing - Dublin Area - Memorial Gardens - Island Bridge

Options
  • 30-05-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,

I am new to fishing and have taken it up recently, I live near the memorial gardens just at island bridge in Dublin and from what i've heard/read you dont need a licence to fishing there so i went there today for a few hours with no luck at a catch!

I was just wondering about advice on the area if anyone has any, Ive been told you can catch salmon and trout there, does anyone know of any other fish or has anyone had any luck there? also what is the best method for catching there and am I too early in the season or is it all year round fishing?

I was using a float with a single non barbed hook and a maggots today with about 1 and a half foot depth. is there a better method or am i completely arse ways about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mattcullen

How's it going Aaron. Some of the more experienced on here might confirm but from what I understand there's a couple of things you might want to check:

- You need a licence to fish for salmon anywhere in the country but not for brown trout. I think there might be free fishing in this area but what that means is that it's not a club controlled water like many other areas and therefore you don't need to pay for a permit from a club/join the club that has the fishing rights
    - I think the Liffey is closed for salmon fishing anyhow
    - Also you might want to check that you can use bait on the Liffey . There was a byle law came in not long ago about use of bait and treble hooks.

If you can't get the info on here or on the inland fisheries website give them a call. I rang them before and found them sound to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aaron_Ragmaan

mattcullen wrote: »
    How's it going Aaron. Some of the more experienced on here might confirm but from what I understand there's a couple of things you might want to check:

- You need a licence to fish for salmon anywhere in the country but not for brown trout. I think there might be free fishing in this area but what that means is that it's not a club controlled water like many other areas and therefore you don't need to pay for a permit from a club/join the club that has the fishing rights
    - I think the Liffey is closed for salmon fishing anyhow
    - Also you might want to check that you can use bait on the Liffey . There was a byle law came in not long ago about use of bait and treble hooks.

If you can't get the info on here or on the inland fisheries website give them a call. I rang them before and found them sound to deal with

Great thanks for that, i might give them a call at some stage, The guy in the tackle shop told me that maggots were ok in the mem gardens but you cant use worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fished that bout two year ago had great luck on the spinner and using minnow
    If you know how to use them your laughin also depending on the depth of that river the fish tend to be quite deep so I would put that float at bout 3- 4 feet from the hook
    All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thomas givens

i would like to join a fishing club in lucan area can you advise me thanking you tom:)

Advertisement