Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chuck Wagon

Options
  • 30-05-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the end is nigh for the Chuck Wagon on th R132. Tonight, construction workers are placing large heavy duty concrete bollards along its operating spot. They are being observed/protected by the Gardai as they work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Sad news but how have they survived for so long in such a dangerous spot? Could they move further north past Blakes cross and provide a pull in area?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sad to see. It'll be sorely missed and far better quality food than supermacs!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Maybe they could re-locate to just off the roundabout at the Centra filling station?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shay Vader

No chance of relocation as it was the council itself that wanted the Chuck Wagon off the road along with the owner of the petrol station. They refused any permission to relocate the Wagon and told them that they were no longer allowed to operate anywhere in the Fingal area. They warned the Wagon they were going to carry out tonights work to block off the road just a few weeks ago.

Very sad to see this coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

That's such a shame. Why are the council so against them relocating elsewhere? They have so many Bridgestone awards too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Fingal CoCo at it best !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Can somebody driving past today please confirm/deny whether they've closed altogether.? Threads like this would not be good for business if they've simply moved elsewhere.…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

From previous posts I would say that Shay Vader is connected to the Chuck Wagon so knows what he is talking about.

Sad day.

Another reason to not be happy with Fingal CoCo.

Eoineo wrote: »
    Can somebody driving past today please confirm/deny whether they've closed altogether.? Threads like this would not be good for business if they've simply moved elsewhere.…

Good news is they have moved further north up the R132 and are in a field approx 100 metres past the left turn for Ballyboughal.

I think its the field in the map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/8Iue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Darn it, I never got to try out the chuck wagon. Sad to hear its gone now and I'll never get to try a breakfast farl :( please can somebody ring Joe Duffy and give out about Fingal cc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Typical Fingal Co.Co. They give planning for a filling station, between two existing stations, at Blakes Cross and Statoil. How much fuel do they think will be sold on the R132, as it's now bypassed by Motorway.

Then Supermac move in after their effort at Blakes Cross failed 3 yrs ago, and now they want to close the Chuck Wagon, to put a guy out of business who is trying to make a living, and getting awards for his efforts.

Truckers know where to get a good value feed, and I hope he has relocated North of Ballboughal turn-off, I have no doubt business will continue, can't see the Truckers, Rep's, white van man, and even a few local politicians, settling for a SuperMac, if Chuck Wagon is available.

Support local enterprise, not greedy multinationals. You can't beat a sausage and bacon butty and a mug of tea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Inbox wrote: »
    Darn it, I never got to try out the chuck wagon. Sad to hear its gone now and I'll never get to try a breakfast farl :( please can somebody ring Joe Duffy and give out about Fingal cc?
    Inbox it is still operating just further North.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I drove out for one this morning and was heartbroken to see the blocks it its place. Hopefully they sort something permanent out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Was it in a safe location even before the building started around it? Frankly surprised tubby lorry drivers weren't creamed over the years waddling across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Was it in a safe location even before the building started around it? Frankly surprised tubby lorry drivers weren't creamed over the years waddling across the road.

You're dead right, during the last year since the road was narrowed at this location, it was becoming a death trap, as when the bus had to stop it was parked out on the main road, which in itself created a serious hazard to the public,with both traffic, and pedestrians put in serious danger. At least their still in the area, Good to see it moved further north.

Bloody hell , just passed the location. Fingdl CoCo really pulled out alm the stops to try and put the Chuck Wagon out of business , pity they weren't so proactive about other things .
    Glad to see they are still in business , I shall be emailing ALL my local councillors on this matter .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

im years threatening to go the chuck wagon ill make it my mission in the next few days to call in to their new spot to support them, from reading the posts on here its a farce whats going on

Passed the new spot on the way home from work. They had a JCB in the field and it looks like they are laying down a surface. It's a quiet enough spot for traffic so don't see why they should me moved on again.

Thankfully The Chuck Wagon has been able to keep going in its new location thanks to the support of local people who are willing to give their permission to operate on their land. All posts about the danger inherent at the old site are very true though it was never by choice, they were forced to operate from there and thankfully the new site is far safer and more suitable for everyone. A new lease of life and hopefully happier times ahead for The Chuck Wagon.

By the way, anyone any idea how much it must've cost the Council to do this? Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Frankly surprised tubby lorry drivers weren't creamed over the years waddling across the road.
    One was killed about 20 years ago.

• Advertisement

That was nothing to do with the Wagon, i presume you're talking about the man that used to sell Fruit & Veg from a truck that was parked near Blakes Cross. He was tragically killed crossing the road to serve a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

"RIP" removed from thread title. :)

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Shay Vader wrote: »
    That was nothing to do with the Wagon, i presume you're talking about the man that used to sell Fruit & Veg from a truck that was parked near Blakes Cross. He was tragically killed crossing the road to serve a customer.
    Yes, now that you say it, was he the lad that was killed crossing the road with a bag of spuds? Apologies for the mix-up!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Glad it's not gone, I used to get it quite a lot.. always seemed to take quite a while to get your food even if the que was short...that would be my only gripe, didn't always have a spare 15 mins on my lunch when i used to work down that direction to stand around waiting for sausages to cook....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Glad it's not gone, I used to get it quite a lot.. always seemed to take quite a while to get your food even if the que was short...that would be my only gripe, didn't always have a spare 15 mins on my lunch when i used to work down that direction to stand around waiting for sausages to cook....

Yes, but it was freshly cooked, better than a Burger that was cooked last thursday, and kept warm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

But that was the whole point. The food was cooked to order. Not fast food re-heats or kept warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Kumsheen wrote: »
    But that was the whole point. The food was cooked to order. Not fast food re-heats or kept warm.

Yea i get that, The used to have a phone in order system too, never answered the phone :rolleyes: ...must pat them a visit some sat morning when im not pushed for time.

Yea i get that, The used to have a phone in order system too, never answered the phone :rolleyes: ...must pat them a visit some sat morning when im not pushed for time.

You can (and I have) phone your order in on +353 (85) 198 2105.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Used to get the breakfast there when working out by the airport, put on about 2 stone ! beautiful food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

DarrenG wrote: »
    Good news is they have moved further north up the R132 and are in a field approx 100 metres past the left turn for Ballyboughal.

I think its the field in the map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/8Iue

Pity it's past blakes cross. They'll miss out on the passing business that turns off there. Appears to be a very bad show from fingal county council tbh trying to stop a long running business like that. Would love to hear their side of the story.

Must say I do love treating myself to the occasional chuck wagon. Nom nom nom.

Advertisement