Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Insurance number

• 30-05-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I'm an 18 year old and I want to go and work for an adventure company called Neilson next summer. However I am from Ireland and they are insisting I need a Uk national insurance number.

This is proving a big pain in the bum because It seems i cannot get one of these numbers without living in the UK. But i don't want to live in the Uk, I just want to work for a UK company abroad.

Does anyone know what my options are here, with regards to getting a NIN without going and working in the UK first?

Help much appreciated, I'm head wrecked!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

sazmc wrote: »
    ...Help much appreciated, I'm head wrecked!

you'll have to speak to a grown-up at the company. an NINO is to identify you within the UK tax, NI and benefits system - if you are not being paid in the UK, then i assume you won't pay UK tax, in which case you won't need a NINO.

could you clarify the working arrangements - where you'll be working, where the bank account that your wages will be paid into is, whether you'll be 'Working out of' the UK, or completely overseas?

its not a complete disaster if they insist on a NINO - you can start work without one, from recall they take about 8 weeks to come through, and you can use your companies address. definately clarify with the employer what your tax/employment status will be, and talk to a senior HR person within the company, and make sure they know your situation - nothing like having a conversation with someone who thinks you're a mind reader...

Advertisement