Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Head Appreciation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Was 2014 when they played the academy, not 2015.

Only by a matter of days I remember they were wearing Santa hats at the performance in Fibbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Scathing review of the new album from Decibel magazine
    DECIBEL MAGAZINE SLAMS "CATHARSIS"!
    The former-Decibel cover stars new album gets called "juvenile", "stupid", "endlessly pummeling" and a "Super Collider-level-miss".

Oh, and hey... **** YOU Jeff Treppel!!

Read the entire review below:

MACHINE HEAD - CATHARSIS

EVERYTHING OLD IS NÜ AGAIN

Let’s just tear off this Band-Aid:

The new Machine Head is a 74-minute rap metal album with a song that sounds like the Dropkick Murphys in the middle. Maybe Robb Flynn really misses the late 90’s (although, let’s be honest who doesn’t these days)? Maybe, after a decade of ridiculously great progressive groove metal records, Flynn decided to blow off some steam by going back to "The Bleeding Red’s" knuckle-dragging simplicity?

The frustrating thing about Catharsis is that Machine Head are great even when they’re making bad music. The Soulfly tribal breakdowns on “Volatile,” the drop tuning on “Beyond The Pale,” the whiteboy hip-hop of “Triple Beam” (nothing more “street” than gymnastics metaphors), the anti-gentrification screed “California Bleeding” –they’re effective in the same primal way that the best Rage Against The Machine and Korn hits were back in the day. None of it feels half-assed; these are clearly well-crafted songs.

It’s all just so stupid.

As intermittently satisfying as the nu-metal approach may be, Flynn and his bandmates have proven themselves more than capable of expressing their rage articulately. This feels juvenile from dudes pushing 50. There are certainly some interesting parts mixed in; unfortunately, with 15 songs, any nuances get lost in the endless pummeling.

Frankly, I’m baffled. This is a "Super-Collider"-level miss from a band that seemed to have ditched this phase long ago.

"Catharsis" drops Jan. 26th

What do you think?

Just a quick scan through, and it seems someone was really disappointed with the new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Scathing review of the new album from Decibel magazine

Just a quick scan through, and it seems someone was really disappointed with the new album.

I've been critical myself but I'll give it a chance first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The above sounds great, I'll finally get my sequel to Supercharger!

Is there anyone out there and the 2 newer tracks are dirt sounds like that trend doesn't stray from the rest of the album which is a pity.

Flynn is an oddball unlike his bandmates he wanted little interaction with fans when he was in Fibbers (which is obviously fine) but strange when he seems really keen on spouting news/sh1te over the internet, kinda like that acquaintance who has no interaction with you in your environment but would add you on Facebook etc regardless.

• Advertisement

The above sounds great, I'll finally get my sequel to Supercharger!

I bloody love Supercharger, that and The Burning Red were my introduction to the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I bloody love Supercharger, that and The Burning Red were my introduction to the band.

We are few in number, us fans of Supercharger.
    All the cool kids laugh at us - despite me being a fan long before and after (since the SFX gig many moons ago).
    :pac:

Rain checking on this album, the 4 tracks released so far have me convinced this album is gonna be the drizzling ****s..

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Rain checking on this album, the 4 tracks released so far have me convinced this album is gonna be the drizzling ****s..

Yeah, I’m thinking the same way. Been a fan since Burn My Eyes but everything I’ve heard from this new album is awful. It’s a major misstep I think. Flynn’s ego has gotten the better of him here.

Dargull wrote: »
    Yeah, I’m thinking the same way. Been a fan since Burn My Eyes but everything I’ve heard from this new album is awful. It’s a major misstep I think. Flynn’s ego has gotten the better of him here.

I do wonder how many others feel the same way?

And whoever runs the Machine Head Facebook page are slamming critical reviews of the album, someone in the camp not too fond of criticism it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 hot tube productions

Totally agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I put myself through it the other day and it veers between dull to awful. Triple Beam sets a new low in their catalogue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Gaoth Lag

Farcical band deliver their most farcical record to date.

Robb Flynn is some piece of work. Anyone see his Vegan post at xmas? Thick beyond belief.

I put myself through it the other day and it veers between dull to awful. Triple Beam sets a new low in their catalogue.

I listened to it today, it's bad :(, oh Robb why you no stick with what you do best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Had one listen on Spotify, could only get half way through it!

Delete!!

Bumping this as Robb has said in a Facebook Live video, that both Phil & Dave have quit the band & Jared had kinda quit. They'll do whatever dates they've left, it's the end of this lineup anyways.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/machine-head-split-up

Found it odd the way Robb communicated with the fans more so when I ran into him in Dublin his online persona certainly seemed separate to reality has to sell his band I guess, take nothing away outstanding live band and probably the best line up they've had, last album was junk however.

Maybe they'll stay a new band with Adam or Logan

Announcement made - Logan Mader and Chris Kontos return to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of "Burn My Eyes" they have published European dates also.

Thurs 7th November - Telegraph Building, Belfast
    Fri 8th November - Olympia Theatre, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

No Duce, No Dice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

We should have seen this coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

The dublin gig is the last night of the tour too, should be whopper. Olympia though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Holy ****ing **** Kontos is back!!!

Blood for Blood, Davidian... Getting tickets for this!

They are on sale Friday at 10.

Wonder if they'll turn up in Fibbers like the last time they ended a tour here right before Christmas in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Wonder if they'll turn up in Fibbers like the last time they ended a tour here right before Christmas in 2014.

Is Fibbers the bar that sells bottles of buckfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Holy ****ing **** Kontos is back!!!

Blood for Blood, Davidian... Getting tickets for this!

The weird thing is that Kontos and Mader are only playing the BME part of the concert. The rest will be played by Robb, jared and "two other ragers". WTF?

Part I - will feature a battery of MACHINE HEAD’s modern classics, such as ‘Imperium,’ ‘Halo,’ and, ‘The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears,’ featuring frontman/guitarist Robb Flynn and bassist Jared MacEachern performing alongside two, soon-to-be-announced ragers on guitar and drums.

Part II - will feature the Bay Area band’s classic debut album, ‘Burn My Eyes’ played in its entirety for the first time ever. And if somehow this historical event could not be monumental enough, taking the stage for this part of the set will be ‘Burn My Eyes’-era alumni and MACHINE HEAD’s original drummer Chris Kontos and original guitarist Logan Mader.

As much as I'm dying to see Burn My Eyes played in it's entirety, I'm more curious to find out who Robb's brought in to fill the positions vacated by Phil & Dave respectively.

Obviously they'll be hired guns, but will they be experienced hired guns, or two people being given a chance.

• Advertisement

One would have to suspect they will be two known musicians. Will Slayers tour have concluded by the time this kicks off? Would not surprise me to see Holt as one of the two if it is. Meh, dont care anyway, got me ticket this morning and trying to decide whether to upgrade to the VIP package.

Advertisement