Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad vibes in work, when to go?

Options
  • 30-05-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Regular poster but going annon for this one. Have a slightly tricky one for you here.

Basically I'm in a sales job about 6 months now. All was going pretty well until a former employee came back to her job and sadly I'm not happy at all there now since her return.

One of my colleagues has already left because of her (basically she is stealing sales/new clients, acting completely innappropriately in the office etc since her return).

Unfortunately she seems to have the boss wrapped around her little finger (I'm sure you have all experienced this type), so approaching him will probably just add fuel to the fire.

Now I know I'm finishing up to go back to college in September and have enough saved up to support myself through it. Should I just hand in my notice now and get it over with or stick it out till August?

Also, when I do hand in my notice the inevitible question of why will crop up. What should I say? I'm thinking of just saying that I'm off back to college and I'm heading off travelling rather than mentioning the current atmosphere in the place. The last place I left got quite bitter and annoyed over me leaving and I'd like to avoid a repeat of that if at all possible.

Also I'm slightly concerned that 2 6 month jobs within a year on the CV may come back to haunt me at a later stage, should I at least try to serve 9 months in this one for my CV's sake?

Appologies for the rambling post but I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you're leaving soon anyway, seems pointless to go early. Stick it out, stop worrying and enjoy the cash it's bringing in tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

To be honest 6 or 9 months won't mak a difference on your CV; it is still going to be seen as short jobs.

As for what to say; want to focus on your studies and that's it. Nothing you say will make a difference so why burn a bridge for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers for the advice sofar.

Reckon I'll hand in the notice mid June to finish up at the end of the month.

Going to tell them that I'm going back to college and that I'm going travelling before hand and that I'm giving my notice now so that they can find a replacement for me with the minimum of fuss (that way I'm being helpful to them and avoiding burning any bridges).

My colleague didn't handle his last few ways too well (basically he told the female colleague who was causing all the trouble exactly what he thought of her and by god did that cause come drama!!). Basically I want to avoid a repeat of that at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

Honesty is the best policy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Going to tell them that I'm going back to college and that I'm going travelling before hand and that I'm giving my notice now so that they can find a replacement for me with the minimum of fuss (that way I'm being helpful to them and avoiding burning any bridges).

This. Life's too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The_fever wrote: »

There's really very little to be gained by having a bitching session.

The person causing the problem was a former employer and then re-hired. They clearly like her, to take her back.

No reason to burn bridges for the sake of a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The_fever wrote: »

Well ... lying is the worst policy.

But there's a big difference between telling the truth and telling the whole truth.

I'd go so far as to say that the operation of civil society depends on people keeping their more honest extreme opinions to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You are leaving, an exit interview has zero benefits for you.

You have nothing to gain but a bit to lose
    Even if all your complaints are valid they may take offence and remember you as bitter.

Just stick with your traveling/studies story and say you enjoyed your time there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Pack it in. Sounds like your head has already moved on.

I'd be aiming to leave at the end of June. Enjoy the freedom of July and August, a bit of chill out time before the heading into your studies. You need to have the head in the right place.

Money isn't everything and if you already have enough, why bother sticking it out.

I wouldn't make a big deal about leaving, in other words, hand in your notice, thank your employer for the opportunity, ask politely for a reference before finishing on the last week and leave it at that. Keep everything very generic and calm.

If they push you for reasons for leaving early, its easy enough, just say you need to prepare yourself for your studies and personal reasons. You don't have to say anything more than that, nobody will care once you're gone, it's your life.

Right so I went and handed in the notice today and was presented with an interesting choice by the boss. I can stick it out to the end of July (and potentially make an extra 1k in commission on top of the basic) or be 'laid off' for the end of June and thus be able to claim dole for July and August.

Moral hazard aside, option B seems a very interesting prospect. Now I have never claimed dole in the past (basically have always worked full time when the time allowed me) so possibly wouldn't have the first clue where to start but the option of finally being able to sit on my backside and get paid for it for 2 months is quite appealing to tell the truth.

What would you do in this situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Right so I went and handed in the notice today and was presented with an interesting choice by the boss. I can stick it out to the end of July (and potentially make an extra 1k in commission on top of the basic) or be 'laid off' for the end of June and thus be able to claim dole for July and August.

Moral hazard aside, option B seems a very interesting prospect. Now I have never claimed dole in the past (basically have always worked full time when the time allowed me) so possibly wouldn't have the first clue where to start but the option of finally being able to sit on my backside and get paid for it for 2 months is quite appealing to tell the truth.

What would you do in this situation?

OptionA is the better one. Is seems quite obvious they need you/hold you in high regard. The 1k bonus would be nice but make sure it's in writing such as a general email. You will most likely get a great reference for helping them out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you stick it out til the end of July you get your wages for July and could also be able to get the dole for August.

The dole is 188 a week so to me it looks far safer financially to stick it out til the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If you stick it out til the end of July you get your wages for July and could also be able to get the dole for August.

The dole is 188 a week so to me it looks far safer financially to stick it out til the end of July.

+1
    Also, you certainly won't get your dole as soon as you leave. It is taking up to 13 weeks in some cases. Ok, so when you do get it, its back dated, but still.

Also 4 weeks on the dole is worth €815. If you stay til the end of July you'll get your basic wages plus €1000. Figures wise, its a no brainer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Stick it out until you need to leave. More money to keep you going in college. She sounds like someone I used to work with, right bitch, Started claiming I was bitching about her behind her back, which I never did.

Surprise surprise I went for option A. It makes the most sense financially and tbh I don't like the ethical implications of claiming dole after leaving a job and asking my employer to lie about it.

As an interesting aside the 'lady' who has caused this trouble has decided to leave herself. She seems to have told everybody bar the boss (although she has spent all afternoon plastering this information over Facebook instead of working but that's another day's rant).

Everybody in the place bar the boss seems to despise her and is quite glad that she is heading off.

Very strange situation altogether.

Advertisement